Yes! We're desperate. We need to maximize time 2 10.00%
Yes, but only the right one. Be aggressive but patient 15 75.00%
Apathetic. Just apathetic. 0 0%
No. Let's see what we have with KP and Doncic when they get healthy. 3 15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-05-2020, 05:44 AM   #81
Thespiralgoeson
Diamond Member

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
The bigger question is what the trade market actually is for Drummond. Like, why would a trade rumor like that just leak out? I really don't believe teams are actually lining up to give up huge assets for him. Sounds like an agent leak to start a bidding war.
Do you not think he's going to at least get a max contract? I'd be surprised if he didn't. As for giving up "huge assets," I don't know about "huge" but I imagine someone will give up something of value for him. At least a first round pick or two plus say an expiring and/or a decent role player. That's why I doubt he ends up here.

If nobody does trade for him, I think that has more to do with the fact that a team that's really interested in him can just wait it out til the summer when he's a free agent.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-05-2020, 10:56 AM   #82
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Have you not learned anything watching Lakers, clippers, raptors the last few offseasons? Assets = Moves.

Remember when everyone laughed at the rockets with Chris Paul contract? Well guess who he plays for now. You can always move guys.
Golden State also acquired an "asset". How is that working out for them?

Lakers trade involved a lot of recent first round picks and 3 first round picks. Clippers moved 5 first round picks. Paul's trade involved 2 first round picks and 2 pick swaps and only happened because of the George trade

Notice I said 5 years. Since we would have have a first available for awhile because of the KP trade, we don't have the grease to help move a player for a better player. We don't have young assets that other teams are tripping over themselves to get (Brunson has made no real progress over last year and Jackson isn't a key to any trade)

Our best hope is the 2021 free agency period. There are really good players available. I know Giannis is a pipe dream and Leonard and George aren't coming here (assuming they opt out) but the hope is that one of the other good players would want to play here with Luka

Is Drummond better than Gobert? What about Holiday? Oladipo? Adams?
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 11:11 AM   #83
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

A minor deal I would like to see would be to trade for Crowder. We could absorb him with the trade exception and we could probably get him for our second (not the Golden State one - that's more valuable than a half season of Crowder)
Old 01-05-2020, 11:20 AM   #84
Thespiralgoeson
Diamond Member

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFFL View Post
Golden State also acquired an "asset". How is that working out for them?

Lakers trade involved a lot of recent first round picks and 3 first round picks. Clippers moved 5 first round picks. Paul's trade involved 2 first round picks and 2 pick swaps and only happened because of the George trade

Notice I said 5 years. Since we would have have a first available for awhile because of the KP trade, we don't have the grease to help move a player for a better player. We don't have young assets that other teams are tripping over themselves to get (Brunson has made no real progress over last year and Jackson isn't a key to any trade)

Our best hope is the 2021 free agency period. There are really good players available. I know Giannis is a pipe dream and Leonard and George aren't coming here (assuming they opt out) but the hope is that one of the other good players would want to play here with Luka

Is Drummond better than Gobert? What about Holiday? Oladipo? Adams?
Heís a better player than Adams and itís not really even close. But Adams might be less costly.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 01:05 PM   #85
MFFL
Guru

If we want to delay the process for a couple of years we could attempt to get Kuzma

JJ/Curry for Kuzma/Bradley works. We'd have to add more to the deal of course but it would maximize the Lakers attempt to win it all this year. JJ is a great backup point guard and Curry would provide shooting

Neither of the guys we would acquire would do anything to hurt our 2021 free agency hunt
Old 01-05-2020, 05:23 PM   #86
Dallas41

Dallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of light

I see a lot of fans are against upgrading the 5 spot with Drummond

The sad part is I got a weird feeling the Mavs are going to make a move on freakin Kelly Olynyk to add depth up front

He's a better floor space than Drummond is what the spin will be and some of these same fans will tell you he's the perfect 5 for Dallas to defend that type of move
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 06:43 PM   #87
Melonhead
Diamond Member

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
If we want to delay the process for a couple of years we could attempt to get Kuzma

JJ/Curry for Kuzma/Bradley works. We'd have to add more to the deal of course but it would maximize the Lakers attempt to win it all this year. JJ is a great backup point guard and Curry would provide shooting

Neither of the guys we would acquire would do anything to hurt our 2021 free agency hunt
Kuzma is the absolute lol.
Old 01-05-2020, 06:44 PM   #88
Melonhead
Diamond Member

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
A minor deal I would like to see would be to trade for Crowder. We could absorb him with the trade exception and we could probably get him for our second (not the Golden State one - that's more valuable than a half season of Crowder)
We already have a better crowder. He struggles at what heís supposed to be good at.
Old 01-05-2020, 06:56 PM   #89
MFFL
Guru

Quote:
We already have a better crowder. He struggles at what heís supposed to be good at.
You can never have too many 3&d wings

Granted Crowder 3 isn't falling and his d isn't what it normally is
Old 01-05-2020, 11:15 PM   #90
Melonhead
Diamond Member

Drummond just switched off AD and chase down blocked Carusoís dunk.

The only thing worth discussing is his price which I agree is too high, but anyone suggesting weíre fine with Powell there with KP now is insane.
Old 01-05-2020, 11:45 PM   #91
Dallas41

Dallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

The only thing worth discussing is his price which I agree is too high, but anyone suggesting weíre fine with Powell there with KP now is insane.
Anyone who watches Drummond knows he's way better than Powell

The dude avg 2 steals and 2 blocks a game yet some delusional fans will argue that he can't play defense

This Lakers game is nothing new he's mobile enough to defend on switches and big enough to make things tough inside for guys like davis to bully Dallas

But hey the mavs are locked in on their style of players and Drummond apparently doesn't fit the mavs system

So I expect someone like olynyk to be a more desired target because that's how the mavs function

If Rudy Gobert was available I believe the mavs would pass on him to because he doesnt space the floor
Old 01-06-2020, 12:00 AM   #92
MFFL
Guru

Quote:

I don't dispute that Drummond is better. I can't imagine anyone other than Powell's mother disagreeing

But is he missing piece to a title team? Because as I said earlier, it will be hard to make any future improvements if we trade for him
Old 01-06-2020, 12:08 AM   #93
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I don't dispute that Drummond is better. I can't imagine anyone other than Powell's mother disagreeing

But is he missing piece to a title team? Because as I said earlier, it will be hard to make any future improvements if we trade for him
This

Bad teams lock into guys that max their cap space without being good enough to compete

Charlotte did it and they had to blow it up or forever be mediocre
Pistons are currently suffering from it

No one is arguing Drummond isn’t better. He’d immediately be our second best center ever (between Chandler and Jordan). He’s just not enough and he’d basically have to be with our financials and our total lack of assets (no first-rounders until 2025, etc.)

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 01-06-2020 at 12:19 AM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 12:37 AM   #94
Dallas41

I remember this summer the mavs passed up on dwight Howard for dirt cheap

I also remember that j.mcgee couldn't even get minutes in Dallas

Then you watch these two guys police the paint in LA and it makes you scratch your head at times
Old 01-06-2020, 08:56 AM   #95
Melonhead
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
This

Bad teams lock into guys that max their cap space without being good enough to compete

Charlotte did it and they had to blow it up or forever be mediocre
Pistons are currently suffering from it

No one is arguing Drummond isnít better. Heíd immediately be our second best center ever (between Chandler and Jordan). Heís just not enough and heíd basically have to be with our financials and our total lack of assets (no first-rounders until 2025, etc.)
Statistically heíd instantly be our best center ever. I really donít think you guys watch him at all. And heís be an easy piece to move if for some reason it didnít work out because heís so good. Again the only question is if youíre willing to pay him. Yes I do think he would put this team over the top.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:36 AM   #96
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post

Then you watch these two guys police the paint in LA and it makes you scratch your head at times
When did we pass on Howard? Just because he signed with the Lakers for cheap doesnít mean he was ever interested in signing with us for the same amount.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 09:37 AM   #97
MFFL
Guru

