Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 11-06-2018, 06:54 PM   #1
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default (Mavs specific) NBA draft 2019

Mavs retain their pick if they draft 1-5

Totally unrealistic, right?

right?

But just in case...
Old 11-06-2018, 06:55 PM   #2
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/1...l-team-pairing

Quote:
Dallas Mavericks: Zion Williamson (Forward/Center, Duke)
Jonathan Tjarks: The most hyped prospect in last year’s draft and the most hyped prospect in this one could be a match made in heaven. Luka Doncic needs a young pick-and-roll partner in Dallas, and he would rack up a lot of assists throwing lobs to Zion. The Mavs brought in DeAndre Jordan to be that guy this season, but he’s not a long-term answer at the position. Zion offers youth and out-of-this-world athleticism, as well as more perimeter-oriented skills like ballhandling and passing.

Zion and Doncic would be a fascinating pair of bookends in Rick Carlisle’s multiple ball handler offensive system, and their development together would make Dallas one of the most captivating teams in the league. Doncic played well as a rookie, but there just isn’t enough talent around him for the team to be relevant. Dallas will get its first-round pick next season only if it’s in the top five, but it’s certainly playing like a team who could be in the running for a high lottery pick. As a Mavs fan, I’m feeling greedy. Let’s make this happen.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:14 AM   #3
burner2014

burner2014 will become famous soon enough

I think the Mavs should go for the TOP 5 Pick and if possible in any ways for Zion.

Why?

I played Doncic, DSJ and Zion in NBA2k19 and I can't believe how much fun it is.

-----

Honestly it would make sense to tank. These 3 together with Barnes and whatever Center would be competitive for the Playoffs.
burner2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:33 AM   #4
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

totally unrealistic.

We wont outtank Suns and Cavs for sure and probably not a team like Knicks and Hawks. And we all know what is going to happen if we just have the 3rd to 5th worst record
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:35 AM   #5
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

It would take a complete meltdown on the team and also front office for us to end up with a top 5 pick. Obviously, I'm excluding those 1/100 chances that it happens. But if we have that total meltdown, then things are even worse because why would Doncic want to stay here long term if this franchise is that bad with no hope of putting a team around him.

We need to this team, this coach and this front office to figure things out and get better. Making the playoffs is best case scenario. But winning some games and losing close ones should be perfectly fine. Given the absolute strength the WC has, getting to .500 would be a HUGE achievement.

Again, we have a plan, stick with the plan, enforce the plan.
MavzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:09 AM   #6
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Go ahead and get this out of your system.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 03:43 PM   #7
NeedlesKane
Golden Member

NeedlesKane is a splendid one to beholdNeedlesKane is a splendid one to beholdNeedlesKane is a splendid one to beholdNeedlesKane is a splendid one to beholdNeedlesKane is a splendid one to beholdNeedlesKane is a splendid one to beholdNeedlesKane is a splendid one to beholdNeedlesKane is a splendid one to beholdNeedlesKane is a splendid one to beholdNeedlesKane is a splendid one to beholdNeedlesKane is a splendid one to behold

I don't want the Mavericks to get a top 5 pick next year. I want the Hawks to get their pick, and I want their pick to suck. I want us to not be lottery bound. It's time for our guys to soar!
Nowitzki | Kleber | Spalding | Antetokounmpo (two-way)
Jordan | Powell | Mejri
NeedlesKane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:10 PM   #8
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Luckily I don't care if we give up the 6th pick to the Hawks because I can barely find 6 players I like in this next draft. Outside of the 3 Duke players I like Grimes for sure and then a couple maybes like Bol and Langford. Maybe I end up liking one more or something. But outside of the 3 duke players and Grimes I'm not in love with any of the others atm... could change but definitely not a draft like the last 2. So top 5 protection seems perfect to me.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 04:55 PM   #9
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Zion is like a super athletic Draymond Green...perfect for today's positionless NBA. I wouldn't take him over Barrett, but he does seen to have that Donovan Mitchell aggressiveness.
Old 11-07-2018, 05:17 PM   #10
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

We could really use one more young building block. Honestly, I don't want us to suck this year and don't think we will continue to be bad bad. But adding one of those Duke players is in some ways our best case scenario, after DSJ turning into a legit offensive stud and passable defender.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:30 PM   #11
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Well somewhere around 25-30 wins is what to expect for the 5th pick. We are 3-7 atm so... we would have to go 22 and 50 to get a shot at one of the better players, and likely 18-54 or so at best to have a shot at the Duke players... barring some crazy lotto luck that never happens for us. I mean the only reason we lost our pick next year is we got screwed in the lotto.

I see no reason to think we will be an 18-22 win team to close out the season honestly. So the only way we get one of those Duke players is we win the lotto, which is great really. If we don't have a top pick I don't want the pick, and if we win but happen to get the pick that's kinda perfect.

