Yes! We're desperate. We need to maximize time 2 10.00%
Yes, but only the right one. Be aggressive but patient 15 75.00%
Apathetic. Just apathetic. 0 0%
No. Let's see what we have with KP and Doncic when they get healthy. 3 15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-06-2020, 08:05 PM   #881
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant future

I think we did the right thing by not making any moves other than WCS.
Like Erica mentioned, there probably wasn’t any moves that would have made us much better, if at all.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-06-2020, 08:18 PM   #882
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
I think we did the right thing by not making any moves other than WCS.
Like Erica mentioned, there probably wasn’t any moves that would have made us much better, if at all.
I disagree. It just depends on what this team is trying to do. Are they going die the pipe dream of a star coming here again?
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:29 PM   #883
Dallas41

Dallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
I disagree. It just depends on what this team is trying to do. Are they going die the pipe dream of a star coming here again?
I agree

There were options available but I think the Mavs just preferred to stand pat and hope things will change with the current roster

Now whether that's right or wrong I don't know

But I was really impressed with what Miami and LA clippers did to deepen their teams

I was really hoping the mavs would get a big wing defender to help combat Lebron, Leonard or George types
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:35 PM   #884
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
The thing is that we really do have a super full roster and everyone can contribute. There isn't a guy on the roster who couldn't play 15-20min. WCS was a steal. We upgraded a guy who probably couldn't play and was plagued by foot problems (Roby) into a guy who can play 30mpg on any given night. That's a solid move.

After that, we don't need more average players and didn't have the assets to trade 1+ average players into a star-- and there were only a couple of those deals that actually happened (Drummond). The rest of the deals were for merely average players and we're stocked on those.

Deangelo Russell can score, but he's terrible defensively
Wiggins is a decent piece, but really wilts under pressure and has a questionable defense
Drummond isn't statistically that much better than what we have and would have cost us a lot-- not in assets, but in cap and flexibility.

Those were the only three stars who actually moved.
I get the frustration, but it's super, super clear that they're not going to damage their chances in the 2021 free agency class, which will be their last shot to grab someone before Luka gets a new deal.

Since many other teams are likely eyeing the same prize, it's likely that turning that expiring contract into something that wouldn't last past next season was more difficult than we might imagine.
KillerLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:37 PM   #885
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
Not saying it's a sure thing, but if you're comparing past free agencies (which were all pipe dreams and stupid plans) to the summer 2021 (when anyone with a brain will at least consider coming to play with Luka) then you're not thinking clearly

(EDIT: I don't mean this as an insult - I think a lot of Mavs fans are justifiably gun-shy when it comes to free agency. It has let us down so often that it's easy to just think "never again." But, sometimes, it DOES make sense to go that route.)

Again, they might not land a big fish, but I believe it's worth a shot, and I've been against "plan powder" since 2011. This time, it's different.

Last edited by KillerLeft; 02-06-2020 at 08:42 PM.
KillerLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 10:43 AM   #886
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Well, virtually no one was happy with the summer season of lackluster trades. But we ended up with a bunch of players no one else really wanted, and melded them into a team that can win some games, even when Luka or KP is hurt. Sometimes, less really is more.

There is a lot to be said for letting the guys we have grow together. Guys like DFS and Maxi are now a lot more valuable than when we resigned them this summer, just because they have gotten better. THJ is now playing up to the contract that everyone thought was an albatross.

I'm much happier seeing no trades than bad ones, like Rondo or Noel. We still have untapped potential in Justin Jackson, WCS and Delon Wright, and for that matter, in KP as well. I'm just as happy to see them develop as I would be watching Danny Green or some other ill-fitting, aging, overpriced 2nd tier players like Drummond, just so we can say we didn't waste a trade exception..

Sometimes, no news is good news.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:19 AM   #887
Dallas41

Dallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of light

I still don't trust THJ.....

I could care less about the contract he got. I just don't see him as a legit 3rd option for a playoff team.

I guess people can say he's played better than expected but that is just the standards or expectations people had for him.

Defensively we really can't put him on any elite guys which puts a lot of pressure on DFS to hold up

I know the FG% show he's shooting better than last year but the eye test shows when this guy is bad he's really bad.

He's an upgrade over wesley Matthew's but I still believe he's more of a high end bench players that just so happens to be a starter for us.

Hopefully this summer we could get a guy who is more consistent and provides some defensive help vs elite west wings
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 11:37 AM   #888
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post

I could care less about the contract he got. I just don't see him as a legit 3rd option for a playoff team.

I guess people can say he's played better than expected but that is just the standards or expectations people had for him.

Defensively we really can't put him on any elite guys which puts a lot of pressure on DFS to hold up

I know the FG% show he's shooting better than last year but the eye test shows when this guy is bad he's really bad.

He's an upgrade over wesley Matthew's but I still believe he's more of a high end bench players that just so happens to be a starter for us.

Hopefully this summer we could get a guy who is more consistent and provides some defensive help vs elite west wings
THJ was the bad contract we had to eat to get KP. Carlisle has figured out how to make him a valued starter. I find it pretty hard to be upset that he's not an elite defender or our third star. I'm just glad he's not a waste of money.
Old 02-07-2020, 01:48 PM   #889
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
THJ was the bad contract we had to eat to get KP. Carlisle has figured out how to make him a valued starter. I find it pretty hard to be upset that he's not an elite defender or our third star. I'm just glad he's not a waste of money.
Only 31 players are shooting 6+ threes a game
Only 7 of those players are shooting 40% or more on more than 6 attempts:

Bertans
Robinson
Bogdonovic
Gallinari
VanVleet
Reddick

And THJ
Old 02-07-2020, 03:33 PM   #890
oilfieldtrash
Golden Member

oilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of lightoilfieldtrash is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post

He doesn't seem to show up at the end of games. I guess no one else does either. Having said that he probably has been the second or third best player on the team all year. I have been pleasantly surprised.
oilfieldtrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 03:57 PM   #891
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfieldtrash View Post
He doesn't seem to show up at the end of games. I guess no one else does either. Having said that he probably has been the second or third best player on the team all year. I have been pleasantly surprised.
Yeah, THJ seems to do most of his damage up front like Josh Howard did, kinda sets the tone while other players look to find their shooting stroke... Rarely does much late in games though.
Old 02-07-2020, 05:15 PM   #892
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Yeah, THJ seems to do most of his damage up front like Josh Howard did, kinda sets the tone while other players look to find their shooting stroke... Rarely does much late in games though.
That's perfectly fine with me. That's what JET, Barea, Kidd and Butler did.

Dirk was Mr. 4th quarter and the rest of the guys kept us going until the fourth.

Problem is that Doncic doesn't have a go-to move yet and after absolutely wrecking it in his first season, teams have figured him out. The problem isn't our third option not scoring in the fourth. The problem is our #1 and #2 options.
Old 02-07-2020, 05:51 PM   #893
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
And Delon Wright. Whopping -35 tonight...
Well according to the Athletic, both Wright and Jackson were available for trade.

https://twitter.com/TheMavsZone/stat...88219331518465

Honestly though, not doing anything should instill some confidence in the guys on the roster.
Old 02-07-2020, 05:59 PM   #894
saclare
Golden Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

I was fine with Danny Green choosing the Lakers this summer, and I'm more than fine not to have given up a good pick for him.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:01 PM   #895
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Clippers aren't keeping Isaiah Thomas. Any interest? Wouldn't mind him as the Barea emergency replacement.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:17 PM   #896
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Clippers aren't keeping Isaiah Thomas. Any interest? Wouldn't mind him as the Barea emergency replacement.
Nah. I like tiny point guards that play great (JJ & Yogi for example)

A tiny point guard that is playing poorly? Pass
MFFL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 10:20 PM   #897
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

We like our boys in blue!

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 10:30 PM   #898
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

@ShamsCharania: Forward Marvin Williams is planning to sign with the Milwaukee Bucks after contract buyout from Charlotte, league sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @Stadium.
Old 02-08-2020, 04:34 PM   #899
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

So who are we waiving If we sign MKG?

The accountant?
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 05:11 PM   #900
Underdog

Can we waive a guy then re-sign them to a two-way contract? I know Cleveland and Reaves are still there, but could we waive one of them to make room for a guy like Broekhoff if we waived him?
Old 02-08-2020, 06:32 PM   #901
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Can we waive a guy then re-sign them to a two-way contract? I know Cleveland and Reaves are still there, but could we waive one of them to make room for a guy like Broekhoff if we waived him?
I honestly can't see what the Mavs see in Cleveland. He is an athletic wing but doesn't seem to have much upside. I'd have no problem if the Mavs move on from him...especially considering his age.

Reaves is another story and I'd like to see the Mavs develop him even if that means slowly. With his ability to create, and tremendous defense potential, he could become a good fit with Luka if he continues to mature and develop in the proper way.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote