Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: Who will be Mavs player of the game?
Mavs win by 20+ 0 0%
Mavs win by 10-19 0 0%
Mavs win by 1-9 4 66.67%
Mavs lose by 1-9 1 16.67%
Mavs lose by 10-19 0 0%
Mavs lose by 20+ 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-07-2020, 10:42 PM   #81
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Yes, none of the 5 players on the floor executed basic defense... But it's always the guy who isn't on the floor that should have saved the day, isn't it? That's some lazy bitching right there.
Basic logic would suggest that if the current combo on the floor couldn't get the job done, and the only other options have to come from the bench, anybody with half a brain would understand that one would have to consider the alternative options on the bench when reevaluating what could've been done better. I thought you were smart enough to understand this, but well, if that's lazy to you, then you must be too lazy to even think. SMH
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-07-2020, 10:52 PM   #82
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
Nah, he's just the guy that took their #1 shot blocker and defensive presence in the paint off the court at the end of the game, and the Mavs lost by giving up an effing layup, but hey, you go ahead and defend that move. I really don't care if you agree with me or not.
Huh? Porzingis was in the game for that play.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:01 PM   #83
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Of all the games, this is Rick’s fault? Naturally.

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 02-07-2020 at 11:47 PM.
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 11:05 PM   #84
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
Huh? Porzingis was in the game for that play.
Doh! Thanks for pointing that out. I just went back and rewatched. KP was defending the inbounds pass at the top of my screen. He blended in with the bench, so I never really saw him. My mistake. Okay, RC put KP on the inbounds to disrupt, so RC did not make the mistake of NOT having KP in the game, but he did take him out of the paint. If the goal was to have a big, long body to disrupt the inbounds, then why didn't RC put Boban on him and let KP guard the paint? Like KP, Bobi wasn't going to be able to do anything if the ball made it successfully into play. Just asking questions here people. Don't get so freaking bent out of shape. Damn. LOL Once the ball was successfully inbounded, KP was effectively done as far as defense goes for the possession. I bet RC would do it differently now if he had a do-over.

He did use Boban for the final .2 for a possible tip-in. Why didn't he think of using him to disrupt the inbounds from a half-court set? Then KP would've been free to guard the paint.

Last edited by turin; 02-07-2020 at 11:25 PM.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:08 PM   #85
turin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
If all the games, this is Rick’s fault? Naturally.
Does he share no blame? It's not an all or nothing deal here. Why do people not seem to get that? Just because it's not ALL his fault does not mean that there weren't options that he didn't consider or try that might have changed the outcome. Yes, players play, but in the end, it is the coach who decides what players are on the floor and when, so it all eventually comes back to him. That's just the nature of the beast. Just like superstars like Luka will bear greater scrutiny than other, lesser talented players. They get somewhat of a pass because people don't expect as much from them. RC is a very good coach. Yes, I expect better from him.

Last edited by turin; 02-07-2020 at 11:15 PM.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:33 PM   #86
Dallas41

Dallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Borderline playoff team with these guys. We miss Luka and Powell.

The biggest overarching thing you can say about this team is they are soft. And I don’t mean in a tough guy tech foul way. They fold up at the drop of a hat. There’s rarely any grind or motivation in this team.

And as a team, I don’t see any growth from these clutch losses. But I have no answer for the solution.
It's becoming unbearable to watch

You might as well stick a fork in them anytime this team gets into a close game with less than 3:00 left

Either they blow a 20 point lead and lose games or they get beat in crunch time in a close game.

There's really no answers at this point.

We are who we are might as well get that 7th seed and just be happy with the 4 or 5 games of playoff experience the team will get before getting the brakes beat off them by the Clippers or Lakers

Truly wish this summer we can get a couple of cheap defensive wings
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 11:51 PM   #87
Melonhead
Diamond Member

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

My biggest gripe is our new guy WCS. A few of us said on here and/or twitter it would be a pointless acquisition because RC won’t play bigs. He would’ve been a DNP if Porzingis wasn’t in foul trouble. I shouldn’t know the coach’s tendencies that well that WCS would be a waste on the bench.
Old 02-07-2020, 11:52 PM   #88
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Doh! Thanks for pointing that out. I just went back and rewatched. KP was defending the inbounds pass at the top of my screen. He blended in with the bench, so I never really saw him. My mistake. Okay, RC put KP on the inbounds to disrupt, so RC did not make the mistake of NOT having KP in the game, but he did take him out of the paint. If the goal was to have a big, long body to disrupt the inbounds, then why didn't RC put Boban on him and let KP guard the paint? Like KP, Bobi wasn't going to be able to do anything if the ball made it successfully into play. Just asking questions here people. Don't get so freaking bent out of shape. Damn. LOL Once the ball was successfully inbounded, KP was effectively done as far as defense goes for the possession. I bet RC would do it differently now if he had a do-over.

He did use Boban for the final .2 for a possible tip-in. Why didn't he think of using him to disrupt the inbounds from a half-court set? Then KP would've been free to guard the paint.
I wasn't bent out of shape, just pointing it out. Maxi was also on the floor, so there were already two bigs. You want a third? Wizards were pretty much all guards and forwards. Rui and Mahinmi were on the bench. I know you think Boban is the solution to all the Mavs problems, but that was not the time of the game for him. The inbounder still has to be guarded after he throws the ball in. WCS would have made more sense than Boban, but still, they had two bigs on the floor already.

Last edited by FreshJive; 02-08-2020 at 12:00 AM.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 11:55 PM   #89
Dallas41

Dallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukaMagic View Post
Seems like RC made some poor choices there at the end. And bring Boban for just 0.2 seconds? Makes little sense.
He was just trying out new things in preparation for the playoffs

He's keeping a list of all the failed things so he can avoid making those same coaching decisions over again when the games really count
Old 02-07-2020, 11:59 PM   #90
FreshJive
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
It's becoming unbearable to watch

You might as well stick a fork in them anytime this team gets into a close game with less than 3:00 left

Either they blow a 20 point lead and lose games or they get beat in crunch time in a close game.

There's really no answers at this point.

We are who we are might as well get that 7th seed and just be happy with the 4 or 5 games of playoff experience the team will get before getting the brakes beat off them by the Clippers or Lakers

Truly wish this summer we can get a couple of cheap defensive wings
31-21. Before the season started, playoffs seemed like a long shot. Luka has turned this thing around quickly. Mavs fans should consider themselves incredibly lucky. If it's so unbearable, maybe don't watch.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:15 AM   #91
Dallas41

Quote:
31-21. Before the season started, playoffs seemed like a long shot. Luka has turned this thing around quickly. Mavs fans should consider themselves incredibly lucky. If it's so unbearable, maybe don't watch.
Now add the 10+ games that they should have won on the top of that and tell us if we should still be happy

It's not about if they were expected to make the playoffs or not

Hell okc and Memphis weren't expected to make the playoffs either but you don't see them constantly blowing these types of games

Heck Okc was one of those teams who beat us down the stretch

At what point is it ok for fans to start expecying the team to finish off this types of games.....

2 years from now, 3 years from now you tell me what's a legit time frame for us not to get frustrated over constant choke jobs

And just for the record the analyst on nba TV both said that last possession defense by Dallas was inexcusable

That has nothing to do with this being a young team excuse

Last edited by Dallas41; 02-08-2020 at 12:20 AM.
Old 02-08-2020, 12:26 AM   #92
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

I like turtles
Old 02-08-2020, 12:38 AM   #93
Dallas41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
My biggest gripe is our new guy WCS. A few of us said on here and/or twitter it would be a pointless acquisition because RC won’t play bigs. He would’ve been a DNP if Porzingis wasn’t in foul trouble. I shouldn’t know the coach’s tendencies that well that WCS would be a waste on the bench.
Thank you sir for pointing this out

This is apart of coaching

Not sure how anyone can defend the decision to repeatedly play small ball when it's not conducive to us winning games

This roster isn't built to win playing with small lineups and it repeatedly bites us in the ass and a few guys will defend it to death

I knew this would turn into a situational thing for WCS. It has nothing to do with matchups because dude has played and started games of his career vs any type of of lineups big or small

This has everything to do with the coach deciding he's going to force this small lineups to work regardless of matchups.

That last Houston game when we decided to throw barea and broekhoff out there as starters for no damn reason at all should tell you something. Why would you start off a game putting out a weak ass defensive lineup vs a team like Houston then you wonder why you had to fight a uphill battle all game.

WCS will be no different from J.McGee on this team he is essentially going to get inconsistent minutes and it won't even be based on matchups.

I'm guessing the only way dude will get on the floor for consistent minutes is if he somehow lights it up as a lob threat when luka gets back in the lineup.

That is the only way I can see RC being forced to use him 16-18 mpg every night

Last edited by Dallas41; 02-08-2020 at 12:39 AM.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:44 AM   #94
FreshJive
Diamond Member

Quote:
Now add the 10+ games that they should have won on the top of that and tell us if we should still be happy

It's not about if they were expected to make the playoffs or not

Hell okc and Memphis weren't expected to make the playoffs either but you don't see them constantly blowing these types of games

Heck Okc was one of those teams who beat us down the stretch

At what point is it ok for fans to start expecying the team to finish off this types of games.....

2 years from now, 3 years from now you tell me what's a legit time frame for us not to get frustrated over constant choke jobs

And just for the record the analyst on nba TV both said that last possession defense by Dallas was inexcusable

That has nothing to do with this being a young team excuse
10+ games huh? So the Mavs should be 41 and 11 at worst. Ahead of the Lakers and Clippers. If only they could catch those Bucks. Cuban should hire the NBA TV analysts to come here and turn this thing around.

Last edited by FreshJive; 02-08-2020 at 07:46 AM.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 08:19 AM   #95
j0Shi
Diamond Member

j0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond reputej0Shi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
To add to this point, I do see a lot of wrong expectations based on early season performance. You can say injuries, but Mavs right now are no longer that offensive powerhouse (and net rating) that they were for most of the season. As a result games against the Wizards on the road are far from a guaranteed win. If you have KP in foul trouble, Doncic missing, and random role players going off for the opponent, chances are that you're going to lose even against bad to mediocre teams.

Although some want to label this loss inexcusable, a -1 margin was actually very much in the range of possible outcomes. People better realize that the Mavs are trending down, and not all of it can be contributed to injuries.

Last edited by j0Shi; 02-08-2020 at 08:19 AM.
j0Shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:22 AM   #96
Dallas41

Quote:
10+ games huh? So the Mavs should be 41 and 11 at worst. Ahead of the Lakers and Clippers. If only they could catch those Bucks. Cuban should hire the NBA TV analysts to come here and turn this thing around.
You disagree that they should have won these games had they closed it out properly

Toronto blew a 30 point

1st Lakers game left d.green wide open for a 3 pt shot when everyone collapsed on Lebron for no damn reason once he got into the paint. A layup or dunk by lebron doesnt beat you on that possession

Lost twice to the damn Knicks

Lost to the Bobcats

Lost to the nuggets poor defensive logic on last play ending up with dfs defending the post on jokic

1st matchup with Portland blew another 20 point lead

This Washington game last night up 5 with 1:40 left only to miss late game ft and then turn around and once again blow a damn defensive assignment just like they did vs Denver and the Lakers on last possession

So there I've rattled off 8 games off the top of my head that this team should have won and fans who watched those 8 games can't deny the mavs blew that shit if they being honest

I'm sure there are about 2-3 other games this year that I didn't list that others on here would agree the mavs had a great shot to win in they closed properly can't remember what transpired vs the kings for example

This team should be closer to 4th seed at worse if they knew how to close out damn games regardless of what their expectations were coming into the year your giving them excuses for the constant blown games and justifying it by saying they weren't even supposed to make the playoffs...

Now you look up and OKC who started the year pretty bad has forged ahead of the mavs and they were also one of those teams who exploited our ass in a class game

And for the record no one is expecting this team to be perfect. We all know shit happens in sports and sometimes things don't go your way.

But come on man go back and watch all those games that I listened and after you watch those games asked yourself honestly should the mavs had won a great deal of those games 8 of which I posted
Old 02-08-2020, 02:42 PM   #97
turin
Diamond Member

Quote:
I wasn't bent out of shape, just pointing it out. Maxi was also on the floor, so there were already two bigs. You want a third? Wizards were pretty much all guards and forwards. Rui and Mahinmi were on the bench. I know you think Boban is the solution to all the Mavs problems, but that was not the time of the game for him. The inbounder still has to be guarded after he throws the ball in. WCS would have made more sense than Boban, but still, they had two bigs on the floor already.
Now that you mention it, WCS would've been better on the inbounds. I like Maxi a lot, but there's a huge difference between him or KP in the paint. Give me KP all day, every day over Maxi

Edit: FreshJive, my apologies. The "bent out of shape" was a general comment. It wasn't directed at you, but rather the audience in general, but after rereading my post, it may not have come across that way. Also, after rethinking, I think WCS and his athleticism is a better choice on the inbounds pass than Boban, so I agree with you on that one.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited by turin; 02-08-2020 at 05:12 PM.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:33 AM   #98
FreshJive
Diamond Member

Quote:
You disagree that they should have won these games had they closed it out properly

Toronto blew a 30 point

1st Lakers game left d.green wide open for a 3 pt shot when everyone collapsed on Lebron for no damn reason once he got into the paint. A layup or dunk by lebron doesnt beat you on that possession

Lost twice to the damn Knicks

Lost to the Bobcats

Lost to the nuggets poor defensive logic on last play ending up with dfs defending the post on jokic

1st matchup with Portland blew another 20 point lead

This Washington game last night up 5 with 1:40 left only to miss late game ft and then turn around and once again blow a damn defensive assignment just like they did vs Denver and the Lakers on last possession

So there I've rattled off 8 games off the top of my head that this team should have won and fans who watched those 8 games can't deny the mavs blew that shit if they being honest

I'm sure there are about 2-3 other games this year that I didn't list that others on here would agree the mavs had a great shot to win in they closed properly can't remember what transpired vs the kings for example

This team should be closer to 4th seed at worse if they knew how to close out damn games regardless of what their expectations were coming into the year your giving them excuses for the constant blown games and justifying it by saying they weren't even supposed to make the playoffs...

Now you look up and OKC who started the year pretty bad has forged ahead of the mavs and they were also one of those teams who exploited our ass in a class game

And for the record no one is expecting this team to be perfect. We all know shit happens in sports and sometimes things don't go your way.

But come on man go back and watch all those games that I listened and after you watch those games asked yourself honestly should the mavs had won a great deal of those games 8 of which I posted
You are being irrational here, and even when it's being pointed out to you, you don't see it.
Old 02-09-2020, 07:36 AM   #99
FreshJive
Diamond Member

Quote:
Now that you mention it, WCS would've been better on the inbounds. I like Maxi a lot, but there's a huge difference between him or KP in the paint. Give me KP all day, every day over Maxi

Edit: FreshJive, my apologies. The "bent out of shape" was a general comment. It wasn't directed at you, but rather the audience in general, but after rereading my post, it may not have come across that way. Also, after rethinking, I think WCS and his athleticism is a better choice on the inbounds pass than Boban, so I agree with you on that one.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I've got no problems with WCS being the 2nd big in that situation.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:10 AM   #100
Dallas41

Quote:
You are being irrational here, and even when it's being pointed out to you, you don't see it.
You didn't point anything out though lol

I followed up your post with a collection of 8 games that the mavs in all purposes should have won since you questioned that their record couldn't have been among the top 4 or 5 in the nba this year.

No team is going to be perfect but yes I believe those 8 games I referenced the mavs should have sealed the deal and they let it slip away heck one of the games I didn't even list was that wizzards game in which curry said himself they should have won that game

My opinion is their record should definitely be better if you watched any of those games I pointed out