Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-08-2019, 08:05 PM   #121
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Well nobody will have trade value if we keep losing.
But nobody will have value if you stick them on the bench either (thinking of Wes specifically)... "Starter in a prolonged slump" is an easier sell than "starter who regressed so far that we benched their ass." You want to build the perception that a change of scenery can fix what's wrong with the player rather than making moves that indicate their skills have fallen off a cliff. Nobody wants to trade for a guy whose coach has completely lost faith in them, especially when it's a coach as respected around the league as Rick Carlisle.

At least that's my belief until the trade deadline passes... After that, I see no reason to let an expiring player like Wes keep stinking it up in the starting lineup. DJ may have a little bit more leeway if we're looking to re-sign him, and of course we still need to keep trying to showcase Barnes and Powell since there's no guarantee that anyone opts-out this summer, but there's no reason to stay the course with a guy like Wes after the deadline.

The tricky guy right now is Dirk -- he's sooo bad at this point that every time he steps on the floor we fall behind... But how do you bench the face of the franchise? He's my favorite pro athlete ever, but I really hope he retires this summer so we can fully commit to the rebuild (free Maxi Kleber!)

Obviously winning is important for Luka's confidence/happiness, but it's not happening with this roster so we need to focus on maximizing the value of the assets at our disposal or else this is what we're gonna be stuck with.

Last edited by Underdog; 01-08-2019 at 08:13 PM.
Underdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-08-2019, 08:43 PM   #122
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
But nobody will have value if you stick them on the bench either (thinking of Wes specifically)... "Starter in a prolonged slump" is an easier sell than "starter who regressed so far that we benched their ass." You want to build the perception that a change of scenery can fix what's wrong with the player rather than making moves that indicate their skills have fallen off a cliff. Nobody wants to trade for a guy whose coach has completely lost faith in them, especially when it's a coach as respected around the league as Rick Carlisle.

At least that's my belief until the trade deadline passes... After that, I see no reason to let an expiring player like Wes keep stinking it up in the starting lineup. DJ may have a little bit more leeway if we're looking to re-sign him, and of course we still need to keep trying to showcase Barnes and Powell since there's no guarantee that anyone opts-out this summer, but there's no reason to stay the course with a guy like Wes after the deadline.

The tricky guy right now is Dirk -- he's sooo bad at this point that every time he steps on the floor we fall behind... But how do you bench the face of the franchise? He's my favorite pro athlete ever, but I really hope he retires this summer so we can fully commit to the rebuild (free Maxi Kleber!)

Obviously winning is important for Luka's confidence/happiness, but it's not happening with this roster so we need to focus on maximizing the value of the assets at our disposal or else this is what we're gonna be stuck with.
Well Dirk has absolutely nothing to do with the starting lineup which is the primary problem with the team. Dirk taking minutes away from Kleber is questionable, but someone has to have minutes taken away. But that's where the Wes vs Kleber debate comes up steaming. The ONLY reason Wes should be starting over Kleber is because of trade value. Kleber is the only guy on the team that understands help defense. Maybe DFS, but I'd start Kleber.

But how do you not sit one of the three starting vets at this point? The starting lineup is about to explode in a really bad way. Is it really worth keeping that shit train going just to make sure Wesly dumps has trade value? It's a good question for sure.
Old 01-08-2019, 08:49 PM   #123
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I don’t think we have trade assets period

No first rounders
Second rounders have little value
Barea as a vet rental (he’s expiring)
Doncic but he’s untouchable
Kleber
Smith (but not a lot of value)
Barnes as an off-the-bench shooter would have value but he potentially takes 25 mill next year which hurts his value

Matthews as an expiring is almost neutral value unless a team is desperate and the player we trade for has a long deal

Powell has negative value

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 01-08-2019 at 08:50 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:50 AM   #124
turin
Platinum Member

turin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
He was good in Detroit.

Without the Malice in the palace good chances he wins a ring allready in 2005

After 2011 every crap roster overachieved. Just go through all the shitty names, specially at guard....

Carlisle is a top-5 coach easily.
and Carlisle had nothing to do with the Malice in the palace??
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 05:52 AM   #125
turin
Platinum Member

turin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Well nobody will have trade value if we keep losing.

And you're right about all of this, but Rick gonna Rick cuz. It's almost childish the way he is coaching this season, and it has spread to the players.

I am f'in done with Barnes though. Never seen a player play less team basketball in all my Mavs watching years. Even Ced Ceballos looked more of a team player and that's saying something. I'd take a prime Ceballos over Barnes every day of the week.

The DSJ stuff is very troubling. He will literally go in the corner and stand there with his hands on his knees. Is he doing that because he doesn't care or because he knows that the ball just won't come to him?

Here is the biggest and most important issue I saw that night though...EVEN Luka didn't look comfortable. At least for Luka standards he didn't. And I'm telling you it wouldn't matter if you just got rid of Smith right now. The issues are three starting vets who, like you just mentioned, are doing things they don't need to be doing. Benching Smith won't stop DAJ the playmaker, the post-up Wes, or the completely ISO Barnes. The entirety of the starting lineup is trash. And I think those three vets are likely gone by next season.

Such a shame really.
Spot on imo.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:03 AM   #126
turin
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I don’t think we have trade assets period

No first rounders
Second rounders have little value
Barea as a vet rental (he’s expiring)
Doncic but he’s untouchable
Kleber
Smith (but not a lot of value)
Barnes as an off-the-bench shooter would have value but he potentially takes 25 mill next year which hurts his value

Matthews as an expiring is almost neutral value unless a team is desperate and the player we trade for has a long deal

Powell has negative value
Exactly. We still have Wes and Powell for a reason. It's not as if the Mavs have been turning down offers the last couple of years for them because they've been waiting to see what they develop into. All it takes is a 2 minute clip of Wes dribbling or driving to create and most GM's would take a pass unless they really only needed a statue to put up a 3, and they certainly won't be paying what Wes makes for that. Powell? Please, he's been an overpaid dumpster fire from day one. I think there was a 5 game stretch at the beginning of this season where he reached his NBA peak, and it's been regress to the mean ever since. I think he's only really lasted this long because the Mavs have been trying to save some face on the Rondo debacle hoping he works out.

I feel bad bagging on Barnes, so I'll keep it short and sweet... rebounds? assists? Overpaid. That says it all.

Last edited by turin; 01-09-2019 at 12:08 PM.