On a side note if for some reason we are really bad still in January and we are sitting around pick 5-7 then they may as well seriously look hard at finding deals for vets, specifically Barnes and DJ. Not necessarily to lose more, though that would help, but to get assets back.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 05:46 PM   #12
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

We can always trade for a pick...

Its the Dirk Nowitzki effect on their offense. As a defense, you absolutely overreact to every situation hes
in -- or even that hes not in -- and then you lose all sight of your team defensive rules." --Erik Spoelstra
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 12:03 AM   #13
NeedlesKane
Golden Member

NeedlesKane is a splendid one to beholdNeedlesKane is a splendid one to beholdNeedlesKane is a splendid one to beholdNeedlesKane is a splendid one to beholdNeedlesKane is a splendid one to beholdNeedlesKane is a splendid one to beholdNeedlesKane is a splendid one to beholdNeedlesKane is a splendid one to beholdNeedlesKane is a splendid one to beholdNeedlesKane is a splendid one to beholdNeedlesKane is a splendid one to behold

Maybe we can even buy a pick? Houston tried to give some away recently.
Nowitzki | Kleber | Spalding | Antetokounmpo (two-way)
Jordan | Powell | Mejri

Last edited by NeedlesKane; 11-08-2018 at 12:03 AM.
NeedlesKane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 01:51 AM   #14
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

I am on Desmond Bane watch this college season. He would be a nice Wes replacement.

Old 11-08-2018, 03:20 AM   #15
burner2014

Bleacher Report has us on 2 lol!

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ips-off#slide2
Old 11-08-2018, 03:35 PM   #16
mavsjunkie
Golden Member

mavsjunkie is just really nicemavsjunkie is just really nicemavsjunkie is just really nicemavsjunkie is just really nicemavsjunkie is just really nicemavsjunkie is just really nice

This team has horrible defenders and that must change if we want to be a play off caliber team. This team also needs a go-to guy, and I think that guy is Luka. If we were to somehow tank and end up with Zion or Barrett. Either of those guys would be an instant super star, and that's what wins in the NBA.

DSJ isn't showing me much this year, I'll give him one more year after this one.
I'm also not sold on the coach. I've actually seen him win a championship, but maybe his era has passed. You have to have multiple super stars to win in this league.
Old 11-09-2018, 06:47 AM   #17
burner2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsjunkie View Post
This team has horrible defenders and that must change if we want to be a play off caliber team. This team also needs a go-to guy, and I think that guy is Luka. If we were to somehow tank and end up with Zion or Barrett. Either of those guys would be an instant super star, and that's what wins in the NBA.

DSJ isn't showing me much this year, I'll give him one more year after this one.
I'm also not sold on the coach. I've actually seen him win a championship, but maybe his era has passed. You have to have multiple super stars to win in this league.

That's the thing. You need multiple superstars to win a ring nowadays...

We will have hopefully one in Doncic.

We will have a good player with DSJ and a good player with Barnes. Then we have nothing.

Now we can try to get a superstar via free-agency but that's not super easy. So best way is to draft high again...

If the Mavs really want to play for a championship (and I bet Cuban wants that) then we need a gameplan to attack in 2-3 years from now.

Drafting Doncic was a masterpiece but now the next piece to a contender needs to be planned as well.

Last edited by burner2014; 11-09-2018 at 06:48 AM.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:13 AM   #18
rimrocker
Platinum Member

rimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by burner2014 View Post
That's the thing. You need multiple superstars to win a ring nowadays...

We will have hopefully one in Doncic.

We will have a good player with DSJ and a good player with Barnes. Then we have nothing.

Now we can try to get a superstar via free-agency but that's not super easy. So best way is to draft high again...

If the Mavs really want to play for a championship (and I bet Cuban wants that) then we need a gameplan to attack in 2-3 years from now.

Drafting Doncic was a masterpiece but now the next piece to a contender needs to be planned as well.
Agree!
Going forward we know for sure Doncic will be a ball-dominate player so it will be imperative to find the right pieces for him. The challenge will be finding non-ball-dominate players that play at high levels and then attracting them in FA.

The perfect scenario imo would be to get a pick or 2 from any combination of trading DJ, Wes, Powell, Maxi, DFS, Mejri and Barea and then hopefully somehow land a top 2 pick of our own.

I'd even consider trading Barnes and/or DSJ with the right pieces coming back because I'm not totally convinced they are good fits with Doncic.

When we traded for Doncic we traded for our franchise player and it appears he is the real deal. Now we need to build around him and stop this messing around with just trying to make the POs in a superstar-studded western conference.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 07:19 AM   #19
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Clicked a few times Tankathon and had allready the case where four teams jumped ahead and the teams with the four worst records dropped to #5-#8.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2018, 11:23 AM   #20
MavzMan
Golden Member

MavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant futureMavzMan has a brilliant future

With the new draft rules, it really is pointless tanking to get a high pick. On top of that, you have a high potential of alienating our future franchise player in Doncic which is absolute worst case scenario.

Teams are almost to the point of seriously over-valuing draft picks and even more so with the high ones. There is no way get a first round pick for DJ on a one year contract. I really don't even see it with Barnes included. We just don't have the pieces that are needed to lure those teams.

What we need to do is stick with the plan. If we get a top 5 pick, then that's just gravy. But we need hard coaching that includes shaking up the starting lineup (Wes/DFS). We need smart picks no matter where they are. We need good off-season player acquisition. DJ was a perfect fit for this team, while the jury is still out on team chemistry with only 11 games played.
Old 11-09-2018, 07:49 PM   #21
SMC0007
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
Agree!
Going forward we know for sure Doncic will be a ball-dominate player so it will be imperative to find the right pieces for him. The challenge will be finding non-ball-dominate players that play at high levels and then attracting them in FA.

The perfect scenario imo would be to get a pick or 2 from any combination of trading DJ, Wes, Powell, Maxi, DFS, Mejri and Barea and then hopefully somehow land a top 2 pick of our own.

I'd even consider trading Barnes and/or DSJ with the right pieces coming back because I'm not totally convinced they are good fits with Doncic.

When we traded for Doncic we traded for our franchise player and it appears he is the real deal. Now we need to build around him and stop this messing around with just trying to make the POs in a superstar-studded western conference.

Well you may or may not have your franchise player. You really only have him until his first contract is up.

Old 11-10-2018, 01:52 AM   #22
MavzMan
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
[/B]

Well you may or may not have your franchise player. You really only have him until his first contract is up.
And that's why you don't go firing our good coach (may or may not be championship level) and trading every one of your players to get a team full of rookies who can't play worth a crap and probably won't ever. Then he disillusioned with the franchise and goes somewhere else.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:33 AM   #23
rimrocker
Platinum Member

rimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavzMan View Post
And that's why you don't go firing our good coach (may or may not be championship level) and trading every one of your players to get a team full of rookies who can't play worth a crap and probably won't ever. Then he disillusioned with the franchise and goes somewhere else.
If we're going to suck it might as well be with a roster full of young players with some upside that Doncic can lead instead of a bunch of one-year vets that are trying to showcase their talents for bigger contracts.

I agree with keeping Rick....isn't his fault if Cuban and Donnie have a strategy to just make the POs. He is exactly what we need once we are back to LEGIT contention level.

Last edited by rimrocker; 11-10-2018 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-10-2018, 11:35 AM   #24
rimrocker
Platinum Member

Quote:
[/B]

Doncic isn't going anywhere if a team is building around him and he'll get more money than elsewhere.
Old 11-10-2018, 05:35 PM   #25
SMC0007
Diamond Member

Quote:
Doncic isn't going anywhere if a team is building around him and he'll get more money than elsewhere.
Yea, we will see. If we keep losing and are still a huge mess dont be surprised

Old 11-10-2018, 06:07 PM   #26
rimrocker
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yea, we will see. If we keep losing and are still a huge mess dont be surprised
I think Luka would understand if the Mavs went into complete rebuild mode making him the center piece. If he was Barnes' age I could see him moving on if we are in this same situation but not at 22.
We should be trending up by then and hopefully primarily with players closer to Luka and DSJs age.

I'm perfectly fine with a few older vets that have very limited roles but we have what looks to be a future star at age 19 with a potential sidekick only one year older and they should be the primary focus. Honestly if Wes would just take that DeShawn Stevenson role, and JJ's minutes were limited in favor of Brunson, I could live with our situation.

The sooner the keys to this thing are given to Luka the better imo and I'm just afraid shuffling in vets every year with histories of having large roles will impede Luka's progress as a leader.

Last edited by rimrocker; 11-10-2018 at 06:09 PM.
Old 11-10-2018, 07:14 PM   #27
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think Luka would understand if the Mavs went into complete rebuild mode making him the center piece. If he was Barnes' age I could see him moving on if we are in this same situation but not at 22.
We should be trending up by then and hopefully primarily with players closer to Luka and DSJs age.

I'm perfectly fine with a few older vets that have very limited roles but we have what looks to be a future star at age 19 with a potential sidekick only one year older and they should be the primary focus. Honestly if Wes would just take that DeShawn Stevenson role, and JJ's minutes were limited in favor of Brunson, I could live with our situation.

The sooner the keys to this thing are given to Luka the better imo and I'm just afraid shuffling in vets every year with histories of having large roles will impede Luka's progress as a leader.
Agree 100% with this... I think a couple years of losing/building in order to get back into the playoffs is going to do a lot more for Luka's longterm growth/interest than the mediocrity treadmill we're currently spinning with our vets. The "win now" mentality needs to die, and that's never going to happen when we have veteran players playing heavy minutes.

Its the Dirk Nowitzki effect on their offense. As a defense, you absolutely overreact to every situation hes
in -- or even that hes not in -- and then you lose all sight of your team defensive rules." --Erik Spoelstra
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote