View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 03:09 PM   #1658
TheMaverick
Golden Member

TheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to beholdTheMaverick is a splendid one to behold

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...center-edition

Part 1

Quote:
No one can argue that the Dallas Mavericks need to make over the center position. There is no denying Erick Dampier has been a "serviceable" center. There is no denying he has been a workhorse, and the very fact he stayed healthy all season long was an asset by itself.

But for the Mavericks to be Championship contenders, they need more from the center position.
What did we get from Dampier this past season? Keep in mind he only averaged 23 minutes a game. He did give us 80 games, which is remarkable for a 33 year-old center.
Dampier also gave us an average of 5.7 pts per game. His touches were an average of 3.5, and have been on the decline since he has been with the Mavericks. His shooting average was up a bit, which I'll credit that to Jason Kidd's passing.

Dampier gave us 7.1 rebounds per game last season; 2.7 on offense, 4.4 on defense. Those are also numbers that have been declining every season since he has been with the Mavericks.

The only numbers that have increased for Dampier are the ones on his paycheck. He boasts the third-highest salary on the Mavs' roster—$11.5 million for the past season. I don't think we got our money's worth.

To have his 2010-11 salary guaranteed, Dampier has to play 2,100 minutes this coming season. It averages out to only 25.6 minutes a game, that is assuming he plays 82 games a year. He averages 25.2 minutes per game for his career, and that number has gone down the last few years.

Dampier's postseason game really wasn't that great when you think about it. In the first round he played against Tim Duncan who had two bad knees. Dampier should have easily been able to beat Duncan, but he only barely did. Worst of all, Dampier could not keep Tony Parker out of our paint. But we survived that round.
In the second round against Denver, Dampier quickly proved to be outmatched by the much more athletic Nene. How many time did we see Nene and the other Nuggets score a back-door dunk in Dampier's face? Let's face it, Dampier was a liability against Denver's big men.

Let's take a moment to define serviceable: Good enough to get you through the regular season, but won't get you an NBA ring.

The Mavericks have never had a "dominant" center. Their current offense doesn't require much scoring from that position.

Our center's job is to anchor the defense, protect the paint, but most importantly grab rebounds. Any scoring is just added gravy.

To quote head coach Rick Carlisle: "Transition offense starts with defensive stops."

So most of our transition offense start with a defensive rebound, sometimes a block or a steal. The rebounder then flips the ball to the point guard, who passes on to the wing position.

Only in the half-court set does the center come into play in scoring.

The center will set screens for pick-n-roll plays by drawing or blocking his defender away from the ball handler. That is important to open up the scoring lanes and minimize double teaming.

A few scoring plays are mixed in for the center, too, such as rolling to the basket off a pick-n-roll, or a slam dunk off an alley-oop pass.

So we don't expect much point-wise, from our centers. What we demand is rebounding. He should marshall the paint like he owns it.

Rebounding by committee just doesn't work well for the Mavericks. Our shooters should be more focused on scoring their shots than making rebounds. The bottom line is if the center is not going to create points, he better be a double-digit rebounder.

The following commentaries are presented in round table-style between Janet Kessler and Alex McVeigh, two Dallas Mavericks Community Members, on some available centers.

Will the Mavericks find that ultimate center, for their quest to the top of the league?

Zaza Pachulia: An unrestricted free agent. His salary last season was worth $4.0 million.

Alex: Zaza Pachulia is pretty good, though he doesn't play much, so it's hard to tell if he could be a legit center. He's 25, pretty athletic, a good shooter, and good on the boards, and I think he's 7 feet. Although, when he started for Atlanta in 05-06 and 06-07, he averaged about 12 PPG, but only 7-8 rebounds.

Janet: Pachulia has been the Hawks' primary backup to starter Al Horford. He has made it known that he wants to stay with the Hawks. He's a nice young, athletic seven-footer. Just don't think he is the rebounder we are looking for.

Mikki Moore: An unrestricted free agent. His salary last season was $5.784 million.

Alex: I've always liked Mikki Moore back to his days in New Jersey. He is 33 though, so I don't know if he could play starter's minutes anymore. He certainly didn't this year.

Janet: Playing behind someone like Kevin Garnett won't get you a lot of playing time anywhere. I tried looking at games where Moore had good minutes, I just don't see an improvement over Dampier. Who's next on the list?

Brian Scalabrine: Unrestricted with one season left on his $15 million contract. Last season paid him $3.2 million.

Alex: As far as Scalabrine goes, I would stay away from him. Aside from his obvious deficiencies (he's a big, slow, red-headed whitey), he can't do much other than take up space on the floor. I don't think he rebounds or shoots very well. The Celtics used him last season as their "human victory cigar" he used to come in during the garbage
time. I know he played some meaningful minutes for the C's in the play-offs with KG out, but I don't think he's worth trading anyone away, not even Matt Carroll.

Janet: Ooo, that's really strong Alex. Apparently the Celtics are thinking the same thing too (almost). According to their team site, they're willing to put up Scalabrine, Allen, and Giddens for a good backup for Paul Pierce. He is definitely not what we are shopping for.

Nazr Mohammed: Unrestricted, and on his final year of contract that netted him $6 million last season.

Alex: I think Mohammed is a decent enough center. His numbers look pretty similar to Dampier, though I think he's pretty good on the offensive glass. He's 31, so he's slightly younger, but he didn't play much this year, I'm not sure if that's a reflection on him, or the Bobcats' big men. He's got good FT numbers for a big man though.

Janet: Mohammed has made it clear to the Charlotte front office: Play me or trade me. He'll be 32 at the start of training camp. I don't know, only slightly younger than Dampier. Looking past last seasons stats, they are no better than Dampier's. Let's keep shopping Alex.

Jerome James: An unrestricted free agent. Last season salary was worth $6.2 million.

Alex:
Jerome James is one of those players that you can't believe pulls down $6.2 per year. He's 33, and 7'1", but he only played in two games this season. his best year was 2004-05 with the Sonics, when he averages 24.9 PPG and 10.2 RPG. Since then, he hasn't averaged more than 10 minutes per game, and hasn't averages more than three points and two rebs per game.
I'm not really sure why the drop-off, apparently he was in a contract year in 04-05, and once the Knicks signed him to a big deal, he showed up out of shape, and hasn't done anything since then.

Side note on James, he also played in only two games in 07-08, but made one field goal and two free throws in the game, giving him a 1.000 FG% and FT% for the season. Also, he was paid $5.8 million that year, meaning he got around $1.45 mil per point. Not a bad gig.

Janet: He's been injured the past three seasons. His last injury may be career ending; he ruptured his Achilles' tendon. Also his age is a factor, he is 32. I would stay far, far away from this guy. There is still a lot of shopping to do.

Zyndrunas Ilgauskas: Unrestricted free-agent, with a player option. His last season salary netted him $10.8 million.

Alex: Zyndrunas used to be one of my favorite players to watch. He could shoot the mid range jumper like crazy, and he was always a decent rebounder. This season, however, he has been like a corpse, plus he's pretty injury prone being so big, and I believe he exercised his player option for something around $11-12 mil.

Janet: This 34 year-old has made it known he wants to stay in Cleveland. He is fun to watch, with nice scoring numbers. His rebounding numbers aren't much better than Dampier's, though.

Oh well, I don't think we'll see "Big Z" in a Mavericks uniform anyway. Who's next?

Stay Tuned for Part II...
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...dition-part-ii

Part 2

Quote:
Part II of a discussion of available centers that the Dallas Mavericks could pursue, brought to you by Janet Kessler and Alex McVeigh, two Dallas Mavericks community members.

Ben Wallace: Unrestricted free-agent, with one year of contract left. Last season salary netted him $14.5 million.

Alex: Ben Wallace is another guy who is washed up, but the 2003-2005 Wallace could have been great for the Mavs. He doesn't need to score, he just locks down the interior. I know he's got a monster contract, and he isn't worth much of it, cause he's always hurt, and doesn't log big minutes anymore. He averages 4.2 points and seven rebounds in 26.3 minutes this year.

Janet: According to the Cavaliers team site, the team can't afford for Wallace to retire. They would have to carry his final salary under cap for the season, or work out a buy out. More than likely he will be trade bait. I don't think the Mavs will be biting.

Anderson Varejao: Unrestricted free-agent. Last season salary was worth $5.8 million.

Alex: Besides Ben Gordon, I don't think there's a player in the league that I like less than Anderson Varejao. He provides a decent presenceinside, and he's good on the boards, but he flops like a fish, and he thinks that he is way more valuable than he is.

He held out most of the season after the Cavs went to the Finals, because he wanted a bigger deal, which he didn't get until Charlotte made an offer and the Cavs matched it.

He shoots at a decent percentage, but he's never scored more than nine points per game, or rebound more than eight per game, and I don't think he's a starter on a good team. He'll probably get overpaid by a bad team.

Janet: Varejao's scoring averages have been on the rise every season. This flop-artist is no shot-blocker. He would be a better fit in Hollywood than the Mavericks.

Chris Andersen: An unrestricted free-agent. Last season salary was worth $1.939 million.

Alex:
I think Andersen is one of those guys who gives you more than stats, plus he can hit a midrange jumper, and shoot free throws. I think he could be a great energy guy off the bench.

Janet: According to the team site, Andersen is hoping to re-sign with Denver. He is loyal to them for helping with his drug re-hab. His value could demand the mid-cap exception, around $5.6 million.

Besides the crazy hair and tattoo sleeves, he is amazing to watch. Andersen was the league’s No. 2 shot blocker. I think Denver will do all they can to keep him. But we can dream.

Kwame Brown: An unrestricted free-agent. Last season salary was worth $4.0 Million.

Alex: Kwame Brown does not bring good memories around the D.C. area. He was the Wizards first overall pick in 2001, made by Michael Jordan. They passed on Pau Gasol, Jason Richardson, Joe Johnson and Tony Parker. He has the skill set, he's only 27, but he has absolutely no motivation. When he was traded to the Lakers, the fans used to boo him, he did nothing when he was on the Pistons for last year, and I doubt he'll be making any sort of contributions. He's a poor man's Dampier; no hands, no leap and not much defense.

Janet: Brown has to decide whether or not to exercise his $4.1 million players option. Although he is cheaper than Dampier, his points and rebounding are no better. He is not what we are looking for.

Antonio McDyess: An unrestricted free-agent. Last season salary was worth $6.8 million.

Alex: McDyess is pretty good, but he's 34. I know the Pistons wanted him back in the Nuggets trade, but once they got him off waivers, he wasn't super effective off the bench. He averaged about 10 points and 10 rebounds, but played almost 30 minutes per game. He's a pretty good defender though.

Janet: McDyess' shooting and rebounding numbers are slightly better than Dampier's. His salary fits better under the cap too. I'll put him as a possible, we might have to come back for a second look.

Rasheed Wallace: An unrestricted free-agent. His last season salary was worth $13.68 million.

Alex: Rasheed Wallace is also 34, and has the questionable emotional baggage. I like his skill set, but he seems to be having trouble motivated, and he pretty much quit on the Pistons this year, and he tends to spread that discontent around a locker room.

He's got a good shooting stroke. His numbers have fallen off ever since that championship season though, he only averaged 12 points and seven rebounds as a starter last season. He and Josh might get along though, I think they've both had their run-ins with doing certain off-court activities.

Janet: The Pistons' team site states Wallace wants $8 million, for next season. It also said if he doesn't get it, he might retire. He can still shoot his way to double figures, on average. His rebounding is no better than Dampier. He could be an if all else fails choice.

Marcus Camby: Unrestricted with one season lest on his contract. Last season salary was worth $10.00 million.

Alex:
Besides the transition thing mentioned in part one, Camby could be a good answer for the Mavs. He's great at locking down the paint, but I don't think he runs very well. I think he can shoot a jumper though, which could spread out the floor for others