Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-14-2018, 02:15 PM   #41
saclare
Golden Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
This is why I dont worry about draft position and follow college players. It makes the season even worse. Ive seen Ayton play and thats it. And I never thought wed be drafting one or two so its pointless to get worked up.
Must spread rep.

However, I do follow it a little more than casually, definitely not heavily. I really like the fact that there are really good players spread out a little more than in recent years. I can see quite a few teams winning this year's tournament. I recommend watching a little bit of it.

For what it's worth, I have Villanova winning it all, praise be Mikal.
saclare is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2018, 02:17 PM   #42
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

..and cue all the stat geeks and history of the difference of drafting high.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:35 PM   #43
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
I find it tiring to care about the draft. I understand the implications for the future blah blah blah.

I'm rooting for my Mavs. For Dirk, obviously, but the development seen in the younger players has been pleasant to watch. If it's a win, it's a win. If it's a loss, it's a loss. I am honestly finding it a fun team to watch and interact with each other.

I'm not saying everyone here is anti-Mavs or anything, but the constant pessimism on the board regarding the draft position or future of this team is dragging.

I see these guys fighting their ass off every game now, and I love it. You can chalk that up to whatever you want, whether that's Cuban's comments or simply playing shit teams and realizing the Mavs aren't THAT bad, and be thankful, to be honest.

Can you imagine being a fan of some of these teams? I'd rather root for these guys any day of the week and show my ass to the draft.

Which, by the way, we will still be drafting top 9 when it is all said and done. Plenty of talent to work with and continue building on our team.

3.5 games separate us from the bottom. Admittedly, that would be ultra-tough to reach the Grizzlies awfulness. But keep in mind the teams between #1 and #9 and anything can happen, not to mention lottery balls.

Have fun with it. Stop being so negative.
I get where you're coming from man, but these little victories mean really next to nothing. For nobody.

Two words: Tim Duncan. Imagine if the Spurs had taken this sort of laissez- faire approach to the draft. They recognized the time to tank and went full on tank. They then drafted gems like Ginobli, Parker, George Hill (who became Kawhi). Thank god for Dirk is all I have to say. Cuban is a clown and Donnie a yes man. And Rick is a great, yet flawed, coach. They can't see the bigger picture. We are the Anti- Spurs.

What are they playing for? Pride? A fool's errand. If they really, truly, got the talking to from Silver behind closed doors then ok. I just don't see it. The Grizzlies are in the midst of one of the most egregious tanks in history. Philly did it for years and basically flauted and flaunted it. So just because dumbass Cuban has the gall to use the actual word "tank" they are going to bring the hammer down? Maybe? I still don't see why they cant "rest" Harrison Barnes, or have him come down with an ankle injury. Same with JJ. or play Barnes 25 mins. And JJ 10. Play Jones, Motley, collinsworth. Its not that hard. If anyone balks ship their asses out, asap. Dirk excepted.

Last edited by mac222b; 03-14-2018 at 02:38 PM.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 02:57 PM   #44
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Listen, you can make the argument against having to pick Ayton at number 1 in the days where his type of center aren't as important.

You can make the arguments against Doncic, JJJ, Porter and so on.

But not having a top 5 pick means you don't even get to debate those types of players. It means having to settle with Carter or Bridges versus choosing who you want. Or trading back a spot or two while gaining assets like Boston did with Tatum.

There is no bright picture to paint drafting lower than 7. If we pick 7, then I'll be OK with it. Anything lower is a huge failure.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 03-14-2018 at 02:57 PM.
DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 03:05 PM   #45
saclare
Golden Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

I completely understand your viewpoints, too.

I just enjoy seeing the guys develop and playing better as of late. And absolutely do not sit Harrison Barnes. He is one of the top guys I want getting as much developmental game minutes out there.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:16 PM   #46
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Listen, you can make the argument against having to pick Ayton at number 1 in the days where his type of center aren't as important.

But not having a top 5 pick means you don't even get to debate those types of players. It means having to settle with Carter or Bridges versus choosing who you want. Or trading back a spot or two while gaining assets like Boston did with Tatum.

There is no bright picture to paint drafting lower than 7. If we pick 7, then I'll be OK with it. Anything lower is a huge failure.
Truth. Its conceivable that we miss out on: Ayton, Doncic, JJJ, Bagley, Bamba, Porter AND Bridges if we pick lower than 7. If we are 8 or 9 we may have to settle for Carter, Miles Bridges, Trae Young, Sexton or trade back. Granted, all it takes is one point guard going ahead of us and we get one of the consensus "top 7" who drop. But that not the same as having your choice between 3 or 4 guys.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:17 PM   #47
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

I just enjoy seeing the guys develop and playing better as of late. And absolutely do not sit Harrison Barnes. He is one of the top guys I want getting as much developmental game minutes out there.
Then why play Powell 9 minutes this game? Just because of matchups? I'm starting to view him as a piece going forward, but I'll be flabbergasted if he is just suddenly benched for no reason. It'll be a total waste of time and effort to do that considering how far he has come. And for DFS? My god, I can't believe DFS is still on the team.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:35 PM   #48
mac222b
Diamond Member

Quote:

Don't get me wrong. I want to see the guys that are part of this team's future plans develop and I love continuing to see Dirk thrive. But even Dirk knows the jig is up.

And I'm not really sure Barnes is part of this team's future tbh. I'm sure MBT has a much clearer picture of that. Depends on who we get in the draft. What happens in FA, etc. How much he improves again this offseason(can he up his 3 point%, work on handles?). DSJ is till 7 yrs or so out from what should be his prime. Not sure Barnes is around for that. Barnes was +17 last night in 34 minutes. He should've played around 25. Same with DSJ who was +18 in 31. Play Jones and Collinsworth for "development". I highly doubt that either Barnes or DSJ will ever look back at meaningless game # 68 in a lost season as the turning point for their careers. What they ultimately become will be decided mainly by offseason work, diet, conditioning and certain inherent limitations(height, athleticism).

The best thing that could happen to either of them is we draft a star this June
Old 03-14-2018, 04:21 PM   #49
Bryan_Wilson
Diamond Member

Bryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond reputeBryan_Wilson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post

This. And what really upsets me is if we miss on this draft, guess what we are doing next year? Unless DSJ explodes into a bonafide star we are right back where we are now, rooting for a good draft pick. Even then we would have to hope he would lure a free agent here because in the league now you can't win with 1 star. However if we got a top 5 pick we would legitimately have 2 blue chip prospects to work with going forward. Not saying you can't get one outside the top 5(this year it's possible maybe with a top 7) but all drafts are not equal. Last year's was considered one of the deepest with "all star potential" in a while. It didn't have the highlight of the draft like an ayton or simmons or lebron but it was full of the next tier guys. That's the only reason we got Smith, and even then it took Phil Jackson doing us a favor taking Frank. Imagine where we would be right now if we had Frank or Monk instead of DSJ. This one has multiple guys who likely would have gone ahead of Fultz, Tatum etc last year. And if we draft 9th none of the people available will be that type of talent. We could get lucky and have the next Leonard or Mitchell but the odds of that happening are't great to put it lightly.
Bryan_Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 10:52 AM   #50
saclare
Golden Member

DWHS + mac, I do agree, rotations have been a little weird. Powell may have had his minutes diverted to Warney for that game. Perhaps we see more DFS and less Barnes.

Again, listening to the players and coaches, it sounds like they feel there's no choice but to play their best and try to compete and win due to Cuban's comments.

I don't know. It's been a weird situation. Maybe we just let it all play out.
Old 03-15-2018, 11:28 AM   #51
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
DWHS + mac, I do agree, rotations have been a little weird. Powell may have had his minutes diverted to Warney for that game. Perhaps we see more DFS and less Barnes.

Again, listening to the players and coaches, it sounds like they feel there's no choice but to play their best and try to compete and win due to Cuban's comments.

I don't know. It's been a weird situation. Maybe we just let it all play out.
And this, like our slumping pick, is just a symptom of the fact that the FO can't figure what they want to do. Almost more shocking than Cuban tanking comments was the fact that he said this is the last season we tank. What? I don't even know what that means.

Like my glass half full scenario next season is DSJ/Bridges/Barnes/Powell/Noel as our starting lineup. That is a great balance of offense and defense while developing youth.

But I just know that no matter what happens the Mavs will throw some stupid, unnecessary curveball to play vets, or bench players yada yada yada.

At least plan powder was a plan. We knew what the FO was going to do summer after summer, flawed or not.

Right now, we have no clue what they want to do...and neither do they.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:29 PM   #52
saclare
Golden Member

I think that is true. Definitely seems like some disconnect. Here's to hoping they ca figure it out and position ourselves inside the top 7 at the least.