Dallas-Mavs.com Forums
Old 02-22-2018, 01:47 PM   #121
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 17,075
DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Yep, the Mavs are a symptom of a larger problem will be made an example of.

If you've ever met a woman who hasn't been harassed in some way shape or form by a man, then you've never met one. It's a huge societal problem that is on a fast course to being corrected.

And lemme tell you, every NBA franchise likely has something like this going on right now as we talk about it. If the Mavs have to be the scapegoat for league-wise changes, then so be it.
__________________
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2018, 01:57 PM   #122
Underdog
Moderator
 
Underdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 41.21.1
Posts: 35,245
Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
So bottom line..if that's your tipping point.. you're going to have to give up just about all forms of entertainment provided by other human beings. You can't watch sports..can't watch movies or TV.. you know it occurs at publishing companies so can't read books or magazines.. ..can't read newspapers... You're going to lead a very isolated life.
And it doesn't stop at harassment either... The clothes you wear are made in sweatshops overseas, the produce you eat was picked by immigrants who are being paid unlivable wages and hunted by our government, the car you drive and chemicals you use around the household are destroying the local air and water quality, the taxes you pay are being used to destabilize governments and murder civilians all over the globe... There's no end to what you can be outraged by in this world, and it's basically impossible to disconnect from it all and live a "guilt-free" life.

This is why compartmentalization is important -- if you can't separate the Mark Cubans from the Dirk Nowitzkis, then everything starts to look like shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW View Post
Uh... so you guys are suggesting everyone forever support/accept beating women and sexually harassing coworkers, all in the name of consistency? That's a terrible idea. No thanks.

How about instead of striving for consistency, let's strive for decency?
Nobody is supporting it -- obviously it's a problem that needs to go away... But it's also a problem that's so pervasive that if you boycotted every industry or company where it can be found, then you're going to have to boycott literally all of them.
__________________

Last edited by Underdog; 02-22-2018 at 02:01 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 01:58 PM   #123
tap2390
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Enemy territory (SA)
Posts: 1,762
tap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant future
Default

Cuban will not be forced to sell the team (as of now, let's see what he knew) because a) he was not alleged to have been a perpetrator, and b) women are much less important to the NBA than African-Americans are.

It's a disappointing day to be a Mavs fan for sure. For the first time since 2011, I feel like many of us were confident in the Mavs plans and future, and now it's all up in the air again. As of now, I hope Cuban stays, and I hope we make strides to correct the issues.
__________________
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:26 PM   #124
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 591
Magnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Mark Cuban was a beneficiary of having Dirk, Nash and Fin coming into their own. I'm not saying he hasn't contributed, but with someone as great as Dirk..it's actually quite a shame that the front office and Cuban didn't do a better job of putting great players around him.
I mean, he took the organization from a team with subpar facilities, a dump of an arena, talk about Noel eating hot dogs... players post game meals were left overs from the concession stands, and he gave the player state of the art everything.

NOBODY came to the Mavericks before Cuban. Nobody. Period. We got the Mike Iuzzolinos of the world, players who would relent & sign with the Mavericks only because it was an NBA team & probably would of preferred to play overseas, if not for that sole reason. Anyone we did have that was any good like Jason Kidd, Jamal Mashburn, Jim Jackson, etc. they wanted out of here.

Cuban at least was able to get good role players here. Jerry Stackhouse, Nick Van Exel, etc. And let's also remember that Dirk didn't have such a shining reputation around the league until after the 2010-2011 season. Until then other players would of said "that dude is soft. I don't want to play with him. He chokes in the playoffs". And that's fair because a lot of Mavs' fans felt that way at the time, including me.

Cuban screwed up and let Nash go, but that's the exception for him. The Carter years were full of one mistake after another.

Let's be honest here. You think the next owner of the Mavs will be better or worse than Mark Cuban?
Magnum_3_Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:32 PM   #125
Luke
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 127
Luke is a jewel in the roughLuke is a jewel in the roughLuke is a jewel in the roughLuke is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW View Post
Uh... so you guys are suggesting everyone forever support/accept beating women and sexually harassing coworkers, all in the name of consistency? That's a terrible idea. No thanks.

How about instead of striving for consistency, let's strive for decency?
Wow..talk about putting words in someone's mouth. No, I expect the Mavs to deal with this professionally. I expect them to apologize. I expect them to put more safe guards in place. I expect them to learn from this. I expect them to move on as well.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:39 PM   #126
Luke
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 127
Luke is a jewel in the roughLuke is a jewel in the roughLuke is a jewel in the roughLuke is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum_3_Ball View Post
I mean, he took the organization from a team with subpar facilities, a dump of an arena, talk about Noel eating hot dogs... players post game meals were left overs from the concession stands, and he gave the player state of the art everything.

NOBODY came to the Mavericks before Cuban. Nobody. Period. We got the Mike Iuzzolinos of the world, players who would relent & sign with the Mavericks only because it was an NBA team & probably would of preferred to play overseas, if not for that sole reason. Anyone we did have that was any good like Jason Kidd, Jamal Mashburn, Jim Jackson, etc. they wanted out of here.

Cuban at least was able to get good role players here. Jerry Stackhouse, Nick Van Exel, etc. And let's also remember that Dirk didn't have such a shining reputation around the league until after the 2010-2011 season. Until then other players would of said "that dude is soft. I don't want to play with him. He chokes in the playoffs". And that's fair because a lot of Mavs' fans felt that way at the time, including me.

Cuban screwed up and let Nash go, but that's the exception for him. The Carter years were full of one mistake after another.

Let's be honest here. You think the next owner of the Mavs will be better or worse than Mark Cuban?
Honestly? If they had Dirk, Nash, and Finley and just about any other owner..? I would have expected nothing less than 1 championship over the past two decades. I think many front offices could have turned it into more. I've never been a Cuban fan.

As for the AAC..you do realize that construction started well before Cuban bought the team don't you?
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 02:46 PM   #127
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 591
Magnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Honestly? If they had Dirk, Nash, and Finley and just about any other owner..? I would have expected nothing less than 1 championship over the past two decades. I think many front offices could have turned it into more. I've never been a Cuban fan.

As for the AAC..you do realize that construction started well before Cuban bought the team don't you?
Yes, Perot Jr did that because his real estate company owned a lot of property around the AAC & he did that for financial gain; not for the benefit of the Mavericks.

I guess you can feel the way you want about Cuban, but if Don Carter had owned this team the whole time, I wouldn't of expected us to sniff a championship. Dirk wouldn't of stayed his whole career as a Maverick, either.
Magnum_3_Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:33 PM   #128
DirkFTW
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,249
DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
Wow..talk about putting words in someone's mouth. No, I expect the Mavs to deal with this professionally. I expect them to apologize. I expect them to put more safe guards in place. I expect them to learn from this. I expect them to move on as well.
What are you planning to do if they don't deal with this professionally (or even at all)? What happens if your expectations are massively disappointed? At that point, is it still okay to just say "oh well, I guess we gave it the old hashtag try. I can't very well boycott books and movies so better go get my season tickets and memorabilia"?

We all expect the Mavericks to be professional. But some of us expected them to be professional before a public humiliation and are already disappointed.
__________________


Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:45 PM   #129
tap2390
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Enemy territory (SA)
Posts: 1,762
tap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant future
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW View Post
What are you planning to do if they don't deal with this professionally (or even at all)? What happens if your expectations are massively disappointed? At that point, is it still okay to just say "oh well, I guess we gave it the old hashtag try. I can't very well boycott books and movies so better go get my season tickets and memorabilia"?

We all expect the Mavericks to be professional. But some of us expected them to be professional before a public humiliation and are already disappointed.

My response to this is support the players not the organization. Dirk doesn't deserve to spend his last season isolated by media and fans because of the actions of the organization. By all accounts the locker room was actually a place of refuge for female employees who were always treated well by the players (thanks at least in part due to the professional tone that's been set by Dirk for decades). Support Dirk his last season and then be done with the Mavs if that's your wish.
__________________
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:49 PM   #130
Luke
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 127
Luke is a jewel in the roughLuke is a jewel in the roughLuke is a jewel in the roughLuke is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW View Post
What are you planning to do if they don't deal with this professionally (or even at all)? What happens if your expectations are massively disappointed? At that point, is it still okay to just say "oh well, I guess we gave it the old hashtag try. I can't very well boycott books and movies so better go get my season tickets and memorabilia"?

We all expect the Mavericks to be professional. But some of us expected them to be professional before a public humiliation and are already disappointed.
You can do what you like. In the end, I think Cuban is trash anyways..so it's not going to change my opinion of him. I will feel sorry for Dirk and the players, but it won't impact my love of the team or the coaching staff.

And yes, we all expect people to behave professionally. But being someone that has been in upper management for the past 15 years, you understand that things happen. You see people that you trusted do things that you never thought capable. You find out that things occurred directly under your nose at work with people that you thought you knew and you have no idea whatsoever that it's going on. It happens. People do things and hide it. Is it an embarrassment? Yes, a very brief one. People will move on quickly. Am I disappointed in the Mavs organization? I don't really think about the HR manager or Ussery when I think about the Mavs organization. There's a very clear divider for me between players and coaches and most of the people involved with this besides Cuban. As for him. He's always been a tool. Nothing has changed..more people see it now.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:52 PM   #131
Luke
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 127
Luke is a jewel in the roughLuke is a jewel in the roughLuke is a jewel in the roughLuke is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tap2390 View Post
My response to this is support the players not the organization. Dirk doesn't deserve to spend his last season isolated by media and fans because of the actions of the organization. By all accounts the locker room was actually a place of refuge for female employees who were always treated well by the players (thanks at least in part due to the professional tone that's been set by Dirk for decades). Support Dirk his last season and then be done with the Mavs if that's your wish.
You know something that we don't know about Dirk retiring at the end of the season?
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:06 PM   #132
FreshJive
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 3,283
FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum_3_Ball View Post
I mean, he took the organization from a team with subpar facilities, a dump of an arena, talk about Noel eating hot dogs... players post game meals were left overs from the concession stands, and he gave the player state of the art everything.

NOBODY came to the Mavericks before Cuban. Nobody. Period. We got the Mike Iuzzolinos of the world, players who would relent & sign with the Mavericks only because it was an NBA team & probably would of preferred to play overseas, if not for that sole reason. Anyone we did have that was any good like Jason Kidd, Jamal Mashburn, Jim Jackson, etc. they wanted out of here.

Cuban at least was able to get good role players here. Jerry Stackhouse, Nick Van Exel, etc. And let's also remember that Dirk didn't have such a shining reputation around the league until after the 2010-2011 season. Until then other players would of said "that dude is soft. I don't want to play with him. He chokes in the playoffs". And that's fair because a lot of Mavs' fans felt that way at the time, including me.

Cuban screwed up and let Nash go, but that's the exception for him. The Carter years were full of one mistake after another.

Let's be honest here. You think the next owner of the Mavs will be better or worse than Mark Cuban?
It's not fair, because it wasn’t true. Are you sure you were a Mavs fan? It’s no wonder you have the terrible “Cuban is Jesus” take. You thought Dirk was a soft choker after watching him play for 10 years.
__________________
I thought you said he didn't have anywhere to go
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 04:20 PM   #133
Melonhead
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Las Vegas
Posts: 6,503
Melonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant futureMelonhead has a brilliant future
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
You know something that we don't know about Dirk retiring at the end of the season?
I think his chances of retiring increased greatly after Cuban's comments about tanking and the fallout from the harassment.
__________________

Last edited by Melonhead; 02-22-2018 at 04:21 PM.
Melonhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:19 PM   #134
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 17,075
DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Nobody who actually knows anything about NBA basketball thought Dirk choked in the playoffs before 2011. Holy cow.
__________________
DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:23 PM   #135
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 591
Magnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshJive View Post
It's not fair, because it wasn’t true. Are you sure you were a Mavs fan? It’s no wonder you have the terrible “Cuban is Jesus” take. You thought Dirk was a soft choker after watching him play for 10 years.
First off, I'm really surprised more people don't appreciate Mark Cuban. His hot sports opinions in the political arena & his over-the-top personality; I understand someone not liking those things. But as far as how he's managed the Mavericks. Wow. Just wow.

Do you remember when Dirk was basically punked by Tim Thomas in the playoffs? Tim Thomas literally got right in Dirk's face and disrespected his manhood. Now, Dirk went on to light it up & post 50 that game, which was a thing of beauty. But he didn't push Thomas back. He just took it.

Same thing happened in the Warriors series in '07. Like it may not be fair, but if you ask any brother before 2011 what their opinion of Dirk was, it would be "soft as baby shit". That's no lie.

Guys didn't want to play with him back then & for that reason. It's taken time for Dirk to get the respect he's deserved, and also I think it took him some time to use to the culture of the NBA because now we hear stories of Dirk talking smack every now & then (from back in the day).

Also, don't call me not a MFFL. I just wanted to see Dirk do more of what Stackhouse did when knocked Shaq on his ass in the '06 Finals. We're talking about a difference in styles here. Not to mention, the Mavs had plenty of first round exits from the playoffs in the mid-late 2000s. That's not fair to pin solely on Dirk, but it doesn't help attract FAs either.
Magnum_3_Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:25 PM   #136
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 591
Magnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinHarriswillstart View Post
Nobody who actually knows anything about NBA basketball thought Dirk choked in the playoffs before 2011. Holy cow.
What was 2007?

What was giving up a 2 game lead in the 06 Finals?

What was getting first round bounced vs New Orleans? vs Denver?

Hell, a lot of people didn't even have the Mavericks beating Portland in the first round the year they won the championship.

Everybody thought Dirk was a G. Lol yeah right.


Edit: And I heard it said countless times before 2011. You can't ever win a championship if Dirk is the best player on your team. He's too soft. It was said repeatedly, like it was on a loop or a broken record. Dirk would tell you he heard that b.s.

Last edited by Magnum_3_Ball; 02-22-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Magnum_3_Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:29 PM   #137
Underdog
Moderator
 
Underdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 41.21.1
Posts: 35,245
Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum_3_Ball View Post
Do you remember when Dirk was basically punked by Tim Thomas in the playoffs? Tim Thomas literally got right in Dirk's face and disrespected his manhood. Now, Dirk went on to light it up & post 50 that game, which was a thing of beauty. But he didn't push Thomas back. He just took it.
You have an odd definition of "just took it," as if getting tossed from the game is a better means of justice than humiliating your opponents in the box score... Dirk didn't take it, he gave it. Hard and without mercy.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum_3_Ball View Post
Guys didn't want to play with him back then & for that reason.
You say that as if free agents were turning down an opportunity to play with Prime Dirk, but the Mavs never had any cap space to sign free agents when Dirk was in his prime... He didn't start getting snubbed by UFAs until after he won a championship. And that was because players saw him as old, not soft.

Hell, I don't know if any players saw him as soft -- it was mostly just NBA fans and talking heads because most of them know dick about winning basketball. They're the type of people who think thugging it up when you're disrespected is better than dropping 50 on those who disrespected you.
__________________

Last edited by Underdog; 02-22-2018 at 07:35 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:58 PM   #138
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 591
Magnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura about
Default

Didn't have cap space?

You say that a lot, but how many times have we seen teams that didn't have cap space magically figure it out??? The Warriors weren't suppose to be able to sign Durant & keep Iguodala, but they found a way somehow. Yet, the Mavs could never figure out a way to get a coveted FA to come in here & play with Dirk??? Things that make you go hmmmmmm...

And, I'm not saying Dirk did anything stupid. I mean, yeah I would scream at the TV & be like "knock him on his ass Dirk!!!" because there's a certain type of basketball player who only respects that & it's not Pete Carril & his Princeton backdoor offense. It's the brothers. How many conversations about the Mavs did you have at Black barbershops back in the day? If the answer is none, then don't tell me what his reputation was back then.

And who were the FAs the Mavs would be coveting? Peja Stojakovic? Mike Dunleavy? Mike Miller? Were any of those guys going to put us over the top? No, they weren't.

So just because some White old dude sitting on his couch at home doesn't think Dirk was soft, doesn't mean the Black players of the NBA of the day felt the same way. Why else did Wade & LeBron try to punk him with the fake cough crap back in 2011?

You seriously think I'm making this all up???
Magnum_3_Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 06:03 PM   #139
tap2390
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Enemy territory (SA)
Posts: 1,762
tap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant futuretap2390 has a brilliant future
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
You know something that we don't know about Dirk retiring at the end of the season?
I'm referencing next year to be clear
__________________
tap2390 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:16 PM   #140
Underdog
Moderator
 
Underdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 41.21.1
Posts: 35,245
Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum_3_Ball View Post
Didn't have cap space?

You say that a lot, but how many times have we seen teams that didn't have cap space magically figure it out??? The Warriors weren't suppose to be able to sign Durant & keep Iguodala, but they found a way somehow. Yet, the Mavs could never figure out a way to get a coveted FA to come in here & play with Dirk??? Things that make you go hmmmmmm...
The Mavs had the highest payroll in the league, well into the luxury tax for years -- that's why we had to trade for Kidd, Chandler, Butler/Haywood/Stevenson, etc... There was no way to get far enough under the cap to sign max free agents without completely gutting the team, which we finally did after the championship because everyone on the roster was old... I mean, the cap was only $64m in 2010, unlike the $100m cap the Warriors had to work with last summer.

Also, the Mavs never having the cap space to pursue free agents is a totally different issue than nobody wanting to play with Dirk because he was "soft," but changing the argument is an excellent strategy for winning a debate when you don't have any facts to back up your original point.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum_3_Ball View Post
And, I'm not saying Dirk did anything stupid. I mean, yeah I would scream at the TV & be like "knock him on his ass Dirk!!!" because there's a certain type of basketball player who only respects that & it's not Pete Carril & his Princeton backdoor offense. It's the brothers. How many conversations about the Mavs did you have at Black barbershops back in the day? If the answer is none, then don't tell me what his reputation was back then.

And who were the FAs the Mavs would be coveting? Peja Stojakovic? Mike Dunleavy? Mike Miller? Were any of those guys going to put us over the top? No, they weren't.

So just because some White old dude sitting on his couch at home doesn't think Dirk was soft, doesn't mean the Black players of the NBA of the day felt the same way. Why else did Wade & LeBron try to punk him with the fake cough crap back in 2011?

You seriously think I'm making this all up???
Ahh, the "Dirk is soft because he's white" argument... Not sure how punching Tim Thomas in the teeth was going to make anyone any less racist, but okay.
__________________

Last edited by Underdog; 02-22-2018 at 07:19 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:22 PM   #141
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 591
Magnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura about
Default

Underdog,

How many Black basketball fans did you talk to about Dirk during the decade of the 2000s?

Because you're acting like Dirk didn't have a soft reputation among Black basketball fans.
Magnum_3_Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:31 PM   #142
Underdog
Moderator
 
Underdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 41.21.1
Posts: 35,245
Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum_3_Ball View Post
Underdog,

How many Black basketball fans did you talk to about Dirk during the decade of the 2000s?

Because you're acting like Dirk didn't have a soft reputation among Black basketball fans.
I didn't realize that black basketball fans working in barber shops were NBA free agents who didn't play with Prime Dirk back when the Mavs never had cap space to sign free agents anyway... I also don't think we're having the same conversation anymore.
__________________

Last edited by Underdog; 02-22-2018 at 07:32 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:33 PM   #143
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 591
Magnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I didn't realize that black basketball fans working in barber shops were NBA free agents who didn't play with Prime Dirk back when the Mavs never had cap space to sign free agents anyway... I also don't think we're having the same conversation anymore.
I seriously do not think Black NBA free agents of the 2000s think like you do either.
Magnum_3_Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 07:44 PM   #144
Underdog
Moderator
 
Underdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 41.21.1
Posts: 35,245
Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum_3_Ball View Post
I seriously do not think Black NBA free agents of the 2000s think like you do either.
Kinda crazy how all the black teammates that Dirk played with loved him, but the black free agents who couldn't sign with the Mavericks because there wasn't any cap space to sign FAs anyway had a different opinion about him... Or maybe you're projecting your own opinion onto other people.

You've taken this argument sooooooo far away from the original point. Now it's all about race or something... Weren't we talking about Mark Cuban at one point?
__________________

Last edited by Underdog; 02-22-2018 at 07:46 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:00 PM   #145
Underdog
Moderator
 
Underdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 41.21.1
Posts: 35,245
Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Anyway, back to the scandal...


@wojespn: The NBA is launching a confidential hotline to report workplace issues, including sexual harassment, according to a memo commissioner Adam SIlver sent to the 30 teams minutes ago.

Memo outlines new hotline to register improper conduct by team, league employees
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2...proper-conduct
__________________

Last edited by Underdog; 02-22-2018 at 08:01 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:15 PM   #146
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 591
Magnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Kinda crazy how all the black teammates that Dirk played with loved him, but the black free agents who couldn't sign with the Mavericks because there wasn't any cap space to sign FAs anyway had a different opinion about him... Or maybe you're projecting your own opinion onto other people.

You've taken this argument sooooooo far away from the original point. Now it's all about race or something... Weren't we talking about Mark Cuban at one point?
I don't know what you want me to do. I say Dirk is soft, you say that's crazy. Yet, when you do a Google search for Dirk is soft, there are pages & pages of results (including an article citing Chris Webber calling the Mavericks soft)... but he never had that reputation. Ok, if you say so. Like if anyone disagrees with your version of history, then what?

Yeah there was conversation about Cuban being forced to sell the team, and then someone said Cuban should of put more around Dirk "any other owner would have", and I called B.S. on that. No one wanted to play with Dirk back then. Like it or not.
Magnum_3_Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:21 PM   #147
Underdog
Moderator
 
Underdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 41.21.1
Posts: 35,245
Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum_3_Ball View Post
I don't know what you want me to do. I say Dirk is soft, you say that's crazy. Yet, when you do a Google search for Dirk is soft, there are pages & pages of results (including an article citing Chris Webber calling the Mavericks soft)... but he never had that reputation. Ok, if you say so. Like if anyone disagrees with your version of history, then what?

Yeah there was conversation about Cuban being forced to sell the team, and then someone said Cuban should of put more around Dirk "any other owner would have", and I called B.S. on that. No one wanted to play with Dirk back then. Like it or not.
I never said he didn't have a reputation of being soft -- I said the people who actually know a thing or two about basketball never thought Dirk was soft (because Chris Webber is a fucking moron)... Do you even read past the first sentence of my posts? Of course not, otherwise you wouldn't keep talking about all the free agents who didn't play with Dirk back when the Mavs were so far over the cap that signing free agents was an impossibility. Which I've mentioned in literally every post, but you keep ignoring it.

And once again I'm going to have to quote myself because your reading comprehension sucks a bag of dicks:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
Hell, I don't know if any players saw him as soft -- it was mostly just NBA fans and talking heads because most of them know dick about winning basketball. They're the type of people who think thugging it up when you're disrespected is better than dropping 50 on those who disrespected you.
__________________

Last edited by Underdog; 02-22-2018 at 08:26 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:39 PM   #148
Magnum_3_Ball
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 591
Magnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura aboutMagnum_3_Ball has a spectacular aura about
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog View Post
I never said he didn't have a reputation of being soft -- I said the people who actually know a thing or two about basketball never thought Dirk was soft (because Chris Webber is a fucking moron)
Why would you bring that up? Who cares?

We weren't talking about Dirk's reputation among intelligent basketball fans. The conversation was about why Cuban didn't put better players around Dirk.

There's an article with Devin Harris talking about how Tim Thomas was calling Dirk soft in that game. Chris Webber called Dirk soft. Wade & LeBron made fun of Dirk being fake sick when they knew they were on camera... and yet you think he didn't have a reputation of being soft among players.

You bring up what intelligent fans think of Dirk. Why? Was Cuban suppose to sign fans?
Magnum_3_Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:49 PM   #149
Underdog
Moderator
 
Underdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 41.21.1
Posts: 35,245
Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum_3_Ball View Post
Why would you bring that up? Who cares?

We weren't talking about Dirk's reputation among intelligent basketball fans. The conversation was about why Cuban didn't put better players around Dirk.

There's an article with Devin Harris talking about how Tim Thomas was calling Dirk soft in that game. Chris Webber called Dirk soft. Wade & LeBron made fun of Dirk being fake sick when they knew they were on camera... and yet you think he didn't have a reputation of being soft among players.

You bring up what intelligent fans think of Dirk. Why? Was Cuban suppose to sign fans?
Seriously, guy -- I'm not going to keep repeating myself if you're not going to bother reading what I wrote in the first place.

Yeah, those 4 players represent the entirety of the NBA... And they all thought Dirk was soft until he won a championship because anybody who knows as much as those guys thinks that an NBA player can go from "soft" to "champion" overnight. Your argument makes total sense.

You win.
__________________

Last edited by Underdog; 02-23-2018 at 04:10 AM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:54 PM   #150
DirkFTW
Diamond Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 5,249
DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
You can do what you like. In the end, I think Cuban is trash anyways..so it's not going to change my opinion of him. I will feel sorry for Dirk and the players, but it won't impact my love of the team or the coaching staff.

And yes, we all expect people to behave professionally. But being someone that has been in upper management for the past 15 years, you understand that things happen. You see people that you trusted do things that you never thought capable. You find out that things occurred directly under your nose at work with people that you thought you knew and you have no idea whatsoever that it's going on. It happens. People do things and hide it. Is it an embarrassment? Yes, a very brief one. People will move on quickly.
Am I disappointed in the Mavs organization? I don't really think about the HR manager or Ussery when I think about the Mavs organization. There's a very clear divider for me between players and coaches and most of the people involved with this besides Cuban. As for him. He's always been a tool. Nothing has changed..more people see it now.
Dude, you sound jaded as hell. You do what you want as well, but might I recommend ear plugs? Moving on at your pace is likely to break the sound barrier.
__________________


Is this ghost ball??
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:33 PM   #151
Luke
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 127
Luke is a jewel in the roughLuke is a jewel in the roughLuke is a jewel in the roughLuke is a jewel in the rough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkFTW View Post
Dude, you sound jaded as hell. You do what you want as well, but might I recommend ear plugs? Moving on at your pace is likely to break the sound barrier.
Not sure how you get that from the post..but oh well.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:36 PM   #152
Luke
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Posts: 127
Luke is a jewel in the roughLuke is a jewel in the roughLuke is a jewel in the roughLuke is a jewel in the rough
Default

And no, the Mavs never had cap space during Dirk's prime until he was viewed as a guy that was on the very edge of his prime. It's a silly argument to make that players didn't want to play with Dirk. It's an uninformed and idiotic argument that I hear local radio make from time to time. They make it because they know little about the salary cap and because they are lazy.
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:11 PM   #153
Underdog
Moderator
 
Underdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 41.21.1
Posts: 35,245
Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Official Mavs Scandal Thread

I regret not putting this in its own thread before, but I hadn't read the story yet when I posted it. I'm moving all the pertaining posts from the Random News thread to this one.
__________________
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 03:37 PM   #154
hayth.james.g
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dallas, tx
Posts: 1,035
hayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud of
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke View Post
And no, the Mavs never had cap space during Dirk's prime until he was viewed as a guy that was on the very edge of his prime. It's a silly argument to make that players didn't want to play with Dirk. It's an uninformed and idiotic argument that I hear local radio make from time to time. They make it because they know little about the salary cap and because they are lazy.
I understand that you think that it's a failed argument (I do too), but that's a rather harsh statement.

I think it's fair to say that Dirk has never been in the "cool crowd" of the NBA circles. Not that it means he was thought of as soft, but he was a white dude from Germany where English was not his primary language, no fashion ties, no hip hop ties, and is considered a lead by example type of leader. Some of that impacts your ability to be a recruiting juggernaut.

Last edited by hayth.james.g; 02-23-2018 at 03:41 PM.
hayth.james.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 04:03 PM   #155
Underdog
Moderator
 
Underdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 41.21.1
Posts: 35,245
Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayth.james.g View Post
I understand that you think that it's a failed argument (I do too), but that's a rather harsh statement.

I think it's fair to say that Dirk has never been in the "cool crowd" of the NBA circles. Not that it means he was thought of as soft, but he was a white dude from Germany where English was not his primary language, no fashion ties, no hip hop ties, and is considered a lead by example type of leader.
Now that's something I can actually agree with, and it's certainly a big reason why Dirk wasn't linking up with any of the super teams... I remember someone asking him if he would have been interested in joining LeBron and Wade in Miami right after it happened, since he was also a free agent that summer. He said he would have definitely considered it, but nobody ever asked him -- Bosh was their boy... I think it's pretty safe to say that LeBron/Wade/Dirk would have won at least half a dozen titles, and would probably still be competing for rings to this day.

As I've mentioned in other threads, that's one aspect about Dennis Smith Jr. that I love. He's already buddy-buddy with all kinds of guys in the NBA. The kid slapped some fives with Aaron Gordon at the dunk contest, and suddenly rumors spring up about Dallas being interested in Gordon this summer.

That was easily Dirk's biggest weakness when luring free agents -- he didn't go out of his way to make friends, which would have given players an extra reason for coming to Dallas... Sure, guys like Kobe and Duncan respected the hell out of him and had fun playing with him in All-Star games, but Dirk never put as much work into the off-court aspects of the game as he did the on-court aspects.

Although not having banana boat pictures with other players around the league is a far cry from guys thinking Dirk was "soft."
__________________

Last edited by Underdog; 02-23-2018 at 04:06 PM.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:17 PM   #156
sefant77
Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Brasil
Posts: 14,184
sefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond reputesefant77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Btw the league will never ever take the team from Cuban or take a Firstrounder. The other owners do not want to lower the bar for such actions because everyone knows this crap could happen in their franchise too or allready happened.

Wouldnt be suprised if within the next weeks you hear from at least five teams where women coming forward regarding harrassment etc
sefant77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:19 PM   #157
Underdog
Moderator
 
Underdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 41.21.1
Posts: 35,245
Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
Btw the league will never ever take the team from Cuban or take a Firstrounder. The other owners do not want to lower the bar for such actions because everyone knows this crap could happen in their franchise too or allready happened.

Wouldnt be suprised if within the next weeks you hear from at least five teams where women coming forward regarding harrassment etc
Yeah, folks have been talking about that on Twitter... What happens if Silver strips the Mavs of their picks/ownership, then he finds out that a dozen more teams have the same problem? That would be the end of the NBA.
__________________
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:54 PM   #158
Underdog
Moderator
 
Underdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 41.21.1
Posts: 35,245
Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute
Default

In wake of sexual harassment scandal, Mavs to hire AT&T human resources officer Cynthia Marshall
https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/dal...nthia-marshall

Quote:
It is believed Marshall's title will be interim executive chairwoman, but the key is that she will run all non-basketball operations.
__________________
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 09:55 PM   #159
NeedlesKane
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,778
NeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud ofNeedlesKane has much to be proud of
Default

So this doesn't happen everywhere? Seriously, I think what's shocking is that women speaking out about the topic is actually making the news. I could have sworn this would happen with every type of business. Why would the Mavericks organization be excluded? I haven't had a workplace in which this kinda of stuff didn't occur. In fact, far worse things happen.
__________________
NeedlesKane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 11:37 PM   #160
hayth.james.g
Golden Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dallas, tx
Posts: 1,035
hayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud ofhayth.james.g has much to be proud of
Default

Terrified at the thought of losing our pick...
hayth.james.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.