Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-13-2019, 05:37 PM   #41
Skywalker
Platinum Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
A wasteland of a 2nd half of meaningless minutes in meaningless games, and still the guy is a lackluster rebounder and a windmill on defense. The Mavs are clearly short in the rebounding, defense, and 3-pt shooting departments. Powell doesn't address any of these deficiencies. At 4/50 he would only exacerbate them. KP already more than makes up for any of Powell's offensive output in garbage minutes, and that's not counting any new free agents. I'd rather pay a 3-pt sharpshooter than Powell. Doncic/KP pick and roll is gonna be deadly. There will be plenty of highlights there without having to wait for Powell to have an open lane dunk against 2nd teamers in garbage time for $10m+/yr. SMH

Oh yeah, and as far as tradeable contract... we couldn't get rid of him at $9m or less, so there is no way we will be able to offload him at $10m +, especially if he gets 4/50. That is just mindboggling stupid imo.
All of this tbh...he's gonna be our patty mills if we give him that contract

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2019, 06:27 PM   #42
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

It would be also incredible stupid to extend him BEFORE the lottery draw. At least wait for the 6% Zion dream because that would change pretty much everything.

And then you get Zion and you try to get a big fish or at least Kemba..."oh wait, now we just got 20m instead of 30m because we prematurely blew 10m capspace with extending a now forever backup"

Last edited by sefant77; 04-13-2019 at 06:28 PM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 06:38 PM   #43
endtroducing MASKED
Golden Member

endtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I saw your Ed Davis post in the other thread and was about to say, "well, actually..."

So, here we are.
I hate this move with my life. We are going to pay a guy for a decent post ASG run on one of the worst teams in the NBA where none of it was meaningful. This is a mid 2000s level move
endtroducing MASKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:25 PM   #44
NeedlesKane
Golden Member

NeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud of

I am pleased with the fact that Cuban wants to keep most of the team together but realizes that 1 or 2 may need to go to make space for a free agent signing as well as a potential lottery pick.

We know that Dirk is retiring so that's one roster spot that has been freed. I hope J.J. Barea recovers well. I'm worried about him. Also I thought it was guaranteed for Broekhoff. Are you so sure? Seriously started liking the new guys aside from Lee. Lee seems like a good guy, but he just doesn't produce at the level of a guy making close to $13 million per season. I'd prefer that we work on a buyout if we can't move him. This way we can keep someone like Burke.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:18 PM   #45
Five-ofan
Diamond Member

Five-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond reputeFive-ofan has a reputation beyond repute

We need some hard truth. This team outside of Luka is the least talented roster in basketball. Obviously Luka and kp will be awesome, and Kleber and brunson fit as role players as well as possibly dfs if he can shoot. Everybody else is terrible. Dwight Powell is a net negative basketball player when the other team is still trying. If we resign him for 4/49 it's malpractice.
Five-ofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:57 PM   #46
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

The extreme hate for Powell is just unfortunate. Once a guy ends up in the doghouse, the endless bitching is tough but more annoying is the unbalanced praise and criticism. If the guys has a fantastic game he's still a Pomeranian scrub, He dunks on guys with an and1 hits the free throw it's crickets until he can't guard Embid or insert other bigger talented center.

https://hoopshype.com/2019/04/03/dal...outing-report/

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:57 PM   #47
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
The extreme hate for Powell is just unfortunate. Once a guy ends up in the doghouse, the endless bitching is tough but more annoying is the unbalanced praise and criticism. If the guys has a fantastic game he's still a Pomeranian scrub, He dunks on guys with an and1 hits the free throw it's crickets until he can't guard Embid or insert other bigger talented center.

This is all true.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:54 PM   #48
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-ofan View Post
We need some hard truth. This team outside of Luka is the least talented roster in basketball. Obviously Luka and kp will be awesome, and Kleber and brunson fit as role players as well as possibly dfs if he can shoot. Everybody else is terrible. Dwight Powell is a net negative basketball player when the other team is still trying. If we resign him for 4/49 it's malpractice.
What sort of talent are you looking for outside of Luka, KP and hopefully another star this summer? I think this team is almost perfectly set up role player-wise to add another star. And Jackson is not terrible by any means. Even if Powell is crap, which he shockingly no long is...Kleber, DFS, Brunson, and Jackson are a nice core of young role players that fill most of the backup and perhaps some starting positions if need be. And I doubt it would be very difficult to add more bodies. The only difficult hurdle right now is getting a star this offseason.

