Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 05-09-2019, 10:35 AM   #1001
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
Why isn't Nikolai Mirotic the odd man out? I don't know the answer to this question, I'm just asking.

Isn't he a pretty good fit in Dallas? He's got the same agent as Luca, he can get you 8-9 rebounds a game, he's active on the floor, has a good 3-point percentage, and is a good passer. I'd take him in a heartbeat.

I get wanting Brogdan - he's got a great upside. But with Milwaukee, I really don't know what's going to happen. It's the team with most choices to make.
Yea, they do have a lot of choices. Mirotic probably isn't even being considered because of it and playing behind Giannis. Surely they can't afford to let Lopez slip away. He has added 3pt consistency and costs a mere 3.8mil currently for what he has done for them. Obviously Middleton has quite a bit of leverage to opt out. I've read many opinions about the Bucks being ok with flying above the luxury tax to retain the key cogs and even with a "return to run at a ring hometown discount", between Lopez, Brogdan and Middleton surely they will have to. It's interesting to watch unfold as we stand nearby potentially waiting to pick up what they can't hold on to.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY

Last edited by SMC0007; 05-09-2019 at 10:36 AM.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2019, 10:43 AM   #1002
Melonhead
Diamond Member

Melonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant future

I think we can throw out the idea of landing any Bucks players. Win or lose against the Raptors, they are very close to a title and arent going to let Middleton/Brogdon go for awhile. Mavs are only looking at Middleton anyway. I doubt they shoot for Mirotic/Lopez based on needs.
Old 05-09-2019, 11:05 AM   #1003
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Im still like 99% certain that Schwartz and the Mavs are scratching their backs here.

Mavs helping with the narrative that they are ready to throw big bucks at Middleton, so the Bucks throw out a big contract at 12:01am. And Schwartz steers Kemba to Dallas if he decides to leave Charlotte...

Last edited by sefant77; 05-09-2019 at 02:20 PM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 07:41 PM   #1004
JJP

JJP is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Mavs are only looking at Middleton anyway. I doubt they shoot for Mirotic/Lopez based on needs.
I'm not sure about that. The Mavs a need wing and they need another big man.

There are all sorts of possibilities with our unconventional lineup. Mirotic won't get max money. What if you could get Beverly and Mirotic? There's really several options once you get past the Durants, Walkers, and Leonards. I'm sure the Mavs are happy that they have position flexibility... but it might take a couple of more years to get it just right.
JJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:09 PM   #1005
AO41
Golden Member

AO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to behold

For some reason I thought about Leonard today and what the chances are if any that Mavs could be a player.

Brunson/ ??
Luka
Leonard
KP
??
Old 05-09-2019, 09:23 PM   #1006
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AO41 View Post
For some reason I thought about Leonard today and what the chances are if any that Mavs could be a player.

Brunson/ ??
Luka
Leonard
KP
??
I don't think we even get a chance to talk to him, but Kawhi would be right at the top of my list this summer.
Old 05-09-2019, 10:01 PM   #1007
BPo001
Platinum Member

BPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I don't think we even get a chance to talk to him, but Kawhi would be right at the top of my list this summer.
Agreed. I wonder if he considers staying if Toronto advances. Going to be a fun summer with a lot of big names potentially moving to shake up the the league a bit.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 11:28 PM   #1008
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Mavens were never in the Kawhi race
Old 05-09-2019, 11:36 PM   #1009
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Mavens were never in the Kawhi race
Old 05-10-2019, 03:25 AM   #1010
AO41
Golden Member

AO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to behold

It’s just an exciting time because I feel Mavs are more attractive to FAs than ever before and maybe just perhaps maybe we are due for a nice surprise like Leonard deciding that he doesn’t want to be King of the North and want back in Texas. But I agree it’s very likely that he stays with Toronto.

Last edited by AO41; 05-10-2019 at 03:26 AM.
AO41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 12:35 PM   #1011
Melonhead
Diamond Member

Melonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by AO41 View Post
Itís just an exciting time because I feel Mavs are more attractive to FAs than ever before and maybe just perhaps maybe we are due for a nice surprise like Leonard deciding that he doesnít want to be King of the North and want back in Texas. But I agree itís very likely that he stays with Toronto.
It is an exciting time but fans really gotta temper expectations as Dallas being a FA destination...YET. Mavs were 13th seed. I know what we have coming with KP but established FA stars are going to established teams, that can and have made playoffs recently.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:58 PM   #1012
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

Quote:
It is an exciting time but fans really gotta temper expectations as Dallas being a FA destination...YET. Mavs were 13th seed. I know what we have coming with KP but established FA stars are going to established teams, that can and have made playoffs recently.
This.

The hype train is building, but it hasn't built up that much steam.

Still, even the biggest player-generated hype train often fails to compare to the hype generated by venerable franchises like the Celtics, Knicks, Lakers, etc. We have a hyped rookie and a fifth-year player who was approaching stardom but who didn't even play for the entire last season.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kawhi didn't even pick up the phone to talk to any Texas team, instead calling the Lakers and Clippers-- and maybe the Knicks if Kyrie heads that way.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 05-10-2019 at 01:00 PM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 01:54 PM   #1013
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
This.

The hype train is building, but it hasn't built up that much steam.

Still, even the biggest player-generated hype train often fails to compare to the hype generated by venerable franchises like the Celtics, Knicks, Lakers, etc. We have a hyped rookie and a fifth-year player who was approaching stardom but who didn't even play for the entire last season.

I wouldn't be surprised if Kawhi didn't even pick up the phone to talk to any Texas team, instead calling the Lakers and Clippers-- and maybe the Knicks if Kyrie heads that way.
Not that I disagree with the idea that we aren't there yet, but neither are the Lakers or the lowly Knicks...Clippers perhaps but they have a ways to go to get out of their big brothers shadow in LA.

Old 05-10-2019, 03:49 PM   #1014
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Not that I disagree with the idea that we aren't there yet, but neither are the Lakers or the lowly Knicks...Clippers perhaps but they have a ways to go to get out of their big brothers shadow in LA.
Clippers are Los Angeles. Wonderful weather. 2nd biggest media market. Storied history. Clips also have a great core to build on.

Knicks are in Manhattan. Biggest media market in the US. Storied history (although haven't been good in 19 years and not great in 25)

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 05-10-2019 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 04:25 PM   #1015
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Clippers are Los Angeles. Wonderful weather. 2nd biggest media market. Storied history. Clips also have a great core to build on.

Knicks are in Manhattan. Biggest media market in the US. Storied history (although haven't been good in 19 years and not great in 25)
I know the LA/NY-based media loves to play up the concept, but I'd love to see a list of players who actually signed with a team because of their "storied history" -- hardware & scrilla are the only motivations in this league.

Last edited by Underdog; 05-10-2019 at 04:27 PM.
Underdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2019, 05:20 PM   #1016
JJP

I just watched an interview\round table on ESPN that included Patrick Beverley. Someone asked him about free agency and he said something like "I've never been a free agent before. I'm going to sit back enjoy it." There was more of the conversation with not much specific, but my take-away was that he's not a loyal soldier to LAC. He's in it for the biggest paycheck.

So my question is how much will it take to sign him? He's currently getting about 5 mil. a year.

edit: no sooner did I post this than an article discussing exactly this topic appeared on the smokingcuban

https://thesmokingcuban.com/2019/05/...rick-beverley/

Last edited by JJP; 05-10-2019 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:08 PM   #1017
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

Quote:
I just watched an interview\round table on ESPN that included Patrick Beverley. Someone asked him about free agency and he said something like "I've never been a free agent before. I'm going to sit back enjoy it." There was more of the conversation with not much specific, but my take-away was that he's not a loyal soldier to LAC. He's in it for the biggest paycheck.

So my question is how much will it take to sign him? He's currently getting about 5 mil. a year.
Loyalty is honestly dumb-- particularly for him. He's never been paid huge. 25mill total over his whole career. 4 years at the minimum and 4 years at the BAE.

Loyalty gets you stiffed.
Old 05-10-2019, 06:26 PM   #1018
SMC0007
Diamond Member

Quote:

They play indoors... and travel for the majority of the year. Offseason they probably travel a lot as well. LA and NY both have the worst traffic in the u.s. even getting to home games is a beatdown. As someone who has been around, I cant imagine the desire to be either place unless I can teleport to the arena.

Old 05-10-2019, 06:38 PM   #1019
JJP

Quote:
Loyalty is honestly dumb-- particularly for him. He's never been paid huge. 25mill total over his whole career. 4 years at the minimum and 4 years at the BAE.

Loyalty gets you stiffed.
Bad choice of words on my part. The SmokingCuban article suggests 8-9 mil a year with a three year contract.

The real question, I suppose, is will the LAC front office offer that. They can afford to do it, but will they?

Last edited by JJP; 05-10-2019 at 06:39 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 08:18 PM   #1020
SMC0007
Diamond Member

Quote:
Bad choice of words on my part. The SmokingCuban article suggests 8-9 mil a year with a three year contract.

The real question, I suppose, is will the LAC front office offer that. They can afford to do it, but will they?
I haven't looked at their caproom but If they land Kawhi then hell yes, they'd be foolish not to. Someone will pay that, add Kawhi and they're solid.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:19 PM   #1021
Underdog

If you're bored...

Should the Mavs bring back Tyson Chandler?
https://thesmokingcuban.com/2019/05/...yson-chandler/
Old 05-10-2019, 10:48 PM   #1022
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

This fucking offseason..
Old 05-10-2019, 11:12 PM   #1023
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If you're bored...

Should the Mavs bring back Tyson Chandler?
https://thesmokingcuban.com/2019/05/...yson-chandler/
Why not Rondo and Ellis while we're at it...
Old 05-11-2019, 02:24 PM   #1024
Underdog

Q&A: Patrick Beverley on close friend Derrick Rose and his first free agency
https://www.nba.com/article/2019/05/...trick-beverley

Quote:
NBA.com: Some people have linked you to Dallas. And then you sent out that tweet to Luka Doncic. What was that about?

