Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-05-2019, 10:04 PM   #121
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

DSJ having 5 shot attempts is almost inexcusable. That's not who he is. DFS, who actively is exploring as many ways as possible to not shoot, had more shot attempts. He and DFS both get so many good looks in rhythm and just.... for whatever reason pass them up to dribble around for no reason.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2019, 10:05 PM   #122
Melonhead
Diamond Member

Melonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant future

Another spirited moral victory.

Trade Smith in the offseason barring a magical off ball player that can run an offense occasionally. And please don’t resign DFS

Trade Powell/Wes at the deadline.

Trade Carlisle.

Last edited by Melonhead; 01-05-2019 at 10:05 PM.
Melonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:05 PM   #123
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
IMO effort is what makes an NBA team worth watching, regardless of outcome

This team shows very little
100%. I didn't expect to win either of these games but the flagrant lack of effort for long stretches is pathetic. Tonight it is worse since this should have been a win with how poorly Philly played to close it out.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:12 PM   #124
AO41
Golden Member

AO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
Luka played like shit, and he looked tired.
Maybe so but he Has shown that he can turn it on and carry the team. He came back in and helped get the lead down to 4. We just didnít have enough time left. If we wet to win, Luka needs to be on the floor but too many time I think RC really doesnít want to win or just doesnít know how any more and that ultimately start eroding the team and the chesmirty between the players not that it was great to begin with. At the end of the day Luka is our future and he is good enough to help us win and the sooner we can do that the better because again I donít want to waste a single year hoping for these other players to be something they are not.
Old 01-05-2019, 10:12 PM   #125
turin
Golden Member

turin is a name known to allturin is a name known to allturin is a name known to allturin is a name known to allturin is a name known to allturin is a name known to allturin is a name known to allturin is a name known to allturin is a name known to allturin is a name known to allturin is a name known to all

These last two games are just dispiriting. I understand this is a rebuilding year, and there are lots of new pieces, but the degree of regression lately and lack of coaching adjustments is really disheartening. Carlisle has half a dozen different things he could try lineup/combo wise that couldn't yield worse results. SMH

Last edited by turin; 01-05-2019 at 10:18 PM.
turin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:14 PM   #126
turin
Golden Member

turin is a name known to allturin is a name known to allturin is a name known to allturin is a name known to allturin is a name known to allturin is a name known to allturin is a name known to allturin is a name known to allturin is a name known to allturin is a name known to allturin is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by AO41 View Post
Maybe so but he Has shown that he can turn it on and carry the team. He came back in and helped get the lead down to 4. We just didn’t have enough time left. If we wet to win, Luka needs to be on the floor but too many time I think RC really doesn’t want to win or just doesn’t know how any more and that ultimately start eroding the team and the chesmirty between the players not that it was great to begin with. At the end of the day Luka is our future and he is good enough to help us win and the sooner we can do that the better because again I don’t want to waste a single year hoping for these other players to be something they are not.
Personally, I think some of the issue with Luka is his sporadic use. The offense goes a couple of possessions at a time without involving him, but when the other starters dig a hole, you can count on Luka finally being the one bringing the ball up the court. I'd get sick of that after a while if I were him. He needs to be touching the ball and facilitating every possession he's in the game.

Last edited by turin; 01-05-2019 at 10:17 PM.
turin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:35 PM   #127
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Maybe so but he Has shown that he can turn it on and carry the team. He came back in and helped get the lead down to 4. We just didnít have enough time left. If we wet to win, Luka needs to be on the floor but too many time I think RC really doesnít want to win or just doesnít know how any more and that ultimately start eroding the team and the chesmirty between the players not that it was great to begin with. At the end of the day Luka is our future and he is good enough to help us win and the sooner we can do that the better because again I donít want to waste a single year hoping for these other players to be something they are not.
You asked why not put him in at the 9 minute mark. The game looked pretty hopeless at that point, Luka looked tired, the starters sucked, Brunson was working on a triple double, and the bench was playing well. Luka looked like he may have needed that rest. Who knows how well he would have handled those last nine minutes?
Old 01-05-2019, 10:52 PM   #128
AO41
Golden Member

AO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
You asked why not put him in at the 9 minute mark. The game looked pretty hopeless at that point, Luka looked tired, the starters sucked, Brunson was working on a triple double, and the bench was playing well. Luka looked like he may have needed that rest. Who knows how well he would have handled those last nine minutes?
You sound like RC now. How is a 12 pt game with 9 minutes to go hopeless ??

At about the 9m mark the lead was down to 12 which the bench deserves credit for. Sixers weren’t doing much but for the next 3-4 minute neither did our bench and the Sixers pushed the lead back to 14 before RC decided to put the starters back in. That’s 4 minutes that Luka could have potentially helped trim the lead further. All I am saying is that even with a bad night, Luka has shown that he will make good plays and fight out there and when the bench cooled off and wasn’t moving the needle any more, it would have been good to get Luka out there and let him worn for better or for worse.

Last edited by AO41; 01-05-2019 at 10:54 PM.
AO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 11:08 PM   #129
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
That's exactly when you get a new coach though. We're a rebuilding team, but somehow the owner and coach haven't figured that out. I want to win as much as anyone, but we're not anywhere near being championship caliber. That means everyone is on the table minus Luka.

It should start with Harrison, Wes, and DJ who seem to play a different game from everyone else. It's really bizarre.
If we are nowhere near a championship, then why jettison the proven commodity for an unknown?

Rick has gotten a lot out of pretty bad teams in the past and gotten us over the top with a pretty good team. Wait until you have some better players before we just chuck out Rick. If he can't get it done with a good roster then make that move, but don't fire the guy while we are still in a rebuilding phase.

Seriously some of you have a pretty short memory. The last two years the roster was absolute trash, and in the years after the championship he got us into the playoffs with Monta Ellis as the "new star".

And right now, who are you going to get that is better? Seriously, I wish some of you guys would stop ignoring that vital question?

The problem isn't the coach, it's the mediocre players.
Old 01-05-2019, 11:45 PM   #130
AO41
Golden Member

Luka has accelerated our rebuild by years probably and while I agree that we are still rebuilding, that doesnít mean that we shouldnít be making progress and striving to make the playoffs. This team with Luka should be good enough to make the playoffs and RCs coaching and some of the vets not being on board is not helping us. We can rebuild and still make the playoffs. I am starting to get the term rebuilding being tossed around as if itís champions hip or rebuilding.

Luka is way more than I and many anticipated
Dirk is what we expected and along for the ride.
Kleber and Brunson are good pieces. JJ and Harris are good veterans.

Everyone else is disappointing and not what we need. Barnes, DSJ, DJ, Wes and Powell are just not what we though they could be despite decent stats at times and maybe we would apprecite them more and be okay with them throwing away a season IF Luka hadnít come along. But he did and it changed things a lot and some of those players donít seem to like it and RC at time doesnít resemble to like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmacomic View Post
If we are nowhere near a championship, then why jettison the proven commodity for an unknown?

Rick has gotten a lot out of pretty bad teams in the past and gotten us over the top with a pretty good team. Wait until you have some better players before we just chuck out Rick. If he can't get it done with a good roster then make that move, but don't fire the guy while we are still in a rebuilding phase.

Seriously some of you have a pretty short memory. The last two years the roster was absolute trash, and in the years after the championship he got us into the playoffs with Monta Ellis as the "new star".

And right now, who are you going to get that is better? Seriously, I wish some of you guys would stop ignoring that vital question?

The problem isn't the coach, it's the mediocre players.
Old 01-06-2019, 12:12 AM   #131
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Luka has accelerated our rebuild by years probably and while I agree that we are still rebuilding, that doesnít mean that we shouldnít be making progress and striving to make the playoffs. This team with Luka should be good enough to make the playoffs and RCs coaching and some of the vets not being on board is not helping us. We can rebuild and still make the playoffs. I am starting to get the term rebuilding being tossed around as if itís champions hip or rebuilding.

Luka is way more than I and many anticipated
Dirk is what we expected and along for the ride.
Kleber and Brunson are good pieces. JJ and Harris are good veterans.

Everyone else is disappointing and not what we need. Barnes, DSJ, DJ, Wes and Powell are just not what we though they could be despite decent stats at times and maybe we would apprecite them more and be okay with them throwing away a season IF Luka hadnít come along. But he did and it changed things a lot and some of those players donít seem to like it and RC at time doesnít resemble to like it.
The Mavs got very lucky with Luka, this kid has the potential to be the next face of the league. The hype around him is far beyond our own little fanbase. But the Mavs could still easily screw it all up. I think he is going to win multiple championships, the question is will he still be a Mav?

