Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: What will the result of the game be?
Mavs win by 20+ 0 0%
Mavs win by 10-19 0 0%
Mavs win by 1-9 4 100.00%
Mavs lose by 1-9 0 0%
Mavs lose by 10-19 0 0%
Mavs lose by 20+ 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-10-2020, 09:22 PM   #81
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
I think he waited too long. Iím not sure why Maxi needed to come out when KP came in.
I think he was trying to get him some rest. He clearly wasn't going to keep riding with Boban to see if he could turn things around even when he didn't have another big on the bench to go to. I don't agree with that, but that's what he chose, and I think Maxi came out for a breather, so he could have both KP and Maxi on the floor at the same time. Honestly, with the way everybody was playing, I don't know that it would've mattered one way or the other. Just another ugly meltdown. At this point, I just hope it's not in their heads. That's the problem with losing so many of these winnable games early in the year. At some point it gets in your head, and it's no longer a growth opportunity but rather a puckered butt event that becomes a negative. :-(
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-10-2020, 09:23 PM   #82
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsjunkie View Post
How about a coach from San Antonio's tree, or the Lakers tree, or the Clippers tree, or Toronto's tree, anybody but our soft ass defense. And I'm not sure that KP will be much better honestly.
You have a 7'3 guy who likes hanging out 5 feet beyond the 3-point line. Not worth being 7'3 if that's all you're gonna do. Seriously, what's the purpose of having a 7'3 guy if all he does is hang out there? I want my tallest guy under or near the basket dominating guys.

I personally think that the KP pick was foolish. And all of our fan-base keeps wanting us to get more soft offensive players. Fuck that, we need doggs on this team. We need doggs to get down and dirty... This offseason will come off as extremely important, and I don't anticipate this team next season. I hope all are gone or moved to the bench except Luka and possibly KP.
Lol. The KP trade was robbery. Awful take.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:25 PM   #83
LukaThaDon

LukaThaDon is a glorious beacon of lightLukaThaDon is a glorious beacon of lightLukaThaDon is a glorious beacon of lightLukaThaDon is a glorious beacon of lightLukaThaDon is a glorious beacon of lightLukaThaDon is a glorious beacon of lightLukaThaDon is a glorious beacon of light

We won 9 playoff series between 2000-2009, and 4 between 2010-2019 all in 2011.
LukaThaDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:28 PM   #84
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
I think he was trying to get him some rest. He clearly wasn't going to keep riding with Boban to see if he could turn things around even when he didn't have another big on the bench to go to. I don't agree with that, but that's what he chose, and I think Maxi came out for a breather, so he could have both KP and Maxi on the floor at the same time. Honestly, with the way everybody was playing, I don't know that it would've mattered one way or the other. Just another ugly meltdown. At this point, I just hope it's not in their heads. That's the problem with losing so many of these winnable games early in the year. At some point it gets in your head, and it's no longer a growth opportunity but rather a puckered butt event that becomes a negative. :-(
Boban was being exposed on defense. Maxi only played 31 minutes to KPís 38. I guess Carlisle was thinking about the minutes Maxi will need to play tomorrow, when KP sits and if WCS is out again.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:28 PM   #85
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
How about a coach from San Antonio's tree, or the Lakers tree, or the Clippers tree, or Toronto's tree, anybody but our soft ass defense. And I'm not sure that KP will be much better honestly.
You have a 7'3 guy who likes hanging out 5 feet beyond the 3-point line. Not worth being 7'3 if that's all you're gonna do. Seriously, what's the purpose of having a 7'3 guy if all he does is hang out there? I want my tallest guy under or near the basket dominating guys.

I personally think that the KP pick was foolish. And all of our fan-base keeps wanting us to get more soft offensive players. Fuck that, we need doggs on this team. We need doggs to get down and dirty... This offseason will come off as extremely important, and I don't anticipate this team next season. I hope all are gone or moved to the bench except Luka and possibly KP.
Having KP hanging around the hoop screws up the spacing for Luka to drive. The game has gravitated away from bigs in the post. You would rather have Dennis Smith Jr and our first round pick than KP and THJ?

Regardless we are we ahead of schedule on where we thought this team would be when the season began. Itís frustrating because we have seen how good this team can be, and when they lay an egg like tonight it seems like they are underachieving. Hopefully we get healthy here soon and can get a run together before the playoffs start.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:29 PM   #86
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

This is probably the most disappointing loss in the last 2 weeks. Effort, execution, energy were all pretty pathetic at the end. I was going to rewatch it, but I'll pass. Time to just move on. I hope the team does the same. LOL
Old 03-10-2020, 09:29 PM   #87
LukaThaDon

LukaThaDon is a glorious beacon of lightLukaThaDon is a glorious beacon of lightLukaThaDon is a glorious beacon of lightLukaThaDon is a glorious beacon of lightLukaThaDon is a glorious beacon of lightLukaThaDon is a glorious beacon of lightLukaThaDon is a glorious beacon of light

7 Spurs scored double figures to our 4.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:30 PM   #88
turin
Diamond Member

Last edited by turin; 03-10-2020 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:34 PM   #89
turin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
Boban was being exposed on defense. Maxi only played 31 minutes to KPís 38. I guess Carlisle was thinking about the minutes Maxi will need to play tomorrow, when KP sits and if WCS is out again.
Yeah, B2B for Maxi. Great point. I didn't think about that. I hope WCS can play. If it's Maxi and 4 smalls all day tomorrow, I'd hate to be Maxi. That's going to be a long, ugly game in the paint imo without help.

Edit: I think it was the back to back strips of Boban by Aldridge that was what did him in with RC. The guy only gets 3-4 minutes every 4 games or so. I'd have let him play and given him some time to see if he could make some adjustments. RC was way too trigger happy with as short as his bench was on bigs imo.
Old 03-10-2020, 09:47 PM   #90
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Defense was pretty garbage in the second half, unfortunately, making our 13 point lead disappear in moments. Oh well, on to the next one.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:50 PM   #91
Dallas41

Dallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukaThaDon View Post
We won 9 playoff series between 2000-2009, and 4 between 2010-2019 all in 2011.
Yeah I should have specified in the last 10 years

We have been 1st round exits year after year
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 09:58 PM   #92
LukaThaDon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budapest Maverick View Post
Defense was pretty garbage in the second half, unfortunately, making our 13 point lead disappear in moments. Oh well, on to the next one.
Bad defensive team + 28th in clutch-time effiency on offense = recipe for disaster
Old 03-10-2020, 10:34 PM   #93
tgfan
Golden Member

tgfan is a name known to alltgfan is a name known to alltgfan is a name known to alltgfan is a name known to alltgfan is a name known to alltgfan is a name known to alltgfan is a name known to alltgfan is a name known to alltgfan is a name known to alltgfan is a name known to alltgfan is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Nationally televised game. Major injuries.

Injury report
Doncic - sprained right wrist/bruised jaw - questionable
WCS - illness - out
MCG - illness - out
DFS - hip - questionable
Curry - ankle - out
Brunson - shoulder - out
Powell - surgery - out

Walker - leg - questionable
Aldridge - shoulder - out
Murray - calf - out
Bellinelli - out
Poeltl - out
Aldridge and Bellinelli sure looked good for guys who were out! I'm so sick of the Mavs losing these games down the stretch.
tgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:39 PM   #94
tgfan
Golden Member

tgfan is a name known to alltgfan is a name known to alltgfan is a name known to alltgfan is a name known to alltgfan is a name known to alltgfan is a name known to alltgfan is a name known to alltgfan is a name known to alltgfan is a name known to alltgfan is a name known to alltgfan is a name known to all

Quote:
I don't think we're a good defensive team at all. We don't put our hands up, we don't get up in the offender, I just don't like our philosophy. We need a true defensive coach, along with players. Why is Cuban so married to RC? I don't get it.
Lol, the Mavs are Charmin soft. And Rick doesn't seem to care.
tgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 10:40 PM   #95
mavsjunkie
Golden Member

mavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to allmavsjunkie is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Having KP hanging around the hoop screws up the spacing for Luka to drive. The game has gravitated away from bigs in the post. You would rather have Dennis Smith Jr and our first round pick than KP and THJ?

Regardless we are we ahead of schedule on where we thought this team would be when the season began. Itís frustrating because we have seen how good this team can be, and when they lay an egg like tonight it seems like they are underachieving. Hopefully we get healthy here soon and can get a run together before the playoffs start.
The problem I have is the same problem I have with the Cowboys. NO DEFENSE. We have coaches that love offense and it goes nowhere. When is the Dallas area going to fall in love with defense? We can score with the best of them, but we can't dig down and stop anyone.

It's a boring concept but that's what wins in the play offs. KP does not just play out of the lane, he plays way back beyond the 3. Plus I hate that our guys skip games because we're nicked up. We are not a title contending team because we just don't have the mental toughness and the makeup of a title contending team. Lebron plays every game. But we sit someone because they have a toenail loose. And mainly I'm frustrated with Cubon's love for RC.

And for the other poster that mentioned the Knicks got robbed, I don't see it that way if we don't win a title.
Old 03-10-2020, 10:50 PM   #96
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And for the other poster that mentioned the Knicks got robbed, I don't see it that way if we don't win a title.
You can't possibly be serious?
Old 03-10-2020, 11:00 PM   #97
FollowedKPtodallas

FollowedKPtodallas is a jewel in the roughFollowedKPtodallas is a jewel in the roughFollowedKPtodallas is a jewel in the roughFollowedKPtodallas is a jewel in the roughFollowedKPtodallas is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
The problem I have is the same problem I have with the Cowboys. NO DEFENSE. We have coaches that love offense and it goes nowhere. When is the Dallas area going to fall in love with defense? We can score with the best of them, but we can't dig down and stop anyone.

It's a boring concept but that's what wins in the play offs. KP does not just play out of the lane, he plays way back beyond the 3. Plus I hate that our guys skip games because we're nicked up. We are not a title contending team because we just don't have the mental toughness and the makeup of a title contending team. Lebron plays every game. But we sit someone because they have a toenail loose. And mainly I'm frustrated with Cubon's love for RC.

Dude are you for real? This is year 1. They will be fine.
FollowedKPtodallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 11:38 PM   #98
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

At least we are ahead of schedule.

Doncic is going to have to play defense at some point. He is banged up and frustrated, but he needs to contribute on both ends of the floor.

Clearly we were going for the win tomorrow instead of tonight.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 11:41 PM   #99
Melonhead
Diamond Member

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
I never said they would, but to say they are going to end up the 7 seed with 17 games left is a pretty ridiculous statement. Anything can happen.
Of course anything can happen. Not anything will though. Mavs have been playing .500 ball for awhile now with wins over only two playoff teams Pacers and 76ers since Jan. They cant even beat the bad teams.

Mavs would need to go 10-6 to finish the season and Rockets or Thunder would have to go 8-10. On the rare chance that happens, Mavs havent had a stretch of 10-6 since very early in the season. In the last week, losses to Bulls and Spurs, and blew a lead to Pacers late. No evidence suggests they will magically turn a switch and finish 10-6.
Old 03-10-2020, 11:50 PM   #100
Melonhead
Diamond Member

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
This is probably the most disappointing loss in the last 2 weeks. Effort, execution, energy were all pretty pathetic at the end. I was going to rewatch it, but I'll pass. Time to just move on. I hope the team does the same. LOL
Idk man losing to the Bulls is some sad shit
Old 03-10-2020, 11:57 PM   #101
Dallas41

Dallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post

Doncic is going to have to play defense at some point. He is banged up and frustrated, but he needs to contribute on both ends of the floor.

I didn't want to cross those lines because I know how sensitive some guys are on here

But I agree Luka at some point is going to have to man up and put forth an effort on the defensive end of the floor.

He's big and strong enough to take on some of these big wing players

A guy like P.George or D.Mitchell for example aren't quick players so luka is going to have to body up with those guys and move his feet at some point to help elevate this team late in games to get stops

I'd hate to see his career be known as a defensive liability

D.Stevenson wasn't very quick but he knew how to play angles and body up people

But I think the mavs under RC will always be a poor defensive team until they get someone like d.casey on the bench again who stresses execution on that end of the floor

This is why I consider a guy like nick nurse a more rounded coach than RC
Old 03-11-2020, 12:13 AM   #102
Dallas41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Of course anything can happen. Not anything will though. Mavs have been playing .500 ball for awhile now with wins over only two playoff teams Pacers and 76ers since Jan. They cant even beat the bad teams.

Mavs would need to go 10-6 to finish the season and Rockets or Thunder would have to go 8-10. On the rare chance that happens, Mavs havent had a stretch of 10-6 since very early in the season. In the last week, losses to Bulls and Spurs, and blew a lead to Pacers late. No evidence suggests they will magically turn a switch and finish 10-6.
I would like to think that the mavs could pass up the rockets or Thunder but the truth is this team has wasted so many opportunities not just vs playoff teams but vs bad teams in general that I just don't see them playing anything but .500 ball the rest of the way.

You can't even trust this team to hold a 10 point lead vs anyone

They are arguably one of the worst closing teams in all the NBA

My biggest hope is that Denver somehow captures that 2nd seed over the clippers because I think the mavs could at least extend them to 6 or 7 games

But that's better than watching a 1st round sweep vs the clippers which I consider a waist of time having to watch a series that would be over in one week
Old 03-11-2020, 01:03 AM   #103
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post

Luka has been lazy in many aspects of his game lately. Movement without the ball, defense, fts, etc. It's painfully obvious, and I hope it's mostly just due to injuries. The pouting needs to end though.
Old 03-11-2020, 01:19 AM   #104
FreshJive
Diamond Member

Quote:
If the Mavs didn't win the title in 2011, would you say that the Bucks did not get robbed when they traded Dirk for Tractor Traylor, or was that a pretty good trade, because the Mavs did not win a title?
Old 03-11-2020, 01:45 AM   #105
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
I didn't want to cross those lines because I know how sensitive some guys are on here

But I agree Luka at some point is going to have to man up and put forth an effort on the defensive end of the floor.

A guy like P.George or D.Mitchell for example aren't quick players so luka is going to have to body up with those guys and move his feet at some point to help elevate this team late in games to get stops

But I think the mavs under RC will always be a poor defensive team until they get someone like d.casey on the bench again who stresses execution on that end of the floor

I don't like to cross the line either, the kid is really fn good and shockingly it's the only piece that he needs to be a complete player. Well, Free Throws also. But still.

He could use his intuition and knowledge about setting up opponents on offense and implement that into his defense. If you can't win physically then beat them in chess.

Old 03-11-2020, 03:01 AM   #106
FollowedKPtodallas

FollowedKPtodallas is a jewel in the roughFollowedKPtodallas is a jewel in the roughFollowedKPtodallas is a jewel in the roughFollowedKPtodallas is a jewel in the roughFollowedKPtodallas is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post

Paul george is one of the best wing defenders in the league. So yea that's not a guy to bring up.

I am happy if Luka can just be an average defender. He has so much on his shoulders on offense asking him to be an above average defender is asking too much. Also his size and physical strength that helps him so much on offense hurts him on defense against smaller quicker guards.
FollowedKPtodallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 08:12 AM   #107
SMC0007
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowedKPtodallas View Post
Paul george is one of the best wing defenders in the league. So yea that's not a guy to bring up.

I am happy if Luka can just be an average defender. He has so much on his shoulders on offense asking him to be an above average defender is asking too much. Also his size and physical strength that helps him so much on offense hurts him on defense against smaller quicker guards.
Well he needs to be an average defender more consistently then. Standing around and getting cut on, not fighting thru screens and general hustle goes a long way. It looks like an effort thing and not an able to do it thing.

Old 03-11-2020, 08:31 AM   #108
SMC0007
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Luka has been lazy in many aspects of his game lately. Movement without the ball, defense, fts, etc. It's painfully obvious, and I hope it's mostly just due to injuries. The pouting needs to end though.
Yea. The frustration of non calls and nagging soreness is bothering him. Also, Teams are getting away with swiping down on him and if he doesn't adjust his patterns in the paint I don't see how he can heal his hand/wrist. It's going to keep happening. The pouting and standing around not helping on D needs to end for sure. When he got blocked / stripped by Johnson, he stood there with his hands up in protest to the ref while we went back to defend 4 on 5 and Belli drains a 3.

Old 03-11-2020, 09:57 AM   #109
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Luk at some point does need to up his effort and improve his technique defensively. In his defense, he's hurting. And he expends so much energy on offense.

We really desperately need another player that can create late in games and take some pressure off of Luka as a secondary ball handler. THJ isn't quite it, but would be a fabulous 4th option. Seth isn't either but he certainly helps. Brunson ain't it. DFS can hardly dribble. Non of our guys can make a team pay for overplaying or selling out to stop Luka late in games when teams close out hard on 3s.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 10:54 AM   #110
saclare
Golden Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Luka is the type of player you hope can show up in big defensive stop type scenarios. The hope would be for him to develop into a guy who can defend for much longer stretches. We have to remember his overall usage is high right now since he is so good on offense and facilitating. Kind of hard for a guy to go all out on defense and go 100% the entire time he's on the court. I'd be ecstatic if Luka could develop into a player somewhere between Harden and LeBron, which he already is...but hopefully closer to LeBron on the defensive front.

Last edited by saclare; 03-11-2020 at 10:54 AM.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 12:49 PM   #111
tap2390
Golden Member

tap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant future

Was behind the Mavs bench last night, some observations:

1) I have to keep reminding myself that Luka is young. His on-court demeanor comes across as immature at times, and I can see why it could potentially irk referees. Luka is one of those players who is going to get fouled every single drive, but he can't continue to complain every time, stare down refs, and otherwise let this stuff get in his head.

2) This loss is primarily a result of two things:

Porzingis not hitting looks he usually hits (second game in a row, my guess is he's hurt), and our collectively poor perimeter defense.

Porzingis consistently has to man the paint because our guys just kept getting burnt off the dribble. While he is by far our best help defender, the unfortunate consequence of funneling guys to KP is that it leaves KP's man open outside the paint. This can't happen when both Lyles and Aldridge are hitting their perimeter jumpers.

3) THJ is becoming one of my favorite players. The guy plays with a lot of quiet fire and intensity. He is going to continue to get better, and if he opts out he absolutely deserves $20 million a year from us.

4) We lost a lot of momentum at the beginning of the fourth when Boban got stripped twice in the post by Aldridge. Those two plays alone were a 9 point swing in the Spurs favor. Boban is simply too limited. He's a great person, but we'd be better off with Salah out there.

Last edited by tap2390; 03-11-2020 at 12:50 PM.
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 12:59 PM   #112
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
4) We lost a lot of momentum at the beginning of the fourth when Boban got stripped twice in the post by Aldridge. Those two plays alone were a 9 point swing in the Spurs favor. Boban is simply too limited. He's a great person, but we'd be better off with Salah out there.
Take that back! Boban is perfection according to everyone on D-M.com. He can do no wrong.
Old 03-11-2020, 04:56 PM   #113
SMC0007
Diamond Member

Boban schmoban.

DFS is a baller. I really like his progress.

We settled for perimeter shots too easily last night.