Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-29-2018, 10:28 AM   #161
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
I have a feeling the Mavs would regret trading DSJ someday but what you and I consider a lateral move, the FO and Rick would probably see as adding maturity to a win-now situation and probably move him for a proven role player.
I'm not opposed to moving him, but it will need to be for something that will benefit us long-term as well as short-term and something that makes sense.

I could be on board with moving DSJ/Wes for Beal in some type of deal because Beal could fill an immediate need and is just entering his prime.
I think he could be a decent fit with Luka because he doesn't need the ball to be most effective. I'm not sure about his D though.
Well I consider Beal a superstar, but the Wizards won't want DSJ with Wall still there. They'd have to move Wall first which will be hard now that Wall is out with a heel injury. Although at least they'd consider blowing it up if Wall is out too long.
Old 12-29-2018, 11:21 AM   #162
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Calmed down a little bit from last night. Not a mad about Dennis shot any longer. As stated it depends on whether you want more growth or success out of this season. If it's the latter, that Dennis shot was bad. Otherwise you'll live with it.

That said, I personally think Luka in the playoffs this year would be more important than DSJ development. But maybe that's being too greedy. Dallas as constructed is not there anyway and there's no harm starting our next 50+ stretch with Luka's second year.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 01:16 PM   #163
AO41
Golden Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

The worst thing about that ending was the fact that DSJ didn’t even get a shot to in time and that’s just not acceptable. Even if he makes the shot it wasn’t on time. How do you let time expire at the end of a game before getting the shot up and there was plenty of time. I guess that’s my biggest disappointment with last night...the fact that DSJ let time run out.

Last edited by AO41; 12-29-2018 at 01:17 PM.
AO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 01:29 PM   #164
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I think we are good on superstars. If you can snag, one? Great, but Doncic is clearly a superstar.

What we need is better supporting cast for him. Our defense is what lost us that game. We were outrebounded by 10 and allowed the Brow to have 48-17. That's what lost us the game, not missing a superstar.

I know the refs were bad and cost us 8-10 points by my estimation, but we lost by two and were outrebounded by 10. That's your problem. Not adding a scoring superstar.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 12-29-2018 at 01:59 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 02:15 PM   #165
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

11 points in 11 minutes.
Old 12-29-2018, 02:27 PM   #166
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Specifically offensive rebounds killed us last night. They murdered us in 2nd chance points. 20 orebs and another 5-7 that were team offensive boards where we didn't secure the rebound. According to bbref we gave up 41.7% oreb last night. Yeah you won't win many games doing that. And with as many bigs as this team has that shouldn't happen. The last game we played them way back 3 days ago we gave up 15.6% oreb. And the first meeting we gave up 12.8%. That's a ridiculous disparity. On top of that we had too many turnovers and too many ft misses.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 02:57 PM   #167
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah the problem is the guards on this team can't rebound worth shit in a shoe bag. Even Luka only had 2 which is very uncharacteristic for him.

Not really sure how you'd improve the defense. DSJ, Kleber and DAJ are three of the best defenders on the team and all started. Barnes and Luka are decent on that end but not great. Definitely think it's more rebounding this game.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:47 PM   #168
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Yeah the problem is the guards on this team can't rebound worth shit in a shoe bag. Even Luka only had 2 which is very uncharacteristic for him.

Not really sure how you'd improve the defense. DSJ, Kleber and DAJ are three of the best defenders on the team and all started. Barnes and Luka are decent on that end but not great. Definitely think it's more rebounding this game.
Honestly there aren't that many players that are rebounding on par with league averages for their position.

Doncic is the only guy at three different positions (PG, SG, and SF) that is rebounding at a rate consistent with a starting caliber rebounder
Jordan and Mejri are elite (top 15) rebounders at the center spot

Basically everyone else is absolute trash rebounding-- not just the guard spots. Other than Doncic, Jordan, and Mejri there isn't a single player who is keeping up with rebounding rate (which is a measure of rebounds gathered in versus rebounds available and is independent of time played).

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 12-29-2018 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-29-2018, 08:27 PM   #169
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Honestly there aren't that many players that are rebounding on par with league averages for their position.

Doncic is the only guy at three different positions (PG, SG, and SF) that is rebounding at a rate consistent with a starting caliber rebounder

Basically everyone else is absolute trash rebounding-- not just the guard spots. Other than Doncic, Jordan, and Mejri there isn't a single player who is keeping up with rebounding rate (which is a measure of rebounds gathered in versus rebounds available and is independent of time played).
Nice charts. Can you do defensive ones as well? I'd like to know where the players stand defensively. Overall stats show 15th in opp points and 22nd in opp fg% which isn't very good. 15th in opp 3 pt percentage.

Basically the Mavs are a mediocre team. The thing is...why are so many fans surprised? It seemed like most fans knew that .500 was a likely outcome. Can't let a great young player somehow fog reality. Hell, without Luka, we'd be doing tankathon.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 12-29-2018 at 10:17 PM.
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 10:07 PM   #170
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Nice charts. Can you do defensive ones as well? I'd like to know where the players stand defensively. Overall stats show 15th in opp points and 22nd in opp fg% which isn't very good. 15th in opp 3 pt percentage.

Basically the Mavs are a mediocre team. The thing is...why are so many fans surprised? It seemed like most fans knew that .500 was a likely outcome. Can't let a great young player somehow fog reality. Hell, without Luka, we'd be doing tankathon.

Take those with a huge grain of salt. It can compare relative defensive strength (Mejri being better than Dirk), but everyone is pretty inflated. Mejri is great because he only plays when we're blowing them out. We've been pretty awful defensively so everyone looks bad and it's also skewed by pace.

Still, a few lessons

Kleber may be our best defender
Jordan is awful defensively even if he's 2nd best rebounding center in the league
Dirk is just unbelievably bad defensively at his age

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 12-29-2018 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-29-2018, 10:27 PM   #171
Melonhead
Diamond Member

Melonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant future

Quote:

Which is why itís so important we keep DJ for the future.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:12 AM   #172
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Just saw that the two-minute report backs the refs for not calling the kick ball. US sport refs are the worst because the face no pressure whatsoever. Fake reports for a fake system.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:48 AM   #173
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Which is why itís so important we keep DJ for the future.
For rebounding, sure.
He's also our worst defensive center
Old 12-30-2018, 12:19 PM   #174
AO41
Golden Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
For rebounding, sure.
DJ has added a lot of things to this team that we were missing but there is just something there that I canít put my finger on and I would not be surprised at all if he moves on next summer and we look for a center thatís more skilled and fits even better without Luka. Vucevic or a 80% or better Cousins.
Old 12-30-2018, 12:28 PM   #175
j0Shi
Diamond Member

Quote:
For rebounding, sure.
I'm torn on DJ myself, but the advanced numbers look fine for him. He's an overall plus, because rebounding is important. With him it's probably more about balancing age/decline and price tag.
Old 12-30-2018, 02:52 PM   #176
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AO41 View Post
DJ has added a lot of things to this team that we were missing but there is just something there that I canít put my finger on and I would not be surprised at all if he moves on next summer and we look for a center thatís more skilled and fits even better without Luka. Vucevic or a 80% or better Cousins.
Dont wanna be that guy, but the Vuces defense is even worse than DJs.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 03:06 PM   #177
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
I'm torn on DJ myself, but the advanced numbers look fine for him. He's an overall plus, because rebounding is important. With him it's probably more about balancing age/decline and price tag.
Price tag is key on DJ imo.

I personally don't think nearly a quarter of our cap space should be spent on a center and especially one that doesn't play great defense. If we can't sign any big name FAs I wouldn't mind re-signing him on a one year deal again though. However, I don't think re-signing him should be priority 1 in the off-season. We should secure Maxi before Jordan.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 03:58 PM   #178
AO41
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Dont wanna be that guy, but the Vuces defense is even worse than DJs.
No I agree that defensively he is not the solution. But I also think the days of having guys who solely just roll hard are coming to an end. A big man that can roll even if itís not as good as DJ but also hot 5-10 ft jumpers and have some actual skills around the basket is the way to go.