Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: What will the result of the game be?
Mavs win by 20+ 0 0%
Mavs win by 10-19 1 16.67%
Mavs win by 1-9 3 50.00%
Mavs lose by 1-9 1 16.67%
Mavs lose by 10-19 0 0%
Mavs lose by 20+ 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-27-2020, 10:21 PM   #41
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Wow, I somehow missed the entire game... Mavs only shot 9 FTs as a team (with only Luka & KP going to the stripe) and attempted 51 threes? I guess that's how it went by so fast, thought I would at least catch the final minutes.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 01-27-2020 at 10:24 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2020, 10:29 PM   #42
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

I mean, I'm happy for the win, but not having Paul was huge.

Do you think we'll ever see an efficient game by KP?
Old 01-27-2020, 10:29 PM   #43
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Yeah, a lot of 3's. I like the winning, but honestly, I'm not so sure I'm a fan of this new NBA where both teams run down and jack 3's. I understand the pressure though. The math is forcing the game in this direction. I almost think that I'd prefer the 3-pt line to be moved back another 1'-2'.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:38 PM   #44
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Delon with a monster game.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:42 PM   #45
LukaMagic

LukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to all

Just heard what Curry said about our clutch plays. Makes a whole lot of sense. KP must somehow be the answer here. RC should devise options, and start testing them so he gains confidence in clutch moments before the playoffs.

Last edited by LukaMagic; 01-27-2020 at 10:43 PM.
LukaMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 10:49 PM   #46
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukaMagic View Post
Delon Wright looks good too, but occasionally he tries for a little too much, or even needlessly over does things. He needs to brush up his fundamentals. Take a clue from Luka. Use body better.

And just now he was bloked on the 3 pointer. Needlessly. He had a guy committed. Pumpfake Delon - you got space you gotta exploit it, like Kleber does.
Quote:
hm, I'm not quite sure. He is great defensively, but just ok offensively. He is smart and generally doesn't try to do things he is not comfortable doing, which also means that there are not many things he can do offensively. He can shoot an open 3, and drive with his euro-step like moves, but he is generally offensively very hesitant and frankly gets lost quite often.

But he will improve with experience. Remember, he never played major minutes in NBA. In 2 years time he could be a great two-way player.
Which one is it. Is he occasionally doing too much or is he too hesitant? I get being confused a little bit about what he is but it's odd that it comes up on a night where he was the best player in the game. It looked like there was 2 of him on the court on more possessions than I can count.

He may be the best 2 way player we have. I just wish he had complete games like this more consistently.

Old 01-27-2020, 11:12 PM   #47
LukaMagic

LukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Which one is it. Is he occasionally doing too much or is he too hesitant? I get being confused a little bit about what he is but it's odd that it comes up on a night where he was the best player in the game. It looked like there was 2 of him on the court on more possessions than I can count.

He may be the best 2 way player we have. I just wish he had complete games like this more consistently.
I was not precise so let me try and clarify. By "occasionally doing too much" I meant primarily his drives.
For example, in the forth quarter in this game he had one successful drive where he needlessly went for a layup "on the second rim" (not sure what is the proper English expression here - when you lay the ball on the other/further-away side of the rim). He had enough space to use his body, and simplify, but he didn't. He was successful in that play, but it indicates some of his limitations which become more aparent in closer games against better teams/defenders.
Another example from the fourth quarter was when he basically went one-on-one at a defender, and got lost, missdribbled, and managed to basically somehow pass the ball to THJ (I think) as he was falling and being doubled. Again, it indicates not clear thinking/confidence/going-for-too-much offensively. And there was an example last game against Utah as well when he was blocked on a lay-up attempt in clutch time because he lacked the experience and clarity of thought in the moment.
I know this may sound very weird, but the simple answer to your question is that he is occasionally doing too much because he is generally hesitant. In other words, when he doesn't err on the side of caution, and goes for it, or is asked to go for it, he gets in trouble.
Don't get me wrong. I like Delon a lot. I think he is a very smart player. Looove him defensively, and he has shown this year that he can make defensive plays in the clutch. I think that's huge! But offensively he currently has clear limitations. I think he will improve a lot over the next year or two.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:25 PM   #48
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I was not precise so let me try and clarify. By "occasionally doing too much" I meant primarily his drives.
For example, in the forth quarter in this game he had one successful drive where he needlessly went for a layup "on the second rim" (not sure what is the proper English expression here - when you lay the ball on the other/further-away side of the rim). He had enough space to use his body, and simplify, but he didn't. He was successful in that play, but it indicates some of his limitations which become more aparent in closer games against better teams/defenders.
Another example from the fourth quarter was when he basically went one-on-one at a defender, and got lost, missdribbled, and managed to basically somehow pass the ball to THJ (I think) as he was falling and being doubled. Again, it indicates not clear thinking/confidence/going-for-too-much offensively. And there was an example last game against Utah as well when he was blocked on a lay-up attempt in clutch time because he lacked the experience and clarity of thought in the moment.
I know this may sound very weird, but the simple answer to your question is that he is occasionally doing too much because he is generally hesitant. In other words, when he doesn't err on the side of caution, and goes for it, or is asked to go for it, he gets in trouble.
Don't get me wrong. I like Delon a lot. I think he is a very smart player. Looove him defensively, and he has shown this year that he can make defensive plays in the clutch. I think that's huge! But offensively he currently has clear limitations. I think he will improve a lot over the next year or two.
If itís the play Iím thinking of Delon had to go for the reverse layup because the defender was right behind him to try and block the shot. The defender even jumped thinking Delon was going for the standard layup. Going for the reverse gave him the rim to shield the defender from having a chance to block the shot.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:29 PM   #49
Dallas41

Dallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to all

Quote:
Just heard what Curry said about our clutch plays. Makes a whole lot of sense. KP must somehow be the answer here. RC should devise options, and start testing them so he gains confidence in clutch moments before the playoffs.
I didn't hear the conversation

But I agree this team needs to call more set plays in the clutch and some of it should run through KP with Luka being off the ball a few possessions

I really don't see any plays the mavs ran for dirk being utilized for KP and that is one of the main reasons why I gripe about the coaching staff not being more helpful on these close games

Make some adjustments like post up KP at the high elbow like dirk and let him operate or put him baseline like the set play vs Utah where he can operate and use that bank shot closer to the rim.

He did the samething tonight on that play where he banked it in off a mid range post up
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2020, 11:33 PM   #50
LukaMagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
If itís the play Iím thinking of Delon had to go for the reverse layup because the defender was right behind him to try and block the shot. The defender even jumped thinking Delon was going for the standard layup. Going for the reverse gave him the rim to shield the defender from having a chance to block the shot.
My sense was that he had enough space for a more simple play. Don't want to be nit-picky and overly critical of Delon here, I like him a lot - but just my sense.
Old 01-27-2020, 11:36 PM   #51
LukaMagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
I didn't hear the conversation

But I agree this team needs to call more set plays in the clutch and some of it should run through KP with Luka being off the ball a few possessions

I really don't see any plays the mavs ran for dirk being utilized for KP and that is one of the main reasons why I gripe about the coaching staff not being more helpful on these close games

Make some adjustments like post up KP at the high elbow like dirk and let him operate or put him baseline like the set play vs Utah where he can operate and use that bank shot closer to the rim.

He did the samething tonight on that play where he banked it in off a mid range post up
I heard Seth said that Mavs are too predictable in the clutch - i.e. give the ball to Luka, set a screen - with not many other players getting touches.
Old 01-28-2020, 12:43 AM   #52
SMC0007
Diamond Member

Quote:
My sense was that he had enough space for a more simple play. Don't want to be nit-picky and overly critical of Delon here, I like him a lot - but just my sense.
It may have had something to do with how he was blocked from behind by Gobert last game. Looks like he learned from that lesson and made the necessary play.

Old 01-28-2020, 01:07 AM   #53
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Yesterday and today D-M.com discusses finding a new wing player

Today: Delon 14-12-4

Coincidence? I think not
Old 01-28-2020, 01:14 AM   #54
LukaMagic

Quote:
It may have had something to do with how he was blocked from behind by Gobert last game. Looks like he learned from that lesson and made the necessary play.
hihihi maybe. Another way to think about it would be to say that in both instances he could've used his body (and his dribble) a little differently and more efficiently. But those things are very hard to change because the way you drive is kinda engraved in you from early age and only the best can develop things like hesitation, purposefully and selectively inviting contact to screen the ball or get lay up space, continue dribble when defender expects a lay-up (and vice-versa), etc etc. All true playmakers have those moves and Delon should basically be mimicking Luka's moves and how Luka's using his body as much as possible in practice to start developing that aspect of his game.

Last edited by LukaMagic; 01-28-2020 at 01:17 AM.
Old 01-28-2020, 01:55 AM   #55
Dallas41

Dallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to all

Quote:
I heard Seth said that Mavs are too predictable in the clutch - i.e. give the ball to Luka, set a screen - with not many other players getting touches.
Hmmm

I been saying this all year as a fan

I wonder since an actual player stated this if the Carlisle apologists are going to call Seth a Carlisle hater lol

But yes I agree the coaches need to start adjusting and stop leaving it up to the Luka
Old 01-28-2020, 03:06 AM   #56
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hmmm

I wonder since an actual player stated this if the Carlisle apologists are going to call Seth a Carlisle hater lol

But yes I agree the coaches need to start adjusting and stop leaving it up to the Luka
The problem is that your bias against Rick makes it hard to take you seriously on any subject pertaining him.

There is nothing to apologize for. Rick is one of the bright spots this season. No coach is perfect.
Old 01-28-2020, 08:00 AM   #57
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
hihihi maybe. Another way to think about it would be to say that in both instances he could've used his body (and his dribble) a little differently and more efficiently. But those things are very hard to change because the way you drive is kinda engraved in you from early age and only the best can develop things like hesitation, purposefully and selectively inviting contact to screen the ball or get lay up space, continue dribble when defender expects a lay-up (and vice-versa), etc etc. All true playmakers have those moves and Delon should basically be mimicking Luka's moves and how Luka's using his body as much as possible in practice to start developing that aspect of his game.
Luka weighs probably 45 pounds more than Delon though, so itís not as easy for Delon to ďuse his bodyĒ. Watch the play again and youíll see the defender was right on his heels. Going for the reverse was the right play.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 09:28 AM   #58
SMC0007
Diamond Member

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DksWW9lJ_D0

The last play is the one you are talking about. Imo, it's real picky to argue with the reverse layup in this situation. If he used his body and goes with the right side natural layup maybe gets the and1 or gets free throws...or maybe it gets blocked... but man that dude had an incredible game. Lets just tip the hat to him today and let him work on mimicking Luka later.

Last edited by SMC0007; 01-28-2020 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-28-2020, 09:37 AM   #59
tap2390
Golden Member

tap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant future

Delon and KP have really stepped up their activity level (especially on offense). Delon definitely deserves more minutes, but I think that’ll be addressed this offseason by moving Brunson.
Old 01-28-2020, 01:25 PM   #60
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
The problem is that your bias against Rick makes it hard to take you seriously on any subject pertaining him.

There is nothing to apologize for. Rick is one of the bright spots this season. No coach is perfect.
That doesn't make any sense. When somebody is right, they are right. It doesn't matter whether or not you happen to agree or disagree with their perceived biases.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 01:54 PM   #61
Dallas41

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
That doesn't make any sense. When somebody is right, they are right. It doesn't matter whether or not you happen to agree or disagree with their perceived biases.
That guy will continue to believe that if anyone points out issues with RC it means they are a hater.

For the record I've never once said RC should be fired or he isn't a good coach.

I believe RC is a top 10 coach not top 3 like so many others might proclaim.

I just don't believe all these late game collapses are all on the players or just lack of experience. Some of that falls on the coach.

Curry never mentioned lack of experience he made it a point to say the offense was too predictable.

There are quite a few fans who watch the mavs religiously that can tell you KP just stands outside late in games with no movement and Luka pounds the ball like Harden and that is why the offense bogs down in these close games.

If we can see it as fans and Curry comes out and states it then why can't the coaching staff adjust it?
Old 01-28-2020, 01:58 PM   #62
mac222b
Diamond Member

mac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond reputemac222b has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That guy will continue to believe that if anyone points out issues with RC it means they are a hater.

For the record I've never once said RC should be fired or he isn't a good coach.

I just don't believe all these late game collapses are all on the players or just lack of experience. Some of that falls on the coach.

Curry never mentioned lack of experience he made it a point to say the offense was too predictable.

There are quite a few fans who watch the mavs religiously that can tell you KP just stands outside late in games with no movement and Luka pounds the ball like Harden and that is why the offense bogs down in these close games.

If we can see it as fans and Curry comes out and states it then why can't the coaching staff adjust it?
I think RC is a top-5 coach. I love Luka. I also think that the offense is predictable and Luka pounds the rock down the stretch of games.
mac222b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 02:10 PM   #63
SMC0007
Diamond Member

I think RC is a top 5 coach too. AND I don't think anyone should shy away from giving their opinion just because players or coaches are generally really good. As long as it is in perspective. We all know RC is good and we all know Luka is good, but neither are beyond improvement.

Old 01-28-2020, 02:14 PM   #64
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
Delon and KP have really stepped up their activity level (especially on offense). Delon definitely deserves more minutes, but I think thatíll be addressed this offseason by moving Brunson.
Free Delon!
Delon's no Felon!
Wright is right!
Old 01-28-2020, 03:03 PM   #65
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
If 90% of a person's posts are taking shots directly or indirectly at Rick, then yes, it absolutely matters. And the opinion is still subjective anyway. Seth Curry saying they are too predictable in the clutch doesn't make it all Rick's fault.
Old 01-28-2020, 03:29 PM   #66
KillerLeft

KillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant futureKillerLeft has a brilliant future

Quote:

There could literally be dozens of reasons. The team is young, and it's possible that the coaching staff is trying to minimize late game error (for better or worse) by allowing only the actions/plays they believe the team has MASTERED, and not the parts of the offense that are still works in progress.

This would shed a different light on Curry's comment, for sure. He could say that and be very aware of the situation, and the reasoning behind it, without feeling the need to throw certain teammates under the bus, such as "we have this great double screen action we wish we could go to, but Kleber always blows it up in practice, so it's not ready yet." This is just an example.

Take it from someone who has spent a lot of time teaching in a competitive, team-based environment: What the students demonstrate when it counts is NOT always representative of what the teachers understand, or what they've endeavored to get the students to demonstrate.
KillerLeft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2020, 06:08 PM   #67
LukaMagic

Quote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DksWW9lJ_D0

The last play is the one you are talking about. Imo, it's real picky to argue with the reverse layup in this situation. If he used his body and goes with the right side natural layup maybe gets the and1 or gets free throws...or maybe it gets blocked... but man that dude had an incredible game. Lets just tip the hat to him today and let him work on mimicking Luka later.
Yes. Watching that video again it looks real picky to fault Delon for that play. He had a great game.
Old 01-28-2020, 06:15 PM   #68
LukaMagic

Quote:
Hmmm

I am sure RC would love to stop leaving it up to Luka so much. But the issue has always been "What is the alternative?". Last year, without Luka on the floor, this team would basically disintegrate offensively. Collapse. Now, with KP and Seth, there are some alternatives to consider (JJ too I guess) and plays to draw, but KP is only starting to find his groove and Seth has been inconsistent. And if you push people like THJ and Delon Wright too much you are seriously risking ruining their confidence.