Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-18-2018, 11:27 PM   #41
AO41
Golden Member

AO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to behold

Matthews again messing things up
Old 12-18-2018, 11:29 PM   #42
Melonhead
Diamond Member

Melonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant future

Nuggets have 3 starters out? Are they really this stacked or did Mavs make them look better than normal

Also nugget announcers said DJ gave Luka a stare down on his 6th foul that Luka didn’t wait on the screen. I didn’t see the replay so I don’t know if there was any truth to that. Hope not.
Old 12-18-2018, 11:29 PM   #43
AO41
Golden Member

AO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to behold

Luka justbspoke 3 languages in one camera shot lol. You can see the foreign players really likenLuka and respect him. There are a few of thosebIbeouldnt mind seeing on the Mavs in the future so never too early to start recruiting lol
Old 12-18-2018, 11:30 PM   #44
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotus5944 View Post
Dang we can't stop them for long stretches
Yeah, for the first four quarters. We would have had 'em in overtime I'm sure though.
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 11:33 PM   #45
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Nuggets have 3 starters out? Are they really this stacked or did Mavs make them look better than normal
Well they are #1 in the West. They take care of home court at 8-3 and then better than split on the road at 8-6. So maybe they are playing a little above themselves but I'm betting their normal bench players are really stepping up given the opportunity with so many injuries.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:29 AM   #46
Melonhead
Diamond Member

Melonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant future

Luka took the blame for DJ moving screen so I’m guessing the stare down was legit from DJ. Oh well least of our problems.
Old 12-19-2018, 12:39 AM   #47
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Bullets:
  • We gave Nuggets a fight. Couldn't really pull it off in the end, which is fine on the road. What makes this loss stink are the two atrocious showings against Suns and Sac.
  • Luka's shooting woes continue.
  • Key stretch was that 14-0 run by Denver to end the third when we were missing very makeable shots. Oh and 33-47 rebounds also won't win you many games.
  • I'm not a fan of Powell lately and tonight he was a team-low -27. Him being great in the second unit with Maxi is mostly because of Maxi. If team defend his roll well, he's simply not giving you anything else outside the occasional hustle. Bad defense, bad shooter, lacks size as a 5 for rebounds. It was certainly a tough matchup for him tonight, but need to get the Wurzburg connection out there and figure it out somehow. The good will outweigh the bad.
  • Luka more and more settling into the playmaker role. It sucks for DSJ, but these minutes without Dennis are gold for Doncic's development.
  • One of the rare games that we didn't get anything out of DFS, not even on the defensive end.
  • With 5:21 to play you could witness a classic Wesley. In a crucial late-game situation we give him the iso post-up and he coughs it up. These possessions have to run through Luka or bust.
j0Shi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 03:25 AM   #48
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewizard View Post
Wish The Mej could get some minutes against Jokic tonight. He's killing Powell.
Is it just me or does anyone else think Rick is falling too much in love with his rotations?
He has 13 or 14 guys with various attributes and skills at his disposal yet he continues to stick with same rotation no matter what the situation is.

Guys like Mejri and Broek could actually provide something in various situations and matchups. Plus it wouldn’t hurt for guys like Barnes, Powell and Wes to sit a few more minutes when they aren’t producing.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 03:41 AM   #49
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
Is it just me or does anyone else think Rick is falling too much in love with his rotations?
He has 13 or 14 guys with various attributes and skills at his disposal yet he continues to stick with same rotation no matter what the situation is.

Guys like Mejri and Broek could actually provide something in various situations and matchups. Plus it wouldn’t hurt for guys like Barnes, Powell and Wes to sit a few more minutes when they aren’t producing.
I think Rick has taken away minutes from Powell at times, but he'll never take them away from Wes or Barnes no matter how they play.

Still think the team needs DSJ. Brunson isn't anywhere near as good as he is despite the ridiculous hate. Think this is a win with a healthy Smith.

Luka still had a fantastic game despite the poor shooting.

Man, DAJ goes through long stretches of not giving defensive effort. Wasn't quite as bad this game as everyone gets torched by Jokic, but definitely starting to get pretty annoying...
Old 12-19-2018, 04:40 AM   #50
burner2014

burner2014 will become famous soon enough

Maxi should get Minutes! We need him in the defense.

Also why do we let Barnes play against Plumlee? Why not give Mejri a Chance? Or at least let Maxi or Powell play against him?

I say it again, as much as I love that Dirk is back, the 2nd unit was a strong unit without him. Dirk's Defense is not existing.

@rimrocker exactly don't understand why Rick doesn't try something out.. Mejri and Maxi are two valid options to defend the Nuggets big man.

Loosing against the Nuggets is okay, but we need to try out stuff to stop them and the bench is full of hungry guys.

DSJ is missng, but not in his Playmaker role. Doncic and Barrea and Brunson doing it well lately. DSJ needs to find a new role and should give Doncic the ball to start the offense.

Last edited by burner2014; 12-19-2018 at 04:41 AM.
burner2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 06:37 AM   #51
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I think Rick has taken away minutes from Powell at times, but he'll never take them away from Wes or Barnes no matter how they play.

Still think the team needs DSJ. Brunson isn't anywhere near as good as he is despite the ridiculous hate. Think this is a win with a healthy Smith.

Luka still had a fantastic game despite the poor shooting.

Man, DAJ goes through long stretches of not giving defensive effort. Wasn't quite as bad this game as everyone gets torched by Jokic, but definitely starting to get pretty annoying...
My take on Brunson is that he is a great rookie because he is smart, plays like a vet and has a decent skillset. However, I think he is playing at or near his ceiling so what we see now is pretty close to what we'll see when he's a vet.
He reminds me of a young Derek Fisher and I think his career will be similar.

DSJ's upside is virtually unlimited and too high to ignore. He has all-star, if not superstar potential so I see him as a much better player now than Brunson even though Brunson might look a little better right now in some people's eyes.

When DSJ settles into his role our backcourt rotation could become lethal with him, Luka and Brunson.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:47 AM   #52
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

DSJ is more talented than Brunson and Brunson was pretty invisible tonight. Not sure how much better DSJ would have been though since when he is on the floor the ball gets taken out of Lukas hands. And the problem tonight was when it wasn't in his hands. I think his defense on Murray would have been better but ultimately it was Jokic who killed us, and from there everything opened up. DSJ wouldn't change that imo. Powell got murdered.

Edit-
Going to reiterate that DSJ long term is still our best option, if it doesn't work with him it hurts our ability to build a contender. And I would not trade him unless it was for a legit all star with the right age to build with and the right fit. But right now it's not exactly working, so I don't see it helping us win last night. DSJ's offense has been pretty bad this year and the ball gets taken out of Luka's hands to make it worse.

Last edited by Bryan_Wilson; 12-19-2018 at 06:54 AM.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 08:43 AM   #53
burner2014

burner2014 will become famous soon enough

The point is DSJ needs another role away from the PG. If he can transition to a second ballhandler with a good drive and a solid 3 pointer then he is super valuable. He is just not the floor general that Barrea, Doncic or Burnson are.

I see DSJs role a bit like Devin Harris's role, brings the ball if needed. Drives or shoots the 3ball.

Last edited by burner2014; 12-19-2018 at 08:44 AM.
burner2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 11:12 AM   #54
Melonhead
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner2014 View Post
Maxi should get Minutes! We need him in the defense.

Also why do we let Barnes play against Plumlee? Why not give Mejri a Chance? Or at least let Maxi or Powell play against him?

@rimrocker exactly don't understand why Rick doesn't try something out.. Mejri and Maxi are two valid options to defend the Nuggets big man.

Maxi was out for injury last night. But when he's available I dont understand why Maxi and not Powell loses minutes to Dirk.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:18 AM   #55
Melonhead
Diamond Member

Quote:
My take on Brunson is that he is a great rookie because he is smart, plays like a vet and has a decent skillset. However, I think he is playing at or near his ceiling so what we see now is pretty close to what we'll see when he's a vet.
He reminds me of a young Derek Fisher and I think his career will be similar.

DSJ's upside is virtually unlimited and too high to ignore. He has all-star, if not superstar potential so I see him as a much better player now than Brunson even though Brunson might look a little better right now in some people's eyes.

When DSJ settles into his role our backcourt rotation could become lethal with him, Luka and Brunson.
I do not see all star potential...yet. He has one mode, try to get you to bite on one of his dribbles, then bee line for the rim. Its worked his whole life up until the NBA. He has to learn to slow down his game, pick his spots, and do better at not getting blocked at the rim (wouldnt hurt to study harden/westbrook)
Old 12-19-2018, 11:19 AM   #56
rimrocker
Diamond Member

I think it is obvious with DSJ it is all about fit. The talent is there though.

My biggest concern about the DSJ/Luka situation is whether they will ever compliment each other. I'm not sold on the fact that DSJ will be at his best as an off-ball guard. He might be able to make it work but will he be able to reach his full potential?

I'm also concerned that in order for one to flourish the other's development will be compromised in the process. Right now Luka is vastly overshadowing DSJ and that could very well be detrimental to DSJ's development as a Mav.

Honestly, I feel for DSJ because he has been put in a precarious situation. Last season he was considered the PG of our future and now he is asked to take on a different and seemingly lesser role. A very tough pill to swallow for a young budding star imo.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:21 AM   #57
MavzMan
Golden Member

I'm also really curious why The Mej didn't play last night. He's a physical player that matches up well with both Jokic and Plumlee.

I also agree with Rimrocker that Brunson is pretty much maxing out his potential right now. He will be a very solid role/bench player. DSJ has a much higher ceiling which needs another year or two to develop, specially with this stupid wrist injury which is setting him back. This why I'm all against trading him.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:29 AM   #58
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
I do not see all star potential...yet. He has one mode, try to get you to bite on one of his dribbles, then bee line for the rim. Its worked his whole life up until the NBA. He has to learn to slow down his game, pick his spots, and do better at not getting blocked at the rim (wouldnt hurt to study harden/westbrook)
Well that is just it, how will we ever know DSJ's full potential if Luka is dominating the ball? Dominating the ball is what DSJ should be doing with his gifted abilities and talents.

This is just a bad situation for DSJ imo because his ability to develop those things will be hampered by Luka's dominance. I'm certainly not advocating to take the ball out of Luka's hands but the situation is what it is and I think DSJ will have a hard time adapting because his skills are more conducive to guys like Harden/Westbrook/Lillard.

Last edited by rimrocker; 12-19-2018 at 11:29 AM.
Old 12-19-2018, 11:51 AM   #59
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

DSJ has a long ass way to go to become an all-star level player. If he can't do it with Luka, Barnes, Wes and DJ then who can he do it with? If you have to handpick the perfect lineup for a guy to be successful and realize his potential then maybe he is lacking a lot of BBIQ. I think he could win a cpl dunk contests, but all-star is not even on the radar. He needs to make sure he isn't playing PS4 instead of watching film and thinking about how to improve.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:06 PM   #60
musty

musty is on a distinguished road

What about trading Doncic that DSJ can develop his game in future? Mybe Mavs will be better without 77.. Seems to me, teemmates don't like him at all, especially DSJ & Barnes & Wes. Just thoughts?
musty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:28 PM   #61
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner2014 View Post
The point is DSJ needs another role away from the PG. If he can transition to a second ballhandler with a good drive and a solid 3 pointer then he is super valuable. He is just not the floor general that Barrea, Doncic or Burnson are.

I see DSJs role a bit like Devin Harris's role, brings the ball if needed. Drives or shoots the 3ball.
Brunson's 1 assist makes him a great floor general? I like that he plays under control more than Smith does, but I feel that people are drawing wayyy too many conclusions over the 2-3 good games he had. Kid is averaging 2.2 assists in 26 mpg in the last 5. Glad he isn't turning it over, but this great floor general stuff holds no current value.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 12-19-2018 at 12:29 PM.
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 12:54 PM   #62
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavzMan View Post
I'm also really curious why The Mej didn't play last night. He's a physical player that matches up well with both Jokic and Plumlee.
Rick had a great opportunity to use Mejri when Jokic picked up his fourth foul. Mej gets under your skin and might have been able to provoke some sort of retaliation. As it was, Jokic was able to stay on the court because he wasn't really being taxed by DAJ or Powell. I think RC missed a potential game changing moment.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:19 PM   #63
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefrog View Post
Rick had a great opportunity to use Mejri when Jokic picked up his fourth foul. Mej gets under your skin and might have been able to provoke some sort of retaliation. As it was, Jokic was able to stay on the court because he wasn't really being taxed by DAJ or Powell. I think RC missed a potential game changing moment.
I agree with the idea, but Mej must not be playing well in practices because he is wayyy out of the rotation. The thing that bothers me and I am sure Rick to some extent too is that Mej has never fouled anyone and always gets hacked on offense.

Old 12-19-2018, 02:26 PM   #64
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

We got beat down with the Yogi/Barea/Harris 3-guard lineup all last season, but still no Brunson/DSJ/Luka 3-guard lineup (even though the trio actually fits the 1-3 positions)... Maybe these guys are still too inexperienced to make three ball handlers work? I'd love to see it though.

“It’s the Dirk Nowitzki effect on their offense. As a defense, you absolutely overreact to every situation he’s
in -- or even that he’s not in -- and then you lose all sight of your team defensive rules." --Erik Spoelstra

Last edited by Underdog; 12-19-2018 at 02:28 PM.
Underdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 02:52 PM   #65
SMC0007
Diamond Member

I am interested in Dirk replacing Barnes at the same time Maxi in for DJ around the 6 minute mark so they can get more time with Luka. I was really pulling for Powell to continue the trend of his play last season but his 3 ball is terrible and he is not near as effective overall this year. Maxi needs those minutes, he's a better shooter, defender and can actually dribble drive in a bind.

How long can JJB keep up what he is doing? I have no doubt that he can this year and maybe next year but when he is gone there is a big void to fill. Brunson has some time to grow into that role but man JJB has saved our asses too many times to count.

Last edited by SMC0007; 12-19-2018 at 02:53 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 03:13 PM   #66
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
How long can JJB keep up what he is doing? I have no doubt that he can this year and maybe next year but when he is gone there is a big void to fill. Brunson has some time to grow into that role but man JJB has saved our asses too many times to count.
This shows just how mediocre the team is that we're relying on broken down 34 year old JJB to save us in games. Problem is that he gets hurt every season so you simply can't rely on it.
Old 12-19-2018, 03:37 PM   #67
Melonhead
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by musty View Post
What about trading Doncic that DSJ can develop his game in future? Mybe Mavs will be better without 77.. Seems to me, teemmates don't like him at all, especially DSJ & Barnes & Wes. Just thoughts?
musty troll
Old 12-20-2018, 06:54 AM   #68
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Brunson's 1 assist makes him a great floor general? I like that he plays under control more than Smith does, but I feel that people are drawing wayyy too many conclusions over the 2-3 good games he had. Kid is averaging 2.2 assists in 26 mpg in the last 5. Glad he isn't turning it over, but this great floor general stuff holds no current value.
Brunson might have more of an upside as a true floor general but being a floor general doesn't necessarily lead to an all-star. Avery Johnson, Derek Fisher and Jacgue Vaughn were all good floor generals but had average careers and I see Brunson's being similar.

I personally think DSJ has somewhere between Monte Ellis and Westbrook potential and can become a real force for our team. I'm not sure how it will work with Luka but I hope Rick can make it work.

Last edited by rimrocker; 12-20-2018 at 06:55 AM.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:58 AM   #69
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Brunson might have more of an upside as a true floor general but being a floor general doesn't necessarily lead to an all-star. Avery Johnson, Derek Fisher and Jacgue Vaughn were all good floor generals but had average careers and I see Brunson's being similar.

I personally think DSJ has somewhere between Monte Ellis and Westbrook potential and can become a real force for our team. I'm not sure how it will work with Luka but I hope Rick can make it work.
Fisher is a solid comparison and I'd say it is the most likely scenario. Smart dude who can defend and occasionally score, but is mostly out there to keep things from falling apart. Don't know what that means for Smith, though.
Old 12-20-2018, 10:56 AM   #70
SMC0007
Diamond Member

I don't buy into DSJ's success being anyway hindered by Luka. To me it's ridiculous. It's simple, at this point he isn't near as good as Luka with the ball running the offense so he has less time with it and that's exactly how it should be. DSJ is more athletic and can be electrifying with his ability to attack but he doesn't probe like JJ or see angles like Luka. Imo, the best thing for his progress is to be around these guys and soak it all in while adding his strengths. It's still very early and he has had some unlucky injuries this season so he has time to sort it all out and keep growing into what we hope.

Old 12-20-2018, 12:30 PM   #71
MavzMan
Golden Member

Quote:
Well that is just it, how will we ever know DSJ's full potential if Luka is dominating the ball? Dominating the ball is what DSJ should be doing with his gifted abilities and talents.

This is just a bad situation for DSJ imo because his ability to develop those things will be hampered by Luka's dominance. I'm certainly not advocating to take the ball out of Luka's hands but the situation is what it is and I think DSJ will have a hard time adapting because his skills are more conducive to guys like Harden/Westbrook/Lillard.
This only works if you expect one superstar player on your team and the rest are strict role players. That team doesn't exist in today's NBA. I'm not putting them at this level, but picture Luka+DSJ like a MJ+Pippen. I think DSJ could very well become a guy that plays second fiddle to the team franchise player yet at times takes over the game when needed and yet is critical to the success of a playoff winning team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musty View Post
Just say no to drugs.