Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-16-2011, 04:56 PM   #81
dalger
Golden Member

dalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant future

If everyone was to come back, the one "concern" (or luxury problem) would be how we can keep everyone happy minutes-wise and develop our young guns like Roddy and Brewer. Both would have a hard time to get minutes at the 3 (Corey) behind Caron and Marion or at the 2 (Roddy) behind Jet and Stevenson, at times even JJB.

Still, if possible, I want the current team to return in its entirety minus Peja. Caron would inevitably bring something to the table and, alongside additional unused players like Roddy and Brewer, allow us to be competitive once again.
dalger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2011, 04:59 PM   #82
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
True in any normal year, but we got the new CBA in our back pocket working in our favor. If owners get a shell of what they're wishing for.
Yeah and i think that really works in our favor regarding Butler and specially Barea.

The MLE is done but my guess is there will a kind of transition "MLE" until the first "real" year of a hardcap (in 3-4 years).

But this will be maybe half of the MLE right now. Like 3m, maximum 3-4 years, no increasing, team option after two years etc.

I dont see any team with cap throwing it big time on a 31y old Butler after his injury. And the amount of this "new" MLE will be kind of the money we would offer Barea.

And teams with cap going after Barea and overpay him significantly (and just then we dont match the offer)?

Kings? Udrih, Evans...
Pacers? Collison (allready a dwarf)
Wolves? Got more than enough PG
Wiz? Wall

Well, if it happens Barea gonna end up as a bench guy on a really bad team. Dont know if he want that...

Last edited by sefant77; 06-16-2011 at 05:00 PM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:00 PM   #83
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalger View Post
If everyone was to come back, the one "concern" (or luxury problem) would be how we can keep everyone happy minutes-wise and develop our young guns like Roddy and Brewer. Both would have a hard time to get minutes at the 3 (Corey) behind Caron and Marion or at the 2 (Roddy) behind Jet and Stevenson, at times even JJB.

Still, if possible, I want the current team to return in its entirety minus Peja. Caron would inevitably bring something to the table and, alongside additional unused players like Roddy and Brewer, allow us to be competitive once again.
No doubt, happens to the best of them, Farmar leaves Lakers, Blake - Farmar, push, but in the Laker system, Farmar proved his worth. Celtics let Posey go, never the same, Rondo did climbed a few rungs, but they've never reached the pinnacle again with that group. Nelson has a tough job ahead of him. He signed Brewer to a 3 year deal, as the replacement for Stevenson? Stevenson takes over the Peja role? Then there's Jones and our 1st round pick.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:17 PM   #84
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

I also think with Butler and Roddy back we can cut Kidd and Terrys minutes to 24 each a game, that alone will open up minutes for the three young guards (specially Roddy).

And having Butler back we can have this beautiful Forward rotation with everyone (even Dirk) just playing around 30min.

Last edited by sefant77; 06-16-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:54 PM   #85
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah. I basically pray every night that there will be a season starting in October and if so, we have to think about the future and start giving Brewer and Roddy serious minutes. It's a tough transition, but I think we might be able to stay competitive while at the same time already preparing the future.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:54 PM   #86
dalger
Golden Member

dalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant futuredalger has a brilliant future

Tyson and Caron really seem like no-brainers. They're both too good to let them walk away for nothing in return. The good thing about Caron is that his knee seems to be doing fine, yet a 31-year-old who comes off a season-ending knee injury won't attract a whole lot of interest from other teams. That's why we should be able to re-sign him for much less in years and money than his market value was like back in December. Bad for him, good for us.

JJB and Stevenson are tougher calls. Usually, one would want to have them back as well and I wouldn't be against it at all. At the same time, we actually do have two young players (Roddy and Brewer) who could take their spots in the future and maybe even have a higher ceiling anyway. Bringing back both JJB and Stevenson would make it pretty tough for Carlisle to create a rotation that's successful and maximizes each player's potential at the same time, although that's one of Carlisle's biggest strenghts.

Donnie does indeed have some tough decisions in front of him, although most GMs would love to have his problems. The good thing is that we have an incredibly deep roster and, barring any dramatic CBA changes, could keep said roster intact or change it based on what WE think is necessary.

Last edited by dalger; 06-16-2011 at 05:56 PM.
dalger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:11 PM   #87
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0Shi View Post
Yeah. I basically pray every night that there will be a season starting in October and if so, we have to think about the future and start giving Brewer and Roddy serious minutes. It's a tough transition, but I think we might be able to stay competitive while at the same time already preparing the future.
Yea, no doubt, with those 2, and Jones, we have our aces in the hole in Kidd and Jet, limit their back to backs and minutes, ride with these 2, get them battle tested.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #88
derman

derman can only hope to improve

Why is this board so high on Beaubois? He sucked in both games against the Fakers this season, a team most likely Dallas would have to beat next year to get to the Finals. He couldnt penetrate like Barea, and shot something like 2-8 and 1-7.

Barea should be a priority much higher than Butler. Who knows in what condition Butler returns. Barea proved himself throughout the playoffs. The turning point in the Finals came when Carlisle inserted him in the starting line-up. Mavs were 3-0 with Barea starting. In the Finals, against a team they most likely will meet again next year in the Finals.

What if Beaubois continues to suck, and the Mavs let Barea go? Barea proved himself in the playoffs, in the Finals. Beaubois hasnt proved anything. IMO Beaubois is way overrated on this board. And letting Barea go would be a big mistake.
derman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:38 PM   #89
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by derman View Post
Why is this board so high on Beaubois? He sucked in both games against the Fakers this season, a team most likely Dallas would have to beat next year to get to the Finals. He couldnt penetrate like Barea, and shot something like 2-8 and 1-7.

Barea should be a priority much higher than Butler. Who knows in what condition Butler returns. Barea proved himself throughout the playoffs. The turning point in the Finals came when Carlisle inserted him in the starting line-up. Mavs were 3-0 with Barea starting. In the Finals, against a team they most likely will meet again next year in the Finals.

What if Beaubois continues to suck, and the Mavs let Barea go? Barea proved himself in the playoffs, in the Finals. Beaubois hasnt proved anything. IMO Beaubois is way overrated on this board. And letting Barea go would be a big mistake.
Roddy didn't have a full camp with us. Butler became a better player with us after a full camp. There's large amounts of information to be absorbed from training camp. Working in a system, integrating all the parts, roddy never had that, he was thrown into the fire from his day 1. Practices are generally walk throughs/shoot arounds during the season, to save legs.
Old 06-16-2011, 07:21 PM   #90
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalger View Post

In case you forgot how many big shots Peja hit for us this playoffs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I--LFXAM5xs I think he will come cheap and be useful in certain matchups.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:44 PM   #91
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Mavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to behold

I see no problem for resigning Peja if we could do so for the league minimum all the better. I know he did not have a good series against Miami the few minutes he played, but you have to expect most role players are going to have teams that are a bad match up for them.

Last edited by Mavsfan4ever; 06-17-2011 at 12:27 AM.
Mavsfan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:45 PM   #92
derman

derman can only hope to improve

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavsfan1000 View Post
In case you forgot how many big shots Peja hit for us this playoffs. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I--LFXAM5xs I think he will come cheap and be useful in certain matchups.
Yeah, why would Mavs let Peja go. So that the Fakers or the cHeat pick him up, and he bombs the Mavs out of the playoffs next year? The Fakers are starving for a 3p threat off their bench, and they will certainly remember what Peja did to them this playoffs.

Peja is very grateful to the Mavs for the ring, he already made his millions. And what he did this year in the first two rounds, maybe he can repeat next year. Sign him up for cheap, Mavs have nothing to lose by keeping him.
derman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 10:57 PM   #93
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

Haven't wanted to think about this as I bask in the lingering euphoria of having accomplished what we accomplished. However...at what point does reality set in and we start worrying about things like "the disease of more"? Reading JJ's comments on dallasbasketball.com, it sounds like he wants more dollars (and who can blame him?). Will this team be able to maintain it's structure (as so many of us hope), or will we fall victim to the same affliction that has slowly, efficiently, and inevitably dismantled so many one and done championship squads over the decades? The desire for More.

Will post more later. Grabbing some more alcohol with friends. Love you all.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:06 PM   #94
mavsfan1000
Platinum Member

mavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the roughmavsfan1000 is a jewel in the rough

My guess is we keep Chandler, Barea, Stojakovic and lose Butler. Who knows though.

Last edited by mavsfan1000; 06-16-2011 at 11:06 PM.
mavsfan1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 07:36 AM   #95
PartywithDirk

PartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to allPartywithDirk is a name known to all

Here's my thoughts, just opinions, and a question:

1. I think we get Butler back cheap. He was shown loyalty at the deadline by not being dealt and he seems like he wants to repay that loyalty (no inside info, just a feeling).
2. I think we can get JJ back, but I don't want to overpay...although I'm still not sure he's going to have a huge list of suitors.
3. Chandler will resign.
4. I hope Peja comes back on the cheap...he still can provide shooting off the bench and he can help space the floor.
5. I hope Threevenson comes back cheap too. He can be a valuable piece.

What are your thoughts on Haywood? I'm not terribly sure how well he'll do for a 2nd year coming off the bench. For most of the season, it seemed he was pouting about not starting and it impacted his play. I loved him during the postseason, but my thoughts are if we can get some things in return, why not move him and go with Ian as the backup?

Move Haywood for a couple of pieces (backup center, backup PG if JJ leaves, or backup SG) might be a good way to go. I think we can get a lot for him, you think Miami wouldn't have loved to have him this year?
PartywithDirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:16 AM   #96
dirt_dobber
Platinum Member

dirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant future

Do we owe Peja a "wink-wink" make-up deal. Not sure how much he was paid from the Raptors in his contract buyout - and we only paid him $706,138 for the remaining part of the year. This really pissed off a lot of NBA teams - but I say to them "nut up or shut up".

Anyway do you think we promised Peja a bigger payday if he became a part of our team??
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 11:45 AM   #97
dirt_dobber
Platinum Member

dirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant futuredirt_dobber has a brilliant future

current salary info
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 12:27 PM   #98
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_dobber View Post
Do we owe Peja a "wink-wink" make-up deal. Not sure how much he was paid from the Raptors in his contract buyout - and we only paid him $706,138 for the remaining part of the year. This really pissed off a lot of NBA teams - but I say to them "nut up or shut up".

Anyway do you think we promised Peja a bigger payday if he became a part of our team??
I doubt it. With his wheels, I can't see a promise of more years. I think he chose Dallas due to the close proximity to New Orleans, I remember reading that his wife and kid were still there.
Old 06-17-2011, 01:26 PM   #99
Romuless

Romuless is on a distinguished road

Resign Chandler, resign Butler, Barrea, Cardinal, and let Dsteve stay if he wants to make backup money.

I know everyone thinks Chandler wants a big contract, but the guy is already set for life, and Dallas and the Mavs have been amazing to him, there is zero chance he wants to move to another team, even for more money.

JJ has been a Mav his whole career, he is huge with the spanish speaking community, I am about 95% certain he plans to spend his entire career here like Dirk.

Butler won't be as highly sought after as he would have been last year, not only that but he sat and watched his team win him a title, if he is a man that won't sit well with his pride, he will want to pay them back by winning Them one, he takes less money than he is worth next year.

The last piece to all this is Cuban, Cuban will do what it takes guys. Cuban is a Beast of a businessman, no one in the NBA is on his level, and he will keep whatever he Wants to keep.
Romuless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:33 PM   #100
Rick41
Diamond Member

Rick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond reputeRick41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
I doubt it. With his wheels, I can't see a promise of more years. I think he chose Dallas due to the close proximity to New Orleans, I remember reading that his wife and kid were still there.
I read an article on Yahoo saying that Peja made ballpark $15 mil this year but I don't know how much of that was from the Mavs.

"Dirk Nowitzki is now a household name in every locker room in this world.
You say it in Brazil, you say Dirk, they know Nowitzki. You say it in China,
they know Nowitzki. Kobe, Michael, DIRK." - Jeff Van Gundy
Rick41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:47 PM   #101
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick41 View Post
I read an article on Yahoo saying that Peja made ballpark $15 mil this year but I don't know how much of that was from the Mavs.
Mavs paid him 700k

His final year with the Raptors was 14.86m but my guess is that they bought him out for less than that, 13-14m....
Old 06-17-2011, 01:49 PM   #102
MascisMan

MascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to beholdMascisMan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_dobber View Post
current salary info
Wow Dirk made 17 mil. Comparatively, that is a bargain. I can't believe he took a hometown discount to help the team. What a dude. He probably would have been maxed if he would have left us.
MascisMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 02:11 PM   #103
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MascisMan View Post
Wow Dirk made 17 mil. Comparatively, that is a bargain. I can't believe he took a hometown discount to help the team. What a dude. He probably would have been maxed if he would have left us.
10x Allstar, 1xMVP before this playoffs and he never had his own shoe.

He never went for "max money"
Old 06-17-2011, 02:38 PM   #104
Romuless

Romuless is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
10x Allstar, 1xMVP before this playoffs and he never had his own shoe.

He never went for "max money"
Seriously hate to sound all luvie dubie but Dirk knows what really matters. The people he cares about and who care about him are here in Dallas. He was mocked coming into the league and doubted for the last decade by everyone but Dallas and Mark. You gotta respect someone who knows that at the end of all the contracts what he has built with the people he is around and the area he lives in is more valuable than "maxxing out".
Romuless is offline   Reply With Quote