Beverley: I saw him follow me (on social media) earlier. So Iím thinking the same thing. Iím just having fun with it, man. Itís a good time to be a free agent.

NBA.com: Could you see yourself having fun playing alongside a player like Luka?

Beverley: Of course. Heís ball dominant, makes the right plays. If that does come, it would be me, Luka, Tim Hardaway Jr., (Kristaps) Porzingis, Courtney Lee. Itís tough when you actually think about it. But Iím going to have fun with free agency man. I work hard. Iím gonna enjoy this process.
Old 05-11-2019, 02:42 PM   #1025
sefant77
Guru

After last night, its save to say that Klay is going to get the contract he wants with the Warriors. Owner pretty much said it too.

And Beverley is going after the biggest paycheck and nothing else (like Dedmon). 31 years old with 25m in career earning. This is going to be his first and last fat contract. I think he is seeking at least 4/40m somewhere. I think he is the Mavs backup plan after Kemba. And i think Beverley knows he can wait for teams who fail to sign Kemba/Irving to get a big contract.

Last edited by sefant77; 05-11-2019 at 02:49 PM.
Old 05-11-2019, 03:56 PM   #1026
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Q&A: Patrick Beverley on close friend Derrick Rose and his first free agency
https://www.nba.com/article/2019/05/...trick-beverley
No question Mavs go after him if they don't land bigger fish. And you can go back to Cuban's comments after the KP trade that described a player they need that fits his exact description.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 05-11-2019 at 06:36 PM.
DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:00 PM   #1027
sefant77
Guru

and back to another six weeks of boredom
Old 05-15-2019, 06:02 AM   #1028
JJP

This quick article describes the two teams with the worst luck in the NBA lottery.

It was worse for the other team.

https://hoopshype.com/2019/05/14/dra...las-mavericks/
Old 05-15-2019, 08:57 AM   #1029
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Terry Rozier is a name that popped up recently. He seems interesting
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:37 AM   #1030
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
Terry Rozier is a name that popped up recently. He seems interesting
I wouldn't complain about Brunson/Rozier at PG. Two guys who are decent at shooting and will be decent defensively. I'm not sure we need a lot more than that and seems like the right price. Honestly just need 3/D guys who can not be idiots at PG.

???/Powell/???
KP/???/???
Doncic/Jackson/Broekhoff/Lee
Hardaway/???
Brunson/Rozier

Grab a couple of PF/C tweeners who can rebound and defend. Maybe a SG who can shoot and we're good.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 05-15-2019 at 09:40 AM.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:47 AM   #1031
sefant77
Guru

Rozier is an undersized SG with terrible efficiency
Old 05-15-2019, 10:08 AM   #1032
sefant77
Guru

Finally...

Quote:
The NBA is expected to move up the start of its annual moratorium from midnight on July 1 to 6pm on June 30, sources told ESPN. The move will shift the league away from an antiquated system by allowing teams to start talking to players at a reasonable hour.
https://twitter.com/TimBontemps/stat...75766168956930
Old 05-15-2019, 12:51 PM   #1033
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Way better than staying up all night trying to figure out who goes where.
Old 05-15-2019, 01:06 PM   #1034
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Well the players can't sign anyway so why it was always midnight is mind boggling.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:46 PM   #1035
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Way better than staying up all night trying to figure out who goes where.
Yeah that was annoying
Old 05-15-2019, 03:37 PM   #1036
BPo001
Platinum Member

BPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant future

With Memphis landing #2 and presumably taking Morant I imagine Conley Jr is on the block. Dallas was interested in him, and we have a giant trade exception. I know he has a massive contract and he’s 31 years old, but just spit balling ideas. I assume another team can offer picks/youth players.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 04:16 PM   #1037
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
With Memphis landing #2 and presumably taking Morant I imagine Conley Jr is on the block. Dallas was interested in him, and we have a giant trade exception. I know he has a massive contract and heís 31 years old, but just spit balling ideas. I assume another team can offer picks/youth players.
liked the idea until I saw that contract.

67 million over the next two years? Dear god. That would be our only move this offseason, because it would gobble up all our cap space.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:28 PM   #1038
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

It's certainly not a terrible idea if we strike out on Walker, but I'm still not sold on another primary handling pg.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:39 PM   #1039
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
It's certainly not a terrible idea if we strike out on Walker, but I'm still not sold on another primary handling pg.
Brunson seems like a really good fit, too.

Dude makes good decisions and isn't ball dominant. He also seems like he has the tools to be a defensive player. I think that type of player is really what we need next to Doncic.

plus, he was 35% from three as a rookie (37% as a starter). While not amazing statistically, its certainly promising if he pushes it up a bit in his second season.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 05-15-2019 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:48 PM   #1040
MFFL
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
With Memphis landing #2 and presumably taking Morant I imagine Conley Jr is on the block. Dallas was interested in him, and we have a giant trade exception. I know he has a massive contract and heís 31 years old, but just spit balling ideas. I assume another team can offer picks/youth players.
We have a giant trade exception but it ain't THAT giant