Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

(#1) Old
Golden Member
reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

vCash: 500
Default 06-30-2001, 03:26 PM

Im not saying he is the next Kareem or Shaq, but come on- dropping to #46?!?!!? WOW. I feel that is a steal. Big men in the NBA are a Luxury, and Woods could some day soon be a better than average center in the NBA. Not a dominating center, but one that can get 14 points a game or so and 10 boards. Alot better than many teams in the NBA have now-including my Milwaukee Bucks!!!!

Of all the preposterous assumptions of humanity over humanity, nothing exceeds most of the criticisms made on the habits of the poor by the well-housed, well- warmed, and well-fed."
Sponsored Links
  (#2) Old
Golden Member
Mavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the roughMavinator is a jewel in the rough

vCash: 500
Default 06-30-2001, 05:00 PM

If he gets over his back problems, I wish him success, but there's a reason he fell so far...

HEY MAVINATOR SHUT UR CHEESE AND GO GET UR BUT BUCKNERIZED QUEER!!!
  (#3) Old
Guru
MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

vCash: 1300
Default 06-30-2001, 10:24 PM

Well said Mavinator...some of those teams that passed on him had multiply picks and still didn't take a chance on him. Obviously Dallas wasn't the only physical he didn't pass.

(#4) Old
Guru
MFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant future

vCash: 25
Default 07-01-2001, 12:26 AM

plffft!
------------------------------------------------
Thursday, June 28
By Andy Katz
ESPN.com

NBA teams started to run scared of Loren Woods' twice surgically repaired back after the 7-foot-1 senior center went through physicals at the NBA pre-draft camp three weeks ago in Chicago. But, even then, Woods' agent, Matt Muehlebach, wasn't prepared for what ensued in the final 48 hours prior to Wednesday's draft.

Muehlebach and Arizona assistant Jim Rosborough had to react to what they said were false rumors about Woods' health in the two days leading up to the draft. Rosborough said he called teams 12 to 20 in the first round. Muehlebach said he offered up Woods' Arizona doctors, who had performed the disk surgery after the 1999-2000 season. He tried to give them documentation that his play this past season showed he was fine. He even made calls a few hours before the draft.

But it was to no avail as the preseason college basketball player of the year candidate and onetime lottery lock dropped deep into the second round before Minnesota selected him at No. 46.

Woods' plummeting stock was the shocker of Wednesday's draft and teams around the NBA were hush-hush on discussing the nature of it Thursday, leaving the explanation to Muehlebach and Rosborough.

"There were rumors flying around that were totally false," Muehlebach said. "They were mean-spirited rumors. But people were even more concerned about his back. Everything started to happen after Chicago. He's absolutely fine. But to a lot of teams, he flunked the physical. They weren't comfortable with it."

Muehlebach said once teams started to pass on Woods, such as Orlando, Toronto, Houston, Sacramento and Philadelphia, then the snowball effect caught on with the rest of the league. He said he wasn't surprised that teams atop the second round that didn't have a first-round pick, such as New York, passed on him. The Knicks chose Kansas center Eric Chenowith over Woods at No. 43.

"They saw that no one else was taking him so they weren't going to," Muehlebach said. "They didn't look at him because they didn't expect him to be there. They weren't going to spend the time to call the doctors. They weren't willing to take a chance."

Rosborough got an emergency call from Muehlebach, a former Arizona player turned agent, over the weekend.

"I knew the Magic loved him and then all of a sudden. ..." Rosborough said. "Matt was feeling like there were people out there damaging him. It's embarrassing. It's ridiculous."

Woods had a trying senior season. He considered leaving for the NBA a year ago, but the back surgery that ended his junior season early forced him to return to the Wildcats. He began the season sitting the first six games for an NCAA violation after it was determined that he accepted an extra benefit. He had trouble dealing with the death of Bobbi Olson, the wife of coach Lute Olson, and had an emotional outburst in a game against Cal at the beginning of the Pacific-10 season. He had to be restrained and was ejected. His season bottomed out when he was suspended for a game on the Oregon trip when he had an outburst at a practice.

But he regrouped and ended up averaging 16 points, 7.7 rebounds and four blocks in six NCAA Tournament games.

"I hurt for Loren," Rosborough said. "It's just not right. He has had a very tough season. I thought this would crush him but this will probably inspire him. He could have a chip on his shoulder and do well. He's with the right team now."

In fact, Woods is actually ecstatic. His salary drops from an estimated $1.4 million to potentially $350,000 without a guaranteed contract. But he has a chance to go to a team that could use a center -- the Timberwolves, whose first-round pick was taken away because of its illegal contract agreement with Joe Smith.

"He's really excited about where he's going and sees it as a tremendous opportunity," Muehlebach said. "He's going to a playoff team and gets a chance to play next to Kevin Garnett. He's a first-round pick. But all these concerns were about his health and his back was the main sticking point. It wasn't fair but he's fine and he's ready to go."
  (#5) Old
Guru
MFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant future

vCash: 25
Default 07-06-2001, 11:22 PM

You can find this article at:
----------------------------------------------------------------
Former Arizona star Woods might choose Europe over NBA
JULY 6, 2001

MINNEAPOLIS -- Draft pick Loren Woods might play in Europe next season instead of signing with the Minnesota Timberwolves.

After working out for Timberwolves coaches for the first time Friday, the 7-1, 245-pound Woods, taken out of Arizona in the second round with the 46th overall choice, said several European teams have contacted him.

"I'm just as serious about (Europe) as I am about signing a contract here," Woods said. "I would fit right in in an organization like this, but I've got to do what's best for me. Right now I don't really know what that is yet."

Timberwolves coach Flip Saunders is sure Woods will suit up for Minnesota.

"I know that he's going to play in the NBA and play for us, whether it's this year or next year," Saunders said. "I hope that he's going to look at his opportunity as far as this year and realize that this is the place for him to be."