Quote:
And heís be an easy piece to move if for some reason it didnít work out because heís so good.
Then the asking price for him will be WAAAY too high for us to trade for him so the question is moot

But the offers for Drummond right now seem to be in the range of a protected first and some expiring contracts. That's not a high return so obviously there is not a huge demand
Old 01-06-2020, 11:10 AM   #98
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Statistically heíd instantly be our best center ever. I really donít think you guys watch him at all. And heís be an easy piece to move if for some reason it didnít work out because heís so good. Again the only question is if youíre willing to pay him. Yes I do think he would put this team over the top.
It's puzzling. The start of this opposition was he was a terrible fit. That fell apart and now it's about money. Meanwhile we have Crowder and Kuzma talk.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:32 AM   #99
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Is he a missing piece too a championship... Who in the league is guaranteed that ending? Seriously. Milwaukee, Lakers, Clippers? You make the best moves you can and hope it works out, if it doesn't you make other moves when you can, the sun comes up again tomorrow. Putting our hopes on FA signings has not been fruitful, even when we had money to spend so I don't have a great outlook on that front.

Old 01-06-2020, 11:51 AM   #100
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:

Yeah, I got tired of pointing stuff like this out and bitching about it all the time.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:53 AM   #101
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
Is he a missing piece too a championship... Who in the league is guaranteed that ending? Seriously. Milwaukee, Lakers, Clippers? You make the best moves you can and hope it works out, if it doesn't you make other moves when you can, the sun comes up again tomorrow. Putting our hopes on FA signings has not been fruitful, even when we had money to spend so I don't have a great outlook on that front.
Agree. I tell you what. I'd roll with a core of Luka, Drummond, and KP. Yeah, nobody would possibly want to come to Dallas to play with that beast of a trio. SMH

RC is a coach, so if his flow offense isn't a good fit, then change that bitch. Players win games.

Last edited by turin; 01-06-2020 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-06-2020, 11:56 AM   #102
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
Agree. I tell you what. I'd roll with a core of Luka, Drummond, and KP. Yeah, nobody would possibly want to come to Dallas to play with that beast of a trio. SMH
Won’t matter if anyone wants to come or not because with KP maxed, Drummond is due for a big pay day, so we won’t have much money left over to sign anyone I don’t believe. Regardless if Drummond is a fit or not it appears there are better offers on the table for his services. We have little assets to trade.

Last edited by BPo001; 01-06-2020 at 11:57 AM.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:57 AM   #103
turin
Diamond Member

Last edited by turin; 01-06-2020 at 11:58 AM.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:00 PM   #104
turin
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Wonít matter if anyone wants to come or not because with KP maxed, Drummond is due for a big pay day, so we wonít have much money left over to sign anyone I donít believe. Regardless if Drummond is a fit or not it appears there are better offers on the table for his services. We have little assets to trade.
Meh, a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. It's not as if we've been hitting on spectacular free agents. /sarc Drummond is not going to all of a sudden have zero value. See Chris Paul.
Old 01-06-2020, 12:55 PM   #105
Melonhead
Diamond Member

Quote:
Meh, a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. It's not as if we've been hitting on spectacular free agents. /sarc Drummond is not going to all of a sudden have zero value. See Chris Paul.
Exactly. Even I thought they would be stuck with that insane contract for CP. You cant sit on your hands and wait til 2021 FA and hope, which Mavs fans are good at doing.

Secure Drummond, and if he becomes too expensive when Luka is scheduled to be paid, you use the asset in Drummond to acquire new assets. Who knows KP might not even last through his full deal.

Last edited by Melonhead; 01-06-2020 at 02:47 PM.
Melonhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 01:08 PM   #106
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

So how are we acquiring Drummond, again? Do we have tradable assets that can get it done?
Old 01-06-2020, 01:18 PM   #107
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
So how are we acquiring Drummond, again? Do we have tradable assets that can get it done?
I'm sure Detroit will take guys we don't like like Powell, second-rounders, and our 2025 and 2027 first-rounder.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 01-06-2020 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:22 PM   #108
SMC0007
Diamond Member

Quote:
We arent getting him...because unfortunately MBT has an odd infatuation with DP perhaps. Or maybe they over value chemistry of the current team. We will see how much either of these hold up if we drop down the playoff picture. This became more about whether or not Drummond could fit here. Then morphed into we need to save money for assets...that never come here. I appreciate the idea of keeping some financial wiggle room and see where those concerned are coming from, but what is the ratio of us signing big name game changers in free agency vs striking out?

Old 01-06-2020, 01:40 PM   #109
turin
Diamond Member

Quote:
We arent getting him...because unfortunately MBT has an odd infatuation with DP perhaps. Or maybe they over value chemistry of the current team. We will see how much either of these hold up if we drop down the playoff picture. This became more about whether or not Drummond could fit here. Then morphed into we need to save money for assets...that never come here. I appreciate the idea of keeping some financial wiggle room and see where those concerned are coming from, but what is the ratio of us signing big name game changers in free agency vs striking out?
This. The main point rebutted was his fit and how much he'd help.
Old 01-06-2020, 01:42 PM   #110
turin
Diamond Member

Quote:
I'm sure Detroit will take guys we don't like like Powell, second-rounders, and our 2025 and 2027 first-rounder.
That depends. Obviously, the Mavs are in love with Powell. They bid against themselves, gave him a big, fat contract, and he's now starting regardless of how ineffective he is. There must be some value there that we don't see. Maybe the DBT sees it. :-O
Old 01-06-2020, 02:01 PM   #111
Melonhead
Diamond Member

Quote:
That depends. Obviously, the Mavs are in love with Powell. They bid against themselves, gave him a big, fat contract, and he's now starting regardless of how ineffective he is. There must be some value there that we don't see. Maybe the DBT sees it. :-O
I wouldnt consider 9m per year a big fat contract.
Old 01-06-2020, 03:17 PM   #112
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

Quote:
Statistically he’d instantly be our best center ever. I really don’t think you guys watch him at all. And he’s be an easy piece to move if for some reason it didn’t work out because he’s so good. Again the only question is if you’re willing to pay him. Yes I do think he would put this team over the top.
That's not really how stats work. You don't just get to add a player's stats on one team to the new team.

Drummond's rebounding rate is great, but only about on par with Deandre Jordan (and a bit ahead of Chandler) on a team with almost no rebounding (Griffin has been out most of the season). Also he's highly unlikely to average those huge numbers on a team that is already top-5 in rebounding with guys like Doncic and KP hoovering them up.

Drummond's offense is also far from efficient as well and without taking 13-14 FGA, he's not going to average 17ppg and if he does get that many FGA, he's going to be taking away shots from Doncic, KP, or others. His eFG% is 35th among centers and 178th in the league, meaning that 34 centers and 177 overall players score more efficiently than him. He gets high scoring numbers, but he does so at a very inefficient rate.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's better than anything we have at the center spot, but he's an extemely high usage/low efficiency player whose main skill (rebounding) would not be nearly as useful here while his high PPG is largely because of his high USAGE and large number of shots.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 01-06-2020 at 03:32 PM.
Old 01-06-2020, 03:27 PM   #113
Melonhead
Diamond Member

Quote:
That's not really how stats work. You don't just get to add a player's stats on one team to the new team.

Drummond's rebounding rate is great, but only about on par with Deandre Jordan (and a bit ahead of Chandler) on a team with almost no rebounding (Griffin has been out most of the season). Also he's highly unlikely to average those huge numbers on a team that is already top-5 in rebounding with guys like Doncic and KP hoovering them up.

Drummond's offense is also far from efficient as well and without taking 13-14 FGA, he's not going to average 17ppg and if he does get that many FGA, he's going to be taking away shots from Doncic, KP, or others. His eFG% is 35th among centers and 178th in the league, meaning that 34 centers and 177 overall players score more efficiently than him. He gets high scoring numbers, but he does so at a very inefficient rate.

Don't get me wrong, I think he's better than anything we have at the center spot, but he's an extemely high usage/low efficiency player whose main skill (rebounding) would not be nearly as useful here while his high PPG is largely because of his high USAGE and large number of shots.

He's
He also wouldnt be used the exact same way in Dallas. He wouldnt be taking long 2s or shots outside the paint. Those rankings really dont matter much with context of hes in Detroit. He'd get less shots and the efficiency would go up. I would expect rebounding to hover around the same, maybe a couple less.

Last edited by Melonhead; 01-06-2020 at 03:27 PM.
Melonhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 04:16 PM   #114
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Even if we didn't care about keeping our powder fresh for future stars, how could we even acquire Drummond? If Dwight is trash, then why would Detroit want him? And are we a better team if we swap out THJ for him? Because a trade isn't even possible without including at least one of those two guys... So if we can't get him, then why are we even debating the fit?

Might as well talk about my hot date with a Hollywood starlet tonight. At least it's in the realm of possibility!

Last edited by Underdog; 01-06-2020 at 04:18 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 04:18 PM   #115
Dallas41

Quote:
I read a report that suggested a package of Powell, Brunson, Jackson & 2nd round pick.

Now obviously I think Drummond is worth more than that but hey if the Mavs could get a talent like that for just those players and a 2nd round pick I'm not sure how in hell you pass up the opportunity

Again I doubt Detroit does it and I truly believe the mavs would more likely be happy with someone like kelly olynyk because they value outside shooting bigs as opposed to bigs like Drummond

But if they rolled the dice and went into the playoffs with a lineup of the following they very well could make the WCF this year at best.

Drummond
Porzingis
DFS
Hardaway
Luka

Bench
Boban
Kleber
Wright
Curry
Barea

I really love the rotation of Drummond, KP and Kleber because much like LA the mavs could keep a rim protector on the floor at all times and Drummond really reduces the wear and tear on both kleber and Kp to battle stronger players inside
Old 01-06-2020, 04:23 PM   #116
Underdog

Quote:
I read a report that suggested a package of Powell, Brunson, Jackson & 2nd round pick.
If we don't want Powell, then why would they? They're gonna commit to a Griffin/Powell front court for the next few years? The idea kinda falls apart when you start to think about it from their perspective...

Last edited by Underdog; 01-06-2020 at 04:25 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 04:27 PM   #117
MFFL
Guru

Atlanta has reportedly offering the corpse of Parsons and a highly protected first for Drummond. That's better than what we can offer
Old 01-06-2020, 04:28 PM   #118
MFFL
Guru

Quote:
If we don't want Powell, then why would they? They're gonna commit to a Griffin/Powell front court for the next few years? The idea kinda falls apart when you start to think about it from their perspective...
That trade sucks from their POV
Old 01-06-2020, 04:30 PM   #119
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

Quote:
I think you hit the nail on the head. We are really strapped for assets.

Young talent
Brunson - He's decent
Jackson - potential more than skill, but he's okay
Wright - maybe
Doncic - untradable

vets
KP - would have negative value as a guy earning the max
Powell - would he have a positive value?
Kleber- probably
Boban - very little
Curry - maybe, but more value to us
THJ - maybe?
DFS - maybe?

Expiring deals
Lee - 12.7mill
Barea - 2.5mill
Broekhoff - 1.4mill

first-round picks
Mavs first rounder in 2025
Mavs first rounder in 2027

Second-round picks
Mavs have a high second round pick from GSW
Mavs second rounder 2020
Mavs second rounder in 2021, etc.

Cash
5.243 million is still available to give away this season

That's really all we have for assets. Doncic has value but we need him. Would Powell have value? I'm not sure.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 01-06-2020 at 04:32 PM.
Old 01-06-2020, 04:32 PM   #120
turin
Diamond Member

Quote:
I wouldnt consider 9m per year a big fat contract.
When the contract is big enough that the guy is so overpaid that he's untradable, I call that a big, fat contract - and a big, fat waste of money.

Last edited by turin; 01-06-2020 at 04:33 PM.