Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

(#1) Old
Patient # 312412
LonestarROB is a glorious beacon of lightLonestarROB is a glorious beacon of lightLonestarROB is a glorious beacon of lightLonestarROB is a glorious beacon of lightLonestarROB is a glorious beacon of lightLonestarROB is a glorious beacon of lightLonestarROB is a glorious beacon of light

vCash: 25
Default 05-27-2001, 02:15 PM

So says Phil Jackson. Look

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
Sponsored Links
  (#2) Old
Guru
MFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant future

Default 05-27-2001, 02:33 PM

Kobe is better than Jordan now. But Kobe is 22 and Jordan is 36(?). Obviously Phil Jackson is giving Kobe some compliments to reward him for going along with the game plan - feature Shaq.
  (#3) Old
Guru
MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1300
Default 05-27-2001, 09:12 PM

LOL, MFFL. So true, so true.

(#4) Old
Golden Member
scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

vCash: 500
Default 05-28-2001, 01:45 AM

When Kobe aveage 32, 8 and 8 for a year then maybe...
  (#5) Old
Guru
MFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant future

Default 05-28-2001, 01:49 AM

scooter - wasn't Jordan the defensive player of the year that same year?
  (#6) Old
giostar is on a distinguished road

Default 05-28-2001, 11:43 AM

Kobe is not Jordan... and as long as he plays with Shaq, everyone will always wonder how good he would be if he didn't play with Shaq. Jordan posted the monster numbers with Luc Longley playing center... LUC LONGLEY!!! He didnt have that inside presense to free him up. He even made Scottie Pippen look good. NO... Kobe is no Jordan. But he is damn good though, and exciting to watch. (Disclaimer: It pains me to say this since I hate the Lakers so much)
  (#7) Old
Guru

Default 05-28-2001, 02:32 PM

Here's a nice article about Jordan's possible comeback. The author thinks Jordan might be embarrassed.

http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs2001/...5/1204707.html
  (#8) Old
Golden Member
scooterj5 is on a distinguished road

Default 05-29-2001, 03:33 AM

I don't know if he won that tooo, but I think it was the year he won the dunk comp against D. Wilkins. It was the one in Chicago that Wilkins clearly should have won!
  (#9) Old
Diamond Member
TheKid is on a distinguished road

Default 05-29-2001, 01:14 PM

This topic is ridiculous, and people kill me. Everyone keep saying, Kobe is only 22. Well Jordan didn't come into the NBA out of high school, but whose to say if he did would he been able to do what Kobe has done. If we want to take AGE into affect we can do that. Jordan came in the league after his junior year in college he was 21 or 22 around the same age Kobe was. So to be unfair to Jordan, I'll take his rookie season compared to Kobe's season this year.

Jordan-
28.2 pts
52 fg
85 ft
.84 blk
6.5 rebounds
5.9 assists
2.39 steals

Kobe-
28.5 pts
46 fg%
85 ft
0.63 blk
5.9 rebounds
5.0 assists
1.68 steals

Now this is compared to Jordan whose center was Dave Corzine, and Kobe who had a center of Shaquille O'Neal. That was Jordan WITHOUT experience and the knowledge of the NBA game and that's what he did at the age of 22! This is what Kobe did AFTER four years of NBA experience too. Now like I said, Kobe is something else, one of the best right now in the game, but no Jordan. Also Murph I forgot to say something before, Shaq said Kobe was the best in the game right now. I remember the year the Bulls beat Utah, the first series. During those playoffs, someone asked about Pippen being the leader of the team after he hit a couple clutch shots to beat Washington that year. Jordan said, "I think he's the best player in the league right now. You guys are the ones who always says he's Robin. You've never heard me say anything like that."

Now you know and I know he didn't mean that. The same way we know Shaq didn't mean he thought Kobe was the best player in the league.

Ask not what you can do for your country but ask what you can do for THE KID!
  (#10) Old
BMF is on a distinguished road

Default 05-29-2001, 02:14 PM

The Kid, great post!

I totally agree with you. I think Kobe is a great player, who has great stats, and could well be the second best player in the league.

But he won't be the most dominant player in the league, at least until Shaq retires. Shaq is the one that causes match-ups problems for any team in the league, and he is the reason Kobe has much more freedom that Jordan had at this time.

BTW, if Shaq played alongside with Iverson, McGrady or even not super-star players such as Allen, Finley, Houston or Francis, his team would beat a team with Kobe and say Carter with not very good centers.
  (#11) Old
Guru
Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 50
Default 05-29-2001, 02:17 PM

big difference between pippen and kobe. kobe is putting up the numbers to back up anyone saying that he "could be" the best in the nba.
i don't think he is. but he has put up good enough numbers to at least warrant the consideration.
at the time, pippen didn't put up the numbers to warrant that consideration.
  (#12) Old
Diamond Member

Default 05-29-2001, 02:59 PM

Well I'm not sure I agree totally Murph. I understand what you're saying but I can't say I agree with you completely. Do you know the year Jordan returned and they won the championship, Jordan lead that team ONLY in scoring. Alot of people still thought Jordan was the best defender in the league, but he didn't get the toughest defensive assignment, Pippen did.

I'm not really going to dispute that because Pippens game is far different than Kobe's. Kobe is head and shoulders better than Pippen on the offensive end. However as Jack Ramsey said, there are only three people who he has seen change the game from a defensive standpoint and that was Wilt, Russell and Pippen.

So I think depending on how you look at the player is the judgement of that. However I see what you're saying, I'm not saying your wrong, I just don't fully agree with that.

(#13) Old
Guru
Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 50
Default 05-29-2001, 04:24 PM

if jack ramsay said it, it must be true, i apologize for ever disagreeing with you now that i know that jack ramsay is on your side
  (#14) Old
Diamond Member

Default 05-29-2001, 04:30 PM

Exactly!