Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-10-2017, 12:06 PM   #4721
Melonhead
Diamond Member

Melonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
I usually enjoy Cowherd, but every now and then he says something so outrageously stupid that I have to assume he's just trolling and doesn't actually believe it. This is definitely one of those moments. I love how he detracts from Dirk by saying he's "pure finesse" as if that's a bad thing, or as if that means Dirk's accomplishments are somehow not worth as much. Someone might want to inform Cowherd that Kareem, Magic and Bird were also finesse players, and the modern NBA is a completely finesse league.

EDIT: I'm glad Nick Wright was there to talk some sense to Cowherd, but I think even he actually underrated Dirk a little bit. Dirk is better than Dr. J. No question.
That was my initial thought too, so stupid he doesnt truly believe it. Cowherd kept harping Dirk's defense and Nick stopped him with stop acting like we measure greatness on defense otherwise Ben Wallace and Tony Allen would be all time.

The only thing that I think will never make mainstream and how good Dirk actually was on defense 1 on 1, and his ability to get steals.

Nick sold Dirk a tad short but it was nice to see the graphic on the screen of a real tv personality having Dirk top 16 ahead of Wade/Garnett.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:32 PM   #4722
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
That was my initial thought too, so stupid he doesnt truly believe it. Cowherd kept harping Dirk's defense and Nick stopped him with stop acting like we measure greatness on defense otherwise Ben Wallace and Tony Allen would be all time.

The only thing that I think will never make mainstream and how good Dirk actually was on defense 1 on 1, and his ability to get steals.

Nick sold Dirk a tad short but it was nice to see the graphic on the screen of a real tv personality having Dirk top 16 ahead of Wade/Garnett.
All the old school guys like 70's and 80's wouldn't know what to do with Dirk. Pure domination of those eras.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 12:49 PM   #4723
Thespiralgoeson
Diamond Member

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Dirk was a more than solid defensive player. Better than average. This myth of him as a defensive turnstyle came from his first two or three years in the league playing Nellie ball, and that stigma just stuck with him. He was certainly no worse than a lot of the other all-time greats.

Magic never made an all-defensive team either. I that means guess he's only top 50-60.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:53 PM   #4724
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Coward getting owned on his own show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZzqs4uIzn8
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:26 AM   #4725
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
Coward getting owned on his own show: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZzqs4uIzn8
So many amazingly bad arguments coming from him. He said no one wants to draft, no one is looking for the next Dirk Nowitzki... Are you freakin' kidding me? There wasn't a player that GMs wanted to find the successor of more than they did with Dirk. What a blatantly revisionist argument from him.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 02:44 PM   #4726
Bryan_Wilson
Platinum Member

Bryan_Wilson has a brilliant futureBryan_Wilson has a brilliant futureBryan_Wilson has a brilliant futureBryan_Wilson has a brilliant futureBryan_Wilson has a brilliant futureBryan_Wilson has a brilliant futureBryan_Wilson has a brilliant futureBryan_Wilson has a brilliant futureBryan_Wilson has a brilliant futureBryan_Wilson has a brilliant futureBryan_Wilson has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
Top 60 is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. And Everyone always compares KG to Dirk... And usually people take KG because of defense. but-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTLE_9clckw

at 3:05 Chauncey talks about his fav Dirk memory. Funny... that defense sure did KG a lot of good.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 04:12 PM   #4727
Thespiralgoeson
Diamond Member

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post
Top 60 is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. And Everyone always compares KG to Dirk... And usually people take KG because of defense. but-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTLE_9clckw

at 3:05 Chauncey talks about his fav Dirk memory. Funny... that defense sure did KG a lot of good.
It's so ridiculous that again, I question whether he actually believes it or not or he's just trolling.

Dirk has a league MVP and Finals MVP. Only 14 other players have done that. That alone puts him in the top 20 as far as I'm concerned.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:28 PM   #4728
Bryan_Wilson
Platinum Member

Bryan_Wilson has a brilliant futureBryan_Wilson has a brilliant futureBryan_Wilson has a brilliant futureBryan_Wilson has a brilliant futureBryan_Wilson has a brilliant futureBryan_Wilson has a brilliant futureBryan_Wilson has a brilliant futureBryan_Wilson has a brilliant futureBryan_Wilson has a brilliant futureBryan_Wilson has a brilliant futureBryan_Wilson has a brilliant future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CoLYG8rKVA
"Could prime Dirk save the Mavericks" Guy puts prime 95 overall Dirk onto this Mavs team and simulates the season... the answer? Yes... and then no? just a fun video for lolz.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:33 PM   #4729
Bryan_Wilson
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
It's so ridiculous that again, I question whether he actually believes it or not or he's just trolling.

Dirk has a league MVP and Finals MVP. Only 14 other players have done that. That alone puts him in the top 20 as far as I'm concerned.
He has to be trolling, seriously. He's gone full skip bayless and is giving his full effort at being a shock doc and passing it off as a "hot take" sports opinion.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:51 PM   #4730
Melonhead
Diamond Member

Melonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant future

Nba guys know Dirk over KG.

