Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: What will the result of the game be?
Mavs win by 20+ 0 0%
Mavs win by 10-19 1 16.67%
Mavs win by 1-9 3 50.00%
Mavs lose by 1-9 0 0%
Mavs lose by 10-19 1 16.67%
Mavs lose by 20+ 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-05-2020, 10:30 PM   #81
LukaMagic

LukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to all

To get the most out of KP offensively he needs an experienced playmaker who is not concerned about scoring over 20 points himself.
LukaMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2020, 10:31 PM   #82
LukaMagic

LukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukaThaDon View Post
It feels like Brunson is a small sg instead of a pg sometimes. He doesn't create much for anybody. Same can be said for Wright.
Yes, that's kinda how he is playing.
Old 02-05-2020, 10:35 PM   #83
crum

crum has a spectacular aura aboutcrum has a spectacular aura aboutcrum has a spectacular aura about

unironically give JJax's minutes to Lee
crum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:39 PM   #84
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Effort is embarrassing. They are 2 rotations behind on defense.
BPo001 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 10:40 PM   #85
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond reputeBPo001 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice move by JB
Old 02-05-2020, 10:46 PM   #86
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

6 ppg Tyus Jones is 8-8...

Last edited by DevinHarriswillstart; 02-05-2020 at 10:46 PM.
DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2020, 11:35 PM   #87
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

That game got ugly fast. These guys just don’t care about giving the home crowd a show, so they?

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-05-2020 at 11:35 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 02:54 AM   #88
Dallas41

Dallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukaThaDon View Post
If we can get Luka and KP on the same page, and add a third guy we should be competing for titles.
Call me negative Nancy

But I just don't see luka changing his game and taking a step back in order for KP to play this way moving forward

Luka has to buy into less shooting and more facilitating becoming more of a Steve nash type playmaker and game manager

KP should be the main focus early in games get him going and keep feeding him.

But I just don't think it's going to happen...

It's already February and we are still asking why KP doesn't play this way with Luka.

He just stands around and watches when luka plays
Dallas41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:32 AM   #89
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
Call me negative Nancy

But I just don't see luka changing his game and taking a step back in order for KP to play this way moving forward

Luka has to buy into less shooting and more facilitating becoming more of a Steve nash type playmaker and game manager

It's already February and we are still asking why KP doesn't play this way with Luka.

Play what way? I thought the complaint was that he shoots too many threes. In this game 11 of his 20 shots were threes, and in the previous game, 13 of his 20 shots were threes. He's scoring more points because Luka isn't there to take some of his shots. They lost btw. Shitting on Luka is just fucking stupid.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:41 AM   #90
LukaMagic

Quote:
Call me negative Nancy

I agree and disagree with you.

Here's first what I agree with. I think that KP needs to be facilitated more. Not sure yet about being the main guy and he still has ways to go to show/prove that. But he definitely needs to be facilitated more. Simply put, ball needs to be fed to him more and in ways that are suitable for him. From what I gather about him so far, he loooves the pick and pop high at the top of the 3 point line from where he loves to shoot and or try driving. That needs to be provided to him extensively and other options too.

Here is where I disagree with you and where I think your thinking is completely wrong. When you say "Luka has to buy into less shooting and more facilitating becoming more of a Steve nash type playmaker and game manager" you completely miss the point. Luka will never be "a Steve Nash type playmaker" because he is not Steve Nash. Players (great ones in particular) rarely if ever change their ways and only bad coaches try to make them jump out of their skin. Think of Westbrook and imagine trying to make him an assist first player. It's impossible and trying would be stupid. Think of Chris Paul and imagine trying to make him not be a floor general type pointguard. It's impossible and trying would be stupid. Think of Steve Nash and try and make him play like Luka. Get the point? I'm sorry to say, but it is generally bad coaches that think like that and waste years in player and team development. And, you can use the same analogy vis-a-vis any other player you like (MJ, Kobe, Dirk, you name it). Maybe Lebron is a little bit of an exception but I think he changes his game (and player personnel around him) only to optimize his own numbers/production (largely as he's getting older).

The solution I think is getting another playmaker on this team. And that player must be experienced enough, good enough, and confident enough to occasionally-to-often ask/demand the ball in pressure situations from Luka and be able to control the game. That player would also be primarily concerned with facilitating KP. Luka would also be concerned with that, of course (and more than now most def), but Luka would also be let to do his own thing. That player must also have complete RC's trust in how to run the system.

It is not easy to find such players of course. One positive thing is that that player doesn't need to put up great scoring numbers - around 15 is ok. He must also have a good 3pt% and be at least ok on defense.

If you keep expecting Luka to play like Nash you will be perpetually disappointed. Yes Luka can change but not a lot.

Last edited by LukaMagic; 02-06-2020 at 05:43 AM.
Old 02-06-2020, 08:47 AM   #91
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukaMagic View Post
I agree and disagree with you.

Here's first what I agree with. I think that KP needs to be facilitated more. Not sure yet about being the main guy and he still has ways to go to show/prove that. But he definitely needs to be facilitated more. Simply put, ball needs to be fed to him more and in ways that are suitable for him. From what I gather about him so far, he loooves the pick and pop high at the top of the 3 point line from where he loves to shoot and or try driving. That needs to be provided to him extensively and other options too.

Here is where I disagree with you and where I think your thinking is completely wrong. When you say "Luka has to buy into less shooting and more facilitating becoming more of a Steve nash type playmaker and game manager" you completely miss the point. Luka will never be "a Steve Nash type playmaker" because he is not Steve Nash. Players (great ones in particular) rarely if ever change their ways and only bad coaches try to make them jump out of their skin. Think of Westbrook and imagine trying to make him an assist first player. It's impossible and trying would be stupid. Think of Chris Paul and imagine trying to make him not be a floor general type pointguard. It's impossible and trying would be stupid. Think of Steve Nash and try and make him play like Luka. Get the point? I'm sorry to say, but it is generally bad coaches that think like that and waste years in player and team development. And, you can use the same analogy vis-a-vis any other player you like (MJ, Kobe, Dirk, you name it). Maybe Lebron is a little bit of an exception but I think he changes his game (and player personnel around him) only to optimize his own numbers/production (largely as he's getting older).

The solution I think is getting another playmaker on this team. And that player must be experienced enough, good enough, and confident enough to occasionally-to-often ask/demand the ball in pressure situations from Luka and be able to control the game. That player would also be primarily concerned with facilitating KP. Luka would also be concerned with that, of course (and more than now most def), but Luka would also be let to do his own thing. That player must also have complete RC's trust in how to run the system.

It is not easy to find such players of course. One positive thing is that that player doesn't need to put up great scoring numbers - around 15 is ok. He must also have a good 3pt% and be at least ok on defense.

If you keep expecting Luka to play like Nash you will be perpetually disappointed. Yes Luka can change but not a lot.
What about Avery demanding Dirk develop a low post game? In the long run it helped Dirk and the Mavs big time.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 09:34 AM   #92
Dallas41

Dallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to allDallas41 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
Play what way? I thought the complaint was that he shoots too many threes. In this game 11 of his 20 shots were threes, and in the previous game, 13 of his 20 shots were threes. He's scoring more points because Luka isn't there to take some of his shots. They lost btw. Shitting on Luka is just fucking stupid.
Hmmm

I like how you say I'm shitting on luka by suggesting he be more a nash type facilitator as if that's a bad thing

Oh and by the way you do realize KP has shot 12, 10 and 8 Ft's over his last 3 games which tells me he's not just settling for 3's.

Dude is attacking more off the dribble, creating plays for other teammates and getting more set plays run through him

That is totally different from him just being a catch and shoot player most of the games with luka playing.

There really is no difference between KP and THJ usage when they are running everything through luka both guys are spot up shooters right?

I can clearly tell that KP has been much more aggressive offensively and definitely seems to react better as the #1 option

Some of you are assuming I'm proclaiming KP is better than Luka which is not what I'm saying

But I'm saying for the betterment of this team and for KP to be the player we are seeing right now more consistently luka may need to dial it back as a scorer and relinquish more opportunities to KP
Old 02-06-2020, 09:45 AM   #93
BPo001
Diamond Member

Dallas Mavericks forward Kristaps Porzingis will be evaluated Thursday for a broken nose after he left the game against the Memphis Grizzlies with blood streaming down his face.

He confirmed after the 121-107 loss that the nose was broken.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:46 AM   #94
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

No question it was broken.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:06 AM   #95
BPo001
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMC0007 View Post
No question it was broken.
Agreed. It looked crooked to me.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:10 AM   #96
SMC0007
Diamond Member

SMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond reputeSMC0007 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPo001 View Post
Agreed. It looked crooked to me.
Yea. It was crooked as hell. Been there and it's not fun. He will get it straightened out and be back soon.

you just proofed how stupid you are - CRAZYBOY
SMC0007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:31 AM   #97
Dallas41

Anyone else shocked that OKC has caught Dallas in the standings?

I guess they might fall back down if this Gallo trade happens but i must admit a month or two ago I'd never suspect OKC would be possibly better than Dallas

Also I think that Memphis team is going to hold on to that 8th seed

They are a really good young squad with excellent balance on their roster
Old 02-06-2020, 10:50 AM   #98
tap2390
Golden Member

tap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant future

I agree we need to see this Porzingis with Luka. But, I think we have been too quick to assume that Porzingis is benefiting from Luka being out when there are other factors at play...

KP is finally regaining confidence in his legs and taking it off the dribble more. He also has a more aggressive mentality with Luka out since he’s the primary option. He needs to keep that mentality when Luka is back. There’s no reason they can’t work together. To be conclusory about how they’ll play together in the future based on 25-30 games is premature.
Old 02-06-2020, 11:23 AM   #99
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Anyone else shocked that OKC has caught Dallas in the standings?

I guess they might fall back down if this Gallo trade happens but i must admit a month or two ago I'd never suspect OKC would be possibly better than Dallas

Also I think that Memphis team is going to hold on to that 8th seed

They are a really good young squad with excellent balance on their roster
Sit CP3 for 1/5 of the season and we'll see if they're as good as Dallas... It's not like we've been playing full strength lately.

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.

Last edited by Underdog; 02-06-2020 at 11:23 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:22 PM   #100
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Hmmm

I like how you say I'm shitting on luka by suggesting he be more a nash type facilitator as if that's a bad thing

Oh and by the way you do realize KP has shot 12, 10 and 8 Ft's over his last 3 games which tells me he's not just settling for 3's.

Dude is attacking more off the dribble, creating plays for other teammates and getting more set plays run through him

That is totally different from him just being a catch and shoot player most of the games with luka playing.

There really is no difference between KP and THJ usage when they are running everything through luka both guys are spot up shooters right?

I can clearly tell that KP has been much more aggressive offensively and definitely seems to react better as the #1 option

Some of you are assuming I'm proclaiming KP is better than Luka which is not what I'm saying

But I'm saying for the betterment of this team and for KP to be the player we are seeing right now more consistently luka may need to dial it back as a scorer and relinquish more opportunities to KP
You were blaming Luka for KP’s lack of aggressiveness, and concern trolling over his ability to change. Same type of things you go “Negative Nancy” over when talking about Rick. They are the two best things going for the Mavs, and you constantly whine about them. Steve Nash is one of my favorite players ever btw.

KP is free to drive, any time he wants when the ball is in his hands. He usually shoots the three, just like the last two games, but when he is the only main option he naturally will have a few extra drives mixed in there.

Luka averages 9 ft attempts per game, he also attacks off the dribble, and gets his teammates involved, although he doesn’t really need the set plays. He’s just better than Porzingis at these things. That’s why you run the offense through him.

Last edited by FreshJive; 02-06-2020 at 10:22 PM.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:51 PM   #101
LukaMagic

Quote:
Originally Posted by turin View Post
What about Avery demanding Dirk develop a low post game? In the long run it helped Dirk and the Mavs big time.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Yes. That is the sort of change that I think is possible for a specific player over a specific period of time. And that is not saying Dirk should play more like Patrick Ewing or Olajuwon.
Old 02-07-2020, 02:04 AM   #102
Dallas41

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
You were blaming Luka for KP’s lack of aggressiveness, and concern trolling over his ability to change. Same type of things you go “Negative Nancy” over when talking about Rick. They are the two best things going for the Mavs, and you constantly whine about them. Steve Nash is one of my favorite players ever btw.

KP is free to drive, any time he wants when the ball is in his hands. He usually shoots the three, just like the last two games, but when he is the only main option he naturally will have a few extra drives mixed in there.

Luka averages 9 ft attempts per game, he also attacks off the dribble, and gets his teammates involved, although he doesn’t really need the set plays. He’s just better than Porzingis at these things. That’s why you run the offense through him.
Yadda yadda yadda

Obviously you have no idea what I'm talking about

Let's agree to disagree
Old 02-07-2020, 10:58 AM   #103
Dallas41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Sit CP3 for 1/5 of the season and we'll see if they're as good as Dallas... It's not like we've been playing full strength lately.
Injuries are apart of the game and OKC got off to a rough start to begin the season.

But they played Dallas head to head and CP3 killed us late in that game

I mean we can debate it but I'm not sure it's a foregone conclusion that if both teams are fully healthy the mavs are the overall better team.

Let's not forget that organization really was looking at this season as a total rebuild and looking to trade just about everyone.

When they lineup this unit below they are a tough matchup for our mavs which is why I say it's not a guarantee the mavs are better even if both teams are fully healthy

Plus you could make an argument they close out games better us

Paul
Shroeder
SGA
Gallo
Adams

I'm not that confident even when luka comes back that we can separate from them in the standings which is bad news if we don't because then were are looking at the Lakers or clippers in the 1st round and that's an early exit imo because those two teams are our worst matchups

That's why I think it hurts when you blow so many games at home or games when you blow big leads throughout the season.

They come back to bite you in the end....

But hey that's just my opinion

Last edited by Dallas41; 02-07-2020 at 11:01 AM.
Old 02-07-2020, 12:37 PM   #104
turin
Diamond Member

turin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant futureturin has a brilliant future

Quote:
Injuries are apart of the game and OKC got off to a rough start to begin the season.

But they played Dallas head to head and CP3 killed us late in that game

I mean we can debate it but I'm not sure it's a foregone conclusion that if both teams are fully healthy the mavs are the overall better team.

Let's not forget that organization really was looking at this season as a total rebuild and looking to trade just about everyone.

When they lineup this unit below they are a tough matchup for our mavs which is why I say it's not a guarantee the mavs are better even if both teams are fully healthy

Plus you could make an argument they close out games better us

Paul
Shroeder
SGA
Gallo
Adams

I'm not that confident even when luka comes back that we can separate from them in the standings which is bad news if we don't because then were are looking at the Lakers or clippers in the 1st round and that's an early exit imo because those two eams are our worst matchups

That's why I think it hurts when you blow so many games at home or games when you blow big leads throughout the season.

They come back to bite you in the end....

But hey that's just my opinion
I actually wouldn't mind if the Mavs get matched up to the Clippers or Lakers in the playoffs in the first round. Let's find out exactly how well this team matches up playing the way they are played, i.e. smaller ball vs bigger in the middle in a 7 game PLAYOFF series. The sooner and harder reality hits, the more likely there will be changes if proven necessary (I hope), and if I'm wrong about the need to play bigger in the middle, then I'll be happy to have been proven wrong if it means Mavs success.

Last edited by turin; 02-07-2020 at 12:38 PM.
turin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 05:02 PM   #105
Dallas41

If I had a choice it would be to play the Lakers because then we are kind of forced to play WCS or Boban

On the surface I think the mavs matchup better with Lakers

The clippers are just too physical and too long for us on the perimeter

By adding Morris they now have 3 legit wings defensively to throw at luka and we really have no defenders to guard Leonard, George and Morris

DFS will struggle with any of those 3 and unfortunately Luka and THJ aren't good options either vs their wings

Clippers are just bad matchup period