Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-11-2021, 01:17 AM   #1
Dallas41
Golden Member

Dallas41 is a splendid one to beholdDallas41 is a splendid one to beholdDallas41 is a splendid one to beholdDallas41 is a splendid one to beholdDallas41 is a splendid one to beholdDallas41 is a splendid one to beholdDallas41 is a splendid one to beholdDallas41 is a splendid one to beholdDallas41 is a splendid one to beholdDallas41 is a splendid one to beholdDallas41 is a splendid one to behold
Default Mavs defense can it be fixed at all this year?

The defense remains an issue. The Mavericks have won three straight on the back of grabbing the upper hand in shootouts. They have allowed 116 or more points in five straight and ten of their last 12 games. Only two teams in the NBA average over 116 points per game on the season, meaning the Mavs are turning every opponent into the best offense in the league.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2021, 11:00 AM   #2
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

"won three straight"

That's all I care about

The D will improve as we get a chance to get all our players in shape and on the same page
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 11:27 AM   #3
SMC0007
Guru

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

I think "Fixed" is relative. We don't have the personnel to be a top 10 defense, and I don't think we have defensive minded coaching either.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 11:53 AM   #4
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
I think "Fixed" is relative. We don't have the personnel to be a top 10 defense, and I don't think we have defensive minded coaching either.
I'm with you with the first part. We really don't have the personnel.

I'm not with you on the second. Rick is defense first. It's half the reason our offense is so bad. Guys are always getting pulled for one bad defensive play.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 12:42 PM   #5
Quantum

Quantum is a jewel in the roughQuantum is a jewel in the roughQuantum is a jewel in the rough

I am going waaaaay out on a limb here...I think the team plays better with WCS. Unless KP bumps it up a notch on defense.

I dont know basketball very well...but the defense and team...seem so much more fluid when WCS plays. Luka, JRich, DFS, Maxi, WCS I think is the lineup. Its the lineup that was in at the end of the Denver game(before Covid) and it was a close game and the Mavs were trying hard for the win. The defense rotated so smoothly and we looked like a playoff caliber team.

I think KP will get minutes because of his contract...but, unless he bumps his game up...I think the Mavs have seen what KP is and what his flaws do to a team. I dont think KP is bad...its just everything combined...missing games, slow feet, chucker, have to have right guys around him, questionable hands in traffic, gets ball ripped a lot when he puts it on the floor...yadda yadda yadda.

Not saying KP is bad(I like him and his unique skill set) and not saying WCS is the answer.
Quantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 03:37 PM   #6
Dallas41
Golden Member

Dallas41 is a splendid one to beholdDallas41 is a splendid one to beholdDallas41 is a splendid one to beholdDallas41 is a splendid one to beholdDallas41 is a splendid one to beholdDallas41 is a splendid one to beholdDallas41 is a splendid one to beholdDallas41 is a splendid one to beholdDallas41 is a splendid one to beholdDallas41 is a splendid one to beholdDallas41 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum View Post
I am going waaaaay out on a limb here...I think the team plays better with WCS. Unless KP bumps it up a notch on defense.

I dont know basketball very well...but the defense and team...seem so much more fluid when WCS plays. Luka, JRich, DFS, Maxi, WCS I think is the lineup. Its the lineup that was in at the end of the Denver game(before Covid) and it was a close game and the Mavs were trying hard for the win. The defense rotated so smoothly and we looked like a playoff caliber team.

I think KP will get minutes because of his contract...but, unless he bumps his game up...I think the Mavs have seen what KP is and what his flaws do to a team. I dont think KP is bad...its just everything combined...missing games, slow feet, chucker, have to have right guys around him, questionable hands in traffic, gets ball ripped a lot when he puts it on the floor...yadda yadda yadda.

Not saying KP is bad(I like him and his unique skill set) and not saying WCS is the answer.
That's the problem the Mavs face.

WCS is the best defensive big on this team and all the advance stats that I've seen have show that to be true throughout this season.

However, he plays the same position that Mavs need KP in for offense so that complicates matters.

I'm honestly not sure why the Tyson and Dirk tandem worked so well on both ends of the floor but the Mavs have struggled to figure it out with Willie and KP.

Now I'm not saying those two guys are on the same level as Tyson/Dirk but you can see in terms of style of play they are very similar tandems.

Willie for some reason when you surround him with other guys who will the scoring looks like a fantastic fit. Not so much when he's out there with 2-3 other guys who can't score.

Collins and Cappella is another good example for comparison's....

I just think it comes down to the Mavs feeling more comfortable with KP playing the 5.

Last edited by Dallas41; 02-11-2021 at 03:38 PM.
Old 02-11-2021, 04:43 PM   #7
Thespiralgoeson
Diamond Member

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
I'm honestly not sure why the Tyson and Dirk tandem worked so well on both ends of the floor but the Mavs have struggled to figure it out with Willie and KP.

Now I'm not saying those two guys are on the same level as Tyson/Dirk but you can see in terms of style of play they are very similar tandems.
That's quite an understatement. Comparing KP to Dirk is like comparing Oasis to the Beatles.

But also keep in mind the landscape of the NBA has shifted pretty radically since 2011. That was pre-3 point revolution. If Dirk came into the league today, probably 9 out 10 coaches would start him at center rather than power forward.

If KP can actually be effective at 4, then I'm all for it. He just seems to play far better at 5. However, at this point, I'm about done with KP anyway and I'm ready for the Mavs to trade him for spare parts.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 06:18 PM   #8
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thespiralgoeson View Post
That's quite an understatement. Comparing KP to Dirk is like comparing Oasis to the Beatles.

But also keep in mind the landscape of the NBA has shifted pretty radically since 2011. That was pre-3 point revolution. If Dirk came into the league today, probably 9 out 10 coaches would start him at center rather than power forward.

If KP can actually be effective at 4, then I'm all for it. He just seems to play far better at 5. However, at this point, I'm about done with KP anyway and I'm ready for the Mavs to trade him for spare parts.
I think you nailed it.

You can't be slow in the league anymore, because you can be threatened with a three from all five positions. No longer can you just put Dampier down low and he moves 4-5 feet on the entire possession around the paint.

Dirk got to be decent because he was one of the best at rebounding fundamentally (blocking out) and he only had to cover the 15 feet around the basket for most of his possessions. Even then he'd get beat, but he was the m aster of the knock away.

KP is considerably slower than Dirk and the NBA has sped up and made it nearly impossible for a guy like that to be successful. Can't really camp the paint like bigs used to do unless you can impose your will by 1) being dominant rebounding and 2) blocking shots. KP can block a shot occasionally, but his rebounding ability has yet to manifest.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 07:57 PM   #9
Quantum

Quantum is a jewel in the roughQuantum is a jewel in the roughQuantum is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
I think you nailed it.

You can't be slow in the league anymore, because you can be threatened with a three from all five positions. No longer can you just put Dampier down low and he moves 4-5 feet on the entire possession around the paint.

Dirk got to be decent because he was one of the best at rebounding fundamentally (blocking out) and he only had to cover the 15 feet around the basket for most of his possessions. Even then he'd get beat, but he was the m aster of the knock away.

KP is considerably slower than Dirk and the NBA has sped up and made it nearly impossible for a guy like that to be successful. Can't really camp the paint like bigs used to do unless you can impose your will by 1) being dominant rebounding and 2) blocking shots. KP can block a shot occasionally, but his rebounding ability has yet to manifest.
This is a big deal to me. Im sure clubs are not stupid to it...and Im sure the ideal bigs dont grow on trees...but being slow footed is a no no in a game like basketball. You have to be able to quickly move 3 to 5 feet away and jump and compete for a board. Or quickly move 3-6 feet away from where youre at to help on defense.

I get that you find an occasional big that is slow that can dominate...Shaq, Jokic...but they are so rare. I dont see why clubs invest in these slow bigs. Cool...Marc Gasol supposedly has high iq defense...im sure you guys can name a few more....but I think investing in slow bigs is a huge no no. I would never give a Max to one unless its a Shaq(just physically dominate) or a Jokic(High IQ).

I am starting to think that if the Mavs can get some true basketball players around Luka...he can do a lot of the heavy lifting. Get light on their feet guys that can make a few shots...go after rebounds at 100%...and that can dribble and this team would be a lot better. Just get some hustle guys that dont have weird flaws such as: cant dribble good(DFS...at least he doesnt show it off if he can dribble, Maxi, THJ), bad at passing(Maxi, THJ), bad hands in traffic(Maxi, WCS, KP).

I watch a lot of basketball and it seems like every team has players 1-4 that can put the ball on the floor...we have Luka and Brunson.

Get some basketball players around Luka and things will take off.

Last edited by Quantum; 02-11-2021 at 07:58 PM.
Quantum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 04:54 AM   #10
Dallas41
Golden Member

Before the season, Carlisle envisioned his roster both excelling on defense and protecting Doncic from the swarming opponents that try to rough him up. Instead, the Mavericks have ranked 26th in defensive rating (114.1), which measures the number of points allowed per 100 possessions. They also rank 20th in second-chance points allowed (13.4) and 26th in fast-break points allowed (14.1). Hence, consider Carlisle’s answer on what he sees in the team’s defensive potential. “That’s a good question. I don’t know for sure,” Carlisle said. “I just know we can be better. We can get better.” 5 mins ago – via Mark Medina @ USA Today Sports