Cowherd couldnt stop bringing up KG 1st team defense. When do we all of a sudden give a flying f about 1st team defense when were using that solely to make an argument over one of the greatest scorers of all time.

I watched a video afterwards of Speak for Yourself with Herd, Whitlock, Broussard and Cris Carter. It was a joke. Only whitlock was beside himself the way they argued that Mavs title was illegitimate.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:28 AM   #4731
Thespiralgoeson
Diamond Member

Quote:

Cowherd couldnt stop bringing up KG 1st team defense. When do we all of a sudden give a flying f about 1st team defense when were using that solely to make an argument over one of the greatest scorers of all time.
Again, Magic never made a single all-defensive team. By Cowherd's logic, Magic should be nowhere near the top 10.

Quote:
I watched a video afterwards of Speak for Yourself with Herd, Whitlock, Broussard and Cris Carter. It was a joke. Only whitlock was beside himself the way they argued that Mavs title was illegitimate.
I specifically avoided watching that video because I figured it would piss me off. It sounds like I was right.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:15 PM   #4732
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Kevin Garnett 2002 NBA All-Defensive First Team
Playoffs Game 1 Wolves/Mavs: Dirk scores 30
Playoffs Game 2 Wolves/Mavs: Dirk scores 31
Playoffs Game 3 Wolves/Mavs: Dirk scores 39

Where was the defense?
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:09 AM   #4733
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

What good is first team all defense when it doesn't show up against the the most explosive scoring PF in the game? This board was fun back in those days...
Old 03-28-2017, 11:38 AM   #4734
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
David Aldridge: "If this is how your career ends, with the one championship and all the points, are you comfortable?"

Dirk Nowitzki: "I came into this league when I was 20, and I didnt know if I was going to make it. I wasnt the most confident guy, like you see these young guys walking in here now, thinking the league owes them. I was not like that. I was worried. My first year, when things werent going well, I was even thinking about going back to Europe. You have doubts in your head."
http://www.nba.com/article/2017/03/2...dirk-nowitzki/

Its the Dirk Nowitzki effect on their offense. As a defense, you absolutely overreact to every situation hes
in -- or even that hes not in -- and then you lose all sight of your team defensive rules." --Erik Spoelstra
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:16 AM   #4735
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

@MFollowill:

Its the Dirk Nowitzki effect on their offense. As a defense, you absolutely overreact to every situation hes
in -- or even that hes not in -- and then you lose all sight of your team defensive rules." --Erik Spoelstra

Last edited by Underdog; 04-13-2017 at 12:16 AM.
Old 04-13-2017, 12:30 AM   #4736
Melonhead
Diamond Member

Dirk needs to avg 17.6 ppg @ 70 games next year to move to #5 all time. LONGGGG shot. If he hadnt gotten hurt early in the season, I think he wouldve done it.
Old 04-13-2017, 06:34 PM   #4737
Underdog

@EarlKSneed: Dirk Nowitzki says he will return for a 20th season with the @dallasmavs.

@EarlKSneed: Dirk Nowitzki: "I think my body will tell me when it's time. ... I'm going to play next year as hard as I can."

@EarlKSneed: Dirk on chasing Wilt on the scoring list: "I always said basketball is supposed to be fun. I'm not going to keep going to chase a record."

@EarlKSneed: Dirk Nowitzki: "If my body tells me next year just to go, I'm not going to play another year just to move up the scoring list."

@EarlKSneed: Dirk: "It's still amazing for me to be in the 30K club with all those amazing names. That was my emotional highlight for the season."

Last edited by Underdog; 04-13-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-13-2017, 07:03 PM   #4738
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

I thought, Dirk would hang it.

( In case, dirk will appear in a radio show, can put the podcast url here ? )

Last edited by GermanDunk; 04-13-2017 at 07:05 PM.
GermanDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 07:12 PM   #4739
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanDunk View Post
I thought, Dirk would hang it.
The only thing Dirk is hanging...

Old 04-13-2017, 07:16 PM   #4740
GermanDunk
Diamond Member

GermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond reputeGermanDunk has a reputation beyond repute

lol

That is why you got ejected. shopping your balls on our dirk

Last edited by GermanDunk; 04-13-2017 at 07:17 PM.
GermanDunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
<clutch tagging>, 12-15 for 48 points, 3/25m - wow!, clutch nowitzki, clutchwitzki, dir30k, dirk, dirk = clutch...again, dirk goes to 11, dirk is my religion, dirk pwns ur face 4ever!!, dirk tea baggzz nba!!!!!, gay for dirk!!!, his clutchness, his hairness ?, offthemarkus1234, playoff clutch, return of the quack!, santa dirk, sir ghost face drillah, smc rulz, thekidsarenotallright, top-10 all time scorer