Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-14-2019, 09:19 PM   #81
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Man that seems steep, but some tweaking and it sounds interesting.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2019, 09:38 PM   #82
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

I don’t think we have the ammo to get Beal. Mikal Bridges or Bamba may be gettable for DSJ though
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 09:54 PM   #83
AO41
Golden Member

AO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
I don’t think we have the ammo to get Beal. Mikal Bridges or Bamba may be gettable for DSJ though
If we are going for WIN NOW, I would swing big with Orlando and see if we can get Gordon and Vucevic.

Vucevic
Gordon
Barnes
?
Luka

....would be a nice line up where surround Luka with skilled players,shooters and Grodon for all the high flying stuff.

If we are thinking long term then I think no question we must have Bamba.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:17 PM   #84
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Is Woj implying that the sore back is a fake injury?
Old 01-14-2019, 10:22 PM   #85
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

https://twitter.com/Gambo987/status/1085007314342502400

There's this guy. No idea who he is. He might be like their own Fish in that he has no sources but pretends like he does. Since there is a clip of him bashing Luka before the draft calling him a crying little kid who was entitled and teammates hated him. Yet... All of his real madrid teammates seem to be tweeting his highlights and all star support so... yeah that was just a little off. He's almost as bad as Rashad Phillips but let's be real, nobody is as bad as that dude.

Last edited by Bryan_Wilson; 01-14-2019 at 10:24 PM.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:34 PM   #86
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
Nah. Not unless a deal is nearing completion.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:36 PM   #87
AO41
Golden Member

AO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to beholdAO41 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I actually though there was something strange about him being out for so long.

Either way....I think Luka has changed this team into a win now team and we need to make moves. If that means letting DSJ go then so be it. I haven’t seen much from him this year.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:38 PM   #88
AO41
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
I wouldn’t be surprised if they are using the injury because they don’t want to bring DSJ back to the team. He has been in and out all year and there has been no success and no progress. I think DSJ is also ready to move on and may not want to come back.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:39 PM   #89
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
https://twitter.com/Gambo987/status/1085007314342502400

There's this guy. No idea who he is. He might be like their own Fish in that he has no sources but pretends like he does. Since there is a clip of him bashing Luka before the draft calling him a crying little kid who was entitled and teammates hated him. Yet... All of his real madrid teammates seem to be tweeting his highlights and all star support so... yeah that was just a little off. He's almost as bad as Rashad Phillips but let's be real, nobody is as bad as that dude.
Phillips is such a clown. Yoda. Lol. If Trier scores ten points it's like “Yoda warned you!” Nothing about Luka smashing every night.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:43 PM   #90
Melonhead
Diamond Member

Melonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant future

Woooo boy I do not like the report that Rick is frustrated with Dennis. He’s freaking barely 21 and a raw talent. As a coach you have to be patient with him. Not every teen will come out looking like an all star. He and Luka have played 20ish games together and I’m not ready to bail yet.

I don’t want to twiddle around either but if Cuban is refusing to sit into this rebuild and try to force a shit trade I will be pissed. They better not be doing this just to push 8 seed this season. You have to look years down the road with Luka and building correctly around him.

With that said, I don’t think this team stays intact through the deadline.

Last edited by Melonhead; 01-14-2019 at 10:45 PM.
Melonhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2019, 10:44 PM   #91
FreshJive
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
But maybe it is. It might also be like AO41 is suggesting, and they used the wrist/back thing as an opportunity to see how the team performs with Luka running the show alone. Johnny Lawrence Headband had his minutes cut last game.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:45 PM   #92
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Phillips is such a clown. Yoda. Lol. If Trier scores ten points it's like “Yoda warned you!” Nothing about Luka smashing every night.
And he tweets out how his number 1 pick, which was Trae Young, gets guarded by Butler. But doesn't show Doncic get double teamed and Kawhi/Klay/Green/Durant/etc all guard him. And he also likes to say Doncic is a negative defender while never mentioning Trae... He's the absolute worst and he refuses to admit he was wrong in his hot take of Luka not being worth even a lotto pick.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:04 PM   #93
FreshJive
Diamond Member

Quote:
And he tweets out how his number 1 pick, which was Trae Young, gets guarded by Butler. But doesn't show Doncic get double teamed and Kawhi/Klay/Green/Durant/etc all guard him. And he also likes to say Doncic is a negative defender while never mentioning Trae... He's the absolute worst and he refuses to admit he was wrong in his hot take of Luka not being worth even a lotto pick.
He tried to make ROY cases for anyone else for awhile, but he gave up. The funniest thing was before the season, he tweeted a newspaper article about himself scoring like 50 pts in the Saudi Arabian pro league as if that were the equivalent of Euro league.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:22 PM   #94
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

https://twitter.com/tim_cato/status/1085023486417010688
Quote:
the Mavericks have discussed Dennis Smith trades with more than two teams, but discussions have been quiet for hours now, per multiple sources. the team values Smith highly and is exploring what the best possible package might be if they deal him. ESPN first on trade report.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:40 PM   #95
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Twitter is also saying DSJ liked a post about trading him... but I haven't seen anything like that. So maybe he unliked it? Or it's just bs... but still.

Edit... nvm found it. Instagram.

https://clutchpoints.com/mavs-news-d...out-of-dallas/

Last edited by Bryan_Wilson; 01-14-2019 at 11:42 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:46 PM   #96
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Woooo boy I do not like the report that Rick is frustrated with Dennis. He’s freaking barely 21 and a raw talent. As a coach you have to be patient with him. Not every teen will come out looking like an all star. He and Luka have played 20ish games together and I’m not ready to bail yet.

I don’t want to twiddle around either but if Cuban is refusing to sit into this rebuild and try to force a shit trade I will be pissed. They better not be doing this just to push 8 seed this season. You have to look years down the road with Luka and building correctly around him.

With that said, I don’t think this team stays intact through the deadline.
Trading Smith could easily turn into the Thunder trading Harden type of blunder...esp since Smith has proven he can adjust his role and improve his game with the three point shooting and defense. The way this is all going about it nothing short of despicable. Poor Smith has been nothing but shit on because of our shiny new toy. Kid has flaws, but most of it is completely undeserved.

I mean, if we got Beal or something of similar caliber, then I'd be ok with it. Anything short of that is a FO that is seriously jumping the gun.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:47 PM   #97
FreshJive
Diamond Member

Quote:
Twitter is also saying DSJ liked a post about trading him... but I haven't seen anything like that. So maybe he unliked it? Or it's just bs... but still.

Edit... nvm found it. Instagram.

https://clutchpoints.com/mavs-news-d...out-of-dallas/
Fish just posted an article about this. He offers the idea that maybe it's Smith that wants out, and that maybe Rick is Dennis's problem.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:00 AM   #98
BPo001
Platinum Member

BPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Trading Smith could easily turn into the Thunder trading Harden type of blunder...esp since Smith has proven he can adjust his role and improve his game with the three point shooting and defense. The way this is all going about it nothing short of despicable. Poor Smith has been nothing but shit on because of our shiny new toy. Kid has flaws, but most of it is completely undeserved.

I mean, if we got Beal or something of similar caliber, then I'd be ok with it. Anything short of that is a FO that is seriously jumping the gun.
This is how I feel about it. There’s not much on Phoenix or Orlando that I want (of players I think are attainable). I like DSJ and was stoked when we got him. He has shown improvement. I think Mavs are trying to get themselves into the playoffs this year.
BPo001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:03 AM   #99
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Quote:
Fish just posted an article about this. He offers the idea that maybe it's Smith that wants out, and that maybe Rick is Dennis's problem.
Makes a lot of sense tbh. Rick has clashed with a shit ton of pg's. Luka and DSJ seem to have a good relationship and DSJ seems absolutely lost on offense. He doesn't attack he looks like he's overthinking. Makes me sad cuz I think he's much better than what he has shown.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:06 AM   #100
Melonhead
Diamond Member

Melonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant future

Short of Beal you’re probably getting a Bamba or Josh Jackson who surprise still needs to be developed. I cannot imagine its Dennis that wants out but Cuban and Ricks doing.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:14 AM   #101
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, Rick doesn't like a loooooot players, but at least he loves Wes Matthews.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:20 AM   #102
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But none of this comes as a surprise... One of the primary reasons I had Jaren Jackson Jr. ranked higher than Luka Doncic last summer was because I figured we'd have to move Dennis Smith Jr. to make it work, and I didn't think Luka would be good enough to justify negating the gold we struck at #9 with DSJ the year before (I was wrong, by the way).

This is always how it was going to be because Dennis is a point guard and will always be a point guard, but so is Luka, and Luka is better... I wanted to see the 'DSJ at SG experiment' work because I love the kid, but it's just not happening.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:20 AM   #103
FreshJive
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
This is how I feel about it. There’s not much on Phoenix or Orlando that I want (of players I think are attainable). I like DSJ and was stoked when we got him. He has shown improvement. I think Mavs are trying to get themselves into the playoffs this year.
Gordon? Bamba? Bridges? Jackson?

Probably aren't getting Vuc.

Last edited by FreshJive; 01-15-2019 at 12:21 AM.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 12:23 AM   #104
FreshJive
Diamond Member

Quote:
Yeah, Rick doesn't like a loooooot players, but at least he loves Wes Matthews.
I'm guessing they are trying to fit him in any trade they can, and Rick isn't protesting.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:42 AM   #105
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
But none of this comes as a surprise... One of the primary reasons I had Jaren Jackson Jr. ranked higher than Luka Doncic last summer was because I figured we'd have to move Dennis Smith Jr. to make it work, and I didn't think Luka would be good enough to justify negating the gold we struck at #9 with DSJ the year before (I was wrong, by the way).

This is always how it was going to be because Dennis is a point guard and will always be a point guard, but so is Luka, and Luka is better... I wanted to see the 'DSJ at SG experiment' work because I love the kid, but it's just not happening.
I was right there with you concerning the fit issue, but there really hasn't been much of a chance to see if it works because of the stubbornness to keep Wes happy and untimely Smith injuries. Starting Smith with Wes at the 3 and Barnes to the 4 will never work.

However, the blow will be easier to take as long as Wes goes with him. I really can't stand to watch that guy another game.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:58 AM   #106
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I was right there with you concerning the fit issue, but there really hasn't been much of a chance to see if it works because of the stubbornness to keep Wes happy and untimely Smith injuries. Starting Smith with Wes at the 3 and Barnes to the 4 will never work.

However, the blow will be easier to take as long as Wes goes with him. I really can't stand to watch that guy another game.
Oh, I remember -- you & I were the two biggest Doncic skeptics in the offseason precisely because of fit... But I disagree that we haven't seen enough yet. It may not have been 100% clear at the time, but the reason we saw so much of Dennis at the 2 while JJB was at the 1 toward the end of last season was because Rick was already starting to evaluate whether or not Dennis could work at SG to accommodate Luka... The experiment certainly didn't work with Barea at point, and I imagine RC saw enough out of practice and the 20 games this season to conclude that it may never work.

I'm also starting to wonder if DSJ's body can handle his style of play, as he's struggled a lot with injuries so far in his young career... There's a chance that maybe our medical/training staff had a bit of input here as well.

All I know is that Dennis' value is high right now, so if the MBT has decided to part ways then it's probably best to strike while the iron is hot.
Old 01-15-2019, 01:29 AM   #107
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DSJ/Wes works straight up for Gordon. Do you do it?
Old 01-15-2019, 01:37 AM   #108
FreshJive
Diamond Member

Quote:
Makes a lot of sense tbh. Rick has clashed with a shit ton of pg's. Luka and DSJ seem to have a good relationship and DSJ seems absolutely lost on offense. He doesn't attack he looks like he's overthinking. Makes me sad cuz I think he's much better than what he has shown.
Also, remember a few weeks ago there was the controversy over Mark Cuban's comments about the AAU culture and the mixtapes. Barnes even felt the need to release a public comment. I wonder if Dennis was offended?
Old 01-15-2019, 01:44 AM   #109
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Quote:
DSJ/Wes works straight up for Gordon. Do you do it?
I would say yes. But it's actually a lot closer to me than it might be for others. I don't love his offense. Just like I don't love Barnes offense. The difference though is Gordon can contribute in other areas, and I also am banking on Luka being a great fit with him. With DJ rolling hard and Luka in the pnr and Barnes shooting 40%+ from 3... I'm pretty sure AG hasn't had the kind of space he will see here.

Last edited by Bryan_Wilson; 01-15-2019 at 01:44 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 02:17 AM   #110
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Trading Smith could easily turn into the Thunder trading Harden type of blunder...
Nah I mean let's not get carried away here. Harden was already a good p36 player where you hoped that he'd produce roughly at the same level when given the minutes. DSJ is not quite the same. I mean of course he can turn the corner, but it's much more of a gamble for any team than Harden (in hindsight).
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 02:27 AM   #111
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

WOW. So much to unpack here. Twitter is on fire!

First of all, I don't like how the Mavs are getting so much bad press. The wording of the report clearly suggests that this is as much Dennis wanting out. So he might not be willing to be just a secondary star to Luka after all. That's perfectly legit, but has to be part of the discussion. I trust Stein and Tim and all of them basically said the FO is willing to be patient with DSJ for now. So what changed? There's a decent chance that this now blowing up comes from the Dennis camp.

Second, Luka might have saved Rick's job. He's clearly not able to develop (point guard) talent. So you can get frustrated with a 21 year old prospect? Well, surprise! Again, this could be DSJ simply not meeting expectations (many reputable writers have sold their stock) or wanting out himself, but this adds to an already bad track report of Carlisle.

That being said, if they trade for a better fit, no biggie. But if we're just using Dennis to make a push for the playoffs this year, that would be truly horrible. I'd also want to unload Wes in the process. He's the perfect package with a young asset as expiring. You could still bring him back as vet min next year if you do so much love him. The other guy is obviously Powell, but might be harder to unload because he has that player option next year.

Trade season for the Mavs has officially begun...
Old 01-15-2019, 02:30 AM   #112
j0Shi
Diamond Member

https://twitter.com/TheSteinLine/sta...29143933321217

Quote:
One whisper making the rounds: Marc Gasol can become a free agent at season's and, amid a growing belief around the league that he will indeed exercise that option, Memphis could be moved to explore trading Gasol now rather than face the threat of losing him without compensation
Old 01-15-2019, 03:15 AM   #113
Underdog

Memphis makes no sense -- Gasol is on the wrong side of 30 and DSJ doesn't fit with Conley.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:18 AM   #114
Underdog

Locked On Mavericks Podcast: The Mavs are escalating discussions on a Dennis Smith Jr. trade, and so are we
https://www.mavsmoneyball.com/2019/1...ericks-podcast

Sounds like Dennis might be forcing his way out due to disinterest in his new role: "Can you play defense and not have the ball in your hands?"

Last edited by Underdog; 01-15-2019 at 03:19 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 03:53 AM   #115
j0Shi
Diamond Member

Finished the podcast minutes ago as well and what they say makes tons of sense. Weird silence when Nick brought up that tweet mentioning the Cuban mixtape comments and whether they might have been a shot at DSJ.

Other than that, pretty much what I was thinking. Dennis seeking a bigger role and who would blame him. We're obviously not getting Beal. So best we can hope for is probably Gordon from Orlando. Would Dennis + Wes + picks do it?
Old 01-15-2019, 05:08 AM   #116
turin
Platinum Member

turin is a splendid one to beholdturin is a splendid one to beholdturin is a splendid one to beholdturin is a splendid one to beholdturin is a splendid one to beholdturin is a splendid one to beholdturin is a splendid one to beholdturin is a splendid one to beholdturin is a splendid one to beholdturin is a splendid one to beholdturin is a splendid one to behold

I'm not quite sure yet where I come down on this. DSJ is young and has a very nice physical skill set. He's pretty raw developmental-wise considering that he had iirc an injury in high school and then he was one and done in college. There is a lot left for him to work on, and I think he's made some nice progress this year on the defensive end as well as shooting 3's. Having said that, I've never been a fan of Carlisle combined with young players. He's never struck me as having the desire or temperament to work with and develop them. If it's DSJ wanting out, there's not much that can be done to salvage the situation unless a change in head coach would change things, but I seriously doubt that's going to happen.

I've got my popcorn, so I'm just going to sit back and watch this play out
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 05:24 AM   #117
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

I just can't get over the coincidence of Bamba being out with an injury at the same time DSJ is. And this bombshell was dropped on the day that AG is eligible to be traded. Idk what the deal is but to me it's more of a matter of when not if a deal gets done.

Last edited by Bryan_Wilson; 01-15-2019 at 05:25 AM.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:27 AM   #118
j0Shi
Diamond Member

Quote:
I just can't get over the coincidence of Bamba being out with an injury at the same time DSJ is. And this bombshell was dropped a day before AG is able to be traded. Idk what the deal is but to me it's more of a matter of when not if a deal gets done.
I'm not sure I'm a fan of a Bamba / DSJ swap. Would be all-in on AG if possible / available.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:32 AM   #119
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

The Magic are not trading Gordon for a package around DSJ.

DSJ sucks too much right now and Gordon (even without taking the next step this season nso far) has a really really capfriendly deal, considering the cap raising to 109m in 2019 and 118m in 2020, then 16-18m for a legit third option is a bargain.

I also dont see a Bamba trade when the Magic may lose Vuce as UFA next summer. Then they just look stupid after a Bamba trade and then Vuce walks....

Last edited by sefant77; 01-15-2019 at 07:34 AM.
sefant77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 08:25 AM   #120
j0Shi
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
The Magic are not trading Gordon for a package around DSJ.

DSJ sucks too much right now and Gordon (even without taking the next step this season nso far) has a really really capfriendly deal, considering the cap raising to 109m in 2019 and 118m in 2020, then 16-18m for a legit third option is a bargain.

I also dont see a Bamba trade when the Magic may lose Vuce as UFA next summer. Then they just look stupid after a Bamba trade and then Vuce walks....
Gordon would be a best-case scenario for sure. Don't disagree with you, but on the other hand Magic are super stacked in the frontcourt and super thin at PG. Plus they are going nowhere as currently constructed, even in the horrible East.

Others already suggested they should sell high on Vuc and tank. Deal Gordon to the Mavs, rebuild around DSJ / Bamba / Isaac and walk into the next summer with another lottery pick and tons of cap space.

Wes + DSJ for Gordon works financially, but I doubt that'll do for the Magic. You would either have to attach picks (which we can't do because we traded for Luka?) or take on the contract of Mozgov or Fournier.

Last edited by j0Shi; 01-15-2019 at 08:29 AM.