Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: What will the result of the game be?
Mavs win by 20+ 1 20.00%
Mavs win by 10-19 0 0%
Mavs win by 1-9 2 40.00%
Mavs lose by 1-9 1 20.00%
Mavs lose by 10-19 0 0%
Mavs lose by 20+ 1 20.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-2020, 09:15 PM   #41
NeedlesKane
Platinum Member

NeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant futureNeedlesKane has a brilliant future

I just got home. How are we doing tonight?
Old 03-02-2020, 09:15 PM   #42
Dallas41

Dallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
this. i really dont know why this is so hard to understand. he is so slow that he often ruins the defensive schemes/rotations

Boban isnt a rotation player, he is a "break glass in case of emergency" player.
Lol

What defensive schemes and rotations are you referring to?

The mavs rank 18th in defense this year so it's not like they are killing it without him.

They constantly blow rotations or get a small switched on to a big without boban ever playing

I really don't see how he makes the defense any worse than they already are this year.

What I do see is a guy who constantly gets his team easy buckets and offensive rebounds

He's actually more productive than per say MKG on both ends of the floor and I thought MKG was going to be a good defensive pickup but he's out of position trying to play PF that's why he's looked so pedestrian every outing
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 09:16 PM   #43
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
The answer to your objection is pace. The Mavs need to adjust to play at a slower pace. Less running and gunning. The way a team plays has to be adjusted based upon the personnel on the floor. Look at JJB. He's a tiny, but he's still gotten plenty of burn over his career, and I'd argue he's more of a liability due to his size than Boban is due to his foot speed.
I'm talking about his defense, so you're gonna have to politely ask the other team to play slower so he can keep up.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 09:17 PM   #44
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
Not with KP out I dont think. Even Boban got PT ahead of him.

Regardless of that though it's just dumb, the guy has clearly proven he deserves a chance tbh. Carlisle things I guess...
I agree with you. While I'm happy to see Boban play and am not surprised by his productivity, I almost view his minutes played as wasted because RC won't play him much the remainder of the year or in the playoffs. If that turns out to be the case, then the minutes Boban is playing would've been better spent integrating WCS into the Mavs rotation and get him accustomed to playing with the team. HOWEVER, that's assuming WCS has a decent-sized role ahead the remainder of the season and playoffs, which is anybodys guess at this point.

So, yeah, I find Boban's minutes tonight a bit puzzling, and figure that whatever "personal" reasons were responsible for WCS absence, tonight is a bit of punishment sitting.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 09:19 PM   #45
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I'm talking about his defense, so you're gonna have to politely ask the other team to play slower so he can keep up.
I know what you're talking about, but please, the man is a five. He can get back fast enough, except for when the opposing team is really pushing the ball and running, and if that's the case there are few 5's in the league that can get back and get set fast enough, especially if a 5 is playing under the rim on offense. I've seen plenty of times where KP was under the rim, the defense got the rebound and pushed the ball and he was no where in sight on defense because the ball was pushed at pace on purpose. You're going to have to come up with a better excuse than that. Edit: and I think KP moves pretty dang fast for his size.

Last edited by turin; 03-02-2020 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:22 PM   #46
Dallas41

Dallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
MKG is a more versatile defender. I want to see WCS too, but I can see why MKG got in first.
Versatile?

He's struggled defending inside at the 4 and 5 spot since his arrival

He's not defending perimeter players so his versatility goes to waist

WCS is agile for a big he makes more sense at the 5 with kleber at the 4 off the bench because both guys are at their natural positions as opposed to playing Kleber and MKG together off the bench

That tandem has not looked good so far anytime it's been used we get killed on the boards
Old 03-02-2020, 09:22 PM   #47
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I agree with you. While I'm happy to see Boban play and am not surprised by his productivity, I almost view his minutes played as wasted because RC won't play him much the remainder of the year or in the playoffs. If that turns out to be the case, then the minutes Boban is playing would've been better spent integrating WCS into the Mavs rotation and get him accustomed to playing with the team. HOWEVER, that's assuming WCS has a decent-sized role ahead the remainder of the season and playoffs, which is anybodys guess at this point.

So, yeah, I find Boban's minutes tonight a bit puzzling, and figure that whatever "personal" reasons were responsible for WCS absence, tonight is a bit of punishment sitting.
If Twitter is to be believed, apparently the "personal reasons" for WCS not being with the team for the past couple weeks had to do with his girlfriend getting pregnant... And not being with the team for a couple weeks is gonna earn most bench players a DNP... This isn't a conspiracy.

Old 03-02-2020, 09:22 PM   #48
turin
Diamond Member

Wow, pretty sequence of passing by the Bulls after that steal. Maxi didn't stand a chance. :-(
Old 03-02-2020, 09:23 PM   #49
turin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
Versatile?

He's struggled defending inside at the 4 and 5 spot since his arrival

He's not defending perimeter players so his versatility goes to waste

WCS is agile for a big he makes more sense at the 5 with kleber at the 4 off the bench because both guys are at their natural positions as opposed to playing Kleber and MKG together off the bench

That tandem has not looked good so far anytime it's been used we get killed on the boards
this

Last edited by turin; 03-02-2020 at 09:23 PM.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:25 PM   #50
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
The answer to your objection is pace. The Mavs need to adjust to play at a slower pace. Less running and gunning. The way a team plays has to be adjusted based upon the personnel on the floor. Look at JJB. He's a tiny, but he's still gotten plenty of burn over his career, and I'd argue he's more of a liability due to his size than Boban is due to his foot speed.

Boban is super-productive, so if he wants to walk down the floor, stand flat-footed and drop the ball in the hoop like he's taking out the trash while everybody stands around and watches, then I think a coach could make an effort to make use of a clearly superior advantage he has in size. He's a smart player, has good hands, and he doesn't move nearly as slow as some people think. He moves just fast enough to get the job done. I don't see him wasting a lot of energy. He's very judicious in the energy department imo, and I think people think he's slower than he is because he's very efficient with his movement.

Edit: If footspeed is really a determining factor for why a big can't get on the floor, then WCS should be starting every game. The man's a gazelle moving down the court. He can really move, especially for his size.
Even if the Mavs slow it down, you see every team push the tempo when Boban is on the court...making him often late at defense
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 09:29 PM   #51
turin
Diamond Member

Quote:
If Twitter is to be believed, apparently the "personal reasons" for WCS not being with the team for the past couple weeks had to do with his girlfriend getting pregnant... And not being with the team for a couple weeks is gonna earn most bench players a DNP... This isn't a conspiracy.
That makes sense. Thanks for the info. I don't know what you meant by conspiracy, but it does make sense now. I figured that he was, for lack of a better term, being "punished" for his time away for personal reasons, whatever they were. It seems that assessment was correct.

Last edited by turin; 03-02-2020 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:30 PM   #52
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

What is up with this timidness on offense? Let's go!
Old 03-02-2020, 09:31 PM   #53
turin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Even if the Mavs slow it down, you see every team push the tempo when Boban is on the court...making him often late at defense
yeah, I don't disagree with you, but that works both ways. Pushing pace and rushing to get a shot off sometimes isn't the best way to efficiently execute offensive possessions.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:32 PM   #54
turin
Diamond Member

Nice D THJ
Old 03-02-2020, 09:34 PM   #55
turin
Diamond Member

It's really interesting to watch the Bulls defense in the paint when Boban is in at the 5. It really messes with their defense having to always keep a body on him. Mavs ball movement on the perimeter is a bit crisper because there is more room on the perimeter with more bodies packed in the paint.

Last edited by turin; 03-02-2020 at 09:34 PM.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:35 PM   #56
turin
Diamond Member

LOL, Boban is like a man playing amongst boys.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:36 PM   #57
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Boban always produces. Wouldn't be in this game without him.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:37 PM   #58
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
lol, imagine being there for you pregnant girlfriend. How dare he.

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 09:38 PM   #59
turin
Diamond Member

Quote:
especially if medical complications were involved, which I hope wasn't the case, or if it was, that everything is okay now.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:38 PM   #60
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Luka still doesn't look right, and the offense REALLY doesn't look right.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:40 PM   #61
turin
Diamond Member

BS call against DFS.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:40 PM   #62
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Terrible call. DFS is going straight up.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:41 PM   #63
turin
Diamond Member

Mavs really could use another legit 4 right now to pair with Boban if WCS isn't going to get any burn. Maxi can't play all 48.

Last edited by turin; 03-02-2020 at 09:44 PM.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:41 PM   #64
turin
Diamond Member

Last edited by turin; 03-02-2020 at 09:41 PM.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:41 PM   #65
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Luka still doesn't look right, and the offense REALLY doesn't look right.
Bobby Karalla
@bobbykaralla
The Bulls have sent two at Doncic pretty much every time he uses a ball screen. That's one of the side effects of playing without Porzingis. Defenses would be insane to do that when he's the one screening.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:42 PM   #66
Underdog

Quote:
I mean, I can think of all kinds of ways the pregnant girlfriend scenario can go... Whatever it was, it seems to be resolved for now, so hopefully he can get some solid practices in and earn himself some floor time.

Old 03-02-2020, 09:44 PM   #67
turin
Diamond Member

Wow, what a disappointment Jackson is turning out to be. Sheesh.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:44 PM   #68
Underdog

Quote:
Mavs really could use another legit 4 right now to pair with Boban if WCS isn't going to get any burn. Maxi can't play all 48.
WCS isn't a 4.

Old 03-02-2020, 09:44 PM   #69
Melonhead
Diamond Member

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Lol we really out here losing to the bulls. Ready for everyone to tell us weíre not allowed to be upset. Weíve established why the Mavs arenít that great, but this still isnít acceptable.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:45 PM   #70
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Lol we really out here losing to the bulls. Ready for everyone to tell us weíre not allowed to be upset. Weíve established why the Mavs arenít that great, but this still isnít acceptable.
B2B down KP, Curry, Brunson and Powell...
Old 03-02-2020, 09:45 PM   #71
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I don't buy it. It only takes like 10 minutes to get your girlfriend pregnant.

Maybe 5.

Old 03-02-2020, 09:46 PM   #72
turin
Diamond Member

Quote:
WCS isn't a 4.
I know. Missing KP and with WCS not being played just puts the exclamation point on the Mavs not having any depth of big bodies, so while normally, with KP playing, we are light a bit at the 5, tonight we are down to basically Maxi as the only 4, hence my comment.

Edit: After rereading my initial comment, I see what you read. Yeah, that didn't come out the way I intended. Even if WCS were playing, we still need another legit 4 for tonight.

Last edited by turin; 03-02-2020 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:47 PM   #73
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidDaMonkey View Post
I don't buy it. It only takes like 10 minutes to get your girlfriend pregnant.

Maybe 5.

Underrated post.

Old 03-02-2020, 09:48 PM   #74
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Poor Jackson. Just kinda feel bad for him at this point. No way he is on the team next season.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:48 PM   #75
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
Wow, what a disappointment Jackson is turning out to be. Sheesh.
he is the salary match for the obvious trade for Frank N next season
Old 03-02-2020, 09:49 PM   #76
Dallas41

I'm sorry but I just don't see how our defense is worse with boban on the floor

Our perimeter players get beat regardless of who's playing center

We rank 18th defensively for a reason and that has nothing to do with boban's foot speed or his ability to get up and down the floor

We suck with or without him defensively

But the big advantage he does provide is dude becomes a walking bucket inside. He gets this team so many easy effortless buckets things you need when jump shots aren't falling

Wilt chamberlin in his prime could play center and wouldn't be able to protect against all the limited defenders we have in THJ, Curry, Brunson, JJB, Luka and Jackson.

Seriously we have Kleber and KP both quick but yet our defense as a team sucks all year because our wing players just aren't very good at keeping people in front of them

That's not a Boban issue
Old 03-02-2020, 09:49 PM   #77
turin
Diamond Member

Boban, KP in the game now, so hopefully we can make up some ground now with some defensive stops and rebounds.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:49 PM   #78
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Could be worse. We could be the Rockets. They lost to the Knicks tonight. Oh wait...
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 09:50 PM   #79
Underdog

Quote:
I know. Missing KP and with WCS not being played just puts the exclamation point on the Mavs not having any depth of big bodies, so while normally, with KP playing, we are light a bit at the 5, tonight we are down to basically Maxi as the only 4, hence my comment.
No, it puts an exclamation point on the Mavs not having enough big bodies that can stretch the floor, which is what PFs do in this league now (blame Dirk if you don't like it).

Boban and WCS only work at the center position, and only when KP isn't dominating it... Other than Maxi, we really don't have another player that can slide into the 4 -- that's why we go small with guys like DFS, MKG, and Jackson (to varying degrees of disappointing results).

Donnie has a bit of work to do this offseason.

Last edited by Underdog; 03-02-2020 at 09:51 PM.
Old 03-02-2020, 09:50 PM   #80
turin
Diamond Member

Stop it with the damn turnovers please!