Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: What will the result of the game be?
Mavs win by 20+ 1 16.67%
Mavs win by 10-19 2 33.33%
Mavs win by 1-9 2 33.33%
Mavs lose by 1-9 1 16.67%
Mavs lose by 10-19 0 0%
Mavs lose by 20+ 0 0%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-23-2020, 10:34 AM   #161
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
I loved Mejri as a "break glass in case of emergency" player. He would bang bodies around.

Boban is a waste of a roster spot
The way Boban is/isn't utilized - I agree with you 100%. I really have no idea why he's still on the team. Surely, there is a cheaper option to get basketballs stuck on top of backboards. LOL

Last edited by turin; 02-23-2020 at 10:35 AM.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-2020, 11:07 AM   #162
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
This is just complete garbage and purely conjecture. Did you even watch the game? Did you not see in the few minutes he played how he blocked the guy going in for a layup? He followed that up about 30 seconds later with a practically flat-footed rebound put-back for a score. Very few people drive the rim when he's in there, and as a result, he doesn't have the number of blocks people would expect. But make no mistake, just because his analytics don't reflect numbers you'd like to see does not mean he's not a rim protector. The guy is a 7'4" oak tree with a huge wing span standing in front of the rim. You're really going to take the position that he's not a rim protector? LMFAO!

End of game scenarios, you NEED defensive paint presence and rebounding. So what if Boban isn't the first guy down the floor on a fast break? At the end of the game, you play defense and get the rebound if there is one. No fast break needed here. No sprinting required if you've got the lead. If you don't have the lead, you either call a timeout or push the ball down the court to see about getting a quick shot off. Yeah, maybe Boban doesn't get back as quickly as you would like in this scenario, but I'll trade this scenario all day long with the one where he isn't in the game, and the other team gets a layup or a put-back off an offensive rebound and the Mavs have ZERO chance of winning.

This ridiculous line of thinking would have put Prime Shaq on the bench for situational work because the guy couldn't shoot FT's, much less 3-pt shots. That's just plain stupid imo. 3 or 4 guys who can shoot 3's is plenty to have on the court. Yeah, I know the numbers and #AnalyticsFTW, but don't discount versatility and balance. The way the game is played in the closing minutes is very different than the way the first 45 or so are played. There is a world of difference in the shots available.
I said the guy isn't suitable, not that he shouldn't have been in there last night.

The original point from DHWS was that WCS would have made a difference and I agreed but added that simply signing Mejri (opposed to Boban) would have been a simple solution to all of this because Rick would have put him in the game in that situation. Boban would have been better than getting dominated in the paint but in Rick's defense, I can see why he didn't put Boban in the game because Dedmon and Collins can shoot. He had limited options so he went small.

If you go back and look at my comment when Maxi fouled out, Maxi gone....game over because I knew Rick wasn't going to put Boban in the game. He most likely would have put WCS or Mejri in that situation.
Boban is simply a waste of roster spot because he won't be used unless there is another dominate low post go-to threat like Shaq, Malone, Hakeem or someone of that caliber.

But I can't agree with your point about Boban being a good defender just because he is 7'4"....not in today's game. He might be built like an oak tree but he also has the footspeed of one. He gets switched and he lacks the foot speed to recover. He stands and clogs the lane and that is one less defender to guard the multiple bigs that can stretch the floor. He's entertaining and a great guy to have on the roster but very limited and the reason why he's a journeyman.

I wish Rick would have put him in the game after Maxi fouled out but I can also understand why he didn't.

Last edited by rimrocker; 02-23-2020 at 11:33 AM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:17 AM   #163
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
I loved Mejri as a "break glass in case of emergency" player. He would bang bodies around.

Boban is a waste of a roster spot
Yeah, Mejri must have wanted to move on to get more PT somewhere else, even if that meant outside of the NBA.

He seemed to embrace his role on this team though and always seemed to be ready. With the unknown's surrounding KP, it would have made sense to me to have a mobile shot-blocking big to provide some type of presence in the paint. He is obviously limited offensively but we have plenty of offense in other positions.

Boban just doesn't make sense for this team and honestly I don't see MKG as a fit either but hopefully he will prove me wrong.
Old 02-23-2020, 11:31 AM   #164
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
The way Boban is/isn't utilized - I agree with you 100%. I really have no idea why he's still on the team. Surely, there is a cheaper option to get basketballs stuck on top of backboards. LOL
I can't imagine seeing much of Boban again this season unless there is just a very special situation or to provide entertainment in garbage time.
Unfortunately I have a feeling WCS will fill more of the Boban/Mejri role than Powell's role.

Last edited by rimrocker; 02-23-2020 at 11:35 AM.
Old 02-23-2020, 11:32 AM   #165
Dallas41

Dallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to all

Why are people suggesting Boban couldn't play late in that game last night?

Has anyone ever thought hey the Hawks are terrible at shooting 3's

Dedmon and Collins had no impact outside the paint they feasted on the offensive glass with putbacks vs smaller mavs players even with kleber on the floor they still got rebounds because kleber couldn't defend and box out both of them at the same time.

The mavs never bothered to play a zone and use boban and kleber together in that zone defense.

Your not asking boban to chase a bunch of non shooters around on the perimeter the last 3-4 minutes of that game if your playing a zone. Instead you have him planted right smack in the middle of the paint waiting for Tra Young on those drives to the basket.

Everyone keeps saying if we had WCS last night. Well we didn't have WCS but we did have Boban, Maxi and DFS and that lineup was never even put on the floor together despite Atlanta playing two bigs most of the game that don't really shoot 3's well enough to burn your team.

Not one single person outside of SMC made that reference to their lack of shooting and yet boban was still glued to the bench

And I'm not 100% confident WCS would have played last night either because RC was hell bent on playing small that game regardless of matchups.

WCS has sat the bench in these exact same scenarios before and yet some people never cared because they said RC was doing the right thing do to him bogging the #1 offense down.

Now all of a sudden his lack of a availability was important given that situation as if we haven't seen this team in that situation countless times before getting killed on the glass vs a bigger team late in games.

MKG has played two games now and his minutes have come at the 5 spot just like RC spoke of when he signed here. Let that synch in when we are discussing Boban and WCS playing time moving forward there's another option now ahead of them both at the 5 we just don't see him as a true 5 like the coach does

Last edited by Dallas41; 02-23-2020 at 11:36 AM.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:33 AM   #166
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
Boban just doesn't make sense for this team and honestly I don't see MKG as a fit either but hopefully he will prove me wrong.
As far as Smartest Headcoach In Texas, Bobie is a pacifier for Dončic, and a big brother for Porzingis and Kleber. Nothing more.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 11:49 AM   #167
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
Why are people suggesting Boban couldn't play late in that game last night?

Has anyone ever thought hey the Hawks are terrible at shooting 3's

Dedmon and Collins had no impact outside the paint they feasted on the offensive glass with putbacks vs smaller mavs players even with kleber on the floor they still got rebounds because kleber couldn't defend and box out both of them at the same time.

The mavs never bothered to play a zone and use boban and kleber together in that zone defense.

Your not asking boban to chase a bunch of non shooters around on the perimeter the last 3-4 minutes of that game if your playing a zone. Instead you have him planted right smack in the middle of the paint waiting for Tra Young on those drives to the basket.

Everyone keeps saying if we had WCS last night. Well we didn't have WCS but we did have Boban, Maxi and DFS and that lineup was never even put on the floor together despite Atlanta playing two bigs most of the game that don't really shoot 3's well enough to burn your team.

Not one single person outside of SMC made that reference to their lack of shooting and yet boban was still glued to the bench

And I'm not 100% confident WCS would have played last night either because RC was hell bent on playing small that game regardless of matchups.

WCS has sat the bench in these exact same scenarios before and yet some people never cared because they said RC was doing the right thing do to him bogging the #1 offense down.

Now all of a sudden his lack of a availability was important given that situation as if we haven't seen this team in that situation countless times before getting killed on the glass vs a bigger team late in games.

MKG has played two games now and his minutes have come at the 5 spot just like RC spoke of when he signed here. Let that synch in when we are discussing Boban and WCS playing time moving forward there's another option now ahead of them both at the 5 we just don't see him as a true 5 like the coach does
Except those 3s are what got them back in the game and eventually killed us. Young was absolutely clutch with them. Boban wasn't going to help out in that regard.

As far as rim protection, can't do much better than what DFS did on Young's layup. You can't blame that one on RC but I'm sure you will find a way.

Last edited by rimrocker; 02-23-2020 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-23-2020, 12:01 PM   #168
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Very few people drive the rim when he's in there, and as a result, he doesn't have the number of blocks people would expect.
Lol c’mon. This is just dumb. It’s also not true, in the slightest, that teams stop driving when he’s in the game. 3 of the first 4 shots after he came in the game were attacking the basket.

4:47 Boban Marjanovic enters the game for Maxi Kleber
4:36 Cam Reddish makes driving layup (Dewayne Dedmon assists)
4:10 Boban Marjanovic blocks Kevin Huerter 's 1-foot driving layup
3:55 Jeff Teague misses 26-foot three point jumper
3:19 Boban Marjanovic shooting foul
3:19 Cam Reddish makes free throw 1 of 2
3:19 Cam Reddish makes free throw 2 of 2

Last edited by FreshJive; 02-23-2020 at 12:01 PM.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 12:34 PM   #169
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
Lol címon. This is just dumb. Itís also not true, in the slightest, that teams stop driving when heís in the game. 3 of the first 4 shots after he came in the game were attacking the basket.

4:47Boban Marjanovic enters the game for Maxi Kleber
4:36Cam Reddish makes driving layup (Dewayne Dedmon assists)
4:10Boban Marjanovic blocks Kevin Huerter 's 1-foot driving layup
3:55Jeff Teague misses 26-foot three point jumper
3:19Boban Marjanovic shooting foul
3:19Cam Reddish makes free throw 1 of 2
3:19Cam Reddish makes free throw 2 of 2
So? When you don't play a zone and you make your big guy switch out and go out to the 3 point line to guard shooters that leaves nobody under the basket with size. Of course they're gonna attack the hoop.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Old 02-23-2020, 12:48 PM   #170
turin
Diamond Member

Quote:
So? When you don't play a zone and you make your big guy switch out and go out to the 3 point line to guard shooters that leaves nobody under the basket with size. Of course they're gonna attack the hoop.

If your coach is stubborn and doesn't play a zone and instead puts your big guy in and expects him to switch off and chase shooters to the 3 point line, when a layup is given up because he's not under the basket, he takes a stat hit, and it definitely doesn't reflect upon him not having an opportunity to deter a drive or get a block. Looking at the analytics, you would assume that he's no shot blocker. That's just stupid.

Last edited by turin; 02-23-2020 at 05:21 PM.
Old 02-23-2020, 02:10 PM   #171
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

https://twitter.com/dan_const/status...314216961?s=21

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 02-23-2020 at 02:21 PM. Reason: d
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 02:20 PM   #172
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

A few notes:

1) Boban is not a good defender. He is so slow that he gives up a lot inside and on the drive which makes the perimeter fail. I love the guy, but he plays when we're down players or simply need offense more than we need to defend.

2) No Luka/KP is what lost us the game, and...

3) Hawks have been really hot at home, beating great teams like the Heat, Sixers, and Clippers, but...

4) Those refs were so so so bad. We were up 3 possessions and then the refs blatantly miss an out-of-bounds call that turns momentum. Miss 2 more over the final minute. The ref calls were what swung the game. Cost us 6 points in a 3-pt loss. So frustrating. No wonder Mark is on the rampage. Sadly, the complaints will probably actually make reffing for us worse as refs come in with an anti-Mark or anti-Mavs attitude.

https://twitter.com/dan_const/status...314216961?s=21

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 02-23-2020 at 02:21 PM.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 04:28 PM   #173
Dallas41

Dallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
Except those 3s are what got them back in the game and eventually killed us. Young was absolutely clutch with them. Boban wasn't going to help out in that regard.

As far as rim protection, can't do much better than what DFS did on Young's layup. You can't blame that one on RC but I'm sure you will find a way.
They shot 8/37 from 3 pt range dude

Your bound to make 1 or 2 eventually but the point is they beat Dallas by crashing the offensive glass after they kept missing those 3's

If you get a defensive rebound young doesnt get 2nd chances to make 3's

A zone with boaban, kleber and DFS down low stops those killer 2nd chance buckets the hawks bigs got late in that game.

To say something won't work when you haven't tried it is foolish

But What we know didn't work again was the garbage small ball lineups that we stubbornly keep trying to make work.

For crying out loud MKG is playing center minutes for this team in both games he played

Last edited by Dallas41; 02-23-2020 at 04:31 PM.
Old 02-23-2020, 05:35 PM   #174
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

@TheSteinLine: The Dallas Mavericks, citing a "misapplication of the rules," have filed an official protest of Saturday's road loss to the Atlanta Hawks to the league office, @NYTSports has learned. Dallas will be making the case that the end of the game should be replayed, with Atlanta ahead by two points and a jump ball with 9.7 seconds remaining.

The Mavericks, sources say, believe league rules should have prevented John Collins' decisive basket to stand. The officials on the floor allowed Collins' basket to count following a video review that overturned a goaltending call.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-23-2020 at 05:37 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 05:48 PM   #175
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If your coach is stubborn and doesn't play a zone and instead puts your big guy in and expects him to switch off and chase shooters to the 3 point line, when a layup is given up because he's not under the basket, he takes a stat hit, and it definitely doesn't reflect upon him not having an opportunity to deter a drive or get a block. Looking at the analytics, you would assume that he's no shot blocker. That's just stupid.

You said Boban doesnít get blocks, because players are too afraid of him lol. Now the excuse is that he is incapable of playing defense anywhere on the court except for right under the basket. He doesnít get blocks because heís not a great shotblocker. Rudy Gobert really isnít that great of a shotblocker, itís just that nobody is afraid to attack him, and he cheats by using his athleticism to move around the court quickly.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:39 PM   #176
DavidDaMonkey
Platinum Member

DavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond reputeDavidDaMonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Hey turin, say one nice things about the Mavericks. I dare you.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:41 PM   #177
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

Blocks per 48

KP (3.1 blocks per 48) - 13th in league
Gobert (2.7 blocks per 48) - 18th in league
WCS (2.6blocks per 48) - 20th in league
Kleber (2.2blocks per 48) - 27th in league
Powell (1.0 blocks per 48) - 88th in the league
Boban (1.0 blocks per 48)
Wright (0.8 blocks per 48)
DFS (0.6blocks per 48)

It's funny how fans are. Powell couldn't defend or block a shot so the board hated him. Boban is 7'3" and yet our worst defensive player and an equally poor shotblocker and he's the difference-maker.
Old 02-23-2020, 06:44 PM   #178
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
They shot 8/37 from 3 pt range dude

Your bound to make 1 or 2 eventually but the point is they beat Dallas by crashing the offensive glass after they kept missing those 3's

If you get a defensive rebound young doesnt get 2nd chances to make 3's

A zone with boaban, kleber and DFS down low stops those killer 2nd chance buckets the hawks bigs got late in that game.

To say something won't work when you haven't tried it is foolish

But What we know didn't work again was the garbage small ball lineups that we stubbornly keep trying to make work.

For crying out loud MKG is playing center minutes for this team in both games he played
Yeps.

I'm still not saying Boban is the answer but I completely agree that you gotta try. You gotta change something in that scenario and Boban was all we had and the zone seemed like the obvious option.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2020, 06:54 PM   #179
Dallas41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
@TheSteinLine: The Dallas Mavericks, citing a "misapplication of the rules," have filed an official protest of Saturday's road loss to the Atlanta Hawks to the league office, @NYTSports has learned. Dallas will be making the case that the end of the game should be replayed, with Atlanta ahead by two points and a jump ball with 9.7 seconds remaining.

The Mavericks, sources say, believe league rules should have prevented John Collins' decisive basket to stand. The officials on the floor allowed Collins' basket to count following a video review that overturned a goaltending call.
Mavs were up double digits in that 4th qtr

Yes it sucks that one play cost us a potential defensive stop but I don't think this game was about the officiating

They had 16 turnovers that led to 26 Hawks points and they again collapsed down the stretch. I doubt anything gets reversed and rightfully so because there were plenty of other opportunities to put them away.

Portland had a goal tending call that was blatantly obvious but nothing changed the outcome of that game.

Cuban was targeted back in the 06 finals and the league watched and did nothing on a bigger stage. It sucks but hey the nba blow calls on a nightly basis that all fans feel hurt their teams.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:19 PM   #180
Dallas41

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Yeps.

I'm still not saying Boban is the answer but I completely agree that you gotta try. You gotta change something in that scenario and Boban was all we had and the zone seemed like the obvious option.
Yeah it's really frustrating watching certain teams like LA and OKC still find ways to play starting centers and backup centers who don't shoot 3s at all.

Watched Adams and Noel today and man what a luxury OKC has in that tandem. They never seem to deviate from their big rotation.

It's so frustrating because I truly see WCS at least equal if not better than Noel yet dude is being phased out here.

They have the type of balance in their rotation that I crave for the mavs to have and donovan might be a top 3 coach of the year candidate considering they were on the verge of blowing that ship up before the start of the year.

That team is going to be a tough out come playoff time.
Old 02-23-2020, 10:59 PM   #181
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah it's really frustrating watching certain teams like LA and OKC still find ways to play starting centers and backup centers who don't shoot 3s at all.

Watched Adams and Noel today and man what a luxury OKC has in that tandem. They never seem to deviate from their big rotation.

It's so frustrating because I truly see WCS at least equal if not better than Noel yet dude is being phased out here.

They have the type of balance in their rotation that I crave for the mavs to have and donovan might be a top 3 coach of the year candidate considering they were on the verge of blowing that ship up before the start of the year.

That team is going to be a tough out come playoff time.
Was WCS ever phased in?

Old 02-23-2020, 11:36 PM   #182
turin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Yeps.

At least somebody else gets it. Boban was the only big body left on the bench. Too many of you act like I'm pushing for him to start and play 30+ minutes/game. SMH

Old 02-23-2020, 11:42 PM   #183
turin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
You said Boban doesnít get blocks, because players are too afraid of him lol. Now the excuse is that he is incapable of playing defense anywhere on the court except for right under the basket. He doesnít get blocks because heís not a great shotblocker. Rudy Gobert really isnít that great of a shotblocker, itís just that nobody is afraid to attack him, and he cheats by using his athleticism to move around the court quickly.
Go troll somebody else. I don't believe you can't understand the difference in defensive positions in man vs zone defense for a 5. If you really don't understand, then it won't matter what I say. lol

For most people, it's obvious that a big isn't a very good rim protector when he's out at the 3-pt line. (Shrug)

Last edited by turin; 02-23-2020 at 11:47 PM.
Old 02-24-2020, 12:13 AM   #184
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But that's THEIR system. Not Carlisle's system

We plays bigs more than Denver and Utah yet we still have fans who think we play small ball all the time. Small ball is what the Clippers and the Rockets play
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:28 AM   #185
SMC0007
Diamond Member

Quote:

We plays bigs more than Denver and Utah yet we still have fans who think we play small ball all the time. Small ball is what the Clippers and the Rockets play
Playing bigs isn't the issue. It's playing them together. KP and WCS. Maxi and Boban or whatever combo you want. I find it hard to believe that we play our bigs together more than the elite teams aside from. Clips

Old 02-24-2020, 07:33 AM   #186
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Playing bigs isn't the issue. It's playing them together. KP and WCS. Maxi and Boban or whatever combo you want. I find it hard to believe that we play our bigs together more than the elite teams aside from. Clips
We play Maxi and KP together all the time... And Powell played with both guys when he was healthy as well.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-24-2020 at 08:07 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 08:20 AM   #187
SMC0007
Diamond Member

Talking

Quote:
We play Maxi and KP together all the time... And Powell played with both guys when he was healthy as well.
Ive noticed. KP and WCS is the tandem I'm hoping to see more of.

Old 02-24-2020, 08:50 AM   #188
turin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Yes, and they are very good together. Definitely the Mavs best combo imo, even when DP was healthy, but they can't play 48 minutes together. The Mavs' challenges start the moment one is off the floor, although KP at 5 can work well depending on matchup. Without either, it's a disaster waiting to happen if RC goes small instead of playing another big who he doesn't consider a spacer.

Last edited by turin; 02-24-2020 at 09:06 AM.
Old 02-24-2020, 08:56 AM   #189
turin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Ive noticed. KP and WCS is the tandem I'm hoping to see more of.
Agree. If WCS can become a regular part of the rotation, then he can help cover the Mavs biggest, most glaring weakness from a personnel standpoint, but it's up to RC to use him.

Edit: Even if RC starts utilizing WCS more, say 20 mpg, I'd argue the Mavs still need another big who RC will play regularly for depth. Obviously, Boban is not that guy, so why not release him and get Mejri or somebody similar?

Last edited by turin; 02-24-2020 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:11 AM   #190
Jack.Kerr
Golden Member

Jack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond reputeJack.Kerr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
It sucks but hey the nba blow calls on a nightly basis that all fans feel hurt their teams.

I don't know how many officials it would take to eliminate obviously missed calls, and misapplications fo the rules, but really would like to see the NBA consider simplifiying the rules, and reducing the number of officials involved in the game. Perhaps to one, perhaps to zero.

They could have ten offiicials (one for each player) monitoring camera angles from Seacaucus for each game, and two officials would have to make and agree upon a call in order for game action to be stopped.

Make a bigger court so that players aren't stepping out of bounds as much; extend the arc to eliminate the cheap corner 3; make the lane narrower to bring back the mid-range game; elliminate the defensive 3-second rule, and allow full-on zone defenses. Elminate the goaltending call for shots taken inside the paint, and for shots that have already hit the rim and/or backboard. Close the difference in rules interpretaions between defenders and ballhandlers to eliminate the advantage that offensive players have. Extend quarters to 30-minutes, running continuous clock. Expand rosters (to 20 active players) and eliminate sub-ins. Once a player goes out of the game, no re-entry, making the game more about stamina and strategy than situation substitutions and match-ups. Reduce number of Personal Fouls to 4.

Bring back physical play, bring back the mid-range game, bring back the Bigs. The current NBA of 3s-and-dunks, missed calls and ticky-tack foul calls is fast becoming nigh unwatchable.
Jack.Kerr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 10:04 AM   #191
Dallas41

Quote:

Come on man

We just got done playing c.lee 21 minutes in a game were he did absolutely nothing

This game needed boban more than Lee getting minutes and I don't care about his inability to switch on defense

Play some damn zone defense with him in the game and guarantee boban would have done more than Lee to help the mavs win this game.

Problem is we value small ball way too much even when it's apparent size would help out more in these types of games where Collins and dedmon are kicking our butt on the glass

And for the record small ball works for the clippers because their ring defenders are on another level as opposed to Dallas

They have elite wing defenders with size in K.leonard, George, M.Morris. Plus they have P.Beverly who plays bigger than his size and Harrell plays big

Mavs can't match that type of small ball defense so stop telling me the clippers play small when they have elite small ball wings are 6'8 and up compared to our midgets of Brunson, JJB, Wright, Curry, THJ and Lee.

Last edited by Dallas41; 02-24-2020 at 10:05 AM.
Old 02-24-2020, 11:36 AM   #192
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud ofKillerLeft has much to be proud of

Quote:
Come on man

We just got done playing c.lee 21 minutes in a game were he did absolutely nothing
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to watch this one, so you might be right. But, I think I remember seeing that Lee had maybe the best +/- on the team for the game. Certainly, one of the only good ones. So, maybe he did something that was helpful?
KillerLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2020, 12:17 PM   #193
Dallas41

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillerLeft View Post
Unfortunately, I wasn't able to watch this one, so you might be right. But, I think I remember seeing that Lee had maybe the best +/- on the team for the game. Certainly, one of the only good ones. So, maybe he did something that was helpful?
They actually had a reference to him on another site about his 20 minutes of playing time.

Dude shot 0/4 and committed 4 fouls

RB could have done that from his apartment lol

But seriously Lee seems to be a good teammate but it seems like not a single person is mentioning how a guy like Lee who was supposed to be traded all year sat the bench all year but now has played more minutes than boban lately

I think Lee has started a few games lately to which means if your willing to try stuff like that how come your not willing to at least try and see if WCS can play next to KP for a few minutes or if Boban can play next to Maxi off the bench for a few minutes.

We don't expect 20 mpg from these guys but surely they can compete and help for 10-12 mpg in short spurts per half

I hate to keep mentioning guys like Noel but I really don't see what he does that WCS can't do and Noel is on a good team contributing on a nightly basis vs big and small ball lineups