Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: What will the result of the game be?
Mavs win by 20+ 0 0%
Mavs win by 10-19 0 0%
Mavs win by 1-9 2 100.00%
Mavs lose by 1-9 0 0%
Mavs lose by 10-19 0 0%
Mavs lose by 20+ 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-08-2020, 08:23 PM   #41
LukaThaDon

LukaThaDon is a glorious beacon of lightLukaThaDon is a glorious beacon of lightLukaThaDon is a glorious beacon of lightLukaThaDon is a glorious beacon of lightLukaThaDon is a glorious beacon of lightLukaThaDon is a glorious beacon of lightLukaThaDon is a glorious beacon of light

This team is kinda soft.
LukaThaDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2020, 08:24 PM   #42
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

If you have to start Lee AND have to play him 31 minutes then your chances of winning are low
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 08:24 PM   #43
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

That was a really good game. Yes, the Mavs didn't close it with a win, but they are miles ahead of where the were closing just a couple of weeks ago. Very encouraging. The blown games earlier in the season make this loss hurt more than it really should. Next!
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 08:25 PM   #44
LukaThaDon

LukaThaDon is a glorious beacon of lightLukaThaDon is a glorious beacon of lightLukaThaDon is a glorious beacon of lightLukaThaDon is a glorious beacon of lightLukaThaDon is a glorious beacon of lightLukaThaDon is a glorious beacon of lightLukaThaDon is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
That was a really good game. Yes, the Mavs didn't close it with a win, but they are miles ahead of where the were closing just a couple of weeks ago. Very encouraging. The blown games earlier in the season make this loss hurt more than it really should. Next!
I don't understand how this makes them miles better at closing. They gave up an 8-0 run and didn't score after 4:02 remaining, at home. That's terrible.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:26 PM   #45
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

They had plenty of open shots down the stretch, just didn’t make them. The foul on Luka’s drive gets called if he’s LeBron or Harden.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:29 PM   #46
Dallas41

Dallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to all

Man we just cant seem to beat good teams

I just don't know what else this team could do to win a freaking clutch game vs a good team

Watching us compared to OKC is like night and day...

Need that veteran presence like C.Paul late in games
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 08:29 PM   #47
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukaThaDon View Post
I don't understand how this makes them miles better at closing. They gave up an 8-0 run and didn't score after 4:02 remaining, at home. That's terrible.
There was a lid on the basket, and they had some very good looks. Given a second run with the same shots in this scenario, I can see them winning this. Defense was solid, and it's hard to score at the end of the game in the playoffs against a physical team like Indiana, so I thought this game was a good measuring stick for playoff-style basketball. The Mavs weren't perfect down the stretch, but I thought they were more composed and made fewer mistakes imo. They didn't seem so frenetic, and the big guys played pretty well, though KP didn't have a good night offensively. That was a gritty game against a solid, solid team.

Edit: I also liked RC's rotations. He definitely played the roster a bit differently than what's usually in his wheelhouse, and we hung in there until the very end. One more bounce our way, and we win this.

Last edited by turin; 03-08-2020 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:32 PM   #48
Dallas41

Dallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
They had plenty of open shots down the stretch, just didnít make them. The foul on Lukaís drive gets called if heís LeBron or Harden.
Lebron has rarely got calls this year

He's avg a pedestrian 5 fts per game.

Plus I think the mavs are a poor ft team anyway. I'M not too sure luka would hit both of those Fts because he seems to be struggling for some odd reason at the line

We really just don't have any perimeter defense IMO
Old 03-08-2020, 08:36 PM   #49
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Once again "the #1 offense" is nowhere to be seen when it matters most

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 08:36 PM   #50
LukaThaDon

Quote:
There was a lid on the basket, and they had some very good looks. Given a second run with the same shots in this scenario, I can see them winning this. Defense was solid, and it's hard to score at the end of the game in the playoffs against a physical team like Indiana, so I thought this game was a good measuring stick for playoff-style basketball. The Mavs weren't perfect down the stretch, but I thought they were more composed and made fewer mistakes imo. They didn't seem so frenetic, and the big guys played pretty well, though KP didn't have a good night offensively. That was a gritty game against a solid, solid team.

Edit: I also liked RC's rotations. He definitely played the roster a bit differently than what's usually in his wheelhouse, and we hung in there until the very end. One more bounce our way, and we win this.
No doubt that Pacers defense looked stout. But I just think if we're the #1 rated offense in the NBA and we miss a bunch of 3s and gave up points like it's nothing, it's not any type of moral victory or any victory at all.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:45 PM   #51
turin
Diamond Member

Quote:
No doubt that Pacers defense looked stout. But I just think if we're the #1 rated offense in the NBA and we miss a bunch of 3s and gave up points like it's nothing, it's not any type of moral victory or any victory at all.
Personally, I take encouragement from the fact that, yes necessitated by injuries, RC has played bigs in tandem more minutes and more consistently. I think the Mavericks defense in the paint has looked so much better recently. Is it perfect? No, but there has been a big difference in paint presence and rim protection imo. Before, when the shots stopped falling, the Mavs would be down double digits in about 3 minutes. Their defense allowed them to hang in this game until the very end and have a shot to tie it. I can think of 4 or 5 instances where, had the Mavs just got the break of the bounce, they would've won this game.

I'm pretty sure the Mavs are not taking any moral victories from this, and that's fine by me. But just a couple of weeks ago, this is the type of game that I would've expected the Mavs to get blown out of - shots not dropping, with a physical team pushing them around making layups left and right. That wasn't the case tonight. Just my .02.

Last edited by turin; 03-08-2020 at 08:47 PM.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:46 PM   #52
Dallas41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
If you have to start Lee AND have to play him 31 minutes then your chances of winning are low
Veteran presence lol

I get we are banged up but Wright should get those minutes

Lee has somehow found his way into the rotation more than i ever anticipated considering he was trade bait all year

This was really a tough pill to swallow especially with Houston sucking so bad right now
Old 03-08-2020, 08:50 PM   #53
turin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
Veteran presence lol

I get we are banged up but Wright should get those minutes

Lee has somehow found his way into the rotation more than i ever anticipated considering he was trade bait all year

This was really a tough pill to swallow especially with Houston sucking so bad right now
yeah, the minutes played between DW and Lee are a bit puzzling. Personally, I think RC just isn't sure exactly how he wants to play them yet and is trying different things. That's really all I can guess. I would also prefer to see Delon get more minutes, especially tonight when he was looking more aggressive at times.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:51 PM   #54
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Lebron has rarely got calls this year

He's avg a pedestrian 5 fts per game.

Plus I think the mavs are a poor ft team anyway. I'M not too sure luka would hit both of those Fts because he seems to be struggling for some odd reason at the line

We really just don't have any perimeter defense IMO
I think LeBron probably gets the call there. LeBronís 3 point attempts per game and 3 point attempts as percentage of overall fg attempts are higher than theyíve ever been in his career. Thatís why heís shooting less free throws.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:51 PM   #55
LukaThaDon

Lee is probably playing his last season in the NBA. I don't see anyone signing him unless it's for like a 15th man. Which is basically what he is for us.

I remember when we wanted to trade Lee and THJ for nothing and we kinda found gold with THJ. He's worth his contract even.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:51 PM   #56
Dallas41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
Once again "the #1 offense" is nowhere to be seen when it matters most
I don't usually make any excuses for the mavs but with curry taking those shots late instead of C.Lee we probably finally win a game like this

We need to start beating playoff quality teams or else no one is going to take the mavs serious
Old 03-08-2020, 08:54 PM   #57
turin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Lee is probably playing his last season in the NBA. I don't see anyone signing him unless it's for like a 15th man. Which is basically what he is for us.

I remember when we wanted to trade Lee and THJ for nothing and we kinda found gold with THJ. He's worth his contract even.
Honestly, the most exciting thing for me to see in this game was THJ's performance. Indiana is a more defensive, physical team, much more like what we are likely to see in the playoffs, and I couldn't be happier to see THJ hit his shots during the game. I really think THJ's production is going to determine how far we can go. Yes, a healthy Curry can take some of the load off, but I still think THJ is going to be our x-factor if we continue playing like we are now.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:55 PM   #58
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Just finished the game. Tough loss. Maxi was a no show tonight. KP with a rough shooting night. We win that game if fully healthy.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 08:55 PM   #59
Dallas41

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
I think LeBron probably gets the call there. LeBronís 3 point attempts per game and 3 point attempts as percentage of overall fg attempts are higher than theyíve ever been in his career. Thatís why heís shooting less free throws.
Yeah your probably right I didn't factor in his increased 3 point attempts

But the one thing that still concerns me is even if luka gets the calls I'm not that confident in his ft shooting right now

He's actually looking a lot like LeBron in a bad way when it comes to being efficient ft shooter.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:56 PM   #60
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Crappy loss, but I'm not too surprised with KP having an off game.

Glass half full is Jackson being an actual NBA player the last two games. 11 pts, 5 rbds, 2 assists, 1 steal, 1 block is pretty huge if he can keep it up. And he made 2 threes!

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 03-08-2020 at 08:57 PM.
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 08:58 PM   #61
FreshJive
Diamond Member

Quote:
I don't usually make any excuses for the mavs but with curry taking those shots late instead of C.Lee we probably finally win a game like this

We need to start beating playoff quality teams or else no one is going to take the mavs serious
They also got decent shots. Not the wild Luka heaves or desperate drives they sometimes resort to when they fall apart at the end of games. KP struggling didnít help.
Old 03-08-2020, 08:59 PM   #62
turin
Diamond Member

Quote:

But the one thing that still concerns me is even if luka gets the calls I'm not that confident in his ft shooting right now

He's actually looking a lot like LeBron in a bad way when it comes to being efficient ft shooter.
Yeah, I second your concerns about Luka's FT shooting. I can't believe Indiana didn't foul Luka and put him on the line instead of playing out the last possession the way they did. It worked, but I'm not a fan of that strategy for closing in that situation.
Old 03-08-2020, 09:01 PM   #63
FreshJive
Diamond Member

Quote:

He definitely should be a lot better from the line than he is.
Old 03-08-2020, 09:06 PM   #64
Dallas41

Quote:
Honestly, the most exciting thing for me to see in this game was THJ's performance. Indiana is a more defensive, physical team, much more like what we are likely to see in the playoffs, and I couldn't be happier to see THJ hit his shots during the game. I really think THJ's production is going to determine how far we can go. Yes, a healthy Curry can take some of the load off, but I still think THJ is going to be our x-factor if we continue playing like we are now.
It will be interesting to see how RC chooses to close games in the playoffs

If we need offense I think you roll with KP, Maxi, THJ, Curry and Luka

If we need defense than I think you swap curry for DFS

That's why matchups are so critical and that 6th seed would be a better spot for Dallas

I honestly believe the mavs matchup very well with Denver and could pull off an upset
Old 03-08-2020, 09:19 PM   #65
LukaThaDon

May as well gear up for Mavs vs Clippers in the playoffs. We aren't dropping and it doesn't like we're rising either.
Old 03-08-2020, 09:44 PM   #66
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
May as well gear up for Mavs vs Clippers in the playoffs. We aren't dropping and it doesn't like we're rising either.
Thereís 17 games left and something like 5 games separates 2-7. A few of those games are against teams above us. Relax
Old 03-08-2020, 09:52 PM   #67
LukaThaDon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Thereís 17 games left and something like 5 games separates 2-7. A few of those games are against teams above us. Relax
We have to beat those teams for it to matter and we haven't done that very much. Admittedly partly because we can't stay healthy.
Old 03-08-2020, 10:12 PM   #68
BPo001
Diamond Member

Quote:
We have to beat those teams for it to matter and we haven't done that very much. Admittedly partly because we can't stay healthy.
Or they could lose to other teams and slip in the standings. If injuries happen to us they can happen to anyone.
Old 03-08-2020, 11:05 PM   #69
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Luka giveth and Luka taketh away.

AJax with a solid and confident showing.

DFS hits most of the open shots Lee took. Hurry back.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 10:33 AM   #70
turin
Diamond Member

Quote:
It will be interesting to see how RC chooses to close games in the playoffs

If we need offense I think you roll with KP, Maxi, THJ, Curry and Luka

If we need defense than I think you swap curry for DFS

That's why matchups are so critical and that 6th seed would be a better spot for Dallas

I honestly believe the mavs matchup very well with Denver and could pull off an upset
Pretty much my thoughts exactly, too.
Old 03-09-2020, 10:40 AM   #71
LukaThaDon

We are 28th in clutchtime efficiency.
Old 03-09-2020, 11:01 AM   #72
saclare
Golden Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

It's become very apparent how much DFS and Curry mean to this squad. Also, thinking the sickness got to KP tonight but he grinded it out to play given so many guys are down. Shit happens, go get the next one.

