Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old Today, 12:21 AM   #2081
GQ2003

GQ2003 is a jewel in the roughGQ2003 is a jewel in the roughGQ2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Don't be sorry. He had a great game vs Lebron, but I can show you a few Vids where Lebron obliterates James Johnson. Also a video where Luka blocks Lebron 2x in one posession. You can find dfs defensive highlight videos too. You can argue until you're blue in the face about who starts but if you've been a Mav fan since Rick has been around, you should know what to expect.
You can look for as long as you want and you will not find a 3 minute highlight of DFS shutting down one of the best players in the game. Finding a 10 second highlight of Luka blocking Lebron twice in a possession or of Lebron dunking on Johnson on one play during Johnson's rookie year isn't the same as a three minute highlight all from the same game of Johnson repeatedly giving Lebron issues.

Rick is going to be Rick and there is nothing I can do about that just as I couldn't do anything when I was screaming for the mavs to draft Eric Paschall only for them to trade back and take Isaiah Roby or when I was screaming again for them to draft Saddiq Bey only to hear Josh Green's name be called. All I'm saying is that this year's team(on paper) is much better than either of the two teams Luka has played on and DFS has had a starting role on. We have better options than what we've rolled out these last couple years and we should act accordingly.

I'll just throw this in here too for good measure:

https://youtu.be/DyyGMRPj358
GQ2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Today, 12:32 AM   #2082
tap2390
Platinum Member

tap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by GQ2003 View Post
You can look for as long as you want and you will not find a 3 minute highlight of DFS shutting down one of the best players in the game. Finding a 10 second highlight of Luka blocking Lebron twice in a possession or of Lebron dunking on Johnson on one play during Johnson's rookie year isn't the same as a three minute highlight all from the same game of Johnson repeatedly giving Lebron issues.

Rick is going to be Rick and there is nothing I can do about that just as I couldn't do anything when I was screaming for the mavs to draft Eric Paschall only for them to trade back and take Isaiah Roby or when I was screaming again for them to draft Saddiq Bey only to hear Josh Green's name be called. All I'm saying is that this year's team(on paper) is much better than either of the two teams Luka has played on and DFS has had a starting role on. We have better options than what we've rolled out these last couple years and we should act accordingly.

Fuck man this whole time we’ve been rolling with our experienced GM who executed deals to get us Luka and Porzingis and our championship coach who led the most efficient offense in NBA history when we should’ve handed the reigns to you!
Old Today, 12:42 AM   #2083
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Again with the video clips...from 2017 no less.

Josh green or sadiqq bey haven't played a single game. There is no data to back any claim that it was a bad call. Give it some time.

I've said I don't hate Johnson starting personally but you know what to expect here. Its too early to be arguing and whining about opinions of what Rick should do when we really just don't know. Hell,he may not even know yet. We may not even have the same roster to start season.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:00 AM   #2084
GQ2003

GQ2003 is a jewel in the roughGQ2003 is a jewel in the roughGQ2003 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Fuck man this whole time we’ve been rolling with our experienced GM who executed deals to get us Luka and Porzingis and our championship coach who led the most efficient offense in NBA history when we should’ve handed the reigns to you!
You guys are funny. So I guess because they were able to take advantage of the ineptitude of franchises like the NY Knicks, the Sacramento Kings, the Phoenix Suns and the Atlanta Hawks that our experienced GM is beyond criticism. How many drafts have the mavs completely bombed while teams like SA, Miami, GS and Toronto find and develop diamonds in the rough while drafting after us more often than not? I guess you were happy with them blowing up the championship team AND passing on the likes of Giannis/Gobert so that we could draft Shane "the next JJ Barea" Larkin and chase after Deron Williams and Dwight Howard? Or wasting away all of Dirk's years after the championship? They get credit for doing what it took to grab Luka and KP but forgive me for not throwing blind trust into a front office that constructed a team that brought the franchise its first title in 30 yrs only to immediately blow it up before they even had a chance to defend it.
Old Today, 01:09 AM   #2085
GQ2003

Quote:
Again with the video clips...from 2017 no less.

Josh green or sadiqq bey haven't played a single game. There is no data to back any claim that it was a bad call. Give it some time.

I've said I don't hate Johnson starting personally but you know what to expect here. Its too early to be arguing and whining about opinions of what Rick should do when we really just don't know. Hell,he may not even know yet. We may not even have the same roster to start season.
I just posted that video because I figured mavs fans could all enjoy watching Marcus Morris get dunked on by a current maverick. As for Bey vs Green, I only brought that up to highlight how I don't have control over what they do no matter how strongly I feel about it.

There's no arguments or fighting coming from me. This is a discussion board and I have enjoyed the back and forth banter. At the end of the day, I'm excited about the roster and I see some pieces(Richardson & Johnson) that could make a major impact. The talent on this team has been upgraded in a major way and I think this team could realistically make it to the WCF as currently constructed (provided KP and the team stays relatively healthy).
Old Today, 01:34 AM   #2086
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
You guys are funny. So I guess because they were able to take advantage of the ineptitude of franchises like the NY Knicks, the Sacramento Kings, the Phoenix Suns and the Atlanta Hawks that our experienced GM is beyond criticism. How many drafts have the mavs completely bombed while teams like SA, Miami, GS and Toronto find and develop diamonds in the rough while drafting after us more often than not? I guess you were happy with them blowing up the championship team AND passing on the likes of Giannis/Gobert so that we could draft Shane "the next JJ Barea" Larkin and chase after Deron Williams and Dwight Howard? Or wasting away all of Dirk's years after the championship? They get credit for doing what it took to grab Luka and KP but forgive me for not throwing blind trust into a front office that constructed a team that brought the franchise its first title in 30 yrs only to immediately blow it up before they even had a chance to defend it.
Yeah I wouldn't necessarily say it took the skill of Donnie Nelson to get Luka. For as long as Donnie has been on the job.......there's been a lot of bad starting with his lack of valuing draft picks. To me that's what separates a good GM from a bad one. Can you still build a team with young cheap prospects? I saw the Spurs and Thunder do it regardless of where they drafted.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:51 AM   #2087
Thespiralgoeson
Diamond Member

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Who exactly said Donnie Nelson was beyond criticism? I've been here almost as long as you- going on 16 years- I've seen no shortage of disdain for the Cuban/Nelson brain trust over the years, for all of the reasons you just mentioned, plus several more.

The general consensus about Donnie Nelson seems to be that he's great at trades, awful at free agency, and average to mediocre at drafting. Specifically, he has a great eye for European talent, but not so much with everyone else, and more importantly that he and Cuban have wasted a lot of potentially good years by not valuing the draft as a whole, and consistently trading away picks for washed up veterans.

In Donnie's 20+ years, I'd probably give him about a B+. There's been a lot of success, but some pretty glaring failures too. The B+ is probably a bit generous, but I'm giving him some leeway because the future looks pretty bright right now.

EDIT: as for passing on Giannis, blame Cuban for that one, not Donnie. Donnie was extremely high on Giannis and lobbied Cuban hard to pick him. Cuban overruled Donnie on that one, and that was a far worse mistake than "blowing up the championship team" as far as I'm concerned.

On that note though, people say the Mavs "blew up the championship team" a lot, but that line has always struck me as slightly revisionist.

Letting Tyson Chandler go =/= "blowing up the championship team." The Mavs kept the 2011 roster largely intact, and indeed, the 2012 roster-on paper at least- was really, really good. If Lamar Odom didn't turn out to be a washed up crackhead, they might well have made a deep run that year. They didn't lose Tyson Chandler and bring back nothing in return. They replaced him with the reigning sixth man of the year, and also added a still very productive Vince Carter. But unfortunately, Odom did turn out to be a washed up crackhead, and it destroyed their season. After that, the team blew itself up because they were old as f***ing dirt.

I'm not saying letting Chandler walk was a good decision. It wasn't. But the "blew up the championship team" thing is a big overstatement.

