Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-23-2011, 10:46 AM   #1
Folterkammer

Folterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really niceFolterkammer is just really nice
Default The Official Draft Day Thread

Hey everybody,

so I know after this great run in the playoffs it is hard to get too excited about a draft that is not considered to have outstanding talent but nevertheless:

- who do you think the mavs should draft?
- do you think they should trade the pick for a number one next year, or something else?
- should they move up?

not really draft related but do you guys think that nick calathes will get playing time with the mavs next year?

after what happened to dominique jones would this years first round draft pick have a realistic chance to crack the rotation?

In my opinion they should move this years pick for one in two years to if they want to get under the cap next season or just move it for one next season if they want to have an opportunity to draft twice in a better draft or to move up.
Old 06-23-2011, 10:51 AM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

I said it in another thread: trade pick #26 to Cleveland for Ramon Sessions (or go after another guard of his caliber...)
Old 06-23-2011, 10:53 AM   #3
OSUmavsfan

OSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to allOSUmavsfan is a name known to all

Quote:
As the NBA champion Dallas Mavericks start to retool to try and defend their title, they’re worried they could lose J.J. Barea(notes) to free agency. Another small guard, Isaiah Thomas from Washington, may attract their interest with the 26th pick. The 5-foot-10 Thomas dazzled the Mavericks in a workout this week. They could perhaps still get him with their 57th overall pick, but they’ve never been afraid to make a bold move with a young player whom they like – regardless of where other teams have him listed on their draft boards. The Chicago Bulls will take a long look at Thomas with one of their two late first-round picks as well. Barea’s success in the Mavericksā championship run is perfect timing for Thomas’ early entry to the NBA. He had a tremendous season for the Washington Huskies, and his speed, explosiveness and scoring ability can be game-changers. Some have compared Thomas to another small guard out of Washington – the Oklahoma City Thunder’s Nate Robinson(notes) – but Thomas is a much better playmaker.
http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slu..._irving_062311

I wouldn't mind picking up a possible JJB replacement in the 2nd round.
OSUmavsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:12 PM   #4
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Bertans or Darrius Morris

don't trade the pick for an average backup point
Old 06-23-2011, 12:24 PM   #5
Lor20
Golden Member

Lor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud ofLor20 has much to be proud of

we need an athletic guy for off the bench... preferably for the 3 or 4.
Lor20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
Mavsfan2thedeath

Mavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to all

My vote has to be Nikola Mirotic. I've read that many scouts believe he'd be a lottery pick if he waited a couple years to enter the draft. Sure he's pretty much tied up in Europe for the next two to three years, but I don't see any other way the Mavs could basically acquire a lottery level player. He can score inside and out, and we have the ability to let him marinate in Europe for a couple years while we use that roster spot on another player who can help us more in the short term.
Mavsfan2thedeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:00 PM   #7
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lor20 View Post
we need an athletic guy for off the bench... preferably for the 3 or 4.
I think Brewer gives us that, at least at the 2-3. 4, Dirk, seems we're more interested in getting guys of similar tools as Dirk, a 4 that can put it up from outside, Thomas, Cardinal.
Kidd Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:02 PM   #8
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
I think Brewer gives us that, at least at the 2-3. 4, Dirk, seems we're more interested in getting guys of similar tools as Dirk, a 4 that can put it up from outside, Thomas, Cardinal.
So you mean Justin Harper.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:15 PM   #9
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

I'd like to trade up and get Burks, Faried or Honeycutt. Some good players will be available. If they don't then I hope they draft one of these guys: Shumpert, Leslie, Jackson, Tyler, Harper or Johnson. But really, Burks is the guy I like best and he could be available since so many teams want to move down or out of this draft. I believe that Burks, Shumpert and Leslie are all elite athletes and quite capable defensively. Shumpert is supposed to have great handles.

Interestingly, I read a bunch of pub on Isaiah Thomas yesterday and someone is claiming that he is like Nate Robinson. I mean, did anyone outside of Dallas see what JJ did to Nate in the playoffs? The fact of the matter is that if the Mavs bring back most of their elite free agents there isn't going to be any kind of upgrade for them after the first couple of picks in the draft. It is better to bring back the whole squad and compete for the championship again. That said, they do need some young prospects that can start contributing in a season or two. I said in the other thread that I don't like the draft 'n stash scenario; however, for the right player it is a good idea.

Last edited by GP; 06-23-2011 at 01:16 PM.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 01:24 PM   #10
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Kidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant futureKidd Karma has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirobaito View Post
So you mean Justin Harper.
Would they put a young guy behind Dirk and hope he can get it? Depends how they view Marion, they will always have Cardinal to fall back on. But with the draft before the final CBA, there's unknown. I'd go Spurish and go for a Euro guy you can stash for a year or 2.....or move the pick for a 1st.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:32 PM   #11
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidd Karma View Post
Would they put a young guy behind Dirk and hope he can get it? Depends how they view Marion, they will always have Cardinal to fall back on. But with the draft before the final CBA, there's unknown. I'd go Spurish and go for a Euro guy you can stash for a year or 2.....or move the pick for a 1st.
Right now, if they draft a power forward or tweener forward then that guy will be 3rd string at best unless he is a lot better than advertised. I like that Harper kid a lot but he does need to get stronger. He might see significant time in the developmental league rather than on the big club. I can't see any draft pick displacing Marion's minutes or Butlers.
Old 06-23-2011, 02:12 PM   #12
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I said it in another thread: trade pick #26 to Cleveland for Ramon Sessions (or go after another guard of his caliber...)
Sessions has 2 years with 9 million left.

I prefer to keep the pick and pay Barea 4 million a year over 3-4 years.

And Session has no 3p shot whatsoever and thats pretty important for our game

Last edited by sefant77; 06-23-2011 at 02:15 PM.
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:18 PM   #13
Mavsfan2thedeath

Mavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to allMavsfan2thedeath is a name known to all

check out David Lord's article, particularly regarding Mirotic.

http://mavericks.scout.com/2/1081568.html
Mavsfan2thedeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:30 PM   #14
GP

I read that. In my opinion that was not one of his better efforts. Don't like his logic at all and it appears the article was written with outdated information. I hope his writing is not a reflection of Cuban's and Donnie's thinking.
Old 06-23-2011, 03:12 PM   #15
CadBane
Banned

CadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond reputeCadBane has a reputation beyond repute

I love me some Justin Harper. He's like an uber VladRad. Or Tim Thomas.
CadBane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:14 PM   #16
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Alec Burks is pretty legit. Very much like Justin Harper as well.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:00 PM   #17
GP

Sacramento just made a very questionable trade. Not sure why.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:03 PM   #18
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Sacramento just made a very questionable trade. Not sure why.
Because bad teams do dumb things, thus making them a bad team.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:03 PM   #19
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Cha:

7th Pick, Magette

Sac:

10th, Salmons

Mil:

19th Stephen Jackson, Shaun Livingston, Udrih

Last edited by sefant77; 06-23-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:05 PM   #20
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Kirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant futureKirobaito has a brilliant future

Didn't Sacramento have John Salmons, like, two years ago?
Old 06-23-2011, 04:10 PM   #21
sefant77
Guru

WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
The Spurs are still burning up the phone lines, trying to get into lottery.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:10 PM   #22
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
Because bad teams do dumb things, thus making them a bad team.
Seems like a trade to set up other things. Otherwise this would be beyond stupid.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:12 PM   #23
Kidd Karma
Diamond Member

Clears room in their back court for the Jimmer. Looks like a drawing card to get the Maloofs pockets lined again.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:15 PM   #24
sefant77
Guru

The Bobcats want T. Thompson...and then play him beside Tyrus Thomas?!
Old 06-23-2011, 04:19 PM   #25
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
They'll have the best set of offensely-embarrassing-but-great-offensive-rebounding forwards in the Southeast Division!

EDIT: Ooo, they should also grab Chris Singleton at no. 9 while they're at it. Bad teams are bad.

Last edited by Kirobaito; 06-23-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Kirobaito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:22 PM   #26
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

So Kings essentially swap a PG for a SG and will draft Jimmer. At least the move makes sense now.

Last edited by j0Shi; 06-23-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:24 PM   #27
j0Shi
Diamond Member

Quote:
Word is they want Biyombo.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:32 PM   #28
Dale4Saul2Red0

Dale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to all

I want Justin Harper
Dale4Saul2Red0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:39 PM   #29
sefant77
Guru

I want Justin Bieber
Old 06-23-2011, 04:49 PM   #30
Dale4Saul2Red0

Dale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to allDale4Saul2Red0 is a name known to all

If we go PG though which I wouldn't have a problem with. Charles Jenkins is our guy. I saw him play plenty in person. Kid is sick!

Barea is a former CAA player and so is Jenkins.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcO1N1MZycg

Last edited by Dale4Saul2Red0; 06-23-2011 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:00 PM   #31
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
WojYahooNBA Adrian Wojnarowski
The Spurs are still burning up the phone lines, trying to get into lottery.
Figured I'd come around for draft day.

Let them. This really is a weak draft, and if SA wants to get rid of Tony Parker for a high pick then all the power to them.

Isaiah Washington does seem like a nice pick but only if the FO thinks there is a good chance Barea will be too expensive.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:04 PM   #32
Dale4Saul2Red0

Cleveland drafting Jonas Valanciunas at 4 per ESPN, WTF? His "Rubio" status makes him a silly pick there.

Last edited by Dale4Saul2Red0; 06-23-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-23-2011, 05:12 PM   #33
mavs777
Diamond Member

mavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant futuremavs777 has a brilliant future

Valenciunas is the best big in the draft.

Rumor is both Burks and Hamilton are slipping, neither would be there at 26 but if we can trade up into early 20s they might fall there
Old 06-23-2011, 05:14 PM   #34
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Mavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to behold

I would not mind picking up an athletic 4, but as I have said before I do not see much talent in this years draft.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:10 PM   #35
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

predraft tweet quotes from Donnie are up
Old 06-23-2011, 06:15 PM   #36
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Mavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to beholdMavsfan4ever is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGMaverick9 View Post
predraft tweet quotes from Donnie are up
What is Donnie's Twitter?
Old 06-23-2011, 06:23 PM   #37
Kirobaito
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavsfan4ever View Post
What is Donnie's Twitter?
Doesn't have one, they're on BG's twitter. @BallinWithBryan
Old 06-23-2011, 06:38 PM   #38
LonghornDub

LonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond reputeLonghornDub has a reputation beyond repute

Lol Jersey losers in the crowd.

"Your'e a low-mentality drama gay queen!!" -- She_Growls
LonghornDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:01 PM   #39
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Where is all the trades? Portland usually would have traded all their draft picks for another team's draft picks by now.

What's the deal?

I want trades!
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 07:03 PM   #40
Mavsfan4ever
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayliss View Post
Where is all the trades? Portland usually would have traded all their draft picks for another team's draft picks by now.

What's the deal?

I want trades!
Is kinda boring with no trades yet.