I'll add that Luka's whining, however warranted, is getting to be a bit much. At some point, you have to eat contact and no-calls, play both sides to the ref. Unfortunately that's the way today's NBA has gone in the fact that you have to show the refs where someone smacked you upside the head/face.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 11:32 AM   #73
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Something like 3-13 in clutch games. That can't give anyone optimism against any playoff team.

Old 03-09-2020, 11:35 AM   #74
Dallas41

Quote:
We are 28th in clutchtime efficiency.
Luka and KP are awesome but as of right now they just haven't reached that level of being a closer

It took Dirk a few years to grow into that role

This might sound crazy but with the way Curry is shooting this year you could make an argument that until KP and Luka gets more experience Curry might actually be our best option ala Jet Terry in that role for this Season
Old 03-09-2020, 11:44 AM   #75
Dallas41

Btw has anyone figured out how on earth did we allow that kid McConnell to get anything he wanted yesterday

This is why I worry so much about our perimeter defense. We literally had no one on the roster yesterday that could keep this kid out the paint.

Someone on this roster beyond DFS has to be able to defend these type of guys in the playoffs by at least making things more difficult on them right?
Old 03-09-2020, 12:38 PM   #76
tap2390
Golden Member

tap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant future

Doncic drawing 3 fouls on Warren in 12 seconds is really demonstrative of his IQ:

https://streamable.com/979i1

Foul 1: Doncic uses his body to keep Warren behind him, forcing Warren to go over his back.

Foul 2: Doncic recognizes Warren's high hand check and goes straight from three point stance to shooting motion to draw the foul.

Foul 3: Doncic uses a step back and pump fake to get Warren jumping towards him.
Old 03-09-2020, 01:11 PM   #77
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Doncic drawing 3 fouls on Warren in 12 seconds is really demonstrative of his IQ:

Foul 1: Doncic uses his body to keep Warren behind him, forcing Warren to go over his back.

Foul 2: Doncic recognizes Warren's high hand check and goes straight from three point stance to shooting motion to draw the foul.

Foul 3: Doncic uses a step back and pump fake to get Warren jumping towards him.
Love it.

Then the refs let guys smack him in the face three times without a call. Ridiculous.
Old 03-09-2020, 01:31 PM   #78
FreshJive
Diamond Member

Quote:
Btw has anyone figured out how on earth did we allow that kid McConnell to get anything he wanted yesterday

This is why I worry so much about our perimeter defense. We literally had no one on the roster yesterday that could keep this kid out the paint.

Someone on this roster beyond DFS has to be able to defend these type of guys in the playoffs by at least making things more difficult on them right?
Like Skywalker said, they should just back off him. He doesnít like to shoot. He tries to drive on every play. 2 point shots are .958 of his shots. Last season it was .900.
Old 03-09-2020, 01:32 PM   #79
SMC0007
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post

Yea, it was brilliant. I watched that back several times. Foul 4,5 and 6

Unfortunately, Then he misses free throw and next possession takes a bad lazy iso 3 without dribbling. All that work and then settles for a bad shot against a lesser defender was puzzling yet not so surprising.

Old 03-09-2020, 02:16 PM   #80
FollowedKPtodallas

FollowedKPtodallas is a jewel in the roughFollowedKPtodallas is a jewel in the roughFollowedKPtodallas is a jewel in the roughFollowedKPtodallas is a jewel in the roughFollowedKPtodallas is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Luka and KP are awesome but as of right now they just haven't reached that level of being a closer

It took Dirk a few years to grow into that role

This might sound crazy but with the way Curry is shooting this year you could make an argument that until KP and Luka gets more experience Curry might actually be our best option ala Jet Terry in that role for this Season

I dont think its crazy at all. Curry is a historically great 3 point shooter.
FollowedKPtodallas is offline   Reply With Quote