Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-07-2017, 11:42 PM   #41
Bryan_Wilson
Platinum Member

Bryan_Wilson has a brilliant futureBryan_Wilson has a brilliant futureBryan_Wilson has a brilliant futureBryan_Wilson has a brilliant futureBryan_Wilson has a brilliant futureBryan_Wilson has a brilliant futureBryan_Wilson has a brilliant futureBryan_Wilson has a brilliant futureBryan_Wilson has a brilliant futureBryan_Wilson has a brilliant futureBryan_Wilson has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
So the Basketball Gods want us to have a high pick... Or not... Whatever, let's get drunk.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2017, 11:48 PM   #42
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Don't drink.

Had two hard ciders tonight.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 02-07-2017 at 11:49 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 12:07 AM   #43
rimrocker
Platinum Member

rimrocker has much to be proud ofrimrocker has much to be proud ofrimrocker has much to be proud ofrimrocker has much to be proud ofrimrocker has much to be proud ofrimrocker has much to be proud ofrimrocker has much to be proud ofrimrocker has much to be proud ofrimrocker has much to be proud ofrimrocker has much to be proud ofrimrocker has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I'll bet a nickel and a penny that this team is just as bad next season if the rebounding issue isn't addressed. That and the injuries are two plagues a team can't overcome.
Wonder if there is anything to that Nurkic rumor....hell, we might want them to include Faried.
Didn't Denver want to dump Faried a while back?
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 01:16 AM   #44
Bryan_Wilson
Platinum Member

Bryan_Wilson has a brilliant futureBryan_Wilson has a brilliant futureBryan_Wilson has a brilliant futureBryan_Wilson has a brilliant futureBryan_Wilson has a brilliant futureBryan_Wilson has a brilliant futureBryan_Wilson has a brilliant futureBryan_Wilson has a brilliant futureBryan_Wilson has a brilliant futureBryan_Wilson has a brilliant futureBryan_Wilson has a brilliant future

You can get away with being small in the front court or small in the back court. But you can't get away with both at the same time without some really really special and versatile players. And the Mavs have been doing both for quite a while now. When Dwill and JJ are healthy we will have 5 guys 6'3 and under in our top 9-10 rotation. And we have exactly 0 bigs who compliment them on both ends of the floor.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:55 AM   #45
MavzMan

MavzMan has much to be proud ofMavzMan has much to be proud ofMavzMan has much to be proud ofMavzMan has much to be proud ofMavzMan has much to be proud ofMavzMan has much to be proud ofMavzMan has much to be proud ofMavzMan has much to be proud ofMavzMan has much to be proud ofMavzMan has much to be proud ofMavzMan has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
Wonder if there is anything to that Nurkic rumor....hell, we might want them to include Faried.
Didn't Denver want to dump Faried a while back?
I almost posted yesterday about Faried. For whatever reason, he's fallen off their rotation barely getting 20+ mpg now. He's a little under sized at the 4/5, but the guy brings it every time he's on the court.
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:35 AM   #46
rimrocker
Platinum Member

rimrocker has much to be proud ofrimrocker has much to be proud ofrimrocker has much to be proud ofrimrocker has much to be proud ofrimrocker has much to be proud ofrimrocker has much to be proud ofrimrocker has much to be proud ofrimrocker has much to be proud ofrimrocker has much to be proud ofrimrocker has much to be proud ofrimrocker has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavzMan View Post
I almost posted yesterday about Faried. For whatever reason, he's fallen off their rotation barely getting 20+ mpg now. He's a little under sized at the 4/5, but the guy brings it every time he's on the court.
I don't know how bad they want to dump Faried's contract but that might be a way to get Nurkic without giving up too much.
Bogut/Anderson for Faried/Nurkic should work salary wise but not sure what other assets would have to be included.

I'm not a huge fan of Nurkic's style but at least he is big and can grab some rebounds and provide some offense. His defense would concern me though.
But the two of them would certainly help address our enormous rebounding issue.
Old 02-08-2017, 09:42 AM   #47
Thebo

Thebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavzMan View Post
Does not very much address defensive needs but does give rebounding. Still, you would be buying a PF when you are in need of C... and that PF is too small to constantly average C minutes. Would not surprise me if he would get 20-ish minutes as a Maverick and come off the bench.
Thebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:41 AM   #48
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebo View Post
Does not very much address defensive needs but does give rebounding. Still, you would be buying a PF when you are in need of C... and that PF is too small to constantly average C minutes. Would not surprise me if he would get 20-ish minutes as a Maverick and come off the bench.
My thoughts, too. We have a starting PF in Barnes. I like Faried and he'd certainly up our talent level, but you only benefit from a player if he can play. We'd either have a situation where we had talent but weren't benefitting or we'd have a situation like the Dirk/Antawn/Antoine days where we had too many talented PFs.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:55 AM   #49
saclare

saclare has much to be proud ofsaclare has much to be proud ofsaclare has much to be proud ofsaclare has much to be proud ofsaclare has much to be proud ofsaclare has much to be proud ofsaclare has much to be proud ofsaclare has much to be proud ofsaclare has much to be proud ofsaclare has much to be proud ofsaclare has much to be proud of

Game was actually really awesome, obviously except for the end result. AAC was rocking for a Tuesday night.

It looked like Yogi and Curry passed up some opportunities and were hesitant at times (once leading to a locked Yogi layup). Barnes, Mathews, and Dirk came to play.

There was a stretch in the 2nd quarter that we were lucky to come back from. That lineup was atrocious, limited on both ends of the floor. If I recall, we scored like 2 points in over 4 minutes. I think it was maybe Curry-Mathews-DFS-Barnes-Powell. The only good thing it seemed for that last 6 mins was the Harris buzzer beater.

Rebounding was bad. At times, it just seemed to be bouncing their way. But others were definitely obtainable and we just got out muscled. I liked Plumlee's game. He's still a bit raw, as evidenced by the foul trouble, but he is a smart big. I wonder if they'll keep both Plumlee and Leonard (when healthy).

Overall though, lots to like about the youth. Dirk definitely still has game left beyond this year. Curry and Yogi need to stay aggressive.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:15 AM   #50
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

faried isnt a bad contract
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 11:44 AM   #51
Melonhead
Diamond Member

Melonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant future

This team will be the same next year ebbing and flowing towards the 8 seed if the rebounding isnt addressed. We have a nice core, but man we need a rebounder so bad
Old 02-08-2017, 11:46 AM   #52
Bryan_Wilson
Platinum Member

Not really a fan of Faried for this Mavs team. He has the same problem that the other "nice" pieces on the roster do. They don't compliment each other. If we are going to run Barnes heavy at the 4 we can't play Faried next to him as a small 5. If he's primarily spelling Barnes at the 4 we need a 5 who can step out and hit long 2's or 3's to keep things spread on offense. We also need that 5 to be a rim protector. If we had a big like Marc Gasol I think it would work well. Dirk can strip the ball some and play sneaky decent defense under the rim but he still can't challenge shots, and neither would Fareid. I just think Fareid is a nice player but we don't have the right fit personnel wise to make it consistently productive. And I don't see an available solution to pair with him in free agency next year.

So at best I see him as a 15-18mpg Dwight Powell upgrade for us. Maybe he gets more minutes due to us needing rebounding but it's like plugging a leak in a wooden boat by removing a plug from another leak.

Last edited by Bryan_Wilson; 02-08-2017 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:48 PM   #53
Thebo

Thebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to beholdThebo is a splendid one to behold

I think most of all Mavs need a 5 who can defend and rebound, also run the floor. This should be addressed as primary need. If that 5 can shoot mid range, all the better. But blocking shots and rebounding should be first. It is much to ask to get a center that can block shots, rebound and shoot a ball. So, when it comes down to it, I would take defense over shooting.

Faried's contract is good and it will be up before he becomes overpaid. His issue is that he can not shoot the ball well in a league where PF has to be able to shoot.
Thebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 01:49 PM   #54
rimrocker
Platinum Member

I thought Denver was trying to move Faried to get rid of his contract a while back....perhaps I'm wrong about that.
If that was and is still the case I thought that might be a way to get a decent player from them like Nurkic or maybe something/someone else while taking on Faried's contract.

I don't see Faried as a good fit here either but if we can gain another piece for the future in the process then I'm all for it.

But maybe sefant is right and that contract isn't a bad one.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:58 PM   #55
Bryan_Wilson
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebo View Post
I think most of all Mavs need a 5 who can defend and rebound, also run the floor. This should be addressed as primary need. If that 5 can shoot mid range, all the better. But blocking shots and rebounding should be first. It is much to ask to get a center that can block shots, rebound and shoot a ball. So, when it comes down to it, I would take defense over shooting.

Faried's contract is good and it will be up before he becomes overpaid. His issue is that he can not shoot the ball well in a league where PF has to be able to shoot.
I agree having a big to run the floor with defense and rebounding is the priority for this current team. I was referring to the scenario of getting Faried. Then the 5 has to be able to shoot as well. Otherwise every single NBA team will defend us by leaving Faried or the 5 wide open from 10ft+ and just pack the paint. And since most of our offense is pnr heavy ball movement the defense just has to scramble to force the ball into the bigs hands or wait for a contested 3. Faried can't play the 5 next to Barnes so he would have to have a 5 he can match with. Which is why I think Fareid is a terrible fit here. If we are talking pairing a big with Dirk or Barnes then he just needs to run the floor rebound and defend I agree.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:31 PM   #56
Robillion
Golden Member

Robillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant futureRobillion has a brilliant future

member when we had Tyson Chandler, Brenden Haywood, Ian Mahinmi, and Alexis Ajinca ALL on the same roster? Not to mention a younger Dirk, a still effective Shawn Marion, and guards that could rebound in RoddyB, Caron Butler, and Jason Kidd.

It's like we cared about rebounding or something.

sigh

edit: wow, somehow we were still only 14th for rebounding in the league in '10-'11.

Last edited by Robillion; 02-08-2017 at 03:37 PM.
Robillion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 03:29 AM   #57
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robillion View Post
member when we had Tyson Chandler, Brenden Haywood, Ian Mahinmi, and Alexis Ajinca ALL on the same roster? Not to mention a younger Dirk, a still effective Shawn Marion, and guards that could rebound in RoddyB, Caron Butler, and Jason Kidd.

It's like we cared about rebounding or something.

sigh

edit: wow, somehow we were still only 14th for rebounding in the league in '10-'11.
That was when Cuban could still throw $ at problems. It would be nice to have some guards that can board at the very least, I agree.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:44 AM   #58
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

One of our main problems is that the guys shoot and immediately everyone starts running back down the floor. No one even really comes close to crashing the boards unless we are positioned perfectly and it's convienient to do so.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 09:50 AM   #59
BPo001
Golden Member

BPo001 has much to be proud ofBPo001 has much to be proud ofBPo001 has much to be proud ofBPo001 has much to be proud ofBPo001 has much to be proud ofBPo001 has much to be proud ofBPo001 has much to be proud ofBPo001 has much to be proud ofBPo001 has much to be proud ofBPo001 has much to be proud ofBPo001 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
One of our main problems is that the guys shoot and immediately everyone starts running back down the floor. No one even really comes close to crashing the boards unless we are positioned perfectly and it's convienient to do so.

That could be Rick's gameplan though. Last year he usually had everyone get back except Zaza who would crash the offensive glass. Might be better for our guys to get back and get into their defensive set rather than let the other team get out and run on us.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 10:01 AM   #60
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
That could be Rick's gameplan though. Last year he usually had everyone get back except Zaza who would crash the offensive glass. Might be better for our guys to get back and get into their defensive set rather than let the other team get out and run on us.
Sure, but you can't continue down a path as if it were black and white when there is clearly gray area, no? IF you are getting consistently dominated, change it up. Clearly he sees rebounding as an issue, but I have been watching this happen all season.

Old 02-09-2017, 10:53 AM   #61
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
And the huge problem with this game plan is that any good center we get in the future will be run down by being the only guy trying to grab the offensive boards. Hell, the only guy trying to get any rebound...
Old 02-09-2017, 10:54 AM   #62
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
That game plan ran Zaza into the ground.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:53 AM   #63
BPo001
Golden Member

BPo001 has much to be proud ofBPo001 has much to be proud ofBPo001 has much to be proud ofBPo001 has much to be proud ofBPo001 has much to be proud ofBPo001 has much to be proud ofBPo001 has much to be proud ofBPo001 has much to be proud ofBPo001 has much to be proud ofBPo001 has much to be proud ofBPo001 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
That game plan ran Zaza into the ground.
I'm not saying it was a good plan, but that is what was employed.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 11:22 AM   #64
SMC0007
Diamond Member

What I've been seeing wasn't near as bad last night. I really focused on Dirk when we were making the run to get back in the game and he was boxing out really nicely. He boxed out Gobert early and had great position. The whole team was really focused to another level on getting that ball after a Jazz shot. In the last few minutes and in O.T. everyone was fundamentally sound aside from one unlucky series of bounces.