Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 11-18-2020, 11:34 PM   #1
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Welcome to the Mavs Tyler Bey!

I'm going to miss Curry but the defense improvement is awesome
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2020, 11:34 PM   #2
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Tyler Bey | W/F | Colorado | Birthdate: Feb. 10, 1998 (Age: 22) | 6-7 | 210 LBS | Hometown: Las Vegas, Nev.

BACKGROUND: Brought up in Las Vegas and didnít start playing competitive hoops until he was in eighth grade. Father wasnít in the picture, mother had to work multiple jobs. Attended Las Vegas High through his junior year where he emerged as a standout basketball player, but grades werenít quite strong enough to attract high-level interest. Transferred to prep school Middlebrooks Academy in Los Angeles, where he spent two years and changed his habits to emerge into a legitimate high-major recruit. Consensus four-star recruit. Committed to Colorado over San Diego State and Arizona State. Part of arguably best recruiting class in school history. Solid freshman season that eventually saw him emerge as a starter midway through the year. Broke out as a sophomore, averaging 13.6 points and 9.9 rebounds per game on his way to first team All-Pac-12 and the leagueís Most Improved Player award. Was largely a similar player as a junior, making second team All-Pac-12 and adding the leagueís Defensive Player of the Year in large part because of his energy levels being off the charts.

YEAR TEAM LEAGUE Age GP PPG RPG APG TOPG BPG SPG FG% 3P% FT%
2017-18 Colorado NCAA (Pac-12) 20 32 6.1 5.1 0.5 1.2 0.7 0.7 50.3 00.0 68.5
2018-19 Colorado NCAA (Pac-12) 21 36 13.6 9.9 0.6 2.0 1.2 1.1 54.1 22.7 78.2
2019-20 Colorado NCAA (Pac-12) 22 31 13.8 9.0 1.5 2.4 1.2 1.3 53.0 41.9 74.3

STRENGTHS: The key word for Bey is energy. Bey is relentless, plays hard and provides positive energy to his team through his sheer presence on the floor. On top of that, he is an elite athlete with terrific positional size and length at 6-foot-7 with a 7-foot wingspan. That energy results in high-level production. Manifests itself best on the defensive end right now, where he is a whirling dervish of limbs and contests on the ball. Won the Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year award because heís very active on that end of the floor. Definitely makes plays happen. Does well chasing blocks from the weak side, and shoots passing lanes with his length. If heís going to play in the NBA long-term, his calling card must be his defensive ability. Often, being a genuine NBA-caliber athlete with an elite work ethic and terrific physical dimensions is enough to make it work, especially in a league where the demand is so high for wings.

Bey is also a tremendous rebounder. Crashes the glass on both ends and wins extra possessions for his team. Finishes really well at the basket, having made 63.6 percent of his half court shot attempts at the rim this season. Gets a lot of those shots as a cutter toward the rim and off offensive rebounds. Functioned as a big in Coloradoís offense. Good at leaking out in transition. Made open 3s this year when he had time to set and fire.

WEAKNESSES: The holes in Beyís game are real. Letís start on offense. Didnít act as a wing or guard in Coloradoís offense, so scouts have limited tape on the role heíll be asked to play in the NBA, but also hasnít showcased the wing skills necessary to perform them. Doesnít really have much in the way of perimeter skill for a wing. Not a strong ballhandler. Only wing that didnít run a single pick-and-roll possession this season. Mostly functioned as a post-up big in the half court that also cuts, attacks the offensive glass, and rolls to the rim. Was successful in this role at the college level but wonít be asked to do this in the NBA. Most of his shots at the rim are created off of cuts and passes by others, not his own creativity and driving. Leads to a higher percentage of makes that could overstate his finishing numbers a bit.

The wing skills he has shown arenít ideal. As a passer, he does try and shows some potential to make high-level reads, but more often throws mind-numbingly silly passes that result in turnovers. Consistently a negative assist-to-turnover guy over the last two years because he tries to do too much with it. Heíll throw cross-court passes through limbs that get deflected and he has a tendency to leave his feet then try to make a decision, which limits the amount of time he has and results in poor processing of where defenders are. Additionally, his shooting is poor. The 41.9 percent mark is misleading. Not a confident shooter, as he took one per game and only 59 attempts in three years. Base is very poor. Narrow base with little knee bend, which results in his legs flying everywhere after the shot as he tries to generate power. Inconsistent release point up top. Gets the shot off quickly. Will take multiple years of work to get him to an acceptable level because there are so many adjustments. Shooting will be Beyís swing skill as to whether or not he sticks in the NBA.

Iím also not quite as high on his overall defensive skill package as many. Thought it was a poor choice on the part of the Pac-12 coaches to award him Defensive Player of the year ahead of Kylor Kelley and Onyeka Okongwu, given that Okongwu was more individually impactful and his teamís defense was better. Colorado was actually three points worse per 100 possessions defensively when Bey was on the floor versus when he was off of it, according to Pivot Analysis. He was the only starter that had a negative defensive impact. Must have been a purely blocks/steals, stat-based decision by the coaches, not accounting for his actual impact. Because while Bey is energetic, rebounds, and makes action plays, his overall play is not as consistent as youíd like to see it be. On a possession-by-possession basis, he is constantly overaggressive and has a wild tendency to overhelp. And on-ball, his positioning and fundamentals are a real problem and allow him to get driven a bit too often. Bey is a wild athlete who runs on instinct out there. Itís a bit tougher to do that at the NBA level, when the rotations are a few steps longer and the offensive players are a few seconds smarter. Will need to clean up his overaggressive tendencies.

SUMMARY: Given that I have more weaknesses here than strengths, you can see that Iím not quite as high on Bey. NBA teams, particularly ones with more analytical bents, look at his production, NBA-level frame and high-level athleticism and think he can turn into a real rotation-level wing. These teams also often think that jump shots are very workable, and that his defense will translate fully, and he can be an All-Defense team member if he keeps improving. This is why Bey is seen as likely to go in the top-45 and receive a guaranteed contract. Iím not quite there. Iím not sure that I see the feel for the game necessary to be that level of defender and I have significant worries about what his offensive skill package looks like at the next level. Athleticism, motor, and frame can get you far and Bey does have genuinely interesting tools worth an NBA teamís time. But Iíd much rather take a shot on a guy like this as a developmental two-way player versus as a part of a roster next season.

GRADE: Likely to be selected and receive guaranteed contract, but I see him as more of a two-way guy
Old 11-19-2020, 04:43 PM   #3
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

I hate to say it but he just looks like a guy. Nothing unique or special.
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 05:24 PM   #4
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
I'm going to miss Curry but the defense improvement is awesome
T. Bey is an interesting prospect, but the real value here is in Richardson.
Old 11-19-2020, 05:36 PM   #5
Thespiralgoeson
Diamond Member

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookit View Post
I hate to say it but he just looks like a guy. Nothing unique or special.
I mean, you can't expect much when you're drafting #36. It's unlikely you're getting a player that will ever have success in the NBA.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 06:02 PM   #6
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant future

I have spent maybe 20 hours watching film of Tyler Bey, thanks to him being my buddy's favorite player in the entire draft.

He is raw on the offensive end, but that's only especially true if you think he's a wing, which he's not. He's actually a 4, and while my buddy disagrees, I think he's a small ball 4/5, rather than a HUGE 4/3.

At THAT position, he'll be able to play the Dwight Powell role pretty quickly, imo, and he is AT LEAST the second most athletic player in this draft. Think Phoenix area Shawn Marion (people thought he was a 3, but D'Antoni figured out how to use him as a small ball 4).

Played like that, he'll have the foot speed and vertical spacing ability to give the mavs an advantage almost constantly, and he'll be EXTREMELY switchable on defense. A lot of people thought he was the best PERIMETER defender in the draft (hence his mislabeling as a wing).

I'm not promising it will happen quickly, or even this season, but this dude is going to wet your appetites at some point if he's not traded before he gets a chance. He might be the most physically gifted dude the Mavericks have had since I've been watching them.

This is one of the things I was most excited about last night. More so than Green, for sure.

Last edited by KillerLeft; 11-19-2020 at 06:02 PM.
KillerLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2020, 06:10 PM   #7
MFFL
Guru

I had heard the Matrix comparisons too. Hopefully he becomes Matrix Lite
Old 11-19-2020, 06:18 PM   #8
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

We'll have to see. Dude will be G-league for most of the year. That's not a super auspicious start.

Dude was solid and hit threes with the best of them and had the highest vertical ever for a forward, but I don't expect him to play any meaningful minutes for us this season.
Old 11-19-2020, 06:23 PM   #9
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
We'll have to see. Dude will be G-league for most of the year. That's not a super auspicious start.
Well, I'm not so sure. I know there are reports today that he'll be signed to a two-way, but...there have also been reports that two-ways will be treated differently this season, because I'm not even sure the G League is going to happen.

Donnie talked about this just last night: essentially, this season, there are simply 17 normal roster spots. There will be no limit to how many days/games those guys are allowed to be with the team like there normally would be.

So, knowing this, the Mavs seemed to have traded for an extra 2nd rounder (non-automatic contract spot) to take advantage of a temporary loophole. This keeps roster spots open that can increase flexibility over the next week as they continue to team-build, and because Bey is a drafted player, they have exclusive rights to transform his two-way contract into a normal one at any time they wish. It's actually kind of a smart little move, imo.

...or maybe they trade his ass in some kind of sign and trade for Gallinari on Friday. Who knows.
Old 11-23-2020, 01:14 PM   #10
KillerLeft

https://youtu.be/QQ6lt57NJfs
Old 11-24-2020, 01:11 AM   #11
tap2390
Platinum Member

tap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant future

Bey was one of my favorite players in the draft. No guarantee he puts it all together but damn he definitely has the tools. As a throw in to the Curry trade you really canít ask for much more.
Old 11-24-2020, 12:48 PM   #12
KillerLeft

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Bey was one of my favorite players in the draft. No guarantee he puts it all together but damn he definitely has the tools. As a throw in to the Curry trade you really canít ask for much more.
Yeah, and he was actually rising in the mocks consistently over the past weeks. Iíve actually seen him as high as 18, and he was in the late 20ís enough that I didnít think theyíd be able to get him at 31, let alone 36!

Itís a steal, imo. I might have some homer glasses on this one because Iíve studied him so much, but if he makes it, heís the type of athlete the Mavs have never had.
Old 11-24-2020, 05:05 PM   #13
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

I had said before I didn't want Tyler Bey at 31. His upside is pretty big given his athleticism but his floor is particularly low even for a 2nd rounder. But having a 3rd pick... oddly enough I wouldn't have taken many over Bey as a throw in high ceiling prospect.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 06:21 PM   #14
MFFL
Guru

I liked Bey quite a bit. If the draft had fallen a different way, I could see the Mavs choices being Terry as a 1st rounder and Bey in the second
Old 11-24-2020, 06:23 PM   #15
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

People are underestimating Green. Dude is going to be strong.
Old 11-24-2020, 07:12 PM   #16
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
People are underestimating Green. Dude is going to be strong.
Count me in as one of those who underestimate Green but I hope he proves me wrong. He is definitely strong but so was Anderson and Jones.
Not saying he’ll be a bust by any means but my expectations are not as high for Green as they are for Terry.

Last edited by rimrocker; 11-24-2020 at 07:14 PM.
rimrocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 07:17 PM   #17
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Two-way players can spend unlimited time with their teams this year BTW