But even if we don't, KP changes everything.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:56 PM   #49
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

There is just a lot of factors:
- his game is incredible limited and failed miserable to add the three to his game
- he has the annoying habit to dive to the floor all the time, even when he could stay on his feet (often resulting in being back late in transition)
- the super annoying man crush Harp has on him (okay, not Dwights fault)
- being overpaid for such a limited role
- not being a right fit beside KP, but earning 10m+

I just dont like him with this prizetag

Last edited by sefant77; 04-15-2019 at 06:32 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:37 PM   #50
endtroducing MASKED
Golden Member

endtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to all

I don’t have any particular dislike for him and I think he’s just fine. But that is just an abysmal use of resources
Old 04-15-2019, 09:45 PM   #51
sefant77
Guru

Its like Barnes. Barnes at 25m is terrible, Barnes at 12-13m is fine

Powell at 12-13m is terrible, Powell at 7m is fine
Old 04-15-2019, 09:53 PM   #52
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by endtroducing MASKED View Post
I don’t have any particular dislike for him and I think he’s just fine. But that is just an abysmal use of resources
Perhaps the Mavs already have an inside track on a free agent this summer? Remember the team will still have 30 million in cap space even if they extend Powell.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:07 PM   #53
endtroducing MASKED
Golden Member

This franchise still has a long way to go for me to give them the benefit of the doubt on free agency, honestly
Old 04-15-2019, 10:46 PM   #54
Melonhead
Diamond Member

Melonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Its like Barnes. Barnes at 25m is terrible, Barnes at 12-13m is fine

Powell at 12-13m is terrible, Powell at 7m is fine
This is just delusional. You should take a look at what contracts players are getting these days. This is not 2005. Billion dollar contract with TV inflated everyones earnings.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:32 PM   #55
saclare
Golden Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Honestly, Dwight Powell had a very good second half. The problem for the Mavs FO to solve is if they believe he can finally put it together for a full season.

In 22 starts out of 24 post All-Star games, he put up 14.8 pts / 7.5 reb / 2.5 ast on shooting splits of 62.1% / 39.6% / 79.6% (with TS% of 71.5%).

He plays really well with Luka and is well liked on the team. Plays his ass off and brings an energy to the team. He'll continue to work to improve the 3-ball and hopefully work on getting stronger. The latter doesn't always mean having to get bigger and losing some of that athletic edge.

Also, there's only been speculation on the contract. Let's wait and see what, if anything, actually happens first. I think structure will be key.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 12:56 PM   #56
cutlerny313

cutlerny313 is a jewel in the roughcutlerny313 is a jewel in the roughcutlerny313 is a jewel in the roughcutlerny313 is a jewel in the roughcutlerny313 is a jewel in the rough

Brunson, Jackson, Hardaway, Kleber will be back for sure. I think Brunson, Kleber can be long term pieces on a winning team but not stars, just need time and development. Jackson has talent, really depends on his improvement, and how much playing time he gets. Hardaway might miss some time early on from the surgery, and hard guy to move with his contract.

Smith I think will be back. Needs to become an elite defender not just a good defender. And must be a better consistent 3pt shooter.

Burke wont be bought back I think for money reasons. Cheaper to bring back harris or barea. Or maybe both veterans come back.

Powell will be signed to an extension. I don't hate but don't love it. As a bench player/ spot starter he isn't a good enough of defender, rebounder, shooter to warrant a long term deal. I don't think he will improve much over what he is now. He's ok but I think cheaper options could be out there. To me he gets a lot of his stats in garbage time. Not sure he is great fit with Porzingis. Personally I think Kleber will be a better defender and 3pt shooter in the run and overall player.

Broekhoff, Mejri I think will be back and get minutes based on situations.
cutlerny313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 01:17 PM   #57
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
This is just delusional. You should take a look at what contracts players are getting these days. This is not 2005. Billion dollar contract with TV inflated everyones earnings.
I know.

Cap is going to be 108m. Superstars are getting 30-40m, allstars 25+

Limited roleplayer still shouldnt get 10m+
Old 04-18-2019, 08:18 AM   #58
tap2390
Golden Member

tap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant future

I see why people get frustrated with Powell, but he's a tough worker and great personality to have in the locker room and sometimes you have to reward guys like that (especially after you just traded DSJ).
Old 04-18-2019, 10:43 AM   #59
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
I see why people get frustrated with Powell, but he's a tough worker and great personality to have in the locker room and sometimes you have to reward guys like that (especially after you just traded DSJ).
I don't want them going overboard to reward him, hell they have already overpaid him. Imo he has been rewarded already and it would be nice to see him pay us back with a Dirk like hometown hookup contract on his extension. Him being over payed is going to keep folks on the hate wagon unless he comes into next season the way he left this one or better.

