Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-28-2011, 01:27 AM   #81
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394 View Post
His point is that he just don't like short basketball people. He didn't like tiny nate and he doesn't like JJB. He likes big tall men!! If you know what I mean and I THINK you do!!
thats what she said
mavs777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2011, 04:22 AM   #82
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

I really like JJ in this season!!!He has been doing great job!Carlisle trusts him and I too!!!
JJ.Barea is a good player!!!

No one loves Dirk any more than I do
MY HEART-WHERE DIRK NOWITZKI IS AND ALWAYS WILL BE AN ALL-STAR
41mvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:59 AM   #83
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

JJB's vision has really come around. I don't know if it's getting a consistent (and more talented) B-team with JET/Marion/Wood/Mahinmi but he's no longer just a sparkplug. He's quarterbacking.

If he can keep this up, I want him around for the long-term.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #84
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

He's never been more consistent. I remember a stretch maybe two years ago where he had 5 or 6 games in a row, scoring 20+, on good efficiency, and he was used primarily as a scoring punch. Aside from the occasional dumb three he still takes, he's a point guard now, a floor leader, and (!) scoring more efficiently than ever, i guess partly thanks to his improved PG play.

Last edited by Budapest Maverick; 02-28-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 10:53 AM   #85
Funkman

Funkman is a name known to allFunkman is a name known to allFunkman is a name known to allFunkman is a name known to allFunkman is a name known to allFunkman is a name known to allFunkman is a name known to allFunkman is a name known to allFunkman is a name known to all

For as much grief as I've given JJ over the last couple of years, it's only fair that his stretch of some pretty good ball gets acknowledged. I hope he keeps it going.
Funkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:13 AM   #86
41mvp
Golden Member

41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice41mvp is just really nice

We need him in the Playoffs time.He is a big part of this team.He has slow start but now he plays great basketball

Old 02-28-2011, 07:21 PM   #87
JeffViggiano
Banned

JeffViggiano will become famous soon enoughJeffViggiano will become famous soon enough

JJB is like nash hahahahah
JeffViggiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 07:26 PM   #88
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like he finally realized that this team need a backup playmaker mora than another bench scorer.

He is playing like a PG now. In the past he played mostly like an SG.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:24 PM   #89
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Very nice...And pretty wild if true..

http://www.nba.com/dleague/news/barea_030311.html
Quote:
Barea Found Mentor in Favorite Player

Related Images

Jason Kidd has mentored JJ Barea since the two became teammtes in Dallas.
Glenn James/NBAE/Getty Images

By Scott Stanchak, NBA D-League.com
Thursday, March 3, 2011 Many mornings as a child in Mayaguez, Puerto Rico, Jose Juan (JJ) Barea would open a dresser drawer and pluck out a New Jersey Nets jersey to wear that day. Barea treasured the jersey, which featured the last name of his favorite player: “Kidd.”
“The funny thing is he told me one day about my New Jersey Nets uniform he used to wear around, which made me feel old,” said Jason Kidd, the former Nets point guard of whom the jersey represented. “It was just an honor, too.”
Barea doesn’t wear his Kidd jersey anymore. That would just be weird. Nowadays, his jersey sits just a few feet from his boyhood idols, inside the Dallas Mavericks locker room.
“I think I told him pretty quick when he got on the team,” said Barea, who backs up Kidd nowadays. “As soon as I got some confidence I just let him know ‘I got your jersey and it’s the only jersey I got.’”
The 26-year-old grew up trying to model his game after Kidd. Barea reflects on how Kidd used to be a flashy player, offering dishes to teammates that would make the Sportscenter Top 10 nightly. Then, Kidd’s game began to mature. His passes were smarter and his scoring average improved.
“He’s a scorer,” Kidd said. “I don’t know if he was really modeling his game after me.”
“I just liked the way he got the rebounds on the other side and then could just pushed the ball as quick as he could to the other side to make something happen,” added Barea.
Barea picked up numerous accolades during his four years at Northeastern University, including being named a finalist for the Bob Cousy Award, given to the nation’s top point guard. Despite being one of the country’s premiere assist-makers, all 30 NBA teams passed over him in the 2006 NBA Draft.
The Golden State Warriors were the first to give Barea a shot with their Vegas Summer League team later that year. He then joined the Mavericks for the Rocky Mountain Revue, another summer league held in Utah. Barea flourished, averaging 12 points and nearly seven assists over three games. That October, Dallas offered him a one-year contract.
As with most rookies, Barea spent a majority of the time on the bench. The Mavericks saw promise, but with Jason Terry and Devin Harris as the starters, he was only being offered about six minutes a night. Dallas management figured the best course of action would be to send Barea to their NBA D-League affiliate, the Fort Worth Flyers, to get more time on the floor.
“Avery (Johnson) told me, ‘Hey, you’re going to go to the D-League for a couple times, see what you do,’” Barea said. “So I just took the opportunity to go over there and play.”
Barea was spectacular in his eight games with the Flyers. The 6-foot, 175-pound guard had 40 points on two different occasions, including a league-best 43-point performance for that season. The NBA D-League named Barea their Performer of the Week. He finished with averages of 27.2 points, 7.8 assists and five rebounds before the Mavericks realized they wanted him back.
“It was unbelievable. I was healthy. I was rested,” said Barea, who had his number 11 jersey retired by Fort Worth after his impressive short stint. “Everything was going well. It was an awesome time.”
The Mavericks haven’t let Barea go since. In five seasons with the team, he has appeared in 296 games, 45 as a starter, with averages of 6.9 points and 2.8 assists a night. This season is perhaps his best yet, posting career highs in points (9.3) and assists (3.6).
“It’s another year under your belt so another year you learn and another year my coach has great confidence in me,” Barea said. “My teammates have great confidence in me so that makes my job a lot easier. In this game you have to have confidence to play your game no matter what or who you’re playing, where you’re playing. With a coaching staff like that and teammates like that, it makes it a lot easier.”
“JJ Barea has gotten better each year. The more he plays the point guard position the better his recognition is in terms of running our team, setting other guys up,” Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle said. “We’re asking him to be both a scorer and a playmaker and be able to run the club. At times those things can be kind of diametric opposite forces, but he’s doing a really good job of merging those two things and getting better all the time.”
On Feb. 13, 2008, during Barea’s second NBA season, Dallas sent a package of five players, two first-round draft picks and cash to the New Jersey Nets for Kidd and Malik Allen. The deal meant Barea would be playing alongside the man whose jersey he proudly owned.
“He was my favorite player growing up and now I have him as a teammate,” Barea said, reflecting on the almost surreal.
“He said he used to watch and wanted to be a guy who can run the show,” Kidd said. “He’s done a great job since I’ve been with him. He’s grown each year. It’s fun to see him on the court having success.”
Barea acknowledges Kidd’s help in his development as an NBA player. Kidd’s encouragement is also more than appreciated.
“He talks to me. He talks to me in the game, outside of the game,” Barea said. “I make a basket and he’s the first one clapping, so that means a lot.”
It’s not often your favorite player claps for you.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:25 PM   #90
iella
Golden Member

iella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Shoot, was going to post this... you beat me to it. A good read for sure!
Old 03-03-2011, 05:44 PM   #91
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Fisher's day at practice has jjb all over it. He was duking it out with dsteve, roddy and peja at the 3pt line.

I think I saw roddy kick a ball and I believe it was jet yelling at him to watch it our he'd break a toe.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 03-03-2011, 06:40 PM   #92
monty55555
Platinum Member

monty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant futuremonty55555 has a brilliant future

Quote:

Great read. Thank you for sharing.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:32 PM   #93
dude1394
Guru

JJB is a BIG part of this thing...

Quote:
matrix31 Shawn Marion

With Jj at espn deportes http://twitpic.com/45u390

50 minutes ago Favorite Retweet Reply
Old 03-05-2011, 02:56 AM   #94
remnorz

remnorz is a glorious beacon of lightremnorz is a glorious beacon of lightremnorz is a glorious beacon of lightremnorz is a glorious beacon of lightremnorz is a glorious beacon of lightremnorz is a glorious beacon of lightremnorz is a glorious beacon of lightremnorz is a glorious beacon of light

remnorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 09:09 PM   #95
ShadowLink

ShadowLink will become famous soon enoughShadowLink will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Very good read. Nice article.
ShadowLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 05:59 AM   #96
JeffViggiano
Banned

JeffViggiano will become famous soon enoughJeffViggiano will become famous soon enough

only 16minutes,i can't understand that.
in the 3rd quarter he could help us,the RC's rotation will destroy him.
Old 03-07-2011, 08:44 AM   #97
41mvp
Golden Member

I tell you somethink Rick Carlisle isn't good coach

Old 03-10-2011, 03:15 PM   #98
ShadowLink

ShadowLink will become famous soon enoughShadowLink will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41mvp View Post
I tell you somethink Rick Carlisle isn't good coach
Rick Carlisle is Spoelstra v2.

xD joking
ShadowLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 12:06 PM   #99
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

[http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba...e=NBAHeadlines

Last edited by mavs777; 03-30-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:44 PM   #100
JeffViggiano
Banned

good work JJ hihihih
Old 03-30-2011, 01:18 PM   #101
iella
Golden Member

iella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond reputeiella has a reputation beyond repute

Someone start "JJB's girlfriend appreciation thread."
Old 03-30-2011, 01:28 PM   #102
41mvp
Golden Member

lucky bastard!!!

Old 03-30-2011, 03:26 PM   #103
iella
Golden Member

J.J. Barea ranks among NBA's best pests
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim MacMahon
LOS ANGELES – The most memorable moment from the last Clippers-Mavs meeting was a heated argument between Baron Davis and Rick Carlisle that featured the classic line, “Go have some lunch!”

Those two won’t go another round tonight, as Davis was shipped to Cleveland before the trade deadline. But it’s a pretty good bet that the instigator of that scene will get under somebody’s skin again.

That would be J.J. Barea, who ruffled Davis’ feathers by drawing an offensive foul near midcourt. As Barea often does, he made sure the referee noticed Davis’ push-off, reacting in animated fashion by flailing his arms and falling back.

“They think they’re bigger than me, so they really push off and I take advantage,” Barea said. “And I make sure the officials see it. Sometimes I scream, sometimes I look at them in the eye when I’m falling back. It works out.”

It’s worked out for 46 offensive fouls drawn this season, which ranks Barea fourth in the NBA in that category. He finished in the top five each of the last two seasons, too.

He’s just one of the NBA’s best pests.

Unlike most offensive fouls, the ones drawn by Barea are usually pain-free, although he has taken a few elbows upside the head. The vast majority of the calls are made because opposing point guards push him away like he’s an annoying little brother.

“He gets in position, and for whatever reason, because he’s a little bit smaller guy, guys tend to shove him off,” coach Rick Carlisle said. “When they do that, that’s a foul. He does a good job of being in position to take it.

“So often, they’re momentum-changing plays or game-defining plays. They’re generally big plays when they happen.”
Old 03-30-2011, 04:34 PM   #104
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

I would appreciate it more if we didn't have to play Barea.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:10 PM   #105
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfan1000 View Post
I would appreciate it more if we didn't have to play Barea.
your trolling is getting really tired. go wank off to some roddy vids or something.