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; Today at 06:30 AM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:56 AM   #2088
Heezzi

Heezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to allHeezzi is a name known to all

People hated that Odom was brought on in the first PLACE. That Rondo trade was equally terrible.
Heezzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:02 AM   #2089
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I just posted that video because I figured mavs fans could all enjoy watching Marcus Morris get dunked on by a current maverick. As for Bey vs Green, I only brought that up to highlight how I don't have control over what they do no matter how strongly I feel about it.

There's no arguments or fighting coming from me. This is a discussion board and I have enjoyed the back and forth banter. At the end of the day, I'm excited about the roster and I see some pieces(Richardson & Johnson) that could make a major impact. The talent on this team has been upgraded in a major way and I think this team could realistically make it to the WCF as currently constructed (provided KP and the team stays relatively healthy).
Maybe they can get to WCF. I still think we need a clear upgrade at the 4 spot. Whether thats JJ or simply an improved DFS or via trade idk. WCS improving could be huge for us, but I'd be surprised to see Rick run him with KP as often as many of us would like.

Rick has lots of new toys to play with and most of them are 2 way players or project to be. So I think the lineups will be more fluid even in this odd season coming.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:38 AM   #2090
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heezzi View Post
People hated that Odom was brought on in the first PLACE. That Rondo trade was equally terrible.
We got Powell out of it.....he swung and missed but I think we did get the best player out of the deal.
Old Today, 09:22 AM   #2091
tap2390
Platinum Member

tap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant future

Quote:

Got it, every successful move is a result of others' ineptitude. Every bad move is a result of ours. I suppose if you were the GM you'd have a 100% hit on every single move.
Old Today, 09:25 AM   #2092
Dallas41

Dallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to all

Quote:
Maybe they can get to WCF. I still think we need a clear upgrade at the 4 spot. Whether thats JJ or simply an improved DFS or via trade idk. WCS improving could be huge for us, but I'd be surprised to see Rick run him with KP as often as many of us would like.

Rick has lots of new toys to play with and most of them are 2 way players or project to be. So I think the lineups will be more fluid even in this odd season coming.

That's the million dollar question...

After watching the Lakers get to the finals playing AD often at PF next to Dwight or McGee as a 2nd rim protector on the floor. It always makes me wonder why WCS and KP don't at least play 10-12 MPG up front together.

Seems like they could duplicate some of those same things the Lakers bigs were able bring to table together.

I mean Dwight and Javale aren't stretch bigs and it didn't seem to effect the spacing on offense for AD and they were tough to score inside on defensively.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:27 AM   #2093
Thespiralgoeson
Diamond Member

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heezzi View Post
Who's "people?" You? I remember both moves like they were yesterday. They were both popular at the time.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:36 AM   #2094
Dallas41

Dallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to all

Quote:
I'm with you on the title team....

I don't ever a recall a championship team in any sport willingly blowing it up after they just won it all.

Most of the times those teams get picked apart by free agency unable to retain their key players because they didn't have the cap space.

Look at Miami this year they brought back basically everyone including Myles Freakin Leonard. They wanted to really keep Crowder but the Suns just had a better offer.

I personally think had the Mavs kept TC and still added VC that year they would have made another deep playoff run.
Old Today, 09:39 AM   #2095
Dallas41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Who's "people?" You? I remember both moves like they were yesterday. They were both popular at the time.
I didn't want Odom because he was part of that thug score losing Lakers team that cheap shotted JJB after the Mavs were blowing them out in the Playoffs.

I despised him and Andrew Bynum.

Last edited by Dallas41; Today at 09:39 AM.
Old Today, 10:07 AM   #2096
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
Yeah I don’t care what no one says everyone felt the Odom and Rondi moves were great. People are revising history. I’ll admit I hated the move in hindsight but those moves made sense when you were trying to put pieces around Dirk.
Old Today, 10:08 AM   #2097
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
I didn't want Odom because he was part of that thug score losing Lakers team that cheap shotted JJB after the Mavs were blowing them out in the Playoffs.

I despised him and Andrew Bynum.
I don’t recall Odom being apart of that just Bynum. Either way Mavs swept them
And won a ring. I didn’t even think about the Lakers at that time.
Old Today, 10:14 AM   #2098
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

https://twitter.com/THEwillieCS15/st...87515346030594
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote