Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

View Poll Results: What will the result of the game be?
Mavs win by 20+ 1 20.00%
Mavs win by 10-19 2 40.00%
Mavs win by 1-9 2 40.00%
Mavs lose by 1-9 0 0%
Mavs lose by 10-19 0 0%
Mavs lose by 20+ 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2020, 09:48 AM   #1
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default GDT: game 53 - Mavs (31-21) at Hors (16-35) 6:00 FSSW

Mavs with the 2NB2B

Injury report
Luka - ankle - out
Powell - Achilles - out
Reaves- wrist - out

Martin - concussion - out
Old 02-08-2020, 10:06 AM   #2
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

RC gives Boban all the minutes, Mavs win by so much that the NBA crowns them as champions tonight.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:30 AM   #3
Dallas41

Dallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
RC gives Boban all the minutes, Mavs win by so much that the NBA crowns them as champions tonight.
Lol

I'm going to try and find some humor in this post

And I respect your opinion that the sky isn't falling and things could be worse

But honestly don't you think if this team was committed to playing bigger lineups they would be in a better position to win games?

I find it baffling that WCS or even Boban to a certain extent couldn't help out if given more consistent minutes as opposed to regularly settling for these smaller lineups that just compound the defensive issues we already have?

Last edited by Dallas41; 02-08-2020 at 10:31 AM.
Dallas41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 10:36 AM   #4
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly I don't see the appeal of Boban when our defense is so bad. He's our worst defensive player by far. He's a scoring sparkplug for when we can't score, but he's a defensive sieve.

What I wonder about is why WCS hasn't played more. With him on the floor, we allow only 103.8 points per 100. With him off, we allow 112.5. He's a huge defensive presence on a team whose biggest problem is getting stops and setting a defensive tone.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 02-08-2020 at 10:39 AM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 11:05 AM   #5
Dallas41

Dallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of lightDallas41 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky View Post
Honestly I don't see the appeal of Boban when our defense is so bad. He's our worst defensive player by far. He's a scoring sparkplug for when we can't score, but he's a defensive sieve.

What I wonder about is why WCS hasn't played more. With him on the floor, we allow only 103.8 points per 100. With him off, we allow 112.5. He's a huge defensive presence on a team whose biggest problem is getting stops and setting a defensive tone.
Exactly

Why not start off games with a defensive mindset and active big who can play vs big or small lineups?

Instead we start off games with some weird random lineups that make us go small and hurts the defense even more

One game your starting JJB and Broehkoff vs Houston. Seriously, why matchup with Houston and then you decide to do it with two guys who have been in your bench all year

Next you give a random start to C.Lee and yes he played well but I'm trying to understand the logic in these lineups. I realize luka is out but come on man what other teams around the league are going to give starts to Lee, RB, Jackson or even JJB at this point of his career

It's like they downside the lineups just for the hell of it

How about experimenting with a WCS and KP frontcourt to start off games and Kleber/Boban backup pairing for a game or two to see how the combinations work

They spend more time experimenting on lineups that make no sense as opposed to lineups that at least make some sense and ones you're more likely to see in a playoff game

There's a greater chance of seeing WCS playing alongside KP or Kleber in a playoff game then there is JJB and Broekhoff pairing together

Not only that but when you do these types of things your now asking THJ to slide over to SF in order to play Lee at SG for random start that hopefully we'll never see again

But then again who knows I'm sure we got plenty of time to get Cleveland starting at SG next to Justin Jackson in one of these matchups coming up
Old 02-08-2020, 12:04 PM   #6
LukaMagic

LukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to all

Quote:

Fully agree about Boban. That's the logic. I will just say that if I were RC I wouldn't put him on with only 0.2 s left. I mean, have a little respect for the guy. He's been sitting out how many games now? And you bring him only for the last 0.2s.

On WCS, he is not playing more because he is new and doesn't yet know the offensive system. And he also doesn't shoot 3s and therefore doesn't stretch the floor which is huge in RC's mind. But WCS has been showing great agility and movement, and a variety when it comes to finishing - I think greater potential than DP. If he can just start knocking down corner 3s then (in time) he could be a perfect RC player (size, reach, mobility=switchable, aaand can stretch the floor on offense).
LukaMagic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 01:36 PM   #7
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukaMagic View Post
Fully agree about Boban. That's the logic. I will just say that if I were RC I wouldn't put him on with only 0.2 s left. I mean, have a little respect for the guy. He's been sitting out how many games now? And you bring him only for the last 0.2s.

On WCS, he is not playing more because he is new and doesn't yet know the offensive system. And he also doesn't shoot 3s and therefore doesn't stretch the floor which is huge in RC's mind. But WCS has been showing great agility and movement, and a variety when it comes to finishing - I think greater potential than DP. If he can just start knocking down corner 3s then (in time) he could be a perfect RC player (size, reach, mobility=switchable, aaand can stretch the floor on offense).
Umm, I wouldnít hold my breath for those corner threes ó WCS has a mere 18 attempts beyond the arc in his NBA career, only knocking down 4 of them. And a lot of those attempts were late clock bailouts. Itís just not his game and he doesnít have any illusions about that.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:40 PM   #8
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

KP out tonight.
Old 02-08-2020, 02:13 PM   #9
Dallas41

Quote:

Dude seriously

WCS has never shot 3's it"s not his game

But that shouldn't be a reason not to play him. This is what kills me about the mind set of todays NBA

You can still win games with a big that can rebound and defend especially if your team sucks at perimeter defense. You need rim protectors

Dude played 9 minutes in the 3qtr his only game action and the wizards had just one offensive rebound the entire time he was out there. He scored inside on simple screen and roll plays between him and curry and he rebounded very well.

Had a terrific steal out on the perimeter because he's so agile for a big and made a great pass to Jackson on a fastbreak

This isn't about him being new to the team and not shooting 3's

This is about our desire to play small ball over using lineups that feature size

It's flat out inexcusable to have this guy only play vs the trash wizzards who allow the most 2nd chance points in the nba only because KP got into foul trouble

He would have had a DNP that game and I'm not sure how a few fans can continue to back these types of decisions or lineups even when a guy produces

OKC will play N.Noel off the bench every night behind Adam's regardless of matchups. The Lakers will play Howard and McGee every night regardless of matchups and none of those 4 guys can shoot 3's

D.Powell is not a good 3 point shooter, rebounder or rim protector yet he consistently played minutes

WCS is a much better rebounder and rim protector than Powell. He has no trouble defending out in space and he can switch on the perimeter yet the guy can't play with KP to start games and he can't get any consistent minutes on a team that ranks like 18th overall in defensive efficiency and some people want to justify this and label his lack of 3 point shooting could be the reason.

This dude started before he got to Dallas. The warriors were going to start him this year at center next to Draymond who can't shoot a lick from outside

Dude can absolutely play in our offense that features pick n rolls designed for a rim runner like him.

But guess what this is very similar to what we saw out of J.McGee when he was here in Dallas. You know a guy who can help your team and should be apart of the rotation every night but you prefer to stay small so that guy gets inconsistent minutes while your defense sucks every night because you lack perimeter defenders to

I'm not even going to get into the boban thing because we can clearly see now this isn't about matchups it's about how we choose to play (small) regardless of matchups that is why you see Broekhoff or Lee get starts before WCS in games your team desperately needs to win in order to avoid facing the damn clippers or Lakers in the 1st round
Old 02-08-2020, 02:20 PM   #10
Dallas41

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
KP out tonight.
If I see a starting lineup of

Kleber
DFS
Hardaway
Lee
Brunson

I'm going to explode....

Can't take this team serious when you run out THJ at SF and wonder why you can't defensive rebound
Old 02-08-2020, 02:26 PM   #11
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

Quote:
Umm, I wouldnít hold my breath for those corner threes ó WCS has a mere 18 attempts beyond the arc in his NBA career, only knocking down 4 of them. And a lot of those attempts were late clock bailouts. Itís just not his game and he doesnít have any illusions about that.
Even midrange he's shooting an eFG% of 16.7%. He is a guy without a jumper at all. It's sometimes possible to extend a guy's range to 20-22ft, but WCS is a guy with zero jumper at all.
Old 02-08-2020, 03:33 PM   #12
tgfan
Golden Member

tgfan is a glorious beacon of lighttgfan is a glorious beacon of lighttgfan is a glorious beacon of lighttgfan is a glorious beacon of lighttgfan is a glorious beacon of lighttgfan is a glorious beacon of lighttgfan is a glorious beacon of lighttgfan is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
Dude seriously

WCS has never shot 3's it"s not his game

But that shouldn't be a reason not to play him. This is what kills me about the mind set of todays NBA

You can still win games with a big that can rebound and defend especially if your team sucks at perimeter defense. You need rim protectors

Dude played 9 minutes in the 3qtr his only game action and the wizards had just one offensive rebound the entire time he was out there. He scored inside on simple screen and roll plays between him and curry and he rebounded very well.

Had a terrific steal out on the perimeter because he's so agile for a big and made a great pass to Jackson on a fastbreak

This isn't about him being new to the team and not shooting 3's

This is about our desire to play small ball over using lineups that feature size

It's flat out inexcusable to have this guy only play vs the trash wizzards who allow the most 2nd chance points in the nba only because KP got into foul trouble

He would have had a DNP that game and I'm not sure how a few fans can continue to back these types of decisions or lineups even when a guy produces

OKC will play N.Noel off the bench every night behind Adam's regardless of matchups. The Lakers will play Howard and McGee every night regardless of matchups and none of those 4 guys can shoot 3's

D.Powell is not a good 3 point shooter, rebounder or rim protector yet he consistently played minutes

WCS is a much better rebounder and rim protector than Powell. He has no trouble defending out in space and he can switch on the perimeter yet the guy can't play with KP to start games and he can't get any consistent minutes on a team that ranks like 18th overall in defensive efficiency and some people want to justify this and label his lack of 3 point shooting could be the reason.

This dude started before he got to Dallas. The warriors were going to start him this year at center next to Draymond who can't shoot a lick from outside

Dude can absolutely play in our offense that features pick n rolls designed for a rim runner like him.

But guess what this is very similar to what we saw out of J.McGee when he was here in Dallas. You know a guy who can help your team and should be apart of the rotation every night but you prefer to stay small so that guy gets inconsistent minutes while your defense sucks every night because you lack perimeter defenders to

I'm not even going to get into the boban thing because we can clearly see now this isn't about matchups it's about how we choose to play (small) regardless of matchups that is why you see Broekhoff or Lee get starts before WCS in games your team desperately needs to win in order to avoid facing the damn clippers or Lakers in the 1st round
Preach it, brother! Couldn't add to your reputation because of the participation trophy system here, but I agree with everything you said.

Last edited by tgfan; 02-08-2020 at 03:35 PM.
tgfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 03:41 PM   #13
tgfan
Golden Member

tgfan is a glorious beacon of lighttgfan is a glorious beacon of lighttgfan is a glorious beacon of lighttgfan is a glorious beacon of lighttgfan is a glorious beacon of lighttgfan is a glorious beacon of lighttgfan is a glorious beacon of lighttgfan is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Even midrange he's shooting an eFG% of 16.7%. He is a guy without a jumper at all. It's sometimes possible to extend a guy's range to 20-22ft, but WCS is a guy with zero jumper at all.
How much shooting practice does he actually take? I could have him shooting much better in a couple weeks. But a player does have to get a decent amount of game minutes to keep their shot dialed in, so even that gets back to how many minutes Rick would give him.
Old 02-08-2020, 05:55 PM   #14
BPo001
Diamond Member

BPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant futureBPo001 has a brilliant future

Rod Boone: #Hornets say Nic Batum (illness) is out tonight.
BPo001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:40 PM   #15
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
I'm more comfortable seeing WCS beyond the arc than Powell....WCS won't shoot
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:44 PM   #16
rimrocker
Diamond Member

rimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant futurerimrocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas41 View Post
If I see a starting lineup of

Kleber
DFS
Hardaway
Lee
Brunson

I'm going to explode....

Can't take this team serious when you run out THJ at SF and wonder why you can't defensive rebound
With our two best rebounders out of the lineup what do you expect?
rimrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:10 PM   #17
Melonhead
Diamond Member

Melonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond reputeMelonhead has a reputation beyond repute

Not really expecting much tonight and donít care. Itís Saturday 4pm and 65 degrees and Iím just relaxing. Would love to see heavy WCS minutes.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:12 PM   #18
Dallas41

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
With our two best rebounders out of the lineup what do you expect?
For them to play the lineup you see that's what I was expecting regardless of injuries to stay big
Old 02-08-2020, 07:21 PM   #19
LukaMagic

LukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to allLukaMagic is a name known to all

WCS again plays well. Has great hands and can score in multiple ways. Has a soft touch. Also, appears to have a good head on his shoulders. Doesn't rush or drive headlong. Appears not one-dimensional. Great stuff.

Last edited by LukaMagic; 02-08-2020 at 07:31 PM.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:21 PM   #20
Dallas41

This is why you play big because it stops all the layup drills and it cuts down on 2nd chance points allowed

Kleber and WCS gives them length and you see the paint becomes more contested

Much better defensive start simply by having more length on the floor to start
Old 02-08-2020, 07:21 PM   #21
LukaMagic

Also puts hand in the right place - did you see that little defensive rebound?
Old 02-08-2020, 07:23 PM   #22
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

Defense is killing it.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:23 PM   #23
Underdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhead View Post
Not really expecting much tonight and donít care. Itís Saturday 4pm and 65 degrees and Iím just relaxing. Would love to see heavy WCS minutes.
Ask and ye shall receive.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:25 PM   #24
LukaMagic

But at times you can still see WCS not sure where to go, what to do on offense. He is not yet full part of the system for sure.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:26 PM   #25
Underdog

Quote:
DWC again plays well. Has great hands and can score in multiple ways. Has a soft touch. Also, appears to have a good head on his shoulders. Doesn't rush or drive headlong. Appears not one-dimensional. Great stuff.
DWC? Who? I'm assuming that's a typo? Did you mean WCS?

Last edited by Underdog; 02-08-2020 at 07:27 PM.
Underdog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:29 PM   #26
Dallas41

Thank you play all the bigs we have
Old 02-08-2020, 07:30 PM   #27
LukaMagic

Talking

Quote:
DWC? Who? I'm assuming that's a typo? Did you mean WCS?
Yes. I most def mean WCS.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:31 PM   #28
EricaLubarsky
Resident misanthrope

Defense Caulie-Stein
Old 02-08-2020, 07:31 PM   #29
Underdog

Holy crap, Seth nailed that three from way deep.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:32 PM   #30
LukaMagic

Seth Curry seems a classic hot hand shooter.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:33 PM   #31
Underdog

Quote:
Yes. I most def mean WCS.
Lol, I was looking up and down the Hornets roster trying to figure out who you were talking about. Big Willie Style looking good so far.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:33 PM   #32
LukaMagic

Quote:
Defense Caulie-Stein
Old 02-08-2020, 07:33 PM   #33
Dallas41

Fuch small ball

Only two offensive rebounds allowed......helped us to hold them to 10 stinking points

Small ball would have allowed them to have a layup drill right out of the gates

Last edited by Dallas41; 02-08-2020 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:34 PM   #34
LukaMagic

Quote:
Lol, I was looking up and down the Hornets roster trying to figure out who you were talking about. Big Willie Style looking good so far.
lol man
Old 02-08-2020, 07:35 PM   #35
LukaMagic

Seth, save some of those for the clutch time.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:35 PM   #36
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimrocker View Post
I'm more comfortable seeing WCS beyond the arc than Powell....WCS won't shoot
lol, you ain't wrong tbh

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:36 PM   #37
Underdog

Did we get the other Curry tonight? Seth is friggin unstoppable right now.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:37 PM   #38
tgfan
Golden Member

Hornets starting to hit shots.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:38 PM   #39
LukaMagic

Boban is playing now but because he is doesn't play much he doens't quite fit naturally into the offense. You can see it with that DW lob to him which was way off and happened becase DW hardly ever played with Boban on the floor. That's one problem with sitting a guy out for many many consequtive games. Not a big problem now, but if you want to use him in the playoffs this problem will be even bigger because of the added pressure.

Last edited by LukaMagic; 02-08-2020 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:38 PM   #40
Skywalker
Diamond Member

Skywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond reputeSkywalker has a reputation beyond repute

20+ pt lead blown incoming

(joking....sort of)

Quote:
Dirk Nowitzki is a monster of epic and unattainable proportion. Seriously, he must be stopped.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote