Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 01-31-2019, 05:49 PM   #1
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default DeAndre Jordan & Wesley Matthews Appreciation Thread

Might as well combine this one...

I liked Jordan, but this was always going to be a one-year rental. Loved to watch him play, would have been happy to have him back, but it is what it is.

Wes, on the other hand, was the TANK COMMANDER who helped land us Luka Doncic -- I will forever be grateful for his contributions.
Old 01-31-2019, 05:54 PM   #2
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Tank commander Wes is a meme for life. DJ, honestly, who cares. Just another center rental.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:55 PM   #3
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

Wes was a great teammate, locker room guy, and I'm very sure off the court real life person. He was overpaid for what he delivered but it's not his fault. If anything, he literally gave too much effort during games trying to help the team in any way possible. I hope he gets a good buyout and signs with the Warriors and gets a ring.

DJ was good for the partial year he was here and gave us more rebounds than we've ever seen. Good luck and wouldn't mind him coming back next year for the right price.
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 05:56 PM   #4
Skywalker
Platinum Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

ty mr. commander

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:02 PM   #5
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely sad to see Jordan leave, even if he proved to be more reputation on the court than reality. Rebounded and dunked for days, but he struggled defensively and with aggressive passing for sure... Sure love getting the Unicorn, but we're going to miss that rebounding as it's sure not a strength of Porzingis. Gonna be lean times in Dallas I fear until he's fully back healthy, and I fear we've already won too much to avoid giving our pick to Atlanta. Guess we'll see over the next couple of months... Good day for sure, but bittersweet too. As for Wes, man, I can't tell you how glad I am he's not a Maverick anymore, but I fear we got his offensive clone right back (black hole more often than not, self confidence reserved only for Jordan, etc) on a longer term.

Last edited by Male30Dan; 01-31-2019 at 06:17 PM.
Male30Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:06 PM   #6
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Jordan was the best rebounding center we've ever had. Only two who came close were Damp and Tarp. Seemed like a really positive guy. I just couldn't stand his defense or mental lapses.

I defended Matthews more than anyone, but I'm glad he is gone. I don't think anything was his fault-- he played his butt off out there and brought good energy. He just never recovered from his Achilles injury and was always a step slow. Rick asked him to be Jordan on offense and Gary Payton on defense and he just couldn't. I still think he could do the 3 part of 3/D. His Achilles just slowed him too much to do the defense half of things.
Old 01-31-2019, 06:08 PM   #7
thewizard

thewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to all

Good riddance
thewizard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 06:40 PM   #8
dirt_dobber
Platinum Member

dirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant future

Mavs have put a chair against the door - of him coming back.
dirt_dobber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:33 PM   #9
turin
Platinum Member

turin is a splendid one to beholdturin is a splendid one to beholdturin is a splendid one to beholdturin is a splendid one to beholdturin is a splendid one to beholdturin is a splendid one to beholdturin is a splendid one to beholdturin is a splendid one to beholdturin is a splendid one to beholdturin is a splendid one to beholdturin is a splendid one to behold

DJ had an infectious enthusiasm that I appreciated. He ran hot and cold. Always got boards, but I wish he'd put a hand up more often and play defense more. Depending upon the makeup of our team, I'm not opposed to him coming back next year, but we know what he is and isn't, so the starting 5 needs to account for that.

Wes.. Well, I've wanted him gone for so many years that this is more of a sigh of relief. He never did himself any favors trying to do too much. Hopefully, as he moves on, he'll find a better fit in an environment where he can pick his spots and have some success. I've never wished him ill. I just wanted him gone.

Last edited by turin; 01-31-2019 at 08:34 PM.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:54 PM   #10
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Idk about DJ but I surely will miss Wesley. Thanks nonetheless and good luck in NY!

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 09:31 PM   #11
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Jordan's rebounding wasn't worth his lack of effort which is saying a lot because the Mavs desperately needed his rebounding. Luka is such a good rebounder though that we're no longer terrible without Jordan.

Just can't stand players that don't give effort.

But hey, Wes's contract actually got us a superstar. So all the appreciation in the world!
Old 01-31-2019, 10:00 PM   #12
BPo001
Platinum Member

BPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant future

Thank you, DJ, for getting locked in a house and not signing with us the first time around. Without that we wouldn’t have 2 franchise players to build this franchise around.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:51 AM   #13
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

The Tank Commander has officially retired. He served faithfully and dutifully. We give you one final salute!

MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 12:13 PM   #14
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

"Take the ball, Tommy....!"
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:07 PM   #15
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Thank you, DJ, for getting locked in a house and not signing with us the first time around. Without that we wouldn’t have 2 franchise players to build this franchise around.
He actually joked about that recently, said we would have never landed Luka if he hadn't shafted us... Fitting that we traded him away for another franchise player.

Revenge is a dish best served cold, and I hear it's cold AF in NYC right now!
Old 02-01-2019, 09:17 PM   #16
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
He actually joked about that recently, said we would have never landed Luka if he hadn't shafted us... Fitting that we traded him away for another franchise player.

Revenge is a dish best served cold, and I hear it's cold AF in NYC right now!
He will play with his best buddy Durant next season in NY, he is going to be fine
sefant77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:25 PM   #17
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
He will play with his best buddy Durant next season in NY, he is going to be fine
If the Knicks don't waive him first so he doesn't mess up their tank job... I wouldn't be surprised if he finished out the season on a contender.
Old 02-01-2019, 09:26 PM   #18
BPo001
Platinum Member

BPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Just like he wanted to play with his BFF Parsons a few years ago?
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 12:57 PM   #19
Underdog

Zion gonna end up on a contender? Apparently these teams didn’t get the memo about Wes being a TANK COMMANDER...

@TheSteinLine: The Knicks are exploring the trade market for Wes Matthews before Thursday's 3 PM deadline, league sources say, but there are also several antsy suitors hoping Matthews makes it to the buyout market. Among them: Houston, Oklahoma City, Toronto, Philadelphia and, yes, Golden State
Old 02-04-2019, 01:32 PM   #20
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Just like he wanted to play with his BFF Parsons a few years ago?
Parsons pretended he was a BFF of DeAndre and the superduper recruiter. As usual full of himself.

Durant actually told in an interview that if he gets married DeAndre is going to be his best man.

But i also just read reports that DeAndre would like to return to LA before the deadline....

Last edited by sefant77; 02-04-2019 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-04-2019, 04:51 PM   #21
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Zion gonna end up on a contender? Apparently these teams didn’t get the memo about Wes being a TANK COMMANDER...

@TheSteinLine: The Knicks are exploring the trade market for Wes Matthews before Thursday's 3 PM deadline, league sources say, but there are also several antsy suitors hoping Matthews makes it to the buyout market. Among them: Houston, Oklahoma City, Toronto, Philadelphia and, yes, Golden State
I'm just glad he and Jordan aren't on the team anymore. Maybe it's just me, but the team seems infinitely more fun to watch.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:53 PM   #22
turin
Platinum Member

turin is a splendid one to beholdturin is a splendid one to beholdturin is a splendid one to beholdturin is a splendid one to beholdturin is a splendid one to beholdturin is a splendid one to beholdturin is a splendid one to beholdturin is a splendid one to beholdturin is a splendid one to beholdturin is a splendid one to beholdturin is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
I'm just glad he and Jordan aren't on the team anymore. Maybe it's just me, but the team seems infinitely more fun to watch.
I agree. With DJ, Wes, Barnes, and Powell, it was like playing Russian Roulette with 3 bullets in a 6-shooter. Now that DJ and Wes are gone, we're back down to just one in the chamber, so while things can still get very ugly, the likelihood of us killing ourselves has decreased dramatically. Having said that, NEVER underestimate the impact of ISO Man in the last 5 minutes. :-O
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:44 AM   #23
dongtouch

dongtouch is a jewel in the roughdongtouch is a jewel in the roughdongtouch is a jewel in the roughdongtouch is a jewel in the rough

https://youtu.be/ZCTebrztWzc

Not sure if this had been posted but I feel bad for these 3 guys, even DJ.
Despite being lazy on defence and at times stat padding a bit, I thought he had mostly had quite a positive impact on the team and looked to be very professional. DSJ also came back strong after a brief absence and Mathews tried hard all the time even though he’s not the same defender he was before the injury.
Them 3 certainly did not look happy to be there.
dongtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:56 AM   #24
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongtouch View Post

Despite being lazy on defence and at times stat padding a bit, I thought he had mostly had quite a positive impact on the team and looked to be very professional. DSJ also came back strong after a brief absence and Mathews tried hard all the time even though he’s not the same defender he was before the injury.
Well, they just lost a game. I'm sure it's been a hectic few days leading up to this but no one wants to lose on their debut even if they didn't know the system. No one envisions it that way. It's not like they left a contender to go to the leagues worst team. They were never part of our rebuild since the draft of Luka.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 10:58 AM   #25
sefant77
Guru

Couldnt care less if DSJ is happy there or not.

Wes/Jordan okay but its just 30 games for them anyway and then they have all the freedom in the world as UFA
Old 02-05-2019, 11:09 AM   #26
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongtouch View Post

None of THJ, Burke, or Lee looked particularly happy either. They're tired because of the hectic nature of being traded midseason.
Old 02-05-2019, 11:45 AM   #27
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
None of THJ, Burke, or Lee looked particularly happy either. They're tired because of the hectic nature of being traded midseason.
That's the crazy thing. They heard as they left practice.

Then they immediately had to fly out, sign paperwork, take physicals, meet the team, but also needed to find places to live and places to eat. That's pretty exhausting to do in addition to having to have practices and press conferences.
Old 02-06-2019, 10:54 AM   #28
saclare
Golden Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
That's the crazy thing. They heard as they left practice.

Then they immediately had to fly out, sign paperwork, take physicals, meet the team, but also needed to find places to live and places to eat. That's pretty exhausting to do in addition to having to have practices and press conferences.
Good points. I tend to have to remind myself of the human element in addition to the business sides of trades. Gotta be tough.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 11:55 AM   #29
sefant77
Guru

Yeah....but still, sitting in their new hotel room they are still able to do this all night long...

Old 02-07-2019, 02:51 PM   #30
Underdog

They can't even get TANKING right... SMFH.

@TheSteinLine: The Knicks plan to keep DeAndre Jordan but intend to grant Wes Matthews a buyout once the trade deadline passes, league sources say. Matthews is at the top of the buyout brigade with expected interest from Indiana, Golden State, Houston and maybe more.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:54 PM   #31
saclare
Golden Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:

@TheSteinLine: The Knicks plan to keep DeAndre Jordan but intend to grant Wes Matthews a buyout once the trade deadline passes, league sources say. Matthews is at the top of the buyout brigade with expected interest from Indiana, Golden State, Houston and maybe more.
Thinking they may value DAJ's mentorship to Mitchell Robinson, who has a LOT of promise but very much needs to learn more in the way of playing the game smarter.

That's the only angle I've got.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:54 PM   #32
saclare
Golden Member

@ShamsCharania: Wesley Matthews will agree to a contract buyout with the New York Knicks, and the Indiana Pacers are frontrunners to sign Matthews, league sources tell @TheAthleticNBA @WatchStadium.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:55 PM   #33
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:

Pacers frontrunners to sign Matthews per Shams.
Old 02-07-2019, 02:59 PM   #34
Underdog

Quote:
Pacers frontrunners to sign Matthews per Shams.
Just noticed they're the #4 seed in the East... I had no idea they were even a playoff team. The East is trash.