Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-09-2018, 12:01 PM   #161
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I like the idea of DFS as a 3/D guy. Dude shot 50% in the last game. I'd like that to happen.

Now I just want Matthews to be the same.
Rick said DFS's playmaking skills are underrated.
Not sure I necessarily agree but I guess I'll take his word on that. But I am more comfortable with him handling the ball than Wes.

Last edited by rimrocker; 10-09-2018 at 12:03 PM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-2018, 02:00 PM   #162
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
Rick said DFS's playmaking skills are underrated.
Not sure I necessarily agree but I guess I'll take his word on that. But I am more comfortable with him handling the ball than Wes.
It's not like Dfs is a much better ball handler, he just doesn't force offense. You wont see him posting up or reaching too far from what he knows he can do

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2018, 07:01 PM   #163
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
It's not like Dfs is a much better ball handler, he just doesn't force offense. You wont see him posting up or reaching too far from what he knows he can do
That is why I could see him as a nice fit with DSJ, Luka and Barnes if he can become consistent with the 3. He seems to know his limited role and can build on it. We need a Marion/Aminu type to guard wings and he is the closest we have.

He definitely needs a lot of development to be successful in that type of role but so far I like what I see from him.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:18 PM   #164
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That is why I could see him as a nice fit with DSJ, Luka and Barnes if he can become consistent with the 3. He seems to know his limited role and can build on it. We need a Marion/Aminu type to guard wings and he is the closest we have.

He definitely needs a lot of development to be successful in that type of role but so far I like what I see from him.
He looks much more confident for sure. It's hard to see Rick benching Wes but if there's a trade it takes that out of his hands

Old 10-09-2018, 07:53 PM   #165
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Well for his sake I hope he is a much better offensive player than we have seen the last few years. Because Broekhoff can shoot. DFS just needs to hit a wide open spot 3, most likely from the baseline to the break, to be useful because of his versatility on the defensive end. Broekhoff looked super comfortable shooting that top of the key 3 coming off a screen in a full sprint. Just like McBuckets would do, just like we see Redick do all the time, just like any pure shooter does. So that's an entirely different skillset that DFS will never have. And if DFS still passes up open looks and shoots sub 30% he's going to lose mins to Broekhoff imo. And Kleber should already be taking any mins available at the backup 4 with how he has looked. Not to mention Barnes when the lineup dictates. Barring a trade I could see DFS losing mins quickly if his shot hasn't improved.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 05:42 AM   #166
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
Well for his sake I hope he is a much better offensive player than we have seen the last few years. Because Broekhoff can shoot. DFS just needs to hit a wide open spot 3, most likely from the baseline to the break, to be useful because of his versatility on the defensive end. Broekhoff looked super comfortable shooting that top of the key 3 coming off a screen in a full sprint. Just like McBuckets would do, just like we see Redick do all the time, just like any pure shooter does. So that's an entirely different skillset that DFS will never have. And if DFS still passes up open looks and shoots sub 30% he's going to lose mins to Broekhoff imo. And Kleber should already be taking any mins available at the backup 4 with how he has looked. Not to mention Barnes when the lineup dictates. Barring a trade I could see DFS losing mins quickly if his shot hasn't improved.
Completely agree about Broek and DFS, if DFS can't spread the floor he is worthless to us and we need to move on.

I love Broek and think he'll spread the floor well but just think we need a stud wing defender to help limit the amount of defensive energy exertion by what I consider our new big 3 (DSJ/Luka/Barnes) and DFS could be the best fit on our roster if he is able to spread the floor. That will take some time because opposing teams will need to respect that and he'll need to show he is consistent. I'm hoping he can eventually fill an Ariza type role on this team.

But I do agree that Broek is our McDermott replacement and should see plenty of time. Wouldn't surprise me if him and DFS play a lot together because they would somewhat compliment each other.

Last edited by rimrocker; 10-10-2018 at 05:51 AM.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:43 AM   #167
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Broek's strength is terrible and limits his ability to defend and rebound. DFS has been an impressive defensive piece.

Reminds me of the center by committee we used to have. Wish we could put Broek's shooting into DFS's body.
Old 10-10-2018, 02:31 PM   #168
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Preseason but hey-

https://twitter.com/NickVanExit/stat...75831199039489
Quote:
4th Points Per Game
4th Field Goal Percentage
2nd Three-Point Percentage
3rd Assists Per Game
And just for fun.

https://twitter.com/NickVanExit/stat...39453441433600
Quote:
@Dennis1SmithJr: "You gotta say what up to Fayetteville"
@luka7doncic: "There's 7 people on"
Old 10-10-2018, 04:01 PM   #169
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
PPG is swayed a little by the fact that we played China one game. They played good defense in one half and fell apart in the second.

Still, that 3pt% and As% is stellar.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:49 PM   #170
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Powell did an admiral job against Embiid. His biggest issue that basically holds back his ability to take a step forward is his lack of BBIQ. He'll be a very good backup center to Jordan though with Dirk out.

DFS finally doesn't look like a division 2 player. He might have to start over Barnes as well since it's looking doubtful that Barnes makes the opener.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:50 PM   #171
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like a lot of people here enjoy banging on DFS. I'd just like to point out that he missed 61 games last year with his injury. He is barely more than a rookie. He's spent a lot of time working on his jump shot and Rick says he's pretty consistent in practice. I'd suggest cutting him some slack until we see if he can translate it to games.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:58 PM   #172
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Man View Post
Looks like a lot of people here enjoy banging on DFS. I'd just like to point out that he missed 61 games last year with his injury. He is barely more than a rookie. He's spent a lot of time working on his jump shot and Rick says he's pretty consistent in practice. I'd suggest cutting him some slack until we see if he can translate it to games.
He played 81 games before last season. He isn't a rookie. This is his 3rd year in the NBA.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:38 PM   #173
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
I think many of us are on the fence with DFS. Rick has given him a longer leash than many other young players in the past few years and it is time for him show he is a NBA caliber player.

His shot looks much better and he seems to be developing pretty well although it is slow due to his injuries. I'd love to see Rick give him a good look early on by giving him a good chunk of Wes' minutes to determine if he is a good fit and can add value to our starting lineup. If he isn't able to spread the floor then he is virtually worthless to us because one dimensional defensive wings are a dime a dozen.

He needs to become a legit 3-d starting caliber player or we need to move on from him imo.
If that is banging on him then so be it.

Last edited by rimrocker; 10-10-2018 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:49 PM   #174
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
He played 81 games before last season. He isn't a rookie. This is his 3rd year in the NBA.
One year plus 21 games. So he's played a season and a quarter. Barely more than a rookie.

I can recall hating on JJB well into his third season. If Rick had flushed him when I wanted him to, he would not have been around to bring the Lakers to their knees. Not to mention doing what Steve Nash could not...force Mike Bibby to sit down, while he started and helped beat the Heat.

I felt much the same about Devin Harris' rookie season. Then his speed proved the undoing of the Spurs in one of the greatest series in Mavs history in 2006.

Then there's guys like Roddy, who never stop disappointing. And guys like Aminu, who's shot didn't come around until after the Mavs dumped him.

Wouldn't it be fun if, a few years from now, DFS was the key to the 2nd championship? As JJB proved, anything is possibe, and Carlisle does have a clue.

Last edited by G-Man; 10-10-2018 at 07:57 PM.
G-Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:44 PM   #175
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:

Wouldn't it be fun if, a few years from now, DFS was the key to the 2nd championship? As JJB proved, anything is possibe, and Carlisle does have a clue.
We have a semi-youth movement going on here and I'd like to see DFS become part of that but only if he fills a vital 3-D need. I like Wes but will be completely frustrated if he gets heavy minutes early on while DFS sits.

Bottom line for me is a starting lineup of DSJ/Luka/3-D Guy/Barnes/DJ. Personally I'd rather take a chance on compromising a few games early on developing DFS exclusively as a 3-D guy than watch a 31 yo Wes try to be a goto guy on this team for 35 minutes a game but being slotted in that 3-D role.

Wes is at a point in his career where he should be limited to a similar role as Stevenson had on our 2011 championship team if he is going to be in our starting lineup.

Last edited by rimrocker; 10-10-2018 at 08:48 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:38 AM   #176
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

Kostas and Broek both down with the flu
Old 10-11-2018, 03:01 PM   #177
SMC0007
Diamond Member

Quote:
Kostas and Broek both down with the flu
Probably from getting the flu shot.

Old 10-12-2018, 09:25 AM   #178
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

Game day! Last preseason game

Fully expecting a loss. Couple guys out with the flu and the team is still recovering from jet lag

But it will be broadcast at a reasonable time so I’ll be watching
Old 10-12-2018, 10:40 AM   #179
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Game day! Last preseason game

Fully expecting a loss. Couple guys out with the flu and the team is still recovering from jet lag

But it will be broadcast at a reasonable time so Iíll be watching
Will it be NBA TV or FSSW?
Old 10-12-2018, 11:53 AM   #180
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

Quote:
Will it be NBA TV or FSSW?
FSSW, League Pass, and Mavs.com I think
Old 10-12-2018, 04:26 PM   #181
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

@ESefko: Dwight Powell (right knee) is out tonight for Mavericks. Rick Carlisle says Powell is "OK."

ďItís the Dirk Nowitzki effect on their offense. As a defense, you absolutely overreact to every situation heís
in -- or even that heís not in -- and then you lose all sight of your team defensive rules." --Erik Spoelstra
Underdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 05:00 PM   #182
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
@ESefko: Dwight Powell (right knee) is out tonight for Mavericks. Rick Carlisle says Powell is "OK."
Means we'll see more Kleber which is fine with me. This is one of the first teams in a while where a few injuries doesn't mean change the channel.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:05 PM   #183
G-Man
Platinum Member

Its not showing up on my League Pass program guide. Maybe its on-line, but not on Dish.
Old 10-12-2018, 05:08 PM   #184
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

Quote:
Its not showing up on my League Pass program guide. Maybe its on-line, but not on Dish.
yeah League Pass is super spotty for preseason.

It will at least be easily streamable if you are local and FSSW or if you are willing to run through a computer from Mavs.com or whatnot
Old 10-12-2018, 06:14 PM   #185
helmsclam

helmsclam will become famous soon enough

any stream? thanks!!
helmsclam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:26 PM   #186
helmsclam

helmsclam will become famous soon enough

can't find anything!
helmsclam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:27 PM   #187
thewizard

thewizard has a spectacular aura aboutthewizard has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by helmsclam View Post
can't find anything!

https://www.reddit.com/r/nbastreams/
thewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:36 PM   #188
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

If Luka can shoot 40%+ from three, this team is going to be competitive
Old 10-12-2018, 07:38 PM   #189
thewizard

thewizard has a spectacular aura aboutthewizard has a spectacular aura about

Luka is already our best player and Matthews sucks ass. That's about all I have to contribute right now.
thewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:42 PM   #190
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

Luka tearing it up with passes
Old 10-12-2018, 07:43 PM   #191
Melonhead
Diamond Member

Melonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant future

Good shit from Luka. You saw the lob coming and nobody could stop it. DJ went up so quick. Not used to seeing a center do that
Old 10-12-2018, 07:54 PM   #192
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

That lob from DSJ to DJ...

https://twitter.com/IsaacLHarris/sta...11343908454400

https://twitter.com/dallasmavs/statu...11492189622274

ďItís the Dirk Nowitzki effect on their offense. As a defense, you absolutely overreact to every situation heís
in -- or even that heís not in -- and then you lose all sight of your team defensive rules." --Erik Spoelstra
Old 10-12-2018, 08:04 PM   #193
Melonhead
Diamond Member

Melonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant future

Barea playing pretty bad here.
Old 10-12-2018, 08:19 PM   #194
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

this team is now bad at 2nd and 4th quarters
Old 10-12-2018, 09:09 PM   #195
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

I'm still not sure why people are high on Brunson? What am I missing?
Old 10-12-2018, 09:38 PM   #196
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

https://streamable.com/neh3d

Loved this play by Luka. He had a number of really slick plays tonight. This one I really wish got converted.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:41 PM   #197
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Quote:
I liked the pick when we took him if we had gotten rid of some of our guards. We lost Yogi so I was good with it. He hasn't been particularly good though. He had one good game in China but so far SL and preseason combined he's been a disappointment for sure. More surprised by his shot being so off. He's been pretty bad at ft's so maybe it's nerves... which I didn't think would be the case with him in preseason. If anything his ceiling isn't as high but his floor should be better than what he has shown imo.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:48 PM   #198
Underdog

Quote:
Quote:
I liked the pick when we took him if we had gotten rid of some of our guards. We lost Yogi so I was good with it. He hasn't been particularly good though. He had one good game in China but so far SL and preseason combined he's been a disappointment for sure. More surprised by his shot being so off. He's been pretty bad at ft's so maybe it's nerves... which I didn't think would be the case with him in preseason. If anything his ceiling isn't as high but his floor should be better than what he has shown imo.
He hasn't looked so good so far, but a lot of rookies don't. If he's still bricking his shots like this in a year then I'll be worried... Give him time, there are plenty of players who start off slow then start finding their groove later.

Old 10-12-2018, 10:28 PM   #199
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

I want to give a shout out to RC's wet dream lineup that we saw. The one with Deandre plus ... DSJ JJ Devin Luka. No idea what their net rating was but RC must have been perky about that one.
Old 10-12-2018, 11:17 PM   #200
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

Quote:
Most rookies start out awful

Dirk couldnít score a point for a good while

Brunson is just going to take time.

Or heíll be terrible

I just havenít seen much yet