Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 01-31-2017, 02:38 PM   #1
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a jewel in the roughBigDog63 is a jewel in the roughBigDog63 is a jewel in the roughBigDog63 is a jewel in the rough
Default Derick Rose a potential Mav?

Just thought I'd throw this out there for discussion. He's a UFA, the Mavs will need help at PG, and he seems to fit the profile of Mavs signings: older players at a cross roads in their careers, with potential injury issues the Mavs training staff seems better able to work around than other teams.

Could this happen? Would you want it to happen? If so, how much would you like to see him signed here for, and do you think that would be enough to get him here?

Last edited by BigDog63; 01-31-2017 at 02:39 PM.
BigDog63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2017, 02:41 PM   #2
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

No
Old 01-31-2017, 02:44 PM   #3
Skywalker
Platinum Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
No
/thread

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 03:55 PM   #4
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog63 View Post
he seems to fit the profile of Mavs signings: older players at a cross roads in their careers
Aside from re-signing Deron at a discount, the Mavs haven't signed a FA that fits this description since 2015.

Also, Derrick Rose is garbage.

Its the Dirk Nowitzki effect on their offense. As a defense, you absolutely overreact to every situation hes
in -- or even that hes not in -- and then you lose all sight of your team defensive rules." --Erik Spoelstra
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 04:10 PM   #5
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

To go into more detail:

1) We're looking to rebuild. We don't want aging vets. Dude is only 28, but he's got 200k miles on those tires. As far as I'm concerned, he's as broken down as 35+ vets. If we were pushing the second and third round, I'd ignore the age thing (but still say no based on reasons 2-4), but dude is aging rapidly. He hasn't played 67+ games in a season since 2010-2011. His knees and ankles might as well have been built out of glass. Dude is rapidly falling apart and a lot of the elite athleticism that propelled him to greatness has faded.

2) He's a headcase. Dude just refused to go to a game, which is even worse than Rondo did. Dude just didn't show up for practice and the plane without telling one on the team. He later said it was family, but didn't communicate and the story didn't add up. Just say no to quitters and head cases.

3) He's really inefficient. He can't hit a three and he's 41st among PGs in TS%, so literally worse than every other starting PG and even some reserves. Dude is an an offense-first PG who isn't even good at that. He'd be decent at putting up 20ppg on a losing team, but his lack of efficiency is terrible and not conducive to having a good team.

4) I just personally hate him.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 01-31-2017 at 04:45 PM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 05:25 PM   #6
Thebo

Thebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to behold

Shame, was thinking this had something to do with Melo trade. Mavs can cover his salary with Bogut and DWill who would be later bought out and then they can join their contender teams.

If DWill ends his season with the Mavs and wants to stay in Dallas for next season, I do not see how getting Rose would be any better. If Rose had a decent 3 point shot, I could see a discussion there, but overall I personally see DWill doing same things as Rose, minus the 3 point shot. Rose is younger but I view him as old as DWill. Both are known to have trouble playing a full season and having troubles with their legs.

I would not pay Rose more than DWill and this is if DWill takes a discount for next season. I can not picture Rose signing for more than 10 million a year. 10M is something that bad team might pay for him, decent teams could go for much less.

In this league, at the current state, centers who can not hit mid range shot, have low value. Guards without 3 are not worth much either. Add injury issues and you can see how Rose's value is next to nothing.

I do not see how Rose would fit into Mavs' system, even if it changes a little. Rose still needs ball in his hands but I would much rather see ball in Barnes' hands. So, as far as seeing him in Dallas, my answer would be no. If it came down to signing him, probably not over 6M and for only one season.

If Mavs are able to draft PG, then this conversation ends quickly.
Thebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 05:56 PM   #7
BPo001
Golden Member

BPo001 has much to be proud ofBPo001 has much to be proud ofBPo001 has much to be proud ofBPo001 has much to be proud ofBPo001 has much to be proud ofBPo001 has much to be proud ofBPo001 has much to be proud ofBPo001 has much to be proud ofBPo001 has much to be proud ofBPo001 has much to be proud ofBPo001 has much to be proud of

http://www.sbnation.com/2017/1/11/14...ontract-knicks

Dude is apparently looking for a max salary. No thank you.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:10 PM   #8
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have interest in Derrick Rose, on or off the court, for virtually any price.
spreedom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:30 PM   #9
BigDog63

BigDog63 is a jewel in the roughBigDog63 is a jewel in the roughBigDog63 is a jewel in the roughBigDog63 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
http://www.sbnation.com/2017/1/11/14...ontract-knicks

Dude is apparently looking for a max salary. No thank you.
Agree. Definitely not at that price.

Quote:
Shame, was thinking this had something to do with Melo trade
That could possibly be the case...but then would the Mavs resign him? They would almost have to.

Quote:
I would not pay Rose more than DWil
Rose's stats this year aren't that far off his career averages, and over the last 10 games they are at those averages, getting over 19 pts a game, 4.5 Assists, and 4 rebounds. He is a better player than DWill. Personally, I was surprised to see how well he seems to be playing this year, at least statistically, which is why I created this thread.

Quote:
1) We're looking to rebuild. We don't want aging vets
Can you point to anywhere Cuban has said that? Or Donnie (whose directive would come from Cuban? Next year likely Dirk's last, I don't think they are looking to rebuild. They would be looking to make the most of Dirk's last year that they could. Because Dirk isn't interested in being part of a rebuild.

Quote:
3) He's really inefficient. He can't hit a three and he's 41st among PGs in TS%, so literally worse than every other starting PG and even some reserves. Dude is an an offense-first PG who isn't even good at that. He'd be decent at putting up 20ppg on a losing team, but his lack of efficiency is terrible and not conducive to having a good team
Fair points. But much the same was said of Monta, yet he became a much better all around player here, where Carlisle actually had to beg him to shoot more.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:38 PM   #10
tap2390

tap2390 has much to be proud oftap2390 has much to be proud oftap2390 has much to be proud oftap2390 has much to be proud oftap2390 has much to be proud oftap2390 has much to be proud oftap2390 has much to be proud oftap2390 has much to be proud oftap2390 has much to be proud oftap2390 has much to be proud oftap2390 has much to be proud of

Vomit.

Last edited by tap2390; 01-31-2017 at 06:38 PM.
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:46 PM   #11
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

lol we have Barea under contract and he is better and not an idiot.

Rose also stated that the only thing he is playing for is this next big contract in the summer. For his family blabla. He is seeking a max deal. After he got his money he will mentally check out of the game.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:48 PM   #12
BigDog63

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Vomit.
LOL, I'll take that as a 'no, not interested'.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:52 PM   #13
BigDog63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Aside from re-signing Deron at a discount, the Mavs haven't signed a FA that fits this description since 2015.

Also, Derrick Rose is garbage.
Tyson Chandler, Elton Brand, Richard Jefferson, Vince Carter, Dejuan Blair...could go on, but the point is, this is exactly the pattern under Cuban. Look for any veteran players that can be had for a bargain, many of which are bargains due to injury concerns. Since 2015? Bogut. Prior to Bogut? Zaza. Pretty much every FA they get fits this description. It's Cuban's MO.

Last edited by BigDog63; 01-31-2017 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:56 PM   #14
NeedlesKane

NeedlesKane is a name known to allNeedlesKane is a name known to allNeedlesKane is a name known to allNeedlesKane is a name known to allNeedlesKane is a name known to allNeedlesKane is a name known to allNeedlesKane is a name known to allNeedlesKane is a name known to allNeedlesKane is a name known to allNeedlesKane is a name known to allNeedlesKane is a name known to all

I don't wish Rose on my greatest enemies. I feel bad for any team that gets him. I'd be pissed if he came to the Mavs.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:39 PM   #15
Thespiralgoeson
Diamond Member

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

No rapists on my team, please.
Old 01-31-2017, 07:59 PM   #16
Thebo

Thebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
That could possibly be the case...but then would the Mavs resign him? They would almost have to.
Why would Mavs almost have to re-sign him? Bogut is doing nothing. You are not necessarily losing value. Without this trade, DWill may still walk or call it quits in terms of basketball. I see no reason why Mavs would have to re-sign Rose any more than they would offer him a contract this offseason without this aforementioned trade.

With this many PGs coming in this draft, there's bound to be one or more available through free agency or trade scenarios that can do as well. Mavs do not have to pull a Rondo like Bulls had to.

Quote:
Rose's stats this year aren't that far off his career averages, and over the last 10 games they are at those averages, getting over 19 pts a game, 4.5 Assists, and 4 rebounds. He is a better player than DWill. Personally, I was surprised to see how well he seems to be playing this year, at least statistically, which is why I created this thread.
I noticed earlier this season that Rose is at least putting up nice stats comparable to his earlier years. His real commitment is still questionable. Also, Rose is in his contract year, looking for a max deal. No wonder he is putting up stats. This is also why I believe that a team like Kings may offer him big deal, much like they tried their hand with Rondo. I do not think any serious team is going to lock him in long term.

Quote:
Next year likely Dirk's last, I don't think they are looking to rebuild. They would be looking to make the most of Dirk's last year that they could. Because Dirk isn't interested in being part of a rebuild.
For all we know, this season may be Dirk's last. This may have nothing to do with his motivation and more to do with his health. Mavs and Dirk have not publicly talked much about Dirk's attitude towards final season. Maybe he would be up to playing his last season in a rebuilding team where he can still play hard and mentor young stud.

There is no reason for Dirk to play in a team that is tanking. But in a rebuilding team when you have a young stud like Fultz or Smith? I think fans are not the only ones noticing how bad Dirk on defense is. No wonder he is okay with considering coming off the bench, but Mavs simply have no other big man on the team.

Quote:
But much the same was said of Monta, yet he became a much better all around player here, where Carlisle actually had to beg him to shoot more.
Better all around player? I do not remember much of defense from him. Only iso plays. He even started to drive less to the basket and settle more for his mediocre mid-range shot. Take a look at his game logs. There is a reason why his minutes are down from 30 to 20.

This is coming from someone who used to love Ellis during his GSW time. I do not think that Powell is in any way overpaid but I do think that Ellis at 10M is overpaid.

One of few true success stories with Mavs is in my opinion Vince Carter, who was basically out of the league before he signed in Dallas. Even in his first year in Memphis he was rather bad.

Oh, when it comes to Carlisle giving him ball all the time and telling him to shoot more. Who else besides Dirk at that time was to score the basketball? Monta was only hope of actually scoring on a regular basis, because Parsons had to do his nails on the sideline. Carlisle has been begging for Matthews to shoot more also. Makes no real difference in the argument.

Last edited by Thebo; 01-31-2017 at 08:02 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:47 PM   #17
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Tyson Chandler, Elton Brand, Richard Jefferson, Vince Carter, Dejuan Blair...could go on, but the point is, this is exactly the pattern under Cuban. Look for any veteran players that can be had for a bargain, many of which are bargains due to injury concerns. Since 2015? Bogut. Prior to Bogut? Zaza. Pretty much every FA they get fits this description. It's Cuban's MO.
The "2015" part is the entire point -- we USED to chase broken-down vets, but now now we're in full-rebuild mode... Bogut wasn't a free agent, he was traded to us.

Not including our draft picks/Deron/Dirk, these are the free agents the Mavs have signed this year: Harrison Barnes (24), Seth Curry (26), Dwight Powell (25), Dorian Finney-Smith (23), Nicolas Brussino (23), Yogi Ferrell (23), Pierre Jackson (25), and Sarah Mejri (30).

Obviously Cuban's MO has changed.

Its the Dirk Nowitzki effect on their offense. As a defense, you absolutely overreact to every situation hes
in -- or even that hes not in -- and then you lose all sight of your team defensive rules." --Erik Spoelstra

Last edited by Underdog; 01-31-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Old 01-31-2017, 09:30 PM   #18
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Go to RealGM and go to the Knicks board.

Rose is garbage on the team and constantly kills the offense. He is playing for his numbers only.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 10:34 PM   #19
Thebo

To be correct. Pachulia was traded. One name that people are missing here is another ex-Warrior (seems like Mavs and Warriors are sharing players a lot) - David Lee. He fits the old bill of signing vet for another push and was signed less than a year ago.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:01 PM   #20
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebo View Post
To be correct. Pachulia was traded. One name that people are missing here is another ex-Warrior (seems like Mavs and Warriors are sharing players a lot) - David Lee. He fits the old bill of signing vet for another push and was signed less than a year ago.
He was signed off of waivers, not as a free agent... Although he did fit the old bill... But this isn't then. Youth movement.

Last edited by Underdog; 01-31-2017 at 11:05 PM.