Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 01-30-2020, 10:53 AM   #1441
Dallas41
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 615
Dallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to all
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukaMagic View Post
Longish video but worth watching.
A very sound analysis.
Helps explain some of our problems in the clutch and with a clear prescription on how we should improve.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jLCQVrb4Yg

Also, RC must be aware of this and is probably the reason he likes to play JJ with Luka occasionally. Luka's perfect partner would be something of a two-way, creative player. Can handle but can also let go of the ball. Like Delon Wright, but with an offense that matches the defense.
A couple of things

I disagree that luka is a bad off the ball player. I believe he just zones out more when he's not handling the rock.

Playing off ball doesn't just mean catch and shoot plays.

You could use luka in post up plays more, you could use him as a back door cutter or coming off double screens

I believe Wright and Curry are capable ball handlers their usage just isnt as high because of luka being primary ball handler.

Also as he pointed out which I've stated my opinion many times on here. The mavs would be better in the clutch if RC called more set plays and less luka pounding the rock.

I don't know how this has gone on for so long. It's easy to stop the mavs when one guy is dribbling an entire possession and everyone else is just standing around

I think it was you who posted that quote from S.Curry about the mavs being too predictable

The coach has to change this up not the players.

I'm shock that a guy on YouTube can see that the mavs don't truly run any set plays in the clutch. I used to feel as if RC always put Dirk in a prime position to win games late by running awesome set plays

That has not been the case this year with luka and most importantly KP who I believe is being used way too much as a stationary player.

Last edited by Dallas41; 01-30-2020 at 10:56 AM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-30-2020, 07:50 PM   #1442
LukaMagic
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 345
LukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to all
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerLeft View Post
I think the one thing the front office tried this summer that didn't work out as well as they thought it would is Wright. Yes, he's as good as advertised on defense, maybe better. But, while he's not totally useless on offense, he is extremely prone to making poor decisions with the ball - so much so that he can't really be played as much as I'm sure they hoped.
Yes. I agree. I think the optimistic scenario for Delon is that he could be something of that player in a few years as I am sure his offense will improve rather tremendously with age and experience. I just feel he mostly lacks confidence and experience (and confidence kinda comes from experience) when he creates.
LukaMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:03 PM   #1443
Underdog
Moderator
 
Underdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 41.21.1
Posts: 36,142
Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukaMagic View Post
Yes. I agree. I think the optimistic scenario for Delon is that he could be something of that player in a few years as I am sure his offense will improve rather tremendously with age and experience. I just feel he mostly lacks confidence and experience (and confidence kinda comes from experience) when he creates.
This is a solid point, and a big reason why this young team is struggling in certain situations (beyond just Wright).
__________________

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 08:44 PM   #1444
LukaMagic
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 345
LukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to all
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
A couple of things

I disagree that luka is a bad off the ball player. I believe he just zones out more when he's not handling the rock.

Playing off ball doesn't just mean catch and shoot plays.

You could use luka in post up plays more, you could use him as a back door cutter or coming off double screens
I disagree too. Luka is fundamentally sound, and I am sure he can execute off the ball. But it is a part mentality thing (hard to change your ways) and part lack of solid alternatives to carry offense especially in the clutch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
I believe Wright and Curry are capable ball handlers their usage just isnt as high because of luka being primary ball handler.
Yes, but I feel there are limitations to both so it is maybe not so simple. Curry seems a bit more comfortable with the ball but is a little too small and light, and easy to be taken off his game which is probably why he's been so inconsistent. Catch and shoot is basically his bread and butter, but occasionally he can get in the zone and get into serious production. But that has been very sporadic. And Wright is just not there yet. He can carry an offense ccasionally, typically against lesser teams and in non-clutch situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
Also as he pointed out which I've stated my opinion many times on here. The mavs would be better in the clutch if RC called more set plays and less luka pounding the rock.

I don't know how this has gone on for so long. It's easy to stop the mavs when one guy is dribbling an entire possession and everyone else is just standing around

I think it was you who posted that quote from S.Curry about the mavs being too predictable

The coach has to change this up not the players.

I'm shock that a guy on YouTube can see that the mavs don't truly run any set plays in the clutch. I used to feel as if RC always put Dirk in a prime position to win games late by running awesome set plays

That has not been the case this year with luka and most importantly KP who I believe is being used way too much as a stationary player.
I think this has gone on for so long because there are no obvious high-percentage alternatives you can count on. KP is not there yet, and as I mentioned above, there are serious limitations with Curry and Wright. I think there has been some progress with KP in particular over the last month or so, with some post-up plays, but this is going to be a slow process with him. If RC figured out how to exploit Dirk through set plays, then I'm sure he'll figure out what the prime positions for KP are. By the looks of it right now, KP ain't no Dirk (but that's maybe too harsh to say given his injury, switch to a new team, learning a new system). In time I feel he could possibly get there.

Last edited by LukaMagic; 01-30-2020 at 10:28 PM.
LukaMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 10:10 PM   #1445
KillerLeft
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 376
KillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud of
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
The coach has to change this up not the players.

I'm shock that a guy on YouTube can see that the mavs don't truly run any set plays in the clutch. I used to feel as if RC always put Dirk in a prime position to win games late by running awesome set plays

That has not been the case this year with luka and most importantly KP who I believe is being used way too much as a stationary player.
So your opinion is that the coach who used to put Dirk in position to achieve late in games has somehow forgotten how to do that, and that the young, untested group of players play absolutely no factor in this at all? You think Carlisle is intentionally denying them the structure they need to execute late in games, and you don't think he's seeing anything in practice that makes him feel like the current approach gives them the best chance to win (right now)?

I just want to make sure I'm following you.

Last edited by KillerLeft; 01-30-2020 at 10:13 PM.
KillerLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 01:14 PM   #1446
dirt_dobber
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Bee Cave, Texas
Posts: 2,876
dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute
Default

This is from Nick Angstadt@NickVanExit
Maxi Kleber & Dorian Finney Smith combined cost*
19-20: $12.0 mil
20-21: $12.25 mil
21-22: $12.75 mil- Nearly elite defenders
- Highly switchable
- Shooting nearly 39% from 3P on 4 attempts per game
- Can drive on closeouts
- Hard working, no-nonsense
- Few mistakes
- Fearless
- Rotation players you could play in a Finals series
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 01:33 PM   #1447
Underdog
Moderator
 
Underdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 41.21.1
Posts: 36,142
Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_dobber View Post
This is from Nick Angstadt@NickVanExit
Maxi Kleber & Dorian Finney Smith combined cost*
19-20: $12.0 mil
20-21: $12.25 mil
21-22: $12.75 mil- Nearly elite defenders
- Highly switchable
- Shooting nearly 39% from 3P on 4 attempts per game
- Can drive on closeouts
- Hard working, no-nonsense
- Few mistakes
- Fearless
- Rotation players you could play in a Finals series
Nice asset management by the MBT.
__________________

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 03:06 PM   #1448
dirt_dobber
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Bee Cave, Texas
Posts: 2,876
dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Nice asset management by the MBT.
totally agree. Both un-drafted quality pieces provide nice depth.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 12:18 PM   #1449
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 17,983
DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Our boy Joshi posted some sobering stats about Jackson and Delon...

https://twitter.com/j0Shi_f/status/1226186763611385857

Hopefully we can move on from them in the offseason if they don't show any signs of improvement. I do really like Delon, but he just doesn't fit at all. He and Jackson actually suffer from the same thing. They are jacks of all trades types that don't do any specific thing well enough. And Jackson not hitting threes anymore has tanked his value.
__________________
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 12:44 PM   #1450
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 17,983
DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Woj: Charlotte to buyout MKG and Dallas emerging as a prime suitor.
__________________
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 12:55 PM   #1451
Melonhead
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 6,924
Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Our boy Joshi posted some sobering stats about Jackson and Delon...

https://twitter.com/j0Shi_f/status/1226186763611385857

Hopefully we can move on from them in the offseason if they don't show any signs of improvement. I do really like Delon, but he just doesn't fit at all. He and Jackson actually suffer from the same thing. They are jacks of all trades types that don't do any specific thing well enough. And Jackson not hitting threes anymore has tanked his value.
I was really wrong about both. At least for this season. Thought one of those were to be a solid starter for the team.
__________________
Melonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 01:27 PM   #1452
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope
 
EricaLubarsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 32,659
EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Woj: Charlotte to buyout MKG and Dallas emerging as a prime suitor.
Waive who? Lee who is shooting 60% from three?
__________________
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 01:41 PM   #1453
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 17,983
DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Waive who? Lee who is shooting 60% from three?
Joshi and I are discussing this on twitter. Broek, JJ, or Lee are your prime choices, but I'm guessing Lee.

I'd maybe add in Barea as well.
__________________
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 01:43 PM   #1454
Underdog
Moderator
 
Underdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 41.21.1
Posts: 36,142
Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Woj: Charlotte to buyout MKG and Dallas emerging as a prime suitor.
Another lotto bust to kick the tires on? Sure, why not? It’s not like Charlotte knows how to develop guys, maybe RC can turn him around.
__________________

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 01:44 PM   #1455
Underdog
Moderator
 
Underdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 41.21.1
Posts: 36,142
Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Waive who? Lee who is shooting 60% from three?
Lee seems like the most likely candidate, wouldn’t be surprised if Rick started him last night just to do the guy a solid and showcase him before getting waived.
__________________

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 02:06 PM   #1456
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 17,983
DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute
Default

MKG just needs to be better than JJ. Not a major feat there...
__________________
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 02:29 PM   #1457
Dallas41
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 615
Dallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to all
Default

MKG is a solid defender but having said that even on a team devoid of perimeter defenders he won't get any minutes so why bother signing him.

Lee will probably be the guy who gets the axe but you can make an argument that he shouldn't have been on this team after the trade deadline anyway

Should have been sent packing in a package deal with Jackson somewhere

Really upsets me that guys like Morris were moved for similar peanuts as Lee and Jackson

Last edited by Dallas41; 02-08-2020 at 02:31 PM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 02:42 PM   #1458
tap2390
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Enemy territory (SA)
Posts: 1,862
tap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant future
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
MKG is a solid defender but having said that even on a team devoid of perimeter defenders he won't get any minutes so why bother signing him.

Lee will probably be the guy who gets the axe but you can make an argument that he shouldn't have been on this team after the trade deadline anyway

Should have been sent packing in a package deal with Jackson somewhere

Really upsets me that guys like Morris were moved for similar peanuts as Lee and Jackson



Dude, if you’re going to whine at least be accurate.

Knicks acquired LA’s 2020 first-round draft pick, Moe Harkless, the right to swap first-round picks with the Clippers in 2021, Detroit’s second-round pick (via the Clippers) in 2021, and the draft rights to point guard Issuf Sanon for Morris.
__________________
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 03:33 PM   #1459
Dallas41
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 615
Dallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to all
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Dude, if you’re going to whine at least be accurate.

Knicks acquired LA’s 2020 first-round draft pick, Moe Harkless, the right to swap first-round picks with the Clippers in 2021, Detroit’s second-round pick (via the Clippers) in 2021, and the draft rights to point guard Issuf Sanon for Morris.
Knicks get:Maurice Harkless, Issuf Sanon, Clippers' 2020 first-round pick and 2021 second-round pick (via Detroit)

Ummm not sure where you are getting two 1st round picks from and that 2020 pick they did land is probably going to be 2-3 spots at best over the mavs 2nd round pick claimed from the warriors so it's pretty much like a late 1st round pick that was really the only true value in that trade not harkless or Sanon and unless the clippers fall apart I'm going to assume they won't be swapping draft positions in 2021which makes that part of deal obsolete

I'm pretty sure if the mavs wanted they could have offered a little better package then the actual fruits of the deal but it's irrevelant because I'm not sure Morris was really a target by the mavs

I was just pointing out my jealousy of the clippers getting a quality wing for peanuts

I personally would have made a run at Gordon and seen if Orlando would bite
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 12:11 AM   #1460
KillerLeft
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 376
KillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud of
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post

I personally would have made a run at Gordon and seen if Orlando would bite
For all we know, they did.

They've completely transformed the team into something worth following after like 6 years of making the dumbest decisions possible. Maybe we should relax and let them work.
KillerLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 09:12 AM   #1461
tap2390
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Enemy territory (SA)
Posts: 1,862
tap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant future
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
Knicks get:Maurice Harkless, Issuf Sanon, Clippers' 2020 first-round pick and 2021 second-round pick (via Detroit)

Ummm not sure where you are getting two 1st round picks from and that 2020 pick they did land is probably going to be 2-3 spots at best over the mavs 2nd round pick claimed from the warriors so it's pretty much like a late 1st round pick that was really the only true value in that trade not harkless or Sanon and unless the clippers fall apart I'm going to assume they won't be swapping draft positions in 2021which makes that part of deal obsolete

I'm pretty sure if the mavs wanted they could have offered a little better package then the actual fruits of the deal but it's irrevelant because I'm not sure Morris was really a target by the mavs

I was just pointing out my jealousy of the clippers getting a quality wing for peanuts

I personally would have made a run at Gordon and seen if Orlando would bite

Dude, the point is they got:

Moe Harkless --> an expiring salary, native New Yorker, and great defender, he was starting for the Clips

LAC's 2020 first round pick --> even if it's the last pick of the round it's better than any pick we could offer because we can't trade our 2020 first

DET's 2021 second round pick --> this will likely be a top-40 pick



So if you're going to say the Mavs could've put together a better deal (they couldn't have) or that Morris went for peanuts (he didn't) you should offer up a viable deal.
__________________
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:26 PM   #1462
Dallas41
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 615
Dallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to all
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Dude, the point is they got:

Moe Harkless --> an expiring salary, native New Yorker, and great defender, he was starting for the Clips

LAC's 2020 first round pick --> even if it's the last pick of the round it's better than any pick we could offer because we can't trade our 2020 first

DET's 2021 second round pick --> this will likely be a top-40 pick



So if you're going to say the Mavs could've put together a better deal (they couldn't have) or that Morris went for peanuts (he didn't) you should offer up a viable deal.
Since when did harkless become a great defender?

Did you watch any clippers games?

His value was the matching salary and expiring contract let's not get it twisted

Mavs unlike the clippers aren't in win now mode so they so they most likely wouldn't have been inclined to give up much beyond Lee & this years 2nd which is being treated like a late round 1st pretty similar to their stance on Iggy

But to say they couldn't have come up with a better deal is a personal opinion. I'm sure the Knicks who need a PG
Would have took Brunson if the mavs really wanted to get a deal done like that done.

Lee + Brunson and this years 2nd trumps that deal but that's just my personal opinion just like you have a personal opinion

Neither of us are gms so we don't know what the Knicks would have thought

Last edited by Dallas41; 02-09-2020 at 02:32 PM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 02:34 PM   #1463
Underdog
Moderator
 
Underdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 41.21.1
Posts: 36,142
Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
Since when did harkless become a great defender?

Did you watch any clippers games?

His value was the matching salary and expiring contract let's not get it twisted

Mavs unlike the clippers aren't in win now mode so they probably wouldn't have been included to give up much beyond Lee & this years 2nd which is being treated like a late round 1st

To say they couldn't come up with a better deal is personal opinion I'm sure the Knicks who need a PG
Would have took Brunson if the mavs really wanted to get a deal done

Lee + Brunson and this years 2nd trumps that deal but that's just my personal opinion just like you have a personal opinion

Neither of us are gms so we don't know what the Knicks would have thought
You can’t give up Brunson while Luka is injured — Barea can’t play heavy minutes and neither Wright nor Curry are running our offense.. You’re cutting off your nose to spite your face just to add a big right after we added WCS... You have the right to your opinion, but you’d also make a horrible GM.
__________________

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-09-2020 at 02:36 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 03:13 PM   #1464
tap2390
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Enemy territory (SA)
Posts: 1,862
tap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant future
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
Since when did harkless become a great defender?

Did you watch any clippers games?

His value was the matching salary and expiring contract let's not get it twisted

Mavs unlike the clippers aren't in win now mode so they so they most likely wouldn't have been inclined to give up much beyond Lee & this years 2nd which is being treated like a late round 1st pretty similar to their stance on Iggy

But to say they couldn't have come up with a better deal is a personal opinion. I'm sure the Knicks who need a PG
Would have took Brunson if the mavs really wanted to get a deal done like that done.

Lee + Brunson and this years 2nd trumps that deal but that's just my personal opinion just like you have a personal opinion

Neither of us are gms so we don't know what the Knicks would have thought



So you want to give up:

-Brunson (who we have under contract at under $2 million for two seasons after this season)

-a top 35 pick this offseason who similarly will be controlled on a cheap contract for 2/3 seasons

-an expiring contract


for a half-season rental of Marcus Morris...

