Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: What will the result of the game be?
Mavs win by 20+ 0 0%
Mavs win by 10-19 0 0%
Mavs win by 1-9 3 75.00%
Mavs lose by 1-9 1 25.00%
Mavs lose by 10-19 0 0%
Mavs lose by 20+ 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-28-2020, 11:02 PM   #81
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
I'd trade some of our #1 ranked offense for some of that defense.
You and me both, but for some reason, the Mavs don't appear to agree with us.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-29-2020, 12:22 AM   #82
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
Well an attempt was made in bringing in Wright but his best attribute is a passing lane defender. He stays in front of his man on iso drives and doesn't often get lost on cuts. He's a better overall defender than the other guards we have but he lacks consistency.

WCS was brought here...or was he not hell, I can't remember.

MKG was always going to be a tiny role player. I don't think he will ever have enough offense to move the needle.

The defensive spacing is not good, the PnR slays us and it feels like we may hold a historic record of random opponents having career nights against us. Maybe they need to adjust the defensive "system".

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY

Last edited by SMC0007; 02-29-2020 at 12:23 AM.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 12:33 AM   #83
Dallas41

Dallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to all

Quote:
I think between me, you and SMC we are in the minority on here when it comes to small ball lineups and the defense end of the court for this team.

I mean they can throw out all the offensive #s all they want. It's all sexy doing the regular season kind of like James Harden but when you get to the playoffs your not beating anyone by trying to outgun them every game.

This team has always played it's best defense when they have been able to play two legit bigs together up front. Yes you sacrifice some defense but with Luka, KP and Hardaway that's still enough offense to allow you to generate points.

Playing just one big by himself just isn't good enough for this team because they lack perimeter defenders like a Milwaukee, Toronto or Clippers to make things happen when they go small. DFS should be at the 3 position not THJ and that causes a ripple down effect playing so many non defenders together.

Mavs are 4-16 vs playoff quality teams and I think their last win came vs Philadelphia like 2 months ago.

They are headed right smack towards a 1st round matchup with the Clippers and I hate to admit it but that is going be an ugly 1st round sweep (not sure how much playoff experience is to be had if you get swept and smoked)

Now Denver is tough also but at least you have a punchers chance to get out of that series without getting swept

I didn't even bother to post doing the game because venting my frustrations about this team defensively is pointless they are who they are at this point and nothing is going to change unless by some miracle RC sacrafices some offense and I'm not holding my breath on that to happen

Last edited by Dallas41; 02-29-2020 at 12:39 AM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 12:43 AM   #84
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
I think between me, you and SMC we are in the minority on here when it comes to small ball lineups and the defense end of the court for this team.

I mean they can throw out all the offensive #s all they want. It's all sexy doing the regular season kind of like James Harden but when you get to the playoffs your not beating anyone by trying to outgun them every game.

This team has always played it's best defense when they have been able to play two legit bigs together up front. Yes you sacrifice some defense but with Luka, KP and Hardaway that's still enough offense to allow you to generate points.

Playing just one big by himself just isn't good enough for this team between they lack perimeter defenders like a Milwaukee, Toronto or Clippers to make things happen defensively. DFS should be at the 3 position not THJ and that causes a ripple down effect playing so many non defenses together

Mavs are 4-16 vs playoff quality teams and I think their last win came vs Philadelphia like 2 months ago.

They are headed right smack towards a 1st round matchup with the Clippers and I hate to admit but that is going be an ugly 1st round sweep

Now Denver is tough also but at least you have a punchers chance to get out of that series without getting swept

