Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-09-2021, 05:46 PM   #1
Dallas41
Golden Member

Dallas41 is a splendid one to beholdDallas41 is a splendid one to beholdDallas41 is a splendid one to beholdDallas41 is a splendid one to beholdDallas41 is a splendid one to beholdDallas41 is a splendid one to beholdDallas41 is a splendid one to beholdDallas41 is a splendid one to beholdDallas41 is a splendid one to beholdDallas41 is a splendid one to beholdDallas41 is a splendid one to behold
Default SI.com thanks THJ has trade value for 1st round pick

https://www.si.com/nba/2021/02/09/nb...-to-see-happen

Michael Pina
Celtics send their unprotected first-round pick in 2021 to the Mavericks for Tim Hardaway Jr.

Boston absorbs Hardaway Jr.’s expiring $18.9 million contract into the $28.5 million trade exception they created in last offseason’s sign-and-trade with Gordon Hayward.

Hardaway Jr. was the third-leading scorer on the best offense in NBA history last season. But with Dallas currently 9–14 and far from guaranteed to even make the playoffs, it makes sense for them to grab a draft pick (the trade chip they need) and prepare for a significant summer—their last to spend big money on free agents before Luka Dončić gets his max extension.

Despite making 39.1% of 8.0 three-point attempts per game this season, Hardaway Jr. was moved to the bench last week. The Celtics could use that outside shooting to space the floor for Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown and Kemba Walker. It's an ideal role for THJ, a skilled offensive weapon who should embrace the chance to up his value in Boston before he hits the open market.
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2021, 06:28 PM   #2
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

I’d say he does have that value. I don’t think I could pull the trigger on that. We are already bereft of shooters. I’m including coming seasons going forward in that equation.

Maybe they think one more first and dropping the Knicks protections gets them in Beal/Lavine mix?
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:43 PM   #3
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

What good is a #21 pick if we don't play our #18?
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:18 PM   #4
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
What good is a #21 pick if we don't play our #18?
I think the pick would be a trade chip.
I’d think THJ could net us more in a package deal before the TDL for a useful player than what we could get for the 21st pick on draft night.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 12:47 PM   #5
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

I think I'd rather have Hardaway than that pick. I'd prefer much higher pick.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 02:37 PM   #6
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtownsfinest View Post
I think I'd rather have Hardaway than that pick. I'd prefer much higher pick.
I think the thinking is, and the only way they would do it, is if they had a deal lined up where having an extra 1st to throw in the pot could swing the balance. For someone like Lavine.

Similar to what happened with the Jru Holiday or Harden trade.

Last edited by mac222b; 02-10-2021 at 02:38 PM.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 03:16 PM   #7
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
I think the thinking is, and the only way they would do it, is if they had a deal lined up where having an extra 1st to throw in the pot could swing the balance. For someone like Lavine.

Similar to what happened with the Jru Holiday or Harden trade.
That’s the only reason I’d make the trade. Otherwise I think I’d rather have THJ than a late pick.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:02 PM   #8
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

We are re-signing THJ to a solid contract with a slight discount (because he likes it here and no state income tax blabla) and with that we are having a solid trade chip IF there is maybe some day a better player available via trade.

And we can pack THJ, re.signed Josh, Green/Terry etc
sefant77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 01:26 AM   #9
Dallas41
Golden Member

Dallas41 is a splendid one to beholdDallas41 is a splendid one to beholdDallas41 is a splendid one to beholdDallas41 is a splendid one to beholdDallas41 is a splendid one to beholdDallas41 is a splendid one to beholdDallas41 is a splendid one to beholdDallas41 is a splendid one to beholdDallas41 is a splendid one to beholdDallas41 is a splendid one to beholdDallas41 is a splendid one to behold

Talk about Jason Terry 2.0

This was so true for so many years with Terry being Dirk's sidekick

THJ averages 20.7 points on 49.1 percent shooting in Mavericks’ wins this season. Those numbers drop to 14.3 on 38.9 percent in losses. Dallas needs his scoring punch. Tim Hardaway Jr. can average 18 points per game. He needs to do just that if the Dallas Mavericks plan on making a serious run at contention this season.
Old 02-11-2021, 02:54 AM   #10
Melonhead
Diamond Member

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Im wondering how his coming off the bench role plays out this season.

Frankly, Mavs dont beat the Hawks if he didnt come out scorching and get 13 quick points in the 4th quarter. And he did cover Danilo well to seal the win so idk.

I wouldnt trade him for Boston's pick though.. Mavs are already in need of offense.
Old 02-11-2021, 03:43 PM   #11
Dallas41
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Im wondering how his coming off the bench role plays out this season.

Frankly, Mavs dont beat the Hawks if he didnt come out scorching and get 13 quick points in the 4th quarter. And he did cover Danilo well to seal the win so idk.

I wouldnt trade him for Boston's pick though.. Mavs are already in need of offense.
Depends,

If they were to get that pick knowing they could flip it on someone like Lavine hell yeah I'd do it.

He's basically everything we keep hearing this team needs right?

Secondary Ball handler, elite shooter and he has shown the ability to be the #1 offensive player in Chicago. He's the perfect sidekick for Luka in terms of needing that 2nd guy who can get you big buckets when KP isn't playing up to par.
Old 02-17-2021, 03:13 PM   #12
Dallas41
Golden Member

Another good article on THJ

Tim Hardaway Jr.'s play has been a gauge of Mavericks' success this season, which isn't ideal for Dallas
https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/t...al-for-dallas/

Despite being moved to a sixth-man role, Hardaway is still getting starter minutes, and Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle has said before that Dallas really has six starters with Hardaway. That's true, as the former Knick has started for the entirety of his career, mainly on bad teams.

However, the highs of Hardaway's shooting also come with some lows. While he can get hot in a hurry, putting up an efficient 24 points in a win, he also has the tendency to go freezing cold and put up poor shooting performances. This is all reflected in Dallas' record this season.

Last edited by Dallas41; 02-17-2021 at 03:13 PM.