Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 08-03-2015, 01:43 AM   #1
GermanStandard

GermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to beholdGermanStandard is a splendid one to behold
Default Mark Cuban Marketing Strategy

With the recent moves this Offseason i cant help but think that Marc Cuban is trying to make a lot of Marking splashes to keep the Mavs relevant especially setting it up for Dirks retirement in the next two years.

With Dirk retiring in two years from now a big market while vanish in Germany and Western Europe. Make no mistake, while some hardcore fans actually developed a love for the whole Organization with Dirk being the catalysator, most People in Germany and Western Europe watch the Mavs only because of Dirk. Probably 99% of Mavs Shirts in Europe/Western Europe have Dirk on their backs. When he retires the people will stop following the Mavs.

He knows that the Mavs wont be Contenders in a good while. The last chance with Dirk still being able to contribute was this offseason and it all went down in the DeAndre Fiasco and us not having options for decent alternatives because of that idiot.

There were a lot of talented players left when we picked up Satnam Singh late in the 2nd Round. I would even say that every single UDFA Rookie (Harrison Twins for example) is better than this slow unathletic giant. This dude wouldnt make a good european team just because he is THAT slow and unathletic.

Yes of course the FO will tell you they see something in him and that they will stash him and prepare him in the D-League. This is a smokescreen. They know just like everybody else that this is not a guy for the NBA.

This was purely for selling a shit ton of Jerseys in India. Its a huge and growing market. It doesnt even matter if Singh will ever play a minute for the Mavs. He will get a jersey number and they will print and sell jerseys and be relevant in India.

Than they bring in Maurice Ndour who is Senegalese. There were a ton of guys with a decent Summer League they even had one on their team with Jeremy Tyler. Yet they sign another non american Player to sell Jerseys in Africa.

Next they bring in Salah Mejiri a Tunisian Player who will most likely not make the team. But Tunisia, Egypt and the northern African Countries are a growing market for Basketball and there isnt a Tunisian Player in the NBA.

Just following the same pattern, yet another market is discovered.

They also brought in Zaza Pachulia. While this actually made sense after the DeAndre Fiasco there were some other solide American Options left at Center at the point we brought him in. Hes Georgian...one wonders..

So i wonder if Cuban is actually trying to build a team to contend in the foreseeable future or if he just wants to keep the Mavs relevant (esp. financial wise) because he knows they cant do it being successfull on the court.

Thoughts?

-------------------------------------------------

Baller from the G'

Last edited by GermanStandard; 08-03-2015 at 01:45 AM.
GermanStandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2015, 08:34 AM   #2
bunkmoreland

bunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to beholdbunkmoreland is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStandard View Post
So i wonder if Cuban is actually trying to build a team to contend in the foreseeable future or if he just wants to keep the Mavs relevant (esp. financial wise) because he knows they cant do it being successfull on the court.

Thoughts?
I think he sees himself as trying to keep the team competitive on the court AND relevant financially in terms of the overseas marketing potential you mention. I don't think he views his moves to court marketing opportunities overseas as compromising his attempts to put a competitive roster on the court. And I don't think he is completely wrong on that count. I don't think that any of the alternative available to him with the second round pick and the choice of end of the roster signings were going to significantly impact the team's competitiveness on the court this season. My guess is that Cuban sees the team with the additions of Matthews, Williams, ZaZa, and Dalembert as having a realistic shot at the 8 seed this year. I definitely think he is being a bit optimistic on that.
bunkmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 12:32 PM   #3
Melonhead
Diamond Member

Melonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant future

Good point. I'd say hes doing both without compromising the on court talent. Really, there wasnt much out there when they went for these guys.
Old 08-03-2015, 01:12 PM   #4
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I can't help thinking that you are almost totally wrong, but I love me a good theory like this.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:37 AM   #5
mxr2000

mxr2000 is on a distinguished road

GermanStandard@ you forgot about Barea (Puerto Rico) Charley Villanueva( Dominican) Cuban is no Dumb. He know his game!!!
mxr2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:36 AM   #6
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

If we had traded our end of the draft 2nd for a former 1st round pick who can shoot 38% from 3 and is only 24 years old(Jenkins for example...) then signed Singh as an undrafted player people wouldn't be so upset I'd wager. So if we get a marketing plus out of it all then I'm all for it. But the idea he was drafted entirely and solely because of jersey sales escapes me. He's 19yrs old and was in a few mocks i read about pre draft, whether they be fans or writers. It's not like the mavs went on facebook and found the tallest human in an untapped nba market and picked him and nobody knew who he was.

Also if the goal was simply marketing why did Cuban not make sure Parks got plenty of burn in summer league and then given him an unguaranteed deal? Filipino market is still relatively untapped as the only player I know of is Jordan Clarkson.

Quote:
"We talk about loving basketball in the United States but there is no country more basketball crazy than the Philippines," said Cuban, who hasn't shied away from drafting international players in the past.
http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story...asketball-fans
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:07 AM   #7
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan_Wilson View Post

Also if the goal was simply marketing why did Cuban not make sure Parks got plenty of burn in summer league and then given him an unguaranteed deal?
Cuban and Donnie obviously didn't watch one minute of Singh's play before draft night. It doesn't take long to notice he has no chance to make it in this league.
Strictly a marketing move by Cuban and probably a brilliant one.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 10:58 AM   #8
Dan1

Dan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to allDan1 is a name known to all

Singh is a market strategy? Definitely. Everyone on the franchise must know there is a 0,5% chance he becomes a NBA player.

But lol @ the same theory for guys like Zaza, Ndour and Mejiri.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:58 AM   #9
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan1 View Post
Singh is a market strategy? Definitely. Everyone on the franchise must know there is a 0,5% chance he becomes a NBA player.

But lol @ the same theory for guys like Zaza, Ndour and Mejiri.
Seriously this. Singh was one of the better prospects late in that draft, but I could also see Cuban's eyes lighting up at the opportunity.

The rest of the roster? Not so much. We've built the best roster we could after being set back To zero after Jordan ditched us. If Zaza is part of the plan, then so was Kidd and the Bucks organization who offered him up for cap space.

Fact is, there is always a marketing side, but it mostly comes second. If it came first Yuki Tagoshi would be our starting PG and not just a dude who we helped get into the D-League
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 12:35 AM   #10
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
Cuban and Donnie obviously didn't watch one minute of Singh's play before draft night. It doesn't take long to notice he has no chance to make it in this league.
Strictly a marketing move by Cuban and probably a brilliant one.
I won't be betting on him making a NBA roster by any means. I mean I saw him in Summer League look lost and fall over multiple times and just look like he just flat out didn't belong(because he doesn't right now). But I still think it's unfair to basically close the door on the kid before he even gets a chance to develop. Fact is at 19 he may not even be done growing. He could grow more his wingspan could stretch out we have no idea. IIRC Greek Freak was 6'9 when drafted at 19 and he's 6'11 now. Marcin Gortat was 21 and picked 57th and in his rookie summer league he averaged 4points and 4 rebs and he spent 2 more years playing for a German club before he cracked the roster for Magic(barely) to close out the 07-08 season. By all accounts when we made the Singh pick he sounds like a kid with a strong work ethic and his only experience with the sport is a IMG prep team whereas someone like Gortat was 2years older and had time with a German club under his belt and still took an additional 2-3 years before he was an end of the bench type player.

It's much more believable, to me, that we picked a guy who is a major project that also has marketing perks and he was likely chosen over guys who are much further along in their development. And not that Cuban just mailed in a pick with ***only*** marketing on the mind.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 05:27 AM   #11
tap2390
Golden Member

tap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant future

Fielding a competitive team is the best marketing strategy. Every owner knows that. Singh was a gamble with the 52nd pick based on his size. Not a single player drafted after him has played a lick of NBA ball. From the 46th pick on (Norman Powell) not a single player has been at all relevant. To cite that as proof Cuban only cares about selling jerseys is a stretch.
Old 05-03-2019, 05:41 AM   #12
JJP

JJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of light

Singh was the 52nd pick. He is 7' 2" and unknown.

Those numbers tell you all you need to know about the "strategy." It wasn't rocket science. If you had to pick someone at 52, pick the really big guy that no one knows about. If he's from India, that's better, that's maybe a bonus... but being from someplace overseas is not a strategy you invest in. Being a 7' 2" basketball player is.
JJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 11:05 AM   #13
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahujauh81 View Post
Thatís a nice share. If you use the online marketing methods, they will set your business class apart and you will definitely start getting huge return on investment very quickly. I use smm and seo services Los Angeles for my business and very happy with the results.
Now THIS is a weird marketing strategy...