Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 04-30-2019, 04:35 PM   #921
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Personally, I donít think there is a worse fit than Cousins. Limited defense and mobility is the last thing we need from our 5.
bad personality. bad fit. bad health.

Only if he's less than 5 mill and we can make him a backup we dont need to depend on.
Old 04-30-2019, 05:12 PM   #922
Me.B

Me.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to allMe.B is a name known to all

It appears the Mavs plan to go after Kemba ANDMiddleton this summer. Very interesting!

https://twitter.com/bleacherreport/s...416841216?s=21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Me.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 05:21 PM   #923
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me.B View Post
It appears the Mavs plan to go after Kemba ANDMiddleton this summer. Very interesting!

It's great in NBA 2K19

Dont think they have the money for it, but maybe?

Not going to get my hopes up
Old 04-30-2019, 06:04 PM   #924
thewizard

thewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me.B View Post

Not even remotely possible to get both under the cap. It's safe to assume they're just targeting "both" in hopes of getting one of them. I like the plan though, fits with the idea that we should prioritize playmakers and wings with most of our money.

Kemba and Middleton are both Schwartz clients, whom we have a great relationship with. Powell is too. Maybe the Powell extension was another way to build goodwill with Schwartz as well, in hopes that it might eventually pay off if it helps us land one of our bigger targets.
thewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 06:35 PM   #925
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Just possible if Dwight opts out, we dump Lees contract with a future 1st attached and we dont keep the draft pick.

But yeah probably messed up rumours and that they intend to get ONE of them via the Jeff Schwartz angle. Ahain, Middleton told over and over that he wanna stay in Milwaukee. And i see zero reasons why the Bucks wouldnt pay him. Pissing off Giannis is the last thing they wanna do.

Could be also a winkie winkie deal between Mavs and Schwartz. Mavs pushing the rumours that they are ready to throw big bucks at Middleton. Schwartz uses that to get the Bucks to pay Middleton the max/near max five mins into free agency and in reverse he steers Kemba to the Mavs. Both of his players walking away happy and with a shitload of money.

Last edited by sefant77; 04-30-2019 at 06:44 PM.
sefant77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:59 PM   #926
NeedlesKane
Golden Member

NeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud of

Get me Kemba so I don't have to change my signature.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:23 AM   #927
blessednegr0

blessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of lightblessednegr0 is a glorious beacon of light

Cousins defense looked below average on the warriors because of their style of play and tempo. Cousins isn't a BAD defender. This isn't a team that's going to run and gun. Since the Cousins injury, they are running Draymond at center. We need a LEGITIMATE center and I think with his price tag, he is the best fit among the centers out there. Do we pay Vucevic the max? What other center do you guys desire? Cousins would be a hug upgrade and allow KP to play the 4 spot as he desires. I guess it kind of comes down to, Cousins, Patrick Beverly, Danny Green VS. 1 of each guy of: Kris Middleton, Vucevic, Kemba Walker, Jimmy Butler? I would rather have a chance at the three other than either one of these guys. That's just my 2 cents though
blessednegr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 04:51 AM   #928
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessednegr0 View Post
Cousins defense looked below average on the warriors because of their style of play and tempo. Cousins isn't a BAD defender. This isn't a team that's going to run and gun. Since the Cousins injury, they are running Draymond at center. We need a LEGITIMATE center and I think with his price tag, he is the best fit among the centers out there. Do we pay Vucevic the max? What other center do you guys desire? Cousins would be a hug upgrade and allow KP to play the 4 spot as he desires. I guess it kind of comes down to, Cousins, Patrick Beverly, Danny Green VS. 1 of each guy of: Kris Middleton, Vucevic, Kemba Walker, Jimmy Butler? I would rather have a chance at the three other than either one of these guys. That's just my 2 cents though
My preference would be Middleton and Davis if we can afford them both and we don't get a top 4 pick.

We definitely need someone to do the dirty work of rebounding and defense in the paint and the last thing we need to do is turn KP into a frontcourt workhorse. Davis would be the perfect workhorse imo and could somewhat protect a key asset. I'm not sure what kind of contract he would demand though.

Middleton would be the ultimate 3rd weapon that we need and would spread the floor. Brunson or DFS could be the 5th starter depending on matchups.

Luka/Brunson/Barea
Middleton/THJ/Lee
DFS/Jackson/Broek
KP/Maxi/Kostas
Davis/Powell/Mejri

Last edited by rimrocker; 05-01-2019 at 04:53 AM.
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:42 AM   #929
hayth.james.g
Golden Member

hayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
My preference would be Middleton and Davis if we can afford them both and we don't get a top 4 pick.

We definitely need someone to do the dirty work of rebounding and defense in the paint and the last thing we need to do is turn KP into a frontcourt workhorse. Davis would be the perfect workhorse imo and could somewhat protect a key asset. I'm not sure what kind of contract he would demand though.

Middleton would be the ultimate 3rd weapon that we need and would spread the floor. Brunson or DFS could be the 5th starter depending on matchups.

Luka/Brunson/Barea
Middleton/THJ/Lee
DFS/Jackson/Broek
KP/Maxi/Kostas
Davis/Powell/Mejri
Aside from a scenario where we land Klay, Leonard, or Durant, I donít see a better scenario than this. I would add that Brogdon would be great as well if the Bucks go all in on Middleton. Solid defense with incredible efficiency next to Luka and KP is a great 3rd.
hayth.james.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 09:47 AM   #930
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Luka/Brunson/Barea
Middleton/THJ/Lee
DFS/Jackson/Broek
KP/Maxi/Kostas
Davis/Powell/Mejri

Davis @ 4.4mm now, 8-10m wouldn't be surprising.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:05 AM   #931
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Davis @ 4.4mm now, 8-10m wouldn't be surprising.
I like Faried if Davis is too expensive.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:10 AM   #932
saclare
Golden Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

Simply not going to get Middleton. He's a Buck for life in his own words and from the Giannis and the team. The odd guy out there increasingly looks like Brogdon. They don't need him as much as the other 3 and have a replacement player ready to go in Brown.

I think the Mavs will look hard at Walker, Brogdon, Dedmon, Davis, Beverley, and Green.

Guys like Durant, Kawhi, Klay, Butler, and Cousins just aren't going to happen, unless they have a wink wink like someone mentioned earlier. Just don't waste time with those due to low probability of coming here plus personality fits with two of them.
saclare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 10:11 AM   #933
tap2390
Golden Member

tap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by blessednegr0 View Post

We arguably need to run and gun because that's what suits Luka's game the best. Since the start of this season we've lost most of our old school half-court grind guys -- HB, Wes, and Dirk. With Kristaps playing the four we absolutely need to get faster. Our ideal five will focus on rebounding and be serviceable switching on the perimeter. IMO our number one target should be DeWayne Dedmon who comes with the added bonus of knocking down threes.
Old 05-01-2019, 12:52 PM   #934
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
We arguably need to run and gun because that's what suits Luka's game the best. Since the start of this season we've lost most of our old school half-court grind guys -- HB, Wes, and Dirk. With Kristaps playing the four we absolutely need to get faster. Our ideal five will focus on rebounding and be serviceable switching on the perimeter. IMO our number one target should be DeWayne Dedmon who comes with the added bonus of knocking down threes.
That's why we either get Vuc (who isn't bad in either the fullcourt or halfcourt with his passing and decision making despite not being a stellar athlete) or we go for one of those small, quick PF/Cs like Ed Davis who can rebound hard and run the court for cherries.

6'8" to 6'10" tweeners who can rebound, defend, and run are relatively cheap

As are guards who just defend and hit threes like Beverly

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 05-01-2019 at 12:53 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 01:50 PM   #935
Melonhead
Diamond Member

Melonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant future

My favorite even if restricted was Brogdon. I assume the Mavs arent looking at him since they have the asinine idea to be interested in Middleton. Brogdon was a long shot anyway.

So Kemba or bust.

With Ed Davis or Dedman. I think Beverly is a long shot too after the Clippers series. We'll see July 1st.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:42 PM   #936
pocman

pocman has a spectacular aura aboutpocman has a spectacular aura aboutpocman has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
My favorite even if restricted was Brogdon. I assume the Mavs arent looking at him since they have the asinine idea to be interested in Middleton. Brogdon was a long shot anyway.

So Kemba or bust.

With Ed Davis or Dedman. I think Beverly is a long shot too after the Clippers series. We'll see July 1st.
Honestly it seems difficult for the Bucks to keep both Middleton, and Brogdon, particularly as I think they will want to keep Brook Lopez.

I think we should try to offer good money to Brogon ($20m?) from day 1 of free agency. They will then have 48h to figure out how much they can give Middleton, Brook Lopez, how they can trade away George Hill and/or Snell and/or Ilyasova... That should do it.

Then we give 10m to Dedmon or Ed Davis and we try to find a wing with the MLE.
pocman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 02:44 PM   #937
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Kemba is a gamer and doesn't shrink from big moments. If his knees check out would love to have him here. Secondary ball handler, good spotting up from 3, save wear and tear on Luka.

Kemba and Dedmon sounds great, if doable.

Dedmon is a good paint defender. We would need some other defensive minded guys though.

Last edited by mac222b; 05-01-2019 at 02:48 PM.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 02:46 PM   #938
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocman View Post
Honestly it seems difficult for the Bucks to keep both Middleton, and Brogdon, particularly as I think they will want to keep Brook Lopez.

I think we should try to offer good money to Brogon ($20m?) from day 1 of free agency. They will then have 48h to figure out how much they can give Middleton, Brook Lopez, how they can trade away George Hill and/or Snell and/or Ilyasova... That should do it.

Then we give 10m to Dedmon or Ed Davis and we try to find a wing with the MLE.
That is a pretty shrewd group running the Bucks now-- they'll find a way to pay Middleton, Brogdon, Lopez. Already got Bledsoe at below market. Guys are buying in. Giannis is generational if he gets his shot right and seems like a good, fun, loyal dude.

Last edited by mac222b; 05-01-2019 at 02:47 PM.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 03:24 PM   #939
sefant77
Guru

sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac222b View Post
Kemba is a gamer and doesn't shrink from big moments. If his knees check out would love to have him here. Secondary ball handler, good spotting up from 3, save wear and tear on Luka.

Kemba and Dedmon sounds great, if doable.

Kemba is also a high character guy, really good off the ball etc. With the right rotations you have 48min either Luka or Kemba pushing the ball. Subbing one of them early in the 1st and 3rd and you got 2/3 of the game where they are not even together on the court. All the talk about fit is overrated.

16min Luka/Kemba
16min Luka/Brunson
16min Kemba/Brunson

Always at least one of Luka or Kemba on the court, fresh legs with keeping them at 32-34min a game etc. If one of them is injuried you dont need to relay on Brunson as primary playmaker

Last edited by sefant77; 05-01-2019 at 03:41 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 03:39 PM   #940
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

Dedmon would be perfect for this team. Dedmon plus some defensive tough guys and we might be good.

Dedmon
Porzingis
Doncic
Dude who can hit threes
Beverly-type

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 05-01-2019 at 04:28 PM.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:31 AM   #941
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Dedmon would be perfect for this team. Dedmon plus some defensive tough guys and we might be good.

Dedmon
Porzingis
Doncic
Dude who can hit threes
Beverly-type
I like Dedmon too but I don’t see where we’d be more attractive than Atlanta. Yes we have Luka and KP, but they have Young, Collins, most likely two lotto picks, cap space, and are in the easy East.

Seems like a better situation to me unless we or another team throw crazy money at him.

Last edited by rimrocker; 05-02-2019 at 03:13 AM.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:40 AM   #942
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I like Dedmon too but I donít see where weíd be more attractive than Atlanta. Yes we have Luka and KP, but they have Young, Collins, most likely two lotto picks, cap space, and are in the easy East.

Seems like a better situation to me unless we or another team throw crazy money at him.
Interesting. Dallas is closer to being a contender and he would be the starting/high minutes center here. The east isn't so easy anymore and after free agency it may be tougher. It would come down to how attractive MBT can make it for him, if they want to go that route. Surely he will be more expensive than ED Davis though, likely DPowell money. He isn't yet a big name but for everything he can do his stock is rising and it's probably a good thing ATL didn't make the playoffs since he is likely a target for us at some level. We also have potential to get Kemba or another 2nd tier guy which will make us more attrative.

Old 05-02-2019, 10:20 AM   #943
sefant77
Guru

Dedmon turns 30 in august and he has career earnings of 16m (around 8m after taxes and fees). He is going to sign with the team that throws the most $$$ at him. And he should. Probably that is going to be the first and last bigger contract of his career.

Last edited by sefant77; 05-02-2019 at 10:23 AM.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:25 AM   #944
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Dedmon turns 30 in august and he has career earnings of 16m (around 8m after taxes and fees). He is going to sign with the team that throws the most $$$ at him. And he should. Probably that is going to be the first and last bigger contract of his career.
Thats why I think 10-15 a year for 2-3 years with a PO could net him. ATL doesnt want to spend that much for him.

That gives us another 15-20 mill to go after another FA as well.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 05-02-2019 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-02-2019, 10:31 AM   #945
SMC0007
Diamond Member

Quote:
Thats why I think 10-15 a year for 2-3 years with a PO could net him. ATL doesnt want to spend that much for him.

Basically Powell money.

Old 05-02-2019, 10:38 AM   #946
saclare
Golden Member

saclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant futuresaclare has a brilliant future

I like the Dedmon fit. I could also see Atlanta paying him to stick around with their young core which is cheap enough to absorb Dedmon. It would also depend on what they do with their top pick, potentially 2 picks (still holding hope for lotto).

That being said, if Kemba wants to be here and Dedmon prevents that, then move along lol
Old 05-02-2019, 11:18 AM   #947
sefant77
Guru

Quote:

Im not sure the Mavs are willing to pay that much for a roleplayer big. I have the weird feeling they see Powell as starter beside KP.

And i also think they are just throwing this amount at players like Dedmon or Beverley after the big FAs/their targeted player (Kemba?) are gone....
Old 05-02-2019, 12:16 PM   #948
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Im not sure the Mavs are willing to pay that much for a roleplayer big. I have the weird feeling they see Powell as starter beside KP.

And i also think they are just throwing this amount at players like Dedmon or Beverley after the big FAs/their targeted player (Kemba?) are gone....
I don't think it is just a weird feeling, I think that is exactly their plan.
Powell's extension is a clear sign to me they are not targeting a big as their top FA. Kemba is most likely their guy and it wouldn't make sense to sign someone like Vuc or shell out 10-15 mil for Dedmon.

The only way I could see that as remotely possible is if they are done with Maxi and even then I'm not sure they'd want to have that much of our cap taken up by bigs.

We might as well get used to the idea of Powell starting. If we do happen to get lucky and sign Dedmon he won't be the best FA we sign.
Old 05-02-2019, 03:37 PM   #949
JJP

JJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Powell's extension is a clear sign to me they are not targeting a big as their top FA. Kemba is most likely their guy and it wouldn't make sense to sign someone like Vuc or shell out 10-15 mil for Dedmon.

The only way I could see that as remotely possible is if they are done with Maxi and even then I'm not sure they'd want to have that much of our cap taken up by bigs.

We might as well get used to the idea of Powell starting. If we do happen to get lucky and sign Dedmon he won't be the best FA we sign.
I think this is most likely what the Mavs front office intends.

Throw your best money at an available guard/forward, and give Dwight Powell a starting front line role. That gives you a lot of flexibility and increases your chances that you get a high target.

Powell is not ideal in some ways, but he's the equal of many other players that might be more expensive. Powell is active, runs the floor well, knows the system, and can score in the right situations. I'm sure the front office hopes that the Powell they get is the Powell that was so good after January, but that doesn't seem like false hope. Powell worked hard and everybody on the coaching staff saw it... so maybe it's a safe bet.

In that scenario, you still have to get a big man as a backup. There's still some salaries to manage. But this scenario is easier to envision.
JJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 04:48 PM   #950
thewizard

thewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to allthewizard is a name known to all

Quote:

Totally agree. I think Powell will start next to KP next year and we'll go for Kemba as our big signing. Yes, our post defense and rebounding probably won't be very good because of it, but you can't fix all the holes this team has in one offseason. We're practically starting from scratch here. Team building is a multi-year process.

IMO it makes sense to lock up your foundation pieces first, then spend the next couple trade deadlines and offseasons filling in the gaps. IMO we can get defense and rebounding by making trades, or making value signings with exceptions and minimum contracts. No need to throw another 15 million on yet another big.
thewizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 06:01 PM   #951
JJP

JJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of lightJJP is a glorious beacon of light

From Tim Bontemps at ESPN

Regarding Milwaukee's Free Agents

...In theory, the Bucks can keep all of them -- but doing so would almost certainly send Milwaukee soaring into the luxury tax. That is something ownership is willing to do, sources say, depending on how far the team goes this season.

A trip to the NBA Finals would make going into the tax an easy call. Going to the conference finals? That's a tougher one. Losing to the Celtics? Tougher still.

Last edited by JJP; 05-02-2019 at 06:02 PM.
Old 05-03-2019, 08:34 AM   #952
rimrocker
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewizard View Post
Totally agree. I think Powell will start next to KP next year and we'll go for Kemba as our big signing. Yes, our post defense and rebounding probably won't be very good because of it, but you can't fix all the holes this team has in one offseason. We're practically starting from scratch here. Team building is a multi-year process.

IMO it makes sense to lock up your foundation pieces first, then spend the next couple trade deadlines and offseasons filling in the gaps. IMO we can get defense and rebounding by making trades, or making value signings with exceptions and minimum contracts. No need to throw another 15 million on yet another big.
When we traded away 4 of our starters it became apparent to me that at least 1 of Powell/DFS/Brunson would be a starter next season. I'm convinced Powell is at least one of them.
I can see us signing another cheap center but will most likely only be a backup caliber.
At this point I think Walker/Davis would be a very nice off-season but that will be a stretch.
Old 05-03-2019, 11:29 AM   #953
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP View Post
From Tim Bontemps at ESPN

Regarding Milwaukee's Free Agents

...In theory, the Bucks can keep all of them -- but doing so would almost certainly send Milwaukee soaring into the luxury tax. That is something ownership is willing to do, sources say, depending on how far the team goes this season.

A trip to the NBA Finals would make going into the tax an easy call. Going to the conference finals? That's a tougher one. Losing to the Celtics? Tougher still.
No, it doesnt make it tougher.

The Bucks have one big goal and that is to get Giannis signing the five year extension in 2021. Until then they are going to spend, even into luxury tax. After they got his signature they are going to start to worry about repeater tax etc
Old 05-03-2019, 12:31 PM   #954
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
No, it doesnt make it tougher.

The Bucks have one big goal and that is to get Giannis signing the five year extension in 2021. Until then they are going to spend, even into luxury tax. After they got his signature they are going to start to worry about repeater tax etc
It absolutely does make it tougher -- nobody is going pay luxury tax for a team that can't get past the 2nd round... Spend all the money you want, but winning is the only way to keep Giannis, so going all-in on a roster that can't make a championship push is a huge gamble that isn't likely to pay off.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:51 PM   #955
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
It absolutely does make it tougher -- nobody is going pay luxury tax for a team that can't get past the 2nd round... Spend all the money you want, but winning is the only way to keep Giannis, so going all-in on a roster that can't make a championship push is a huge gamble that isn't likely to pay off.
You're right, but it's also a dangerous game to play.

We've succeeded with Parsons (if you call that success), but Bucks can also waste our time and make our free agency unsuccessful if we target their players.
Old 05-03-2019, 12:57 PM   #956
sefant77
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Or they maybe say "damn we really miss Brogdon right now and it shows what a crucial part he was to be the best team in the RS...so we do everything to keep our core together" because thats our best chance for success.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:05 PM   #957
JJP

The playoffs are really important - more so in the east - to free agency.

A very good article on the ESPN site (free) should be read. It describes in detail how specific dominoes could fall depending on playoff results.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...aguewide-chaos
Old 05-03-2019, 03:52 PM   #958
pocman

pocman has a spectacular aura aboutpocman has a spectacular aura aboutpocman has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
When we traded away 4 of our starters it became apparent to me that at least 1 of Powell/DFS/Brunson would be a starter next season. I'm convinced Powell is at least one of them.
I can see us signing another cheap center but will most likely only be a backup caliber.
At this point I think Walker/Davis would be a very nice off-season but that will be a stretch.
In that case I would rather go for a wing. Over the latter part of the season, DFS clearly proves he was the weakest of the 3 you mention.
pocman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:23 AM   #959
Budapest Maverick
Platinum Member

Budapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant futureBudapest Maverick has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeedlesKane View Post
Get me Kemba so I don't have to change my signature.
You should change it anyway, and put Luka in the front. He'll be our best player next year, unless we get Kawhi or KD. :-p
Budapest Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:14 AM   #960
saclare
Golden Member

I like Dwight Powell. There. Ain't afraid of no safe spaces...

Tags
win now