I didn't even bother to post doing the game because venting my frustrations about this team defensively is pointless they are who they are at this point and nothing is going to change unless by some miracle RC sacrafices some offense and I'm not holding my breath on that to happen
Agree 100%. I'm posting less and less during the game, which is probably a great relief for the majority of posters. :-O The only reason I was a little frustrated with the end of this game was because of the last game. RC played both KP and Kleber and went to a 1-2-2 zone at the end, and the Mavs were able to finally put an end to the choking and pull out a victory instead of giving yet another win away. I thought for sure that the coaches might have been at least interested in trying it again, but I should've known better. I'm still going to follow and root for the Mavs, but they are quickly become Cowboyesque in that, while super fun and very entertaining at times, are not worth the emotional investment - for me at least. They are one of the most incredibly frustrating teams that I have watched in the last 15 years. :-( But hey, they are ahead of schedule. :-O

Last edited by turin; 02-29-2020 at 12:45 AM.
Old 02-29-2020, 01:17 AM   #85
Dallas41

Dallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Miami is shooting just under 50% from 3 this game. I donít think thatís a good strategy. I really donít think the refs have screwed the Mavs this game, so Iím not sure why that was brought up.
They didn't

It just that fans will follow Cuban's lead.

When the owner goes on a rant in a unprofessional way it trickles down to the players and fans.

Now every game you'll see some fans thinking mavs are getting unfair treatment and the refs are costing us games.

But in reality the lack of defense is the true culprit

This team can't get any key stops and that has nothing to do with the refs.
Old 02-29-2020, 01:33 AM   #86
Dallas41

Quote:
Well an attempt was made in bringing in Wright but his best attribute is a passing lane defender. He stays in front of his man on iso drives and doesn't often get lost on cuts. He's a better overall defender than the other guards we have but he lacks consistency.

WCS was brought here...or was he not hell, I can't remember.

MKG was always going to be a tiny role player. I don't think he will ever have enough offense to move the needle.

The defensive spacing is not good, the PnR slays us and it feels like we may hold a historic record of random opponents having career nights against us. Maybe they need to adjust the defensive "system".
Honestly every since D.Casey left this team seems to have no one that installs a defensive system or gameplan

I'm actually baffled that the mavs rank like 18th defensively when they actually have a few guys that can legitimately play defense in KP, Kleber, WCS, DFS. Wright and MKG.

Now granted two of those guys have been late additions but you would think once all of them are available to play the mavs would have solid defensive flexibility within their lineups

But the DNA of this team is to go all out offensively so they won't risk sacrificing any points just to get defensive stops.

You will often see late in games a lot of playoff quality teams will throw out a situational defensive lineup to get a stop and then go back to offensive change when they need a bucket

But the mavs will stay vanilla and they will force guys like THJ, Curry, Brunson, Luka or JJB to stay on the floor even if they are at a disadvantage defensively.

Like seriously it's not uncommon to see someone like THJ on LeBron or Curry on K.leonard in a late game situation for the mavs.

Last edited by Dallas41; 02-29-2020 at 01:34 AM.
Old 02-29-2020, 12:02 PM   #87
Dallas41

Had to go back and watch this game a 2nd time and I'm not sure if this stands out to anyone else but the lineup that has luka, THJ and Curry all on the floor together looks good on paper because offensively they are 3 of our best shooters.

But if you stop and just focus on defense that trio can't defend anyone. I'm a huge curry fan but you got to have defenders out there with him. In fact if I'm being honest to a certain extent you got to try and hide all three of them defensively on lesser offensive players but how do you accomplish that when all 3 are on the floor together?

DFS can't cover for everyone so the mavs need that one extra defender on the floor to balance things out. The only two guys that make sense is Wright and MKG to play that D.Stevenson role while DFS plays the Marion role. These guys are not as talented as those two but they give you similar flexibility to help balance out your lineups.

As it stands right now we simply aren't going to out-gun the good teams like we do the Kings, T-Wolves, Warriors or Suns. That has been the mavs biggest issues when facing quality playoff teams they can never truly get any stops especially in the crucial 4th qtrs.

An extra ball handler or shooter on the floor ain't solving those problems unless that guy can also play both ends of the floor and honestly Brunson and Barrea don't fit that bill either.

Rick could do a better job trying to mix things up by playing zone and throwing a curve ball at teams. Some people will say a zone doesnt work vs good shooting teams but it depends on the time you use it strategically

Anyone else remember Atlanta waiting til that 4th qtr to throw a 1-2-2 zone at our Mavs who were knocking down 3's vs them earlier.....

The Mavs didn't have time to adjust to it in the limited time atlanta used it and offensively if got the mavs out of synch.
Old 02-29-2020, 12:15 PM   #88
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

hayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant future

Geez. I get the disappointment but considering where we have been the past few years, and the fact that no one here expects us to be a top 8 team yet, we should just enjoy the good that this squad brings. The future is bright.
hayth.james.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 02:12 PM   #89
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
They didn't

When the owner goes on a rant in a unprofessional way it trickles down to the players and fans.

Now every game you'll see some fans thinking mavs are getting unfair treatment and the refs are costing us games.

Plenty of fans (people with eyes) that have a problem with the refs lately, have this opinion on their own, and itís got nothing to do with Cuban. Cubanís opinion on this does not effect mine, other than my worry that he may be making this worse. I also wouldnít blame the loss last night on the refs, but your simplistic diagnoses and solutions arenít any more brilliant.
Old 02-29-2020, 02:26 PM   #90
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
They didn't

Show me a fan that thinks NBA refs are good at their job, and I'll give you a penny.

And you certainly didn't watch this game if you thought the Refs were anything but terrible...again.
Old 02-29-2020, 05:32 PM   #91
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayth.james.g View Post
Geez. I get the disappointment but considering where we have been the past few years, and the fact that no one here expects us to be a top 8 team yet, we should just enjoy the good that this squad brings. The future is bright.
With All due resepct. NO. NO. And NO!

That's a weak minded outlook. The players don't feel that way and neither do the coaches. That's something you can talk about and rationalize After the season is over. Right now you play to win as many as possible and make no excuses.

Old 02-29-2020, 05:42 PM   #92
SMC0007
Diamond Member

Quote:
Had to go back and watch this game a 2nd time and I'm not sure if this stands out to anyone else but the lineup that has luka, THJ and Curry all on the floor together looks good on paper because offensively they are 3 of our best shooters.

But if you stop and just focus on defense that trio can't defend anyone. I'm a huge curry fan but you got to have defenders out there with him. In fact if I'm being honest to a certain extent you got to try and hide all three of them defensively on lesser offensive players but how do you accomplish that when all 3 are on the floor together?

DFS can't cover for everyone so the mavs need that one extra defender on the floor to balance things out. The only two guys that make sense is Wright and MKG to play that D.Stevenson role while DFS plays the Marion role. These guys are not as talented as those two but they give you similar flexibility to help balance out your lineups.

As it stands right now we simply aren't going to out-gun the good teams like we do the Kings, T-Wolves, Warriors or Suns. That has been the mavs biggest issues when facing quality playoff teams they can never truly get any stops especially in the crucial 4th qtrs.

An extra ball handler or shooter on the floor ain't solving those problems unless that guy can also play both ends of the floor and honestly Brunson and Barrea don't fit that bill either.

Rick could do a better job trying to mix things up by playing zone and throwing a curve ball at teams. Some people will say a zone doesnt work vs good shooting teams but it depends on the time you use it strategically

Anyone else remember Atlanta waiting til that 4th qtr to throw a 1-2-2 zone at our Mavs who were knocking down 3's vs them earlier.....

The Mavs didn't have time to adjust to it in the limited time atlanta used it and offensively if got the mavs out of synch.
Very much this regarding especially Curry, but our guards in general.

We need more 2 way guards and there is no substitution for that. It's painfully obvious. Its also why a handful of us are constantly concerned with only 1 big on the floor at a time. Seems like the only way to keep guards from slaying us wether it's ISO or PnR is to have some rim protection and length from the help side. IDGAF about the switch and mismatch iso 3 attempts.
It's cool to have good offense but we get little stops and other teams go on lengthy runs and often in crunch time.

Last edited by SMC0007; 02-29-2020 at 05:45 PM.
Old 02-29-2020, 06:24 PM   #93
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

@TravisRW: I think we’re seeing the ripple effect of Dwight’s injury + forcing Seth to start + JB’s injury. A great bench has become a pretty subpar one.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 07:36 PM   #94
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

hayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant futurehayth.james.g has a brilliant future

Quote:

That's a weak minded outlook. The players don't feel that way and neither do the coaches. That's something you can talk about and rationalize After the season is over. Right now you play to win as many as possible and make no excuses.
Iím not saying they should not try to win. Iím saying your expectations should align to reality. Then maybe you will enjoy the amazing season we are having and bright future. Instead, we got people talking about not watching games because of x,y, and z. Who is weak? The person who is looking at the positive and enjoying the journey or the guy who gets so upset by losses by a team lead by two <25 players that he canít watch games.
hayth.james.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2020, 08:17 PM   #95
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
@TravisRW: I think weíre seeing the ripple effect of Dwightís injury + forcing Seth to start + JBís injury. A great bench has become a pretty subpar one.
The defining choice for next season is Powell. Will the FO delude themselves like they did with Matthews and keep Powell in the same role? Or will they try hard to find a starting 4 next to KP...
Old 02-29-2020, 09:17 PM   #96
SMC0007
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
@TravisRW: I think weíre seeing the ripple effect of Dwightís injury + forcing Seth to start + JBís injury. A great bench has become a pretty subpar one.
Meh. I don't buy that. It's reluctance to play the guy they traded for. I say that even though he has been out for a few games recently. Rick is going for more offense instead of defense and Seth is definitely providing that but at a large defensive cost. If you take your most productive bench guy and start him it's clearly going to effect the bench scoring. I didn't think it would be as dramatic as last night though.

Old 02-29-2020, 09:25 PM   #97
SMC0007
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayth.james.g View Post
Iím not saying they should not try to win. Iím saying your expectations should align to reality. Then maybe you will enjoy the amazing season we are having and bright future. Instead, we got people talking about not watching games because of x,y, and z. Who is weak? The person who is looking at the positive and enjoying the journey or the guy who gets so upset by losses by a team lead by two <25 players that he canít watch games.
No I agree with that part. Turin is clearly frustrated by the double digit games we have given away. I understand it but i can't go that far.

I don't put it all on the players and the fact that our Stars are under 25. Coach decisions have played part in them too and he has eaten responsibility at least 5 of them.

I know what you mean and if it were up to me no one would say they aren't watching and no one would say that we should be happy with where we are.

Old 02-29-2020, 09:27 PM   #98
SMC0007
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
The defining choice for next season is Powell. Will the FO delude themselves like they did with Matthews and keep Powell in the same role? Or will they try hard to find a starting 4 next to KP...
Powell would be great off the bench but I think it would be a wasted offseason to not upgrade the starting 4 or 5.

Old 03-01-2020, 01:42 AM   #99
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Meh. I don't buy that. It's reluctance to play the guy they traded for.
Can't blame anyone for him not playing - he's obviously dealing with something
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 04:44 AM   #100
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Luka Doncic is a Dallas Maverick, and Rick Carlisle is his coach. Stop crying, bitches.
Old 03-01-2020, 09:00 AM   #101
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
Luka Doncic is a Dallas Maverick, and Rick Carlisle is his coach. Stop crying, bitches.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to FreshJive again.
Old 03-01-2020, 12:29 PM   #102
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And we have KP locked up

Last edited by sefant77; 03-01-2020 at 12:29 PM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 02:00 PM   #103
FreshJive
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
And we have KP locked up
This too.
Old 03-02-2020, 03:20 PM   #104
particleman

particleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud of

Quote:
we should just enjoy the good that this squad brings. The future is bright
Quote:

It's clear that there's a very strong divide on this board between those of us who want to enjoy basketball and those of us who feel that enjoyment is for weak minded fools.
particleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 03:23 PM   #105
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by particleman View Post
It's clear that there's a very strong divide on this board between those of us who want to enjoy basketball and those of us who feel that enjoyment is for weak minded fools.
Preach.

Some people see a young team growing and look at what they fail at.

Some of us see a talented young team and see a promising future and enjoy the good moments.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:13 PM   #106
MFFL
Guru

I love this team and enjoy it greatly

I also know we have some major shortcomings but WHO CARES. We are finally winning more than we are losing and it's wonderful

We might get swept in the first round but again WHO CARES. We are at least a year ahead of schedule. Its going to take time to finish fleshing out the roster - remember we traded away most of the old roster last year and now the team needs talent. And that takes time

And for all the shots at Carlisle, remember this. He's one of only SIX active head coaches who have won a championship (and Pop is probably retiring)
Old 03-02-2020, 06:24 PM   #107
FreshJive
Diamond Member

Quote:
Everyone has different ways of being a fan, but we all enjoy it, or we wouldnít watch or post in a Mavs forum. SMC is a good poster. Dallas41 hates Rick, and Turin is the worlds biggest Boban fan, but I donít think they are trolls. They enjoy watching the games.
Old 03-02-2020, 06:57 PM   #108
turin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Preach.

Some of us see a talented young team and see a promising future and enjoy the good moments.
And some of us see a very talented young team that continues to shoot itself in the foot by repeatedly making the same mistakes over and over again. The mistakes have not been corrected, and the results have remained the same - giving away winnable games (9-11 and counting). Eventually, even those wearing the most rosy colored glasses will tire of the "young" excuse. The Mavs are not a team full of rookies, so the "young" excuse doesn't fly with me. They are more veteran than young.

Last edited by turin; 03-02-2020 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-02-2020, 07:05 PM   #109
MFFL
Guru

Quote:
The Mavs are not a team full of rookies, so the "young" excuse doesn't fly with me. They are more veteran than young.
The veterans would be a 30 win team

The young players are Luka who certainly needs to learn how to win in the NBA and KP who was a Knick so he obviously doesn't know how to win

Next year is the year to freak out if we can't close out those close games
Old 03-02-2020, 08:42 PM   #110
SMC0007
Diamond Member

Quote:
Quote:
Preach.

Ok in fairness, maybe that post read more harsh than I meant it.

The team, coach and MBT don't take that outlook, at least not now, so why should anyone else? If I didn't think we were minimally 8 games better and maximizing our roster/rotations I would focus more on the positive and settle for this seasons improvement.

I am super happy that this team is better than last year. I just don't think it's worth my time to remind anyone who has constructive criticism of the obvious, or try to stifle their idea of the team needs... Unless their idea sucks!

Old 03-02-2020, 08:45 PM   #111
SMC0007
Diamond Member

Quote:
Preach.

Who is looking at what young players fail at?

Old 03-02-2020, 10:03 PM   #112
MFFL
Guru

Quote:
The Mavs are not a team full of rookies, so the "young" excuse doesn't fly with me. They are more veteran than young.
Tonight is what the team looks like with our "veterans"

Subtract Luka and KP this is a terrible team. Who cares if we have veterans? The Knicks have some veterans too and they are terrible
Old 03-02-2020, 11:54 PM   #113
Dallas41

Quote:
Everyone has different ways of being a fan, but we all enjoy it, or we wouldnít watch or post in a Mavs forum. SMC is a good poster. Dallas41 hates Rick, and Turin is the worlds biggest Boban fan, but I donít think they are trolls. They enjoy watching the games.
Lol

Let me clear some things up here

Hate is a strong word....

I don't hate Rick.....I get really upset with Rick's stubbornness to live and die with small lineups or lack of defensive changes

I think Rick is a top 10 coach....I know a lot of fans view him as top 3.

I used to feel that way about Rick 5 years ago but I think there are a few coaches now who can hold their own vs Rick in terms of adjustments and getting the most out of their players

Malone
Spoelstra
Donovan
Nurse
Budenholzer
Cook
Stevens
Stotts
Popovich
Rivers