View Single Post
Old 06-03-2009, 09:15 AM   #36
craggmac
Golden Member

craggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinemablend View Post
Have you watched the games?

He gets in the paint all the time. The reason you may not have noticed is because he never actually SCORES in the paint. He gets in the paint and immediately passes it to someone standing around on the arc. He does this even when he's all alone in the paint and should be able to make an easy layup.

Sometimes he gets in the paint by backing down other point guards. One big advantage Kidd has over other PGs is size, and it gives him the ability to back down other point guards and basically force them in the paint at will. The problem with this is that once he's in the paint, he can't score so it's all but useless. Sometimes he gets in the paint simply because he's smart and knows how to get open and out think other players too. Bottom line, he gets in the paint, he just doesn't score in the paint.

Every now you'll see him get in the paint and dump it off to Dampier. Normally, on a team with a center who doesn't have hands made of stone, this would be a brilliant move which would help offset his inability to make a layup. Unfortunately Dampier just drops it and Kidd remembers "oh yeah I'm playing with Dampier" and gives up.

What I'm getting at here is that we have a playmaker at PG. We need players around him who can actually finish when he sets up a great play for them. While a SG who can create his own shot and slash to the basket would be nice, I don't think it's nearly as critical as having a center who can finish, especially if you're going to keep Kidd.

And let's face it, the Mavs have had good SG's before. They've pretty much never had a good center, and the reason they never have one is that every time they should get one they listen to people who say exactly what you're saying... and so the Mavs continue never ever to have a center.

Hey, let's try getting a Center for once!
Man, I think we're finally starting to all get on the same page here!
craggmac is offline   Reply With Quote