The biggest frustration is people expect him to be a center and he's not. It's not like he begs RC to play Center... alongside the slowest and least mobile guy in the league. You can't roll him out there with Dirk and expect him to defend the quicker guy then go defend the rim and then get the rebounds. Deandre sucked defensively but he got rebounds and that's it. He never got near as much shit as Powell. IF Powell comes into next season shooting the way he did 2nd half of the season, it's going to be a big weapon off the bench and spot starting on a team that will be unquestionable improved with getting KP on the floor and no other changes.

Old 04-18-2019, 02:54 PM   #60
thewizard

thewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to all

Quote:
The biggest frustration is people expect him to be a center and he's not. It's not like he begs RC to play Center... alongside the slowest and least mobile guy in the league. You can't roll him out there with Dirk and expect him to defend the quicker guy then go defend the rim and then get the rebounds. Deandre sucked defensively but he got rebounds and that's it. He never got near as much shit as Powell. IF Powell comes into next season shooting the way he did 2nd half of the season, it's going to be a big weapon off the bench and spot starting on a team that will be unquestionable improved with getting KP on the floor and no other changes.

I wouldn't count on that. He's a center through and through on offense. Defensively yeah he has issues playing the 5. But seems like every year we try to get him to shoot better so we can put him at the 4 and he always plays terribly until we just go back to getting him focused on what he does best which is catching lobs in the pick and roll as a 5. That's when he suddenly starts playing well again. I've noticed it happen several years in a row now.

I can see why people might be frustrated giving a guy with those limitations 10-12 million a year but here we are. I guess the MBT decided his offense as a 5 is efficient enough to overcome his defensive issues.

Last edited by thewizard; 04-18-2019 at 02:55 PM.
thewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 04:09 AM   #61
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewizard View Post
I wouldn't count on that. He's a center through and through on offense. Defensively yeah he has issues playing the 5. But seems like every year we try to get him to shoot better so we can put him at the 4 and he always plays terribly until we just go back to getting him focused on what he does best which is catching lobs in the pick and roll as a 5. That's when he suddenly starts playing well again. I've noticed it happen several years in a row now.

I can see why people might be frustrated giving a guy with those limitations 10-12 million a year but here we are. I guess the MBT decided his offense as a 5 is efficient enough to overcome his defensive issues.
The problem is that what offense Powell brings isn't the most pressing need.
Its nice to have, and a good mesh with Luka, but not a number 1 priority.
We really need defense and rebounding at the 5 more than anything.

I'm not super crazy about Davis or Dedmon but their skills are more needed than Powell. I'd be okay with Powell and Davis at center but I hope like hell Davis isn't the best player we sign in the off-season.

I think I'm in the minority of those who want quality over quantity in the off-season. In other words I'd much rather overpay for a 3rd option young player with some upside and longevity like Brogdon than sign multiple vets like Dedmon/Beverley/Green or some other similar combination that will limit our ceiling.
I think those are the types of players that should be signed after the foundation core is established but the construction of our core is still in progress as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited by rimrocker; 04-20-2019 at 04:14 AM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 05:30 PM   #62
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Powell is back Cuban has talked about extending him. We need an athletic wing that can can defend and shoot the three. Maybe this year we finally get the big fish.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 06:03 PM   #63
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Dallas Mavericks: Options for Courtney Lee’s contract this offseason
https://thesmokingcuban.com/2019/04/...tract-options/
Old 04-25-2019, 06:59 AM   #64
dirt_dobber
Platinum Member

dirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant future

Nice find UD - I would have missed that one. Interesting points made. Going to be a fun off-season.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 10:13 AM   #65
saclare
Golden Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

So if they stretch Lee, we should be a little more excited/intrigued. Not that you wouldn't if you kept him. It just seems the best of the two options is keep or stretch, as trade is going to be really difficult. Wait and see what you can align with FA/trade, and then make the decision.

Question, when does the new league year start, FA period, etc.? If it's before July 1st, seems to negatively affect both the player and the team (and even other players/FAs) to have to wait if they know they want to stretch. Let the team get the space and let the player have ample time to chase the best deal/team fit he can.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 03:48 PM   #66
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Matthews?
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:44 PM   #67
SMC0007
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy3 View Post
Matthews?
/end thread

Old 05-02-2019, 07:56 AM   #68
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a glorious beacon of lightBigDog63 is a glorious beacon of lightBigDog63 is a glorious beacon of lightBigDog63 is a glorious beacon of lightBigDog63 is a glorious beacon of lightBigDog63 is a glorious beacon of lightBigDog63 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewizard View Post
I think Kleber comes back at a good price. He's shown to be better as a 20 mpg defensive big off the bench IMO so I don't think any team is going to throw big money at him.
Why not? Teams have been throwing big money at FA Bigs for a long time, and the recent salary cap increases certainly wouldn't reduce that.
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:32 PM   #69
thewizard

thewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog63 View Post
Why not? Teams have been throwing big money at FA Bigs for a long time, and the recent salary cap increases certainly wouldn't reduce that.

Mainly because he's a restricted free agent and also because I think his ceiling is a 20mpg back up big off the bench. It would be very risky for a team with a large amount of cap space to tie up their space for the first 3 days of free agency on Maxi, only to see us match, unless they truly think he's a big money, big minutes starter. They could lose out on all the other good free agents if we decided to match.

So yeah it's certainly possible someone could money whip him and we lose him, but that'd be a big gamble for whoever tried it. He'd have to be a Mozgov style 12:01am signing for someone and I think most teams have learned from that particular mistake.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:06 AM   #70
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant future

I see Maxi coming back next season but I don't think it would be the end of the world if he leaves and we are able to sign someone like Ed Davis.

I always thought of Maxi taking on more of Powell's role if Powell left the team or was traded but now that we have secured Powell I'm not sure Maxi's role is as critical.

TBH though I think Powell has moved up to the starting role and Maxi will be taking more of Powell's old role. It wouldn't surprise me if Maxi gets somewhere in the 7-10mil range.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 04:42 PM   #71
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Dwight Powell to decline $10.2M player option with Mavs
https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-dwi...213124130.html

Quote:
Dallas Mavericks forward Dwight Powell will decline his player option for the 2019-20 season to enter unrestricted free-agency this summer, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Had Powell elected to exercise his option, he would have earned $10.2 million next season and become a free agent in 2020.

Powell’s decision will conclude the four-year, $37 million contract the 6-foot-11 forward signed with the Mavs in 2016.

He is expected to have multiple suitors when the free-agent process begins July 1, sources said.
Old 05-20-2019, 04:48 PM   #72
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Dwight Powell to decline $10.2M player option with Mavs
https://sports.yahoo.com/sources-dwi...213124130.html
Old 05-20-2019, 04:55 PM   #73
tap2390
Golden Member

tap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant future

It’s a Christmas miracle. Keep Maxi.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:10 PM   #74
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

I'd be more excited if the Mavs weren't sure to keep him.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:18 PM   #75
JJP

JJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of light

The Powell situation changes a lot of things if he doesn't re-sign. Without the Powell monetary commitment, The money for a starter (or two) becomes more manageable.

It doesn't change the number of people the Mavs still need on the roster, but it could change how we handle Free Agency.
JJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:19 PM   #76
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I'd be more excited if the Mavs weren't sure to keep him.
Yeah this changes very little. Instead of opting into a guaranteed 1year/10mill, he's going to look elsewhere and probably still get more here.

Probably.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:33 PM   #77
thewizard

I'm very interested in how this all shakes out. I could be wrong, but I believe I read that his cap hold when he opts out will actually be larger than his salary this year if he opted in. Something like 14 million instead of 10 million. Thus we'll actually be losing cap space by doing this unless we've got some cap shenanigans in the works. I can't see us letting Powell walk either way, I mean he was just in Slovenia with Carlisle and Luka like 2 weeks ago right?
Old 05-20-2019, 06:33 PM   #78
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

There's always the possibility that the Mavs know something about free agency that will make Powell a little more obsolete and both sides have mutually agreed that him looking elsewhere is better for everyone.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:50 PM   #79
thewizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidDaMonkey View Post
There's always the possibility that the Mavs know something about free agency that will make Powell a little more obsolete and both sides have mutually agreed that him looking elsewhere is better for everyone.
Always possible I suppose, but the most likely scenario I see happening now is we re-sign Powell to a longer term deal with a starting salary of maybe 8 million or so. Opens up another couple million in cap space which allows us to give the max to Kemba without having to stretch waive Lee. Powell gets paid and we land our big fish.
Old 05-20-2019, 06:54 PM   #80
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidDaMonkey View Post
True, but he joined Luka in Slovenia to work out with him. Don't think you do that unless you're sure to come back.

I'd rather just get Vuc and Beverly and call it a day, but it is what it is.