The Pelicans had that opportunity a few years back with Anthony Davis and blew it by trying to go all in too soon. Don't rush the rebuild, hell even Lebron didn't make the playoffs in a weak Eastern conference in his first year. We are in a good position, with multiple big/bad contracts coming off the books soon. The front office just needs to be smart and not make hasty moves for the sake of this first Luka year.
Old 01-06-2019, 02:46 AM   #132
Fragism

Fragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to beholdFragism is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
The Mavs got very lucky with Luka, this kid has the potential to be the next face of the league. The hype around him is far beyond our own little fanbase. But the Mavs could still easily screw it all up. I think he is going to win multiple championships, the question is will he still be a Mav?

The Pelicans had that opportunity a few years back with Anthony Davis and blew it by trying to go all in too soon. Don't rush the rebuild, hell even Lebron didn't make the playoffs in a weak Eastern conference in his first year. We are in a good position, with multiple big/bad contracts coming off the books soon. The front office just needs to be smart and not make hasty moves for the sake of this first Luka year.
Yup, being impatient can seriously backfire
Fragism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 03:56 AM   #133
burner2014

burner2014 will become famous soon enough

At some point it is time for a change. I get bored seeing Rick coaching the Mavs. I would love to have a new coach in the next season.

A new coach that brings a whole new vision to the Mavs and a different playstyle fitting with Luka's of course.

I was really impressed what Brad Stevens build in Boston. If you haven't you can watch his pre-game interview in the Leaguepass before the game against the Mavs. Really clear vision on how he wants to play against us.
burner2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:47 AM   #134
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

This "Fire Rick" is getting really annoying....so everyone who doesnt like Rick, please stop saying "Fire Rick".

Tell WHO should replace Rick *incoming crickets because every available coach sucks*

Last edited by sefant77; 01-06-2019 at 09:48 AM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 09:55 AM   #135
AO41
Golden Member

I see you point but the same argument can be made for not doing it fast enough. With a talent like AD or Luka, you should be putting them in position to win games and play in the post season as soon as they show how good they are. Yes sometimes that may backfire but in 2 year if Mavs arenít a serious playoff contender I would be very concerned about Lukas future here especially if his teammates are like the ones he has now.

Quote:

Old 01-06-2019, 11:35 AM   #136
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner2014 View Post
At some point it is time for a change. I get bored seeing Rick coaching the Mavs. I would love to have a new coach in the next season.

A new coach that brings a whole new vision to the Mavs and a different playstyle fitting with Luka's of course.

I was really impressed what Brad Stevens build in Boston. If you haven't you can watch his pre-game interview in the Leaguepass before the game against the Mavs. Really clear vision on how he wants to play against us.
Is Stevens available? Is anyone better than Carlisle available? Sometimes "change for change's sake" is a horrible, horrible idea that will set back your franchise years, likely driving off your star player. I mean, I'm all ears when it comes to a coaching upgrade, but I don't see any better options out there. Not even close.

Sometimes when the meal tastes like shit it's the cook, but often times it's the ingredients... Maybe give Rick a couple years to build a team around Luka before declaring that he can't run a Luka-centric team? I don't get why everyone is so damn impatient all of a sudden. Doncic is only 19, the championship window will be open for the next 15-20 years.

Quote:
I see you point but the same argument can be made for not doing it fast enough. With a talent like AD or Luka, you should be putting them in position to win games and play in the post season as soon as they show how good they are. Yes sometimes that may backfire but in 2 year if Mavs aren’t a serious playoff contender I would be very concerned about Lukas future here especially if his teammates are like the ones he has now.
Dude, even LeBron's Cavs weren't a "serious playoff contender" (or even a playoff team) in year 2.. You guys need to take ALL the chill pills.

ďItís the Dirk Nowitzki effect on their offense. As a defense, you absolutely overreact to every situation heís
in -- or even that heís not in -- and then you lose all sight of your team defensive rules." --Erik Spoelstra

Last edited by Underdog; 01-06-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:51 PM   #137
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant future

On Rick....
The guy is a coach and will always coach, nothing more.
He is a system coach and will always play players who he feels are the best fits or buy into his system and understand it. We don't really know what goes on in practice, on the sidelines and even in games when it comes to communication, attitudes and chemistry.

I will be the first to say that Rick is a championship caliber coach and may struggle at rebuilding, but he will play the players that he thinks will give him the opportunity to win each and every single game. Donnie and Mark need to understand that if the strategy is to rebuild from scratch they need to make sure Rick only has young players to play to develop. Obviously that isn't the strategy because we have a roster with several veterans in their 30s and several just entering their prime. Rick will obviously feel more comfortable playing the mature players. He'll play the guy that is better today than one that might be a hell of a lot better in the future. Can't necessarily blame him for that if he is just trying to win games.

I think the overall strategy of the FO should be scrutinized more than the coach when it comes to where we are as a team.

Last edited by rimrocker; 01-06-2019 at 12:55 PM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 12:59 PM   #138
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

The problem is the players aren't buying into the system...again. How many more players do we need to come through to see the same thing over and over again?

The entire starting unit looks like utter trash, and you can only use the "new team" excuse for so long. Not only that, but three of the starters could potentially not be on the team next season. We going to use the new team excuse again next season if we aren't winning?
Old 01-06-2019, 01:03 PM   #139
AO41
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Is Stevens available? Is anyone better than Carlisle available? Sometimes "change for change's sake" is a horrible, horrible idea that will set back your franchise years, likely driving off your star player. I mean, I'm all ears when it comes to a coaching upgrade, but I don't see any better options out there. Not even close.

Sometimes when the meal tastes like shit it's the cook, but often times it's the ingredients... Maybe give Rick a couple years to build a team around Luka before declaring that he can't run a Luka-centric team? I don't get why everyone is so damn impatient all of a sudden. Doncic is only 19, the championship window will be open for the next 15-20 years.

Dude, even LeBron's Cavs weren't a "serious playoff contender" (or even a playoff team) in year 2.. You guys need to take ALL the chill pills.
When I said playoff contender I meant making the playoffs. And they SHOULD def be making the playoffs in 2 years and if they are not then we have failed for the first 3 years with Luka. If you remember correctly LeBron left and thaw a sa big reason why and probably same reason why AD will eventually leave.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:08 PM   #140
AO41
Golden Member

Quote:

The other thing is WHY wait a couple of years....started building around him NOW because he exceeded all expectations and shown already that he can be the guy. But RC is stubborn and doesnít want to change or go away from guys like Wes and a few other on the team who at this point have no positive impact on Luka. If you wait 3 years then it will be a few years before that team gels and sonon. By that time weíll be on yearv5 of Luka and still not a very good TEAM.
Old 01-06-2019, 01:59 PM   #141
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
The problem is the players aren't buying into the system...again. How many more players do we need to come through to see the same thing over and over again?

The entire starting unit looks like utter trash, and you can only use the "new team" excuse for so long. Not only that, but three of the starters could potentially not be on the team next season. We going to use the new team excuse again next season if we aren't winning?
I think the difference between this and other seasons though is now we have a clear leader at the age of 19. Yes, Dirk has been the leader but when the team has a leader on the decline it is hard to attract good players and the roster has to change frequently to try to find fitting players. Not much time to do that when your franchise player is mid-30s.

Now we have a franchise star at the age of 19 so I think a complete overhaul of getting young players that are decent fits with Luka will help Rick have guys who will buy into his system and we can be on an upward trend again. I'm sure there will come a point when bringing in vets as role players or that last piece will make sense but I don't think this as the time. I think we need to build and develop that young core first. We seem to be doing it the other way around by filling the roster with vets and then let a 19yo rookie lead the way. That is a recipe for effortless basketball play imo.

Last edited by rimrocker; 01-06-2019 at 02:01 PM.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:26 PM   #142
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

The RC stuff isn't coming out of nowhere. It's been brewing for years.

You can't move the goalposts to suit your fancy. If a bad live ball turnover gets DSJ or Luka yanked it needs to do the same to JJ, Harris, Wes, Barnes, Powell etc... but it doesn't.

If Salah played meaningful minutes and jacked up a 3 with 10 seconds on the shot clock simply because he was open he'd be buried so far on the bench he'd find himself in China. Yet Dwight Powell apparently has a green light despite showing no signs whatsoever of being a 3pt shooter.

If NN gets buried on the bench because he freelances and costs the defense why the hell can DJ do the exact opposite of trying to make a play and basically stand there and refuse to contest shots. Or hey how many times is Wes gambling and getting stupid AF fouls late? No benching... ever.

Crowder gets traded and he gives shots saying he can do more than stand in a corner. I highly doubt he's anywhere close to the only player who has voiced his displeasure at their role in this system, in how it might limit them. And yet the one who clearly should be limited to stand there and shoot is Wes. But no he's practically a 2ndary playmaker when he's on the floor since he has been givin the green light to create whenever he feels like it. In the past people have given the excuse, including me, that we don't have enough talent. Well as far as playmakers go we have more than enough to stop this shit from happening. That is if RC wanted to.

Is it so hard to stagger DSJ and Luka some to get their own rhythms? Literally every team seems to do this except us. Why does DSJ get yanked and only come back maybe 1min before the rest of the starters? I love JJ but if we don't see growth from DSJ this rebuild gets set back by a lot.

So if the excuse is he's trying to win then why is he not even remotely holding certain players accountable or even trying to make adjustments when we are unwatchable on the road most games. Not to mention anyone and everyone knows Kleber makes a difference, yet he can't get off the bench even when the bench is getting drilled to the tune of -25. If the excuse is we have no talent then why are we not putting what little we have in the best position to succeed and grow? He's not immune to criticism and it's not like it just came out of nowhere it's just much louder now and it's deserved.

And as for naming a coach - he's not getting fired so why the hell would I or anyone even bother researching who is available? I think there is a 0% chance he's getting canned this year so the coaches who are available now or the ones who will be in the future would change. Right now though the bar is at an all time low for me. I'd honestly at this point just google coaching candidates.... I'll go ahead and do that now... and poof Jay wright. There, I want Jay wright. That is the most effort I'm going to give this until I hear that RC is in anyway on the hot seat.
Old 01-06-2019, 03:37 PM   #143
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Well we aren't winning relying on the vets. If we were, then it would be a different story, but they are as inconsistent as the young guys. You just can't trust Harry Barnes or Wes Matthews to be consistent.

And yeah, if DSJ continues to play in a shell, then it's a horribly wasted asset. It has nothing to do with playing alongside Luka though. And it's certainly not a lack of talent. It's a lack of confidence at least in my eyes.

I'm not leading a fire Rick brigade by any means, but the flip side is he won't get fired no matter what. There is literally no in-between. No hot seat. Nothing. He could lose every game and it's everyone else's fault but his.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:49 AM   #144
burner2014

burner2014 will become famous soon enough

from @dirt_dobber in the other thread

"Maxi effect...
Andy Bailey@AndrewDBailey
Dallas is -8.7 PTS per 100 possessions (15th percentile) when Luka Doncic is on the floor with the rest of the Mavericks starters.
Dallas is +32.6 PTS per 100 possessions (100th percentile) when Doncic is on the floor with bench staples JJ Barea and Maxi Kleber."

Is Rick checking the statistics? I mean I bet he does as he is a good coach no doubt. But why is he then not trying to let the most effective lineup play? This is just one example.. but I think Doncic with JJ and Maxi on the field was quite successful this year. Not that I need to see that all the time but a bit more often.

Again check his interview where the reporter is asking why he doesn't change his lineup when the second unit is playing bad. Rick really pisses me off with his answer to that really arrogant and not answering the reporter at all just saying "watch the game again bla bla"

You guys have a valid point with finding a better trainer than Rick at the moment who is free to hire, but still if Rick doesn't question himself a bit as well about certain things, then I don't see him building a good contender for a possible championship with Luka as the main leader.

Last edited by burner2014; 01-07-2019 at 04:51 AM.
burner2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:39 AM   #145
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Rick Carlisle is a tinkerer, always has been. He sees the regular season as an extended preseason. This is nothing new, but memories are short. In the 2010-11 season we criticized him for continuing to play Barea through a half-season long 3-point slump, we criticized him for not inserting Roddy B into the starting lineup, we criticized his wonky rotations as we continued to lose against playoff caliber teams throughout the regular season... But it all turned out how it did because he doesn't give a shit about W-L -- just as long as we have enough wins to make the playoffs he can use the data from the regular season to fine-tune his lineups for a best-of-7 series... And I believe he's using a similar approach now, although it's probably more to evaluate longterm fit (or to showcase certain players that we would like to trade).

This team is a mishmash of parts spread over three shifting eras:

1) Wes and Barnes are holdovers from the "we gotta win NOW for Dirk" era. We overpaid these guys to give it one last try...... Yeah, that was the best we could do coming off the "Monta Ellis is our other star" era... And it lingers... These guys get played because they get paid. Rick Carlisle is a company man, get over it.

2) The DSJ era (not the Frank Ntilikina era -- see, it could be worse!) He was the cat's meow in Year 1 of the rebuild, but something awesome happened......

3) The Luka Doncic era... This is where everything changed -- nothing we did in the previous seasons led up to this. It was a gift from the Basketball Gods bestowed unto us in our time of need. Everyone who came before him is void, they just don't know it yet. The plan changed.

These circumstances are why I continue to give Rick a pass. I feel like he's doing the best he can balancing these different eras until we can focus everything around Luka... But it's gonna take time, and Mark Cuban is definitely gonna give Rick the time because Cuban is my bitch and he does whatever I tell him to (sorry about the whole Giannis thing!)

ďItís the Dirk Nowitzki effect on their offense. As a defense, you absolutely overreact to every situation heís
in -- or even that heís not in -- and then you lose all sight of your team defensive rules." --Erik Spoelstra

Last edited by Underdog; 01-07-2019 at 06:42 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:44 AM   #146
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner2014 View Post
from @dirt_dobber in the other thread

"Maxi effect...
Andy Bailey@AndrewDBailey
Dallas is -8.7 PTS per 100 possessions (15th percentile) when Luka Doncic is on the floor with the rest of the Mavericks starters.
Dallas is +32.6 PTS per 100 possessions (100th percentile) when Doncic is on the floor with bench staples JJ Barea and Maxi Kleber."

Is Rick checking the statistics? I mean I bet he does as he is a good coach no doubt. But why is he then not trying to let the most effective lineup play? This is just one example.. but I think Doncic with JJ and Maxi on the field was quite successful this year. Not that I need to see that all the time but a bit more often.

Again check his interview where the reporter is asking why he doesn't change his lineup when the second unit is playing bad. Rick really pisses me off with his answer to that really arrogant and not answering the reporter at all just saying "watch the game again bla bla"

You guys have a valid point with finding a better trainer than Rick at the moment who is free to hire, but still if Rick doesn't question himself a bit as well about certain things, then I don't see him building a good contender for a possible championship with Luka as the main leader.
I don't think there is anyone saying Rick is perfect by any means and he definitely frustrates the hell out of me a lot with his crazy lineups. That is more stubbornness and over loyality than stupidity imo and doesn't necessarily warrant a firing.
I'm royally pissed at him for benching Maxi because it seems he has been one of the most consistent players on the team and plays within his means.

I only defend Rick when people want him fired. If we can ever get the right pieces together to become championship caliber again, I want Rick.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:58 AM   #147
saclare
Golden Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

I'm not fully on board with the Rick needs to go sentiment. HOWEVER, if he can't prove that he can somehow make adjustments and stop being so effing STUBBORN with some obvious things that need to change, then yea, he deserves it.

We are in a rebuild and have an ill-fitting roster. To me, Rick and the Mavs FO have to attack this trade deadline and see what fits the 2nd half of the season. Be realistic, you're not winning anything this season. But you can damn sure figure something out going into next and see how you can build this thing around Luka.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:19 AM   #148
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
IMO effort is what makes an NBA team worth watching, regardless of outcome

This team shows very little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
100%. I didn't expect to win either of these games but the flagrant lack of effort for long stretches is pathetic. Tonight it is worse since this should have been a win with how poorly Philly played to close it out.
Effort and Grit. When this team needs to get dirty, they shy away. They slow up and become hesitant. Tell me who is a dog on this team? JJ for sure, Maxi, Luka, sometimes Messley?

We can't expect some of these guys to just wake up and be better players and stay better consistently all of the sudden and make us happy with wins. But they can damn sure play harder. You gotta be willing to fight for it, be embarrassed, be uncomfortable and they're not all on that page.

As mentioned, make the damn games worth watching because of things you CAN do! You don't have to be a super team to give 100%

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:28 AM   #149
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
I don't think there is anyone saying Rick is perfect by any means and he definitely frustrates the hell out of me a lot with his crazy lineups. That is more stubbornness and over loyality than stupidity imo and doesn't necessarily warrant a firing.
I'm royally pissed at him for benching Maxi because it seems he has been one of the most consistent players on the team and plays within his means.

I only defend Rick when people want him fired. If we can ever get the right pieces together to become championship caliber again, I want Rick.
I think we should wait until after the TDL to see what the rotations look like.

I really think right now Rick is also playing players for the trade market. Trying to win AND showcase trade candidates like Wes and Powell (and maybe even Barnes, if the FO allready realized that he is a bad ballstopper fit with Luka).

"Here, player xy is a solid rotation guy/starter for our 0.500 team in the west" sounds better than "here, the guy is now at the end of our rotation, but you should totally trade for him"
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 11:51 AM   #150
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Rick Carlisle is a tinkerer, always has been. He sees the regular season as an extended preseason.
Except that the completely opposite is happening on the court. He has been ridiculously strict with sets and rotations lately, and people are scratching their heads as to why. The flow offense is flowing like a dormant suburban Houston creek infested with mosquitos.

Listen, if we are showcasing Wes and Harry to move them at the deadline, then I get it. If they are on the team past the deadline, then playing them high minutes just makes no sense.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:46 PM   #151
texasbball

texasbball is just really nicetexasbball is just really nicetexasbball is just really nicetexasbball is just really nicetexasbball is just really nicetexasbball is just really nice

Taken from Mavs Moneyball:
"This starting unit does not work
There’s enough of a sample size (294 minutes) to say this definitively. Dennis Smith, Luka Doncic, Wesley Matthews, Harrison Barnes, and DeAndre Jordan post a net rating of -5.7 points per 100 possessions and that was before tonight’s game where all of the starters but Jordan posted plus minuses of -20 points or more. They are astoundingly bad.

According to NBA lineup data this line up is the worst 5 man unit with 250+ minutes and it’s not even close. Cutting it down to 200 minutes there is one trash fire Chicago Bulls line up that’s worse and a weird Rockets one that doesn’t work either.

What the Mavericks continue to see in this unit is beyond me."

So, WHY keep playing this starting unit? It DOESN'T WORK. The worst line up in the LEAGUE starting, almost the worst PERIOD. There's no good reason.

Doncic should be the de facto starting PG on offense. He sees the floor better than Smith, and has better instincts. He should initiate the offense. I'm not for firing Rick. Yet. But the season is no longer just starting. He's been called a "tinkerer" earlier. But he doesn't change this pathetic starting group. I'd start Kleber at 4, move Wes to the bench, and move Barnes to the 3. As a 4, he's small. Nobody mentions this. 6'8" but not very strong. Doncic plays 2 on defense, but 1 on offense. Reversed for Smith.

At least try something different. What we are doing doesn't work.
texasbball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 02:52 PM   #152
saclare
Golden Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Luka, DSJ, Barnes, Maxi, DJ

Barea, Matthews, DFS, Dirk, Powell

Until Powell is gone, we might be forced to see him more with Dirk. Of course, they could go small seeing as Harris and Brunson need minutes.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 04:14 PM   #153
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasbball View Post
Taken from Mavs Moneyball:
"This starting unit does not work
Thereís enough of a sample size (294 minutes) to say this definitively. Dennis Smith, Luka Doncic, Wesley Matthews, Harrison Barnes, and DeAndre Jordan post a net rating of -5.7 points per 100 possessions and that was before tonightís game where all of the starters but Jordan posted plus minuses of -20 points or more. They are astoundingly bad.

According to NBA lineup data this line up is the worst 5 man unit with 250+ minutes and itís not even close. Cutting it down to 200 minutes there is one trash fire Chicago Bulls line up thatís worse and a weird Rockets one that doesnít work either.

What the Mavericks continue to see in this unit is beyond me."

So, WHY keep playing this starting unit? It DOESN'T WORK. The worst line up in the LEAGUE starting, almost the worst PERIOD. There's no good reason.

Doncic should be the de facto starting PG on offense. He sees the floor better than Smith, and has better instincts. He should initiate the offense. I'm not for firing Rick. Yet. But the season is no longer just starting. He's been called a "tinkerer" earlier. But he doesn't change this pathetic starting group. I'd start Kleber at 4, move Wes to the bench, and move Barnes to the 3. As a 4, he's small. Nobody mentions this. 6'8" but not very strong. Doncic plays 2 on defense, but 1 on offense. Reversed for Smith.

At least try something different. What we are doing doesn't work.
It goes like this....Smith doesn't fit because Wes and Barnes don't fit. See, Smith can easily become the primary shooting guard who has the freedom to shoot, but he can't do that with Wes and Barnes needing the ball in their ISO sets. Matthews is able to catch and shoot better than Barnes, but the team almost always starts the game off with Matthews in the high post. This doesn't excuse Smith's poor recent play, but you can tell the kid has absolutely no defined role.

As I mentioned above though, they have to be playing Barnes and Matthews like that to trade them. There really is no other excuse.