Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

(#1) Old
Administrator
djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Default 07-11-2001, 04:36 PM

Raptors to lock up Davis for five years

The Toronto Raptors will not lose Antonio Davis to free agency.

Davis, an All-Star forward, has agreed to a five-year, $60 million contract with the Raptors, ESPN's David Aldridge reported on Wednesday. The deal will become official on July 18th when teams are allowed to begin signing players.

Davis was instrumental in Toronto's playoff run, which ended in Game 7 of the Eastern Conference semifinals with a loss to the 76ers. Davis averaged 16.4 points and 11.1 rebounds in 12 playoff games. The 32-year-old Davis averaged 13.7 points and 10.1 rebounds in 78 regular season games, helping the Raptors earn a playoff spot.

Davis was courted by several NBA teams, including the Magic. Davis resides in Orlando during the offseason.

Source: Raptors to lock up Davis for five years
Sponsored Links
  (#2) Old
Diamond Member
Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Default 07-11-2001, 05:11 PM

Hmm, this kind of suprises me...
  (#3) Old
Diamond Member
seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Default 07-11-2001, 07:40 PM

i join the club.

something very unexpected to me.

now webber has a new destination?
orlando shipping some guys to the kings for cwebb? what do you think ...

just imagine what orlando may look like ...

Some center, CWebb, Grant Hill, Tracy McGrady, Darrell Armstrong

solid stuff for LA, wont you agree?

j

no one knows cunellies next move ...
  (#4) Old
Guru
MFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant futureMFFL has a brilliant future

Default 07-11-2001, 08:57 PM

I have to say I'm shocked. I would have never guessed that Davis would re-sign.
  (#5) Old
Guru
MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Default 07-11-2001, 09:34 PM

This surprised me too...if one of the big free agents were going to leave for a new team, I thought it would be Davis.

(#6) Old
Golden Member
Flying Tiger is on a distinguished road

Default 07-11-2001, 10:22 PM

Yeah...now Orlando has to recall all the Antonio Davis Magic jerseys already in circulation.

"Why don't I go eat hay, down by the bay? I can make things out of clay. I just may. What do you say?"
  (#7) Old
Administrator
djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Default 07-11-2001, 11:07 PM

Here's some more surprising news. ESPN is reporting that the Raptors have all but inked a seven-year deal with Jerome Williams, and they're also set to re-sign Alvin Williams to a five-year deal!
  (#8) Old
Golden Member
Flying Tiger is on a distinguished road

Default 07-11-2001, 11:12 PM

I think that assures Toranto as VC's home for awhile.

"Why don't I go eat hay, down by the bay? I can make things out of clay. I just may. What do you say?"
  (#9) Old
Diamond Member
TheKid is on a distinguished road

Default 07-12-2001, 08:59 AM

That surprises me, I would think they would NOT want to lock some of these people up and save as much cap room available to try and resign Vince.

Ask not what you can do for your country but ask what you can do for THE KID!
  (#10) Old
Platinum Member
Hoopsmeister has a spectacular aura aboutHoopsmeister has a spectacular aura about

Default 07-12-2001, 12:24 PM

They'll have bird rights to VC, allowing them to sign him for the max whatever their cap situation right? I would think they would be worrying about the luxury tax implications, but other than their own fiscal worries, I don't think signing VC supporting cast otherwise hurts them at all.

Basketball 101: The point of the game is to put the ball through hoop.
Corollary #1: If you put the ball through the hoop more than the other guy, you win.
Corollary #2: If you can't do that, get off the floor.
  (#11) Old
Administrator

Default 07-12-2001, 12:26 PM

Yea they should be able to max out VC b/c of his Bird rights. I guess re-signing Alvin, Jerome, and Antonio was more of a precautionary measure then anything else. If Antonio had gone to Orlando, the chances of re-signing VC would have reduced a bit.
  (#12) Old
Diamond Member
TheKid is on a distinguished road

Default 07-12-2001, 12:28 PM

OK that would explain it to me...

Ask not what you can do for your country but ask what you can do for THE KID!
  (#13) Old
Guru
MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Default 07-12-2001, 12:32 PM

Oh, I hadn't heard that Alvin Williams had reached an agreement too...interesting.

(#14) Old
Administrator

Default 07-12-2001, 02:24 PM

How did Toronto manage to keep Davis? According to BskBALL, not only did they fix him up with a hefty $64 million paycheck, they also gave a job to his wife!

07/12-WANNA KNOW WHAT WON AD?- Well, offering $64 million over 5 years was part of it, especially when the next best offer was almost half (the Bulls never talked money with AD). The real turning point on the deal was when Toronto agreed to hire Davis's wife to be part of their new 24 hours sports Network set to launch in the Toronto area. The Raptors are said to have tweaked a number of points of the deal, including involving Ms. Davis in team related activities. The Raptors are also expecting Jerome Williams to announce he's come to terms on a 7 year deal at roughly $32 million some time today. Alvin Williams is telling people he's interested in money, but he feels strongly his best place is Toronto. If the Raptors can move out Charles Oakley, they will have no problem matching Chicago's $5 million per year offer.