View Single Post
Old 05-14-2009, 11:16 AM   #127
BGMaverick9
Guru

BGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond reputeBGMaverick9 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sefant77 View Post
How do we price up a player if we just have the MLE for a player that will get anyway clearly above MLE?

Like i said, i think our use of the MLE will depend if we make expensive deals for Stack and Damp. If we switch them for longer contracts i can see us not using the MLE since our payroll will be huge and our team allready pretty good.
Artest and Ariza fall in that line of players who would have to slip to us to get them for the MLE...but you can drive up the price and mess other teams up. That's part of the game as well. But the market isn't going to be a huge buyer's market this summer as well. The economy is scaring owners and you saw with NO, they're ready to unload players to get salary relief...teams are going to want to do that.

Cuban clearly falls in line in the very small group that will want to be a buyer. There is a difference tho between being a buyer and having the access/weapons to ACTUALLY be one. He has the money and he has the contracts (some just contracts, some talent with the contracts) to bring players in. He doesn't care about the price-tag, he just wants to win.

The FO really can't get caught up in loving their own guys. There are going to be deals available for guys that are in our range of wish-list kind of guys. The reason I know that's true is because those trades were there already, we just said no because we loved our guys too much.

X is available, but are you willing to trade Josh?
Y is ready to be done, but they're asking for Bass to top it off.

If X or Y is an upgrade...you've got to do the deals.

I see Jet being mentioned a lot to trade...I'm about 90% certain that's not happening unless we do a mega blockbuster, something bigger than we are imagining...that's hard to see. It's the economy, teams are looking 1-2 years down the road and anyone who has a contract past that isn't interesting. Someone who has that and the contract is pretty substantial...no way.