__________________
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 03:56 PM   #1465
MFFL
Guru
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 11,962
MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
So you want to give up:

-Brunson (who we have under contract at under $2 million for two seasons after this season)

-a top 35 pick this offseason who similarly will be controlled on a cheap contract for 2/3 seasons

-an expiring contract


for a half-season rental of Marcus Morris...

And the fact that we probably won't get out the second round with or without Morris

That's why I didn't want to trade for Iggy
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:14 PM   #1466
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope
 
EricaLubarsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 32,659
EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Man, sometimes the Mavs FO is frustrating, but I'm so glad they didnt trade for either Iggy or Morris. A team that is asset-poor would be idiotic to trade what assets they had left for guys who don't move the needle, just so they could claim that they got some talent.
__________________
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 04:27 PM   #1467
Underdog
Moderator
 
Underdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 41.21.1
Posts: 36,142
Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Man, sometimes the Mavs FO is frustrating, but I'm so glad they didnt trade for either Iggy or Morris. A team that is asset-poor would be idiotic to trade what assets they had left for guys who don't move the needle, just so they could claim that they got some talent.
Yeah, they totally make sense for the Clips and Heat, who are both in win-now situations, but there’s no reason for a team in our position to give up assets to add guys like Morris or Iggy. If the price is Lee, then sure — but giving up a pick or young guy on a cheap contract that extends beyond this year for a half-season rental would be a fireable offense... Sure, we’d improve, but you have to look beyond just what’s in front of you. It’s a game of chess, not tic-tac-toe.
__________________

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-09-2020 at 04:34 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 06:03 PM   #1468
Dallas41
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 615
Dallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to all
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
You can’t give up Brunson while Luka is injured — Barea can’t play heavy minutes and neither Wright nor Curry are running our offense.. You’re cutting off your nose to spite your face just to add a big right after we added WCS... You have the right to your opinion, but you’d also make a horrible GM.
1st off he stated that the mavs couldn't beat the clippers deal

I countered by showing him a deal that as I stated IF the mavs wanted to Lee who matches harkless expiring contract, Brunson matches the clippers late round 1st pick and the Mavs 2nd round pick this year matches the clippers 2nd round next year

Now having said that if you took the time to read my response I also specifically stated that the mavs unlike the clippers were not in WIN NOW MODE which you obviously don't give up Brunson from their negotiating stance.

But that is a deal that trumps the clippers deal in term of value.

And for the record I'm not as high on Brunson as most because I think guys like him are a dime a dozen in the NBA easily replaceable.

But I understand the mavs point of view because they value Brunson a lot higher.

I just don't but that's my personal opinion of him which I'm intitled to have no one has to agree with it jeez it's a sports opinion board

Last edited by Dallas41; 02-09-2020 at 06:13 PM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 07:32 PM   #1469
Underdog
Moderator
 
Underdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 41.21.1
Posts: 36,142
Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
1st off he stated that the mavs couldn't beat the clippers deal

I countered by showing him a deal that as I stated IF the mavs wanted to Lee who matches harkless expiring contract, Brunson matches the clippers late round 1st pick and the Mavs 2nd round pick this year matches the clippers 2nd round next year

Now having said that if you took the time to read my response I also specifically stated that the mavs unlike the clippers were not in WIN NOW MODE which you obviously don't give up Brunson from their negotiating stance.

But that is a deal that trumps the clippers deal in term of value.

And for the record I'm not as high on Brunson as most because I think guys like him are a dime a dozen in the NBA easily replaceable.

But I understand the mavs point of view because they value Brunson a lot higher.

I just don't but that's my personal opinion of him which I'm intitled to have no one has to agree with it jeez it's a sports opinion board
Well, shit -- if all you're trying to do is BEAT the Clippers deal to make a point, then why not trade Luka for Morris? They'll take that offer in a heartbeat! If you're gonna spout off poorly thought-out ideas just so you can be "right", then why not go all the way? You can say the moon is made of cheese and call it an "opinion" all you want, but we're going to demand that you back up said opinion with facts and analysis... The "it's a sports board" and "I'm entitled to my my opinion" defenses are worn the hell out. If you can't handle your posts being scrutinized without getting all butthurt about it, then take a hike, kid.

Trading Brunson for Morris is a dumbass proposal from the Mavs perspective because it destroys our PG depth just so we can get another big (which we don't need after WCS) -- it's making a trade just to make a trade.
__________________

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-09-2020 at 07:44 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 08:56 PM   #1470
Dallas41
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 615
Dallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to all
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Well, shit -- if all you're trying to do is BEAT the Clippers deal to make a point, then why not trade Luka for Morris? They'll take that offer in a heartbeat! If you're gonna spout off poorly thought-out ideas just so you can be "right", then why not go all the way? You can say the moon is made of cheese and call it an "opinion" all you want, but we're going to demand that you back up said opinion with facts and analysis... The "it's a sports board" and "I'm entitled to my my opinion" defenses are worn the hell out. If you can't handle your posts being scrutinized without getting all butthurt about it, then take a hike, kid.

Trading Brunson for Morris is a dumbass proposal from the Mavs perspective because it destroys our PG depth just so we can get another big (which we don't need after WCS) -- it's making a trade just to make a trade.
Morris is hybrid 3/4 wing type player not a Center btw

The mavs actually lack those types of players that's one of the reasons why they are intersted in Michael Kidd Gilchrist who plays the same position as Morris

So to say the mavs don't need another big because they have WCS is incorrect because they are looking to grab MKG

Your statement made no sense based on that logic

Have a good day sir i refuse to engage in this topic anymore the trade deadline has passed not worth my time debating it with you anymore
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 09:12 PM   #1471
Underdog
Moderator
 
Underdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 41.21.1
Posts: 36,142
Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
Morris is hybrid 3/4 wing type player not a Center btw

The mavs actually lack those types of players that's one of the reasons why they are intersted in Michael Kidd Gilchrist who plays the same position as Morris

So to say the mavs don't need another big because they have WCS is incorrect because they are looking to grab MKG

Your statement made no sense based on that logic

Have a good day sir i refuse to engage in this topic anymore the trade deadline has passed not worth my time debating it with you anymore
Saying “I refuse to continue this debate” is just as weak as “I’m entitled to my opinion”. You just want to get the parting shot, but that doesn’t change the fact that your proposal to trade Brunson for Morris was terrible... Yeah, Morris isn’t a center, but he’s taller than Justin Jackson’s 6’7”, who played the 5 in our small ball lineup last night — Morris at 6’9” would definitely qualify as a “big” (1" shorter than Powell), which is what I called him. MKG is 6'6" (same height as THJ) and completely fits the bill of a wing player, even when we go small.

And the big difference between MKG and Morris? You don’t have to trade a high second rounder and your primary PG depth to get MKG, you just have to waive the worst guy on your roster. You come in here swinging your dick around acting like you’re the smartest guy in the room, but if you gave any thought to what you were saying instead of shit-posting, then maybe you’d realize there’s a thing or two you could learn from this community. Obviously asset management isn’t your forte.
__________________

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-09-2020 at 09:24 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:07 PM   #1472
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope
 
EricaLubarsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 32,659
EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default

MKG just cleared waivers.

Mavs making their pitch.
__________________
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 05:16 PM   #1473
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 17,983
DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute
Default

LOL we have to pitch MKG?
__________________
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:15 PM   #1474
Underdog
Moderator
 
Underdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 41.21.1
Posts: 36,142
Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Sounds like we might be interested in Harkliss too...
__________________

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:19 PM   #1475
mac222b
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,265
mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Harkless is better but he may choose more of a contender.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 06:45 PM   #1476
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 17,983
DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Yeah, much rather have Harkless, but I honestly don't really care much about either. Too late into the season to try and work end of benchers in with any serious impact.
__________________
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 07:55 PM   #1477
BPo001
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 3,582
BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Brad Townsend: Hearing MKG to Dallas not a certainty, but Mavs in the mix.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:55 PM   #1478
Dallas41
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 615
Dallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to all
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Brad Townsend: Hearing MKG to Dallas not a certainty, but Mavs in the mix.
We could surely use his size on the perimeter

But even if he signs I'd be surprised if he plays much

Just don't think Carlisle will value his defense much
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 11:56 PM   #1479
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 17,983
DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Waiving Broek according to Stein then signing MKG.
__________________
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2020, 01:02 AM   #1480
Skywalker
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BRAZIL
Posts: 3,443
Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Was hoping it wouldnt be Broek.
__________________


Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.