Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-17-2019, 02:17 AM   #121
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Brunson scored 6 points with 3 assists in 20 minutes and a -10. But I'm sure you'll point out some other arbitrary stat that says otherwise.
I'd also rather have DSJ on the court, but too bad he doesn't want to play for the Mavs any longer.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2019, 03:01 AM   #122
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
Bullets:
  • Sucks to lose when you start out the game that good, but give the Spurs credit. They adjusted and came back strong in the second half. That's what good teams do.
  • LA and DeRozan combined for 22 points. I like how we're able to develop fringe guys into role player frequently, but the ability of Pop to field deep teams every season is darn impressive. The difference between him and Rick is that Pop builds the system around his personnel, not trying to force guys to adjust.
  • Part of our third quarter struggles I felt was to try to establish Barnes when he had a complete off-night. That led San Antonio back into the contest. Our great start in the 1st on the contrary was fueled by Luka running the show. You can't waste Luka's floor time this way. Working or not, let Wes and Barnes have their isos when he's on the bench. This was a great example of us unnecessarily relying on vets. That said: Wes post-ups were a big key in the 1st as well.
  • DSJ probably played his last game as a Mav, but very annoying that we never had a chance to see a starting lineup with DSJ, Luka, and without Matthews. For the reasons above Barnes and Wes together don't make tons of sense, because both of their "go-to" moves are ball stoppers.
  • Luka dishing to a Dirk three should count for six points. Too bad Dirk missed that momentum changer with 4:xx left in the third after Luka had just made that big three with 0.8 left on the shotclock.
  • Great game by "sport's best" refs once more. These motherfuckers are just awful sometimes. So glad to know that they wouldn't stand a chance in Europe, because we have real fans in arenas that don't tolerate this bullshit. NBA: "Every.body.clap.your.hands!".
  • Re crowd: Also lol that you allow Spurs fans being so vocal whenever they make the basket. Who's arena was this? So quiet again and this was against on of our in-state rivals.
  • Man Luka needs some help. Rick called timeout with the score being 90-96. After that everybody but him choked. I think he either made or assisted on all remaining points, and set up a couple great looks that other's couldn't convert. 3-5 in the clutch + 2 AST. Can't ask for much more, plus he got fouled on one of his threes. He's unfortunately no Harden yet, otherwise these sob refs would have called that.
  • Feels like Luka is shooting threes worse, but he still over 37% over the last 10. Also, took two bombs at the end of quarters again. So his line was 3-7 instead of 3-9. 3-6 if you wanna count the foul.
  • Usually JJB gave us a spark off the bench and we missed that obviously. I really like Brunson, he's as steady as it gets. But he won't win us games in the same manner as Barea was able to.
This.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:46 AM   #123
greenhorn63

greenhorn63 is on a distinguished road

Do most Dallas (vet) players really want to win?

Doncic - 4 fouls/35 minutes

rest of starters - 4 fouls/48 minutes
bench - 6 fouls/48 minutes

Sorry...but there wasn't enough fight!
A limited team like Mavs can win only if everyone on the floor fight for every ball, every position,.......

P.S. Luka hates to lose ... even if he were to play mikado!!!!

Last edited by greenhorn63; 01-17-2019 at 03:51 AM.
greenhorn63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 07:01 AM   #124
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
There's really not much hope that vets will dramatically improve. Wes, HB, and DJ are what they are. Same with Powell for the most part. We know their games and their deficiencies. We've paid the price with L's over and over and over. This is not going to change. At least if we were rolling with some of the younger guys like DFS starting, there would at least be some hope of some improvement as the season progressed, but aside from Luka, Kleber has only recently gotten some much deserved starting minutes, and Brunson only due to JJB injury. IMO, DFS should've been starting back in November or December. It's frustrating to think what might have been had some of these younger players been given more significant minutes earlier in the season. They would most likely be better than they are now. This season is rapidly slipping away, and I think if something major isn't done by the TDL Rick could lose the team. That would make for an ugly, depressing finish to a season that should have more optimism in it.
I've been hoping Broek would get more time after that decent game he had against Philly. We could really use a good catch-n-shoot guy and it seems Rick should at least give him a good look.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 08:10 AM   #125
AO41
Golden Member

AO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud ofAO41 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Brunson scored 6 points with 3 assists in 20 minutes and a -10. But I'm sure you'll point out some other arbitrary stat that says otherwise.
Not his best game by an means.But it says something that he pretty much still had the same impact that DSJ had most games - a few TOs.
Old 01-17-2019, 08:42 AM   #126
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Do you always argue with logical fallacies?

Brunson has a bad game, therefore, I’m wrong about Smith being terrible? That's assuming a counter-factual that Smith would have somehow been better despite no evidence to the contrary and a lot of stats saying that Brunson on average has a better =/- and win share

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 01-17-2019 at 12:27 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:37 AM   #127
turin
Platinum Member

turin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
I've been hoping Broek would get more time after that decent game he had against Philly. We could really use a good catch-n-shoot guy and it seems Rick should at least give him a good look.
I would like to see that too. I'd also like to see Mejri on the court with the 2nd unit when the paint becomes a sieve and we are giving up layups and offensive rebounds left and right; however, that is so far down the list of priorities as far as things I'd like to see change that I don't waste time bringing them up.

Issue number one is getting Wes off the floor and having DFS start. That's a 3 for 1 winner. 1. DFS is younger and has a potential future with the Mavs, so let's see him in extended minutes starting. 2. Wes the dribble driving turnover waiting to happen is off the floor. 3. DJ/Wes offense is temporarily out of commission when he's off the floor.

Kleber is starting now, and I assume he will be moving forward, so I won't list that.

Issue number two is Powell and his minutes, weak defense, weak rebounding, 3 point chucks, inability to finish, etc...

Barnes is next. He's a black hole on offense who doesn't contribute much else when his shot is not falling. He can be listed as issue #2 and I wouldn't quibble with it.

After those 3 things, everything else is just icing on the cake, and this is why Carlisle needs to feel some heat because as coach, it's his job to put the players in the best positions to be successful, and I think he has been sorely lacking in this area.

Last edited by turin; 01-17-2019 at 09:50 AM.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:41 AM   #128
turin
Platinum Member

turin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud ofturin has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
Also we win if we have JJ. Brunson was fine at moments but the gap there is huge.
Agree. Big difference. JJ is fearless and decisive under control. Brunson isn't bad, but he's no finisher like JJ. JJ has to be one of the best finishers around the basket that I can think of, especially for his size. Brunson was blocked multiple times last night under the basket as well as the previous game. I think JJ has spoiled me because I can hardly remember him ever getting blocked under the basket. He knows his spacing and limitations and will dribble through and out and reset or dish instead of putting up a shot that has no chance. That's a HUGE difference there between JJ and Brunson as well as DSJ.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 09:56 AM   #129
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
Bullets:
  • I said before the game, it would be close at the end. No easy games.
  • Of all the teams in the NBA, the Spurs are the most likely to remain calm looking at a 20 pt deficit in the first half. There was no doubt that they would slowly creep back into the game. It was just a matter of mental determination of the Mavs to step up to the challenge.
  • Halftime adjustments. Pop got another one on RC.
  • I was really nervous after the first half. We had some serious home town refs giving us calls resulting in free throws when they honestly shouldn't have. Then sure enough, they probably watched first half highlights and then screwed us in the second half to compensate. Clear, obvious, no doubt fouls right in front of the ref with clear sight but no call. That really killed our momentum.
  • I agree that HB or Wes iso needs to continue when Luka is on the bench. Our offense goes to complete crap when those two can't get it done. There isn't anyone else on the team with DSJ "sick" that has any offensive confidence.
  • Mills only shot 4-10 from three but it sure seemed a lot worse than that given as many times as we left him wide open. Spurs on average are dead last in 3PA yet they shot more last night and made them when they needed to.
  • We can argue whether DSJ is good or bad, but in the second half the Mavs looked like exactly what everyone is complaining about DSJ and he wasn't on the floor. Maybe he's not the problem? Or at least the majority of the problem?
  • The All-Star break can't get here quick enough. This team needs to take some time off and figure out what they need to do individually. Plus seeing Luka on the All-Star team would be great after all of these close losses.
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:44 PM   #130
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

@NBAOfficial: The L2M reports from qualifying games played on Wednesday have been posted on http://NBA.com/official

@PeasESPN: Luka should have been rewarded with 3 FT’s late in last night’s game

@PeasESPN: This was the only missed call down the stretch last night but it was a big missed call

@bobbykaralla: They took six FTA after the first quarter... between this play and the Harris 3 that should've been six more... Not great
Old 01-17-2019, 05:20 PM   #131
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

That DH 3 was crazy obvious. I have no idea how or why they didn't call that other than just complete bias.
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 05:44 PM   #132
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
@NBAOfficial: The L2M reports from qualifying games played on Wednesday have been posted on http://NBA.com/official

@PeasESPN: Luka should have been rewarded with 3 FT’s late in last night’s game

@PeasESPN: This was the only missed call down the stretch last night but it was a big missed call

@bobbykaralla: They took six FTA after the first quarter... between this play and the Harris 3 that should've been six more... Not great
Refs blowing a lot of calls against us.
Old 01-17-2019, 07:16 PM   #133
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

What's new

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:23 AM   #134
texasbball

texasbball is a name known to alltexasbball is a name known to alltexasbball is a name known to alltexasbball is a name known to alltexasbball is a name known to alltexasbball is a name known to alltexasbball is a name known to alltexasbball is a name known to alltexasbball is a name known to all

Crooked league. The Mavs were never supposed to be this good this year. The whole second half SA mugged our team, while the refs swallowed their whistles. At least 5 games this year have been decided by the refs. Flip 5 games, and we are in the playoff chase easily. Instead, "Wooo, another 2 point loss, whoa, another 4 point loss, why, they just aren't good enough to salt these games away, it's DJ's fault, it's Powell's fault, it's Wes's fault, blah, blah, blah...". No, it's the ref's fault.
texasbball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 02:30 PM   #135
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Some Luka highlights from the Spurs game
https://twitter.com/MavsHighlights/s...97371629694976

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote