Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 03-30-2019, 01:46 AM   #601
Melonhead
Diamond Member

Melonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant future

Mavs are one of the slowest teams in the league. Vuc would not help that. I still feel heís an overlap of skills with KP. But we need athleticism again now that DSJ is gone. Luka needs a guard that can take pressure off of him.
Old 03-30-2019, 04:12 AM   #602
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant future

Keep in mind that we don't have to get everything we need in FA this off-season. We'll still have over 22mil of expirings (Lee and Powell if he opts in) to trade up to the deadline. Luka's and KP's ages give us a tremendous window to build and those are the two toughest building blocks to procure so we don't have to blow it all this summer imo.

I'd much rather secure that long-term third option as a FA (Brogdon?) even if that means overpaying and then trade for a 4th area of need if one of our young players don't develop into that roll. Then fill the 5th area of need with cheap vets that fit and want to be on a special team.

I think Brunson's ceiling might be a lot higher than I originally thought though and could still develop into a starter quality player on a PO caliber team. He could also be a nice player to package with Lee/Powell to acquire a 4th starter.

Last edited by rimrocker; 03-30-2019 at 04:22 AM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 10:59 AM   #603
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Amick reporting that the Kings are going after Vuc....that makes sense.

I really hope we can identify our FA guy before july 1st (aka backsources telling us he is going to sign) and we run to him at midnight for the verbal agreement.

I think the chips are going to fall again pretty pretty in the first 30min of free agency
sefant77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 12:58 PM   #604
saclare
Golden Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Amick reporting that the Kings are going after Vuc....that makes sense.

I really hope we can identify our FA guy before july 1st (aka backsources telling us he is going to sign) and we run to him at midnight for the verbal agreement.

I think the chips are going to fall again pretty pretty in the first 30min of free agency
Yea I think we are forgetting there will be a market for Vucevic. He's young and coming off of an All-Star nod and really good season. Likely $22-24mm per year contract, $20mm at the least. Will have to see how it plays out.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 01:53 AM   #605
endtroducing MASKED

endtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to all

28 (29 at the start of next season) is not young for a big man

Last edited by endtroducing MASKED; 03-31-2019 at 01:54 AM.
endtroducing MASKED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 02:37 AM   #606
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by endtroducing MASKED View Post
Itís fine
Old 03-31-2019, 12:24 PM   #607
saclare
Golden Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Quote:
True. I'm not familiar enough with Orlando, but his games played strike me as I hadn't noticed before. He hasn't played a full season in his career averaging ~65 with this being his healthiest season yet. Again, no idea Orlando's maintenance and/or depth/rotation over the years.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:54 PM   #608
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
Itís fine
Prime years are considered until around 32, so almost the entire four years of his new contract is going to be in his prime years.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:57 PM   #609
particleman

particleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
...I'm not super-high on offering max money to Vuc, Boogie, or Kemba...

Not sure if anyone else is worth a max contract, but if we strike out on all the big name FAs, I wouldn't mind going for a combination of Bojan Bogdanovic, Patrick Beverly, and Ed Davis... They'd pretty much cover all of our needs.

Also, I wonder how much Malcom Brogdon costs after his injury? There's gotta be an odd man out in Milwaukee with all the FAs they have, and he seems like the most likely guy at this point. He's a RFA, but I bet you could pry him away for the right price...
I'm not super-high on Vuc, Boogie, or Kemba either. They're higher on my list because they're more talented, and I think generally speaking the smart move is to sign two max guys if you have the room to do so. But if Powell opts out and our only options are Vuc or Boogie and Kemba, I think I'd rather keep the powder dry.

If Bojan is an above average defender then I think he's a good signing, I guess I haven't seen him play enough to say. I definitely don't think we can be very successful if we pair another poor defensive wing with Luka. Assuming Bojan is an average defender or better, I like the idea of signing him, Beverly, and Davis, so long as they aren't all on multi-year contracts that tie up all of our cap space.

The only reason I didn't include Brogdon is because he's restricted, but yeah I think he'd be perfect if Milwaukee let's him go.
particleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 01:14 PM   #610
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by particleman View Post
But if Powell opts out and our only options are Vuc or Boogie and Kemba, I think I'd rather keep the powder dry.
For who you wanna keep the powder dry?
Old 03-31-2019, 01:20 PM   #611
particleman

particleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud ofparticleman has much to be proud of

Quote:
No one in particular. I just worry that team wouldn't be competitive enough to tie up all of our cap space.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:22 PM   #612
sefant77
Guru

2020 FA class is beyond garbage (i expect Davis to find a new home and sign the extention).

Thats why Walker or Vuc are fine this summer. We wont get a better FA next year.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:22 PM   #613
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If we're not getting stars, then whoever we settle on needs to clear out by summer of 2021.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:23 PM   #614
particleman

Quote:
2020 FA class is beyond garbage (i expect Davis to find a new home and sign the extention).

Thats why Walker or Vuc are fine this summer. We wont get a better FA next year.
I think Walker OR Vuc would be ok, I'd be worried about signing Walker AND Vuc.
Old 03-31-2019, 01:36 PM   #615
particleman

Quote:
If we're not getting stars, then whoever we settle on needs to clear out by summer of 2021.
Yeah, I think we might be better off overpaying 3 & D guys on 1-2 year deals this offseason. Maybe front load a big 4 year deal to Brogdon? Figure out how far Luka and KP can carry us with good role players before committing to stars who may or may not mesh.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:08 PM   #616
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

League source says Goran Dragic signing with Mavs is doubtful
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dal...rget-offseason

Quote:
A league source, however, told The News this week that a Dragic-to-Dallas scenario this summer is doubtful, pointing out that Dragic has a player option to remain in Miami next season for a $19.2 million salary.

The source said that Dragic won't opt out and take anything less than $19 million from another team and that Dallas is unlikely to spend nearly two-thirds of its current projection of $30 million in cap space on a guard who will turn 32 next season, had arthroscopic surgery on his right knee in December and has been limited to 29 games this season.
Quote:
The source said another Duffy client, Clippers guard Patrick Beverley, is a more feasible Mavericks fit because he'll be an unrestricted free agent this summer; he's making only $5 million this season; and, though not nearly as skilled offensively as Dragic, would tenaciously defend opposing point guards.

Last edited by Underdog; 04-01-2019 at 06:08 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:21 PM   #617
sefant77
Guru

Oh reaaally, it took "sources" to confirm that Dragic wont opt Out of 20m? Duuuh
Old 04-01-2019, 07:17 PM   #618
Underdog

Quote:
Oh reaaally, it took "sources" to confirm that Dragic wont opt Out of 20m? Duuuh
I thought the more interesting part was the bit about Beverly.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:35 PM   #619
sefant77
Guru

Yeah but thats also a pretty obv part....Beverley is really balling the past months, so he is going to have several suitors. The Mavs were looking at Smart last summer, im sure they are looking at Beverley this summer.

I think he can easily go home with a non taxpayer MLE (4/37m)
Old 04-02-2019, 05:21 PM   #620
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Prime years are considered until around 32, so almost the entire four years of his new contract is going to be in his prime years.
Exactly. Same with Kemba. Their age is not a problem, yet. I donít understand why people think it is an issue.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:50 PM   #621
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
Exactly. Same with Kemba. Their age is not a problem, yet. I donít understand why people think it is an issue.
I didn't see anyone who did... What happened was that saclare said Vucevic was young, and MASKED said 29 isn't young. Nobody said his age was a problem, just that he isn't "young" -- which is true.

The problem with Vuc is that his defense sucks, and we probably shouldn't be maxing out a center who can't hold down the middle when KP and Luka aren't exactly top-notch defenders... And the problem with Kemba is that we already have solid guards on the roster, but desperately need a wing and a center, so maxing out a guard probably isn't the best use of our cap space.

Both players are excellent, and I'm sure Carlisle could find a way to make them work, but what they do best isn't necessarily what we need most... Personally, I'd be ecstatic to get either one, but I can see some wisdom in passing on both of them in favor of signing 2-3 lower tier guys to cover all of our various needs.
Old 04-02-2019, 05:58 PM   #622
Melonhead
Diamond Member

Melonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant future

Feel like we'll end up taking what we can get. There's a cloud now with the KP situation. Regardless, I dont think we were ever getting Kemba or Dragic. Vuc is an option but hes not my option.

Currently slowest team in the league. We need athleticism and guys who can help take pressure off Luka from having to run the entire show and keep his usage rate down somewhat.

Of course it wont matter if theres not enough rebounding, but I dont want to max Vuc to get some more rebounding.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:21 PM   #623
hayth.james.g

hayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Feel like we'll end up taking what we can get. There's a cloud now with the KP situation. Regardless, I dont think we were ever getting Kemba or Dragic. Vuc is an option but hes not my option.

Currently slowest team in the league. We need athleticism and guys who can help take pressure off Luka from having to run the entire show and keep his usage rate down somewhat.

Of course it wont matter if theres not enough rebounding, but I dont want to max Vuc to get some more rebounding.
If free agency happened tomorrow, sure. We have 3 months to work through the KP story.
hayth.james.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 09:57 PM   #624
sefant77
Guru

After reading the Woj article i dont see a big cloud anymore.

Woj lives from his reputation and he would never touch such a topic with pure speculations. So all the stuff that ESPN has a copy of the handwritten "agreement" with KPs name spelled wrong etc i consider true. And the text messages that the woman wanted AFTER IT still a romantic relationship. Looks like they are no text messages about the 68k payment at all, so yeah probably that stupid paper is forged.

So im pretty confident that this stuff is solved pretty fast
Old 04-03-2019, 05:28 AM   #625
endtroducing MASKED

endtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to allendtroducing MASKED is a name known to all

Quote:
I didn't see anyone who did... What happened was that saclare said Vucevic was young, and MASKED said 29 isn't young. Nobody said his age was a problem, just that he isn't "young" -- which is true.

The problem with Vuc is that his defense sucks, and we probably shouldn't be maxing out a center who can't hold down the middle when KP and Luka aren't exactly top-notch defenders... And the problem with Kemba is that we already have solid guards on the roster, but desperately need a wing and a center, so maxing out a guard probably isn't the best use of our cap space.

Both players are excellent, and I'm sure Carlisle could find a way to make them work, but what they do best isn't necessarily what we need most... Personally, I'd be ecstatic to get either one, but I can see some wisdom in passing on both of them in favor of signing 2-3 lower tier guys to cover all of our various needs.
Yeah, what I mostly meant by saying Vuc isn’t young is that he is old enough to not be of the same generation as our other star players. I don’t find the idea of having a 30 year old guy making $20 mil while our other guys are in their early 20s appealing. By the time Luka and/or KP are truly peaking in a couple of seasons, Vuc is already into his 30s and continuing to age (and probably no longer worth his deal)

I think it’s wiser to invest shorter term at the 4/5 spots and on younger players that are on a similar timeline to our other younger talent

Last edited by endtroducing MASKED; 04-03-2019 at 05:33 AM.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:56 AM   #626
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Yeah, what I mostly meant by saying Vuc isn’t young is that he is old enough to not be of the same generation as our other star players. I don’t find the idea of having a 30 year old guy making $20 mil while our other guys are in their early 20s appealing. By the time Luka and/or KP are truly peaking in a couple of seasons, Vuc is already into his 30s and continuing to age (and probably no longer worth his deal)

I think it’s wiser to invest shorter term at the 4/5 spots and on younger players that are on a similar timeline to our other younger talent
Whats the point of signing young guys on 'similar timelines' as Luka and KP to short term deals? If you want to keep everyone on the team at similar ages and contract lengths then you aren't ever going to contend. If you want to go that route then just roll out Kostas at the 5, Jackson at the 3, Brunson at guard... Boom, bing, pow, we never overspend on an aging player and have everyone on nice and neat timelines.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY

Last edited by SMC0007; 04-03-2019 at 09:57 AM.
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 10:12 AM   #627
sefant77
Guru

I think its pointless to discuss what type of player we should sign on paper...

The 2019 (and 2020) FA list is out there, so lets discuss names and not just "younger players"
Old 04-03-2019, 12:51 PM   #628
endtroducing MASKED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Whats the point of signing young guys on 'similar timelines' as Luka and KP to short term deals? If you want to keep everyone on the team at similar ages and contract lengths then you aren't ever going to contend. If you want to go that route then just roll out Kostas at the 5, Jackson at the 3, Brunson at guard... Boom, bing, pow, we never overspend on an aging player and have everyone on nice and neat timelines.
The point is not spending heavily on years and money into a declining asset
Old 04-04-2019, 03:05 AM   #629
FreshJive
Diamond Member

Quote:
Yeah, what I mostly meant by saying Vuc isnít young is that he is old enough to not be of the same generation as our other star players. I donít find the idea of having a 30 year old guy making $20 mil while our other guys are in their early 20s appealing. By the time Luka and/or KP are truly peaking in a couple of seasons, Vuc is already into his 30s and continuing to age (and probably no longer worth his deal)

I think itís wiser to invest shorter term at the 4/5 spots and on younger players that are on a similar timeline to our other younger talent
While your young guys (Luka, Jalen) are on rookie contracts is when you want to spend on veterans. When Vuc becomes old his contract will be finished, and he will be cheaper or you donít resign him. You canít really plan more than 4 years out. Also, the notion that Vuc canít defend is lol. He is solid vs any center in the league.
Old 04-04-2019, 04:39 AM   #630
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
I think it is a matter of timing though. We are still in a rebuilding phase with extremely young key core pieces so it would be best to secure that long-term #3 guy while we have this golden opportunity.
Build the foundation first with a big 3 (Duncan/Parker/Ginobli, Nash/Finley/Dirk, Curry/Thompson/Green, etc....). Then go after the older vets who fill needs.
We have our Dirk/Nash and some pretty nice role caliber building blocks but now we just need a Fin to complete the foundation.

I think Vuc would be a pretty nice fit chemistry wise but doesn't fit our timeline. We should be thinking long-term about building to compete with teams like the Suns and Kings rather than short-term with Warriors and Rockets imo.

Last edited by rimrocker; 04-04-2019 at 04:45 AM.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:58 AM   #631
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Giannis is the name you guys were looking for. He's going to be an FA, and who knows, might be willing to come here and play with the other two best European players in the world.
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 09:29 AM   #632
saclare
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
I think it is a matter of timing though. We are still in a rebuilding phase with extremely young key core pieces so it would be best to secure that long-term #3 guy while we have this golden opportunity.
Build the foundation first with a big 3 (Duncan/Parker/Ginobli, Nash/Finley/Dirk, Curry/Thompson/Green, etc....). Then go after the older vets who fill needs.
We have our Dirk/Nash and some pretty nice role caliber building blocks but now we just need a Fin to complete the foundation.

I think Vuc would be a pretty nice fit chemistry wise but doesn't fit our timeline. We should be thinking long-term about building to compete with teams like the Suns and Kings rather than short-term with Warriors and Rockets imo.
So who fits this imaginary timeline? And why can't the Mavs "time" be now, when you have a young stud who has shown he is past his age and an all-star proven player in KP? I can already see the replies on the question marks surrounding KP's health, but I'd side with the Mavs medical staff and FO should they decide to go big this summer.
Old 04-04-2019, 09:55 AM   #633
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Good luck finding more Luka and KP's out there. I'm sure teams are lined up to hand over their young talent.

Old 04-04-2019, 10:23 AM   #634
Melonhead
Diamond Member

Im of the minority camp that hopes Powell opts in. But I could see him testing the fields for his last big payday.
Old 04-04-2019, 10:35 AM   #635
SMC0007
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Im of the minority camp that hopes Powell opts in. But I could see him testing the fields for his last big payday.
I hope he opts out only to re-sign a team friendly deal and returns the favor to the Mavs. He has been playing really well.

Old 04-04-2019, 11:35 AM   #636
Melonhead
Diamond Member

Quote:
I hope he opts out only to re-sign a team friendly deal and returns the favor to the Mavs. He has been playing really well.
Whats a team friendly deal though? 10m is a great deal for the guy leading the league in FG%
Old 04-04-2019, 12:44 PM   #637
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saclare View Post
So who fits this imaginary timeline? And why can't the Mavs "time" be now, when you have a young stud who has shown he is past his age and an all-star proven player in KP? I can already see the replies on the question marks surrounding KP's health, but I'd side with the Mavs medical staff and FO should they decide to go big this summer.
Luka is probably 3 or 4 years from being in his prime so it would make sense to me to get that 2nd sidekick for him as soon as possible. Someone much closer to his age.

Vuc or Walker would make us better but I'd much rather build a championship caliber team in 3 or 4 years than limit ourselves to only a PO contender.
Three or 4 years from now Vuc will be past his prime.

I won't be overly disappointed if Vuc or Walker signs with us but my expectations of contending for a championship the next 2 seasons will be virtually non-existent.

Last edited by rimrocker; 04-04-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Old 04-04-2019, 12:47 PM   #638
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Good luck finding more Luka and KP's out there. I'm sure teams are lined up to hand over their young talent.
We don't need a superstar to go with those two, just someone who will grow with them.
Hell, Brunson might just be that guy.
Old 04-04-2019, 01:12 PM   #639
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
Luka is probably 3 or 4 years from being in his prime so it would make sense to me to get that 2nd sidekick for him as soon as possible. Someone much closer to his age.
You realize the Mavs traded for KP to be exactly that sidekick?

Quote:
Vuc or Walker would make us better but I'd much rather build a championship caliber team in 3 or 4 years than limit ourselves to only a PO contender.
Three or 4 years from now Vuc will be past his prime.
Four years from now Walker/Vuc would be again UFA and the Mavs could move on to someone else. Three years from now Vuc/Kemba would be expiring contracts, probably easy to dump if you need (or just reduce the payroll with trading for a garbage player earning a few millions).

Quote:
I won't be overly disappointed if Vuc or Walker signs with us but my expectations of contending for a championship the next 2 seasons will be virtually non-existent.
We are past the rebuild. We are allready too good with Luka, KP, Rick and solid rotationplayer to rebuild through sucking. We also dont own three of our next five picks. Doesnt matter the age of Luka, we are allready back in win now. our timeline is "win now", its not "trying just to get player the same age of Luka/KP". Sure, we dont have to be desperate like a few years ago hammering a max contract to a young roleplayer like Barnes, but yes we should use our cap space to improve the quality of the roster.

We are in win now. With FA signing you sign them anyway to four year windows due to contract length. If the FA is win now good over this four years (or at least three of four) then its a good trade. Even if you sign now a 24 or 27 year old star, you just do it for the next four years because you cant be sure he would stay longer.

Last edited by sefant77; 04-04-2019 at 03:34 PM.
Old 04-04-2019, 06:29 PM   #640
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
You realize the Mavs traded for KP to be exactly that sidekick?

Four years from now Walker/Vuc would be again UFA and the Mavs could move on to someone else. Three years from now Vuc/Kemba would be expiring contracts, probably easy to dump if you need (or just reduce the payroll with trading for a garbage player earning a few millions).

We are past the rebuild. We are allready too good with Luka, KP, Rick and solid rotationplayer to rebuild through sucking. We also dont own three of our next five picks. Doesnt matter the age of Luka, we are allready back in win now. our timeline is "win now", its not "trying just to get player the same age of Luka/KP". Sure, we dont have to be desperate like a few years ago hammering a max contract to a young roleplayer like Barnes, but yes we should use our cap space to improve the quality of the roster.

We are in win now. With FA signing you sign them anyway to four year windows due to contract length. If the FA is win now good over this four years (or at least three of four) then its a good trade. Even if you sign now a 24 or 27 year old star, you just do it for the next four years because you cant be sure he would stay longer.
KP is one sidekick but who is the other?

I donít see us in win now just yet.
If we get lucky and sign KL, KD, KT or JB then yeah, I totally agree with you but we arenít there yet even with Vuc or Walker. We might make POs next year but we wonít be anywhere near Warriors level if they have every back.