View Single Post
Old 06-06-2009, 10:26 PM   #17
Thespiralgoeson
Guru

Thespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond reputeThespiralgoeson has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by grndmstr_c View Post
It's not about hoping or thinking that Gortat would be a significant upgrade to Damp. It's about being opportunistic in a situation that arguably sets up pretty well for Dallas from a number of angles, and hopefully having it pay off by getting a guy who can rebound, block shots, move well, and run the floor at the center position, and who, most importantly, can play his game effectively against big frontcourts and athletic frontcourts alike. The Mavs don't have anyone like that right now, it's a problem that needs to be addressed, and there very well may not be a better option available than Gortat once the cost of acquisition is taken into account. He wouldn't have to be the missing piece. If he could even just be Damp, but manage to do it against the Denvers of the league in addition to the San Antonio's, that'd be a step in the right direction.
I understand, but you yourself have said that Dampier is more than likely not going anywhere unless it's a clear cut win for Dallas. If Dampier isn't being traded, then I am of opinion that we're better off using the resources that it would cost to get Gortat on a swingman. If we trade Damp, then yes, Gortat is a no brainer. Otherwise I'd rather have another athletic scorer off the bench than having a Damp/Gortat combo.

I'm just saying as far as the MLE goes, I think there are better places to spend it. If there are no good wingmen available for the MLE, then sure, Gortat would be nice.

Edit: I also should say that I think people really are making too much of the "athletic big man" thing. I know Nene lit us up, but frankly I think there are a lot fewer players like that than people seem to realize. Over the course of the season, I think we take a hell of a lot more damage from high caliber guards than we do from the Nene's of the league. That's all I'm saying here. I think a scoring wingman off the bench is a higher priority than the "athletic big man."

Last edited by Thespiralgoeson; 06-06-2009 at 10:31 PM.
Thespiralgoeson is offline   Reply With Quote