Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

(#1) Old
Guru
MFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant future

vCash: 25
Default 05-13-2001, 10:39 PM

What team will get the first pick and who will be the first pick in the draft?
Sponsored Links
  (#2) Old
Guru
MFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant future

Default 05-13-2001, 10:44 PM

Here is a cool link with a lot of info on the players in the draft.

http://nbadraft.net/2001prospects.htm
  (#3) Old
Patient # 312412
LonestarROB is a glorious beacon of lightLonestarROB is a glorious beacon of lightLonestarROB is a glorious beacon of lightLonestarROB is a glorious beacon of lightLonestarROB is a glorious beacon of lightLonestarROB is a glorious beacon of lightLonestarROB is a glorious beacon of light

Default 05-13-2001, 10:49 PM

Bulls will get the 1st pick.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
  (#4) Old
Guru
Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 50
Default 05-14-2001, 12:01 AM

who would everyone/anyone like the mavs to pick? another project at the 4-5 spot?
or a 1 or 2 guard?
  (#5) Old
Guru

Default 05-14-2001, 12:05 AM

We've got too damn many projects now. We need another guard like Alexander - lots of athletic ability and the nack for scoring. Of course, all he'll play in his first year here is garbage time. And if he don't play defense, he'll never get on the court.
  (#6) Old
Guru
Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Default 05-14-2001, 12:10 AM

yeah...some of the projects have to pay off next year or the year after.
  (#7) Old
Patient # 312412
LonestarROB is a glorious beacon of lightLonestarROB is a glorious beacon of lightLonestarROB is a glorious beacon of lightLonestarROB is a glorious beacon of lightLonestarROB is a glorious beacon of lightLonestarROB is a glorious beacon of lightLonestarROB is a glorious beacon of light

Default 05-14-2001, 09:12 AM

I read somewhere the other day that the Mavs are projected to take some guy from Greece and Terry Black(of Baylor). I could do with out some tall white guy from Greece but Black would be a nice pick up IMO.

(#8) Old
Guru

Default 05-14-2001, 09:54 AM

black, definitely a guy that could fill it up at times, then other times,...umm no
  (#9) Old
Guru

Default 05-14-2001, 05:23 PM

I don't care who we draft as long as Nellie doesn't describe the player with "well, he has the potential to be an outstanding player". Potential my ass. Get some guys who can play NOW.
  (#10) Old
Diamond Member
TheKid is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500
Default 05-15-2001, 05:39 PM

I agree MFFL. I can't see how we would go with anything other than someone up front.

Ask not what you can do for your country but ask what you can do for THE KID!
  (#11) Old
Banned
madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Default 05-15-2001, 08:09 PM

Don't be foolish. There is no one that will be available in the second round that will be able to help the Mavs NOW. Hell, there is no one in the draft PERIOD that will be able to do that. As for the big greek guy... I'll bring up my faviorite big greek guy in the NBA. Jake Tsakalitis. He would be the perfect low post defensive positional player for the Mavs. Unfortunately the Mavs passed him up THREE TIMES in last years draft. He is tearing it up now with the Suns.
  (#12) Old
giostar is on a distinguished road

Default 05-20-2001, 05:10 PM

Yea... cant forget that we traded our 1st rounder this year to get Courtney Alexander... so no 1st round pick this year. Unless we somehow work out a trade.
  (#13) Old

Default 05-20-2001, 05:14 PM

Although, I'd love to see the mavs try and grab Sasser if he is still there in the 2nd round. get him to cut that fro and he could develop into a good, solid player. Not that the fro has anything to do with his game, but it sure wouldnt hurt anything.
  (#14) Old

Default 05-20-2001, 06:17 PM

Well... it looks like MJ will get the 1st pick in the draft to go along with the pretty good players he stole from us last year. Washington may be pretty good in 2 or 3 years.
  (#15) Old
Patient # 312412

Default 05-20-2001, 10:52 PM

I actually did a Lottery Generator thingy earlier today and the top 4 picks were all right. Weird.

(#16) Old
Golden Member
scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

Default 05-21-2001, 02:15 AM

That is freaky, especially the Bulls not getting a top 3 pick
  (#17) Old
Golden Member

Default 05-21-2001, 02:16 AM

NFFL are you saying that you would have preferred Nellie to draft Mike Dickerson over Dirk Nowitzki, since Dickerson had a better 1st year?
  (#18) Old
Banned
madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Default 05-21-2001, 12:16 PM

HAHAHA!!! what a great lottery. I didn't get to see it, but I wish I could have seen Kraus's fat face when he dropped to fourth. LOL! I hope that bastard winds up picking a high school kid that winds up popping pills and hunting Columbus. Whats even better is that Jordan was able to slip in front of him. Take that Krause! Remember when he said "Players don't win championships, organizations do." Too bad the Bulls have the worst organization in the NBA! HAHAH!!
  (#19) Old
Banned

Default 05-21-2001, 12:18 PM

The mavs won't need to draft sasser, just sign him to a free-agent contract after his ass drops out of the draft completely. I hate to say it, but Sasser should have come out last year, his value has plummeted. I still say the Mavs should go for Kaspar Kambala from UNLV. He is a dirty son of a bitch that can score very well in the low post.
  (#20) Old
Diamond Member
The Crippler has much to be proud ofThe Crippler has much to be proud ofThe Crippler has much to be proud ofThe Crippler has much to be proud ofThe Crippler has much to be proud ofThe Crippler has much to be proud ofThe Crippler has much to be proud ofThe Crippler has much to be proud ofThe Crippler has much to be proud ofThe Crippler has much to be proud ofThe Crippler has much to be proud of

Default 05-21-2001, 01:12 PM

you've never been more wrong ape...

sasser won't fall out of the draft completely. gm's don't let 6'6" pg's free, even if they lack skills in a few areas. (see brian shaw as a reference point)

"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
  (#21) Old
Diamond Member
Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 4500
Default 05-21-2001, 02:06 PM

madape, krause looked so dejected. it was funny as hell!

(#22) Old

Default 05-21-2001, 02:10 PM

It really sucks though... The Mavs have had several times when that's happened to them...
  (#23) Old

Default 05-21-2001, 02:14 PM

And I also think Sasser kept trying to do too much at SMU this year. I beleive that he can be a solid player given a chance to learn. Nellie makes Rookies sit on the bench and learn their first year. But a 6'6" PG on this team would be nice. He could back up Fin and Nash in a a year or two.
  (#24) Old
Golden Member
Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

Default 05-21-2001, 03:04 PM

Michael Jordan, Courtney Alexander, Rip Hamilton, Etan Thomas, and Eddy Curry for a starting lineup...

HEY MAVINATOR SHUT UR CHEESE AND GO GET UR BUT BUCKNERIZED QUEER!!!
  (#25) Old
Banned

Default 05-21-2001, 04:20 PM

I like Sasser, but he is a second rounder at best. He doesn't have the ball handling or passing skills to be a good NBA point guard, and he doesn't shoot the ball particularly well either. He would certainly have gone in the second round last year, but whether he's picked there in this draft is still a question. I haven't seen any mock drafts yet that pick all the way into the second round. ESPN has a first round mock draft, and Sasser didn't make it. Chris Monter has him rated as the fifth best point guard in the draft, so there is still hope. His size does give him a pretty big upside, so a team might want to pick him up in the second and wait to see if he develops.
  (#26) Old
Patient # 312412

Default 05-21-2001, 04:26 PM

"Michael Jordan, Courtney Alexander, Rip Hamilton, Etan Thomas, and Eddy Curry for a starting lineup..."

Where's Barkley?

(#27) Old
Golden Member
Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

Default 05-21-2001, 04:43 PM

I heard Bird and Isiah were also coming back to play for the Wizards...

(#28) Old
Golden Member
Hales233 is on a distinguished road

Default 05-21-2001, 06:15 PM

Good call Rob, Barkley would definitely crack the starting lineup (rather, "break" it).

Sacramento Kings...The 2002 People's Champion.
  (#29) Old
Golden Member

Default 05-21-2001, 06:33 PM

Projected Wizards roster for next year- Michael Jordan, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Charles Barkley, David Robinson as starters. Patrick Ewing, Karl Malone, John Stockton, Scottie Pippen, Chris Mullin, Clyde Drexler, Christian Laettner on the bench. Rip Hamilton, Courtney Alexander, and Eddy Curry on the injured list. All other current roster members cut.

(#30) Old
Guru
MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1300
Default 05-21-2001, 11:56 PM

I agree with MFFL and Madape--don't draft a player that could help us next year or the year after that.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if the Mavs trade both picks away in trades and skip the whole draft altogether. And just worry about bringing players in through trades or a player or 2 with the exception.

(#31) Old

Default 05-22-2001, 06:53 PM

We don't have a first round pick, so if we can get someone like Sasser in the 2nd round that may develop some skills, then I'd take it. No one gives away a good or even a solid player for a 2nd round pick. So trading the 2nd rounder may not be an option. The 2nd round of the NBA draft is a shot in the dark anyway. MAYBE 2 or 3 of them will make it to the pros and be a decent player. This is where you take a chance. Sasser will fall into the 2nd round. If he is there, I'd say grab him, and make him play in Greece or somewhere for a year and develop more. Or maybe he comes in like Najera did last year and shows some heart and hustle and gets a roster spot.
  (#32) Old
Guru

Default 05-22-2001, 09:13 PM

MavsFanFinley - what's wrong with wanting another draft like last year? Every one of the players was NBA ready except Harvey. Alexander was extremely polished offensively, Thomas would have contributed except he got hurt, Najera started a few games and played well. I just don't want another project - we already have two (Harvey and Wang) and that's enough for me.

I did not state that I don't want the Mavs to improve. I just want NBA ready players.
  (#33) Old
Guru
MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Default 05-22-2001, 11:38 PM

Shit, MFFL, I worded my post badly. I meant that I agree that we don't need another player that might contribute in a year or two or possibly three, like Harvey and Wang. We need players that Nelson won't sit on the bench or place them on the IL because there rookies--ready or not.

And that I wouldn't be surprised if the Mavs traded there picks away in a trade that helped bring in a player like Jerome Williams or Anthony Mason--players we know that can contribute now.

(#34) Old
Guru

Default 05-22-2001, 11:55 PM

MavsFanFinley - I'm sorry I misunderstood. I agree. I would be very happy if the Mavs used their picks in trades. I'd rather get a veteran that Nellie WILL play than another draft pick who will ride the pine. Then again, I would love for us to trade up and get a high pick.
  (#35) Old
Guru

Default 05-23-2001, 12:05 AM

I just don't think we have enough to trade with to get a high pick, if that's the route Nelson would want to go in. Im figuring we can't crack the top 10 without giving up Bradley, at least, and without giving up Dirk, Fin or Nash, not for this years draft.

Seattle could be a possiblity at #12. When we were trying to trade with them for Baker, they were wanting what we sent to Washington plus Bradley. What would it take to get that pick though? I know there interested in Gary Trent as well. Trent and Bradley for that pick sounds too much imo.

Toronto at #17 maybe?

What did you have in mind?

(#36) Old
Guru

Default 05-23-2001, 12:27 AM

I'd love us to get to 10 or so and have a shot at Battier. He is a very polished player from a program that gets players used to high pressure games. With so many GM's drafting high schoolers this year, Battier might fall in the draft. I'm really high on him.
  (#37) Old
Golden Member

Default 05-23-2001, 02:15 AM

We'll need higher than 10 to get Battier, but he will be a legit player in the NBA.
  (#38) Old
Guru

Default 05-23-2001, 10:43 AM

I don't see a team in the top 10 that we could do a trade with really. Washington is out. Clippers are a very distant maybe--what veteran do we have that they would take other than Bradley? Atlanta, don't see much either. Chicago--only way I see is if we send them Finley and that isn't going to happen. Vancouver--maybe if we took Reeves contract off there hands but I don't want to think about what we would have to send them. New Jersey, not seeing anything there. Cleveland, nothing. Detroit, again--nothing. Boston--not seeing much there either.

(#39) Old

Default 05-23-2001, 07:15 PM

Who would you want in the top 10... they are all pretty much project players. I've seen battier gowing as low as 15 and 16 in some mock drafts. maybe we give Eisley and Trent to get something around there. Then we can try and get a solid backup guard in free agency?
  (#40) Old
Guru

Default 05-23-2001, 07:51 PM

I started a draft thread over in the Mavs section. I only did it because there are a lot of people who only read that section (myself for the first couple of weeks I was on this forum).