Quote:
RT @TyLawson3 Good game between Dallas and Portland. Good thing we didn't end up getting Dallas. Coach Karl lost his mind.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:22 PM   #106
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman View Post
your trolling is getting really tired. go wank off to some roddy vids or something.
It's ok to talk bad about Roddy in the Roddy thread but you can't say a thing about Barea? lol Double standard.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:44 PM   #107
ribosoma
Golden Member

ribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond reputeribosoma has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It's ok to talk bad about Roddy in the Roddy thread but you can't say a thing about Barea? lol Double standard.
Is this the JJB development thread? There are plenty of threads where you can bag on a Mav player. This is a "JJB appreciation thread," hence people don't bag on the guy who is appreciated. I know it's complicated, but you'll get it eventually. You just have to actually read first.
ribosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:50 PM   #108
Kante
Diamond Member

Kante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond reputeKante has a reputation beyond repute

3-4 months ago you would be right but he found his rhytm and is more of PG than a SG now. So yeah, troll!
Kante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 06:52 PM   #109
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kante View Post
3-4 months ago you would be right but he found his rhytm and is more of PG than a SG now. So yeah, troll!
Um he had it and then lost it again. He had one great month and now everyone is ready to think he can actually step it up in the playoffs. I guess I'll have to remind you of last years Spurs series. He was getting destroyed by Parker or whoever he guarded. I can tell you I can't trust this player in the playoffs.

Last edited by mavsfan1000; 03-30-2011 at 06:53 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:24 PM   #110
mavs777
Diamond Member

there aren't many bench players you can trust during the playoffs, that is why they are bench players
Old 03-30-2011, 08:12 PM   #111
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Let me try...

I would appreciate it more if we didn't have to play Roddy.

There is not ONE post on this board like that. There are quite a few who point out his weaknesses but not a single one wishing he would not get any playing time.

THIS is the definition of your "troll" post.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:08 PM   #112
xrobx
Diamond Member

xrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond reputexrobx has a reputation beyond repute

xrobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 11:17 PM   #113
jcm28

jcm28 is a name known to alljcm28 is a name known to alljcm28 is a name known to alljcm28 is a name known to alljcm28 is a name known to alljcm28 is a name known to alljcm28 is a name known to alljcm28 is a name known to all

Quote:
Um he had it and then lost it again. He had one great month and now everyone is ready to think he can actually step it up in the playoffs. I guess I'll have to remind you of last years Spurs series. He was getting destroyed by Parker or whoever he guarded. I can tell you I can't trust this player in the playoffs.
I guess we'll have to remind you of 2009's playoff series vs. the Spurs, where JJB did a good job against Ginobili and Parker and we won the series 4-1.
jcm28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 01:25 AM   #114
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm28 View Post
I guess we'll have to remind you of 2009's playoff series vs. the Spurs, where JJB did a good job against Ginobili and Parker and we won the series 4-1.
Ginobili was out. And I believe Parker wasn't 100% if I remember correctly. But yeah Barea has never been forgotten by Carlisle since that series unfortunately. I think he is a mirage as he can do well against teams that aren't prepared for him and aren't that good. But in a big series, his limitations of size and length will be exposed.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:30 AM   #115
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

As a rapping giant once said... play on, playa.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 10:19 AM   #116
iella
Golden Member

At this point, I trust JJB more than I trust Jet in the playoffs. At least JJB has Miss Univ- I mean, at least JJB drives into the paint consistently. Not saying that Jet should play any game other than his own (jumpshooting), but the one-dimensionality of his offense means that if his shot's not falling, he's useless.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:36 AM   #117
dude1394
Guru

Looking at last nights shot chart. It will be difficult to make the argument that jjb doesn't get into the paint more than any player on this team.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:44 PM   #118
iella
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by @jjbareapr
Con mi muneka @Zuleyka_Rivera en LA una tarde bien relax ... Coqui http://yfrog.com/h0ytvfpj
Old 05-04-2011, 06:06 AM   #119
dalger
Golden Member

dalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant future

Hmm, I should have put more effort into my tennis "career"... I guess that's what they call "fruit of labor".
dalger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:19 AM   #120
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

Wow. Barea was great tonight except for a few possessions that got him benched. lol The matchups definitely suit him in this series. He couldn't really ask for a better matchup tbh.

Tags
hella baby juice, hella screens!, i tell you somethink, incredibly big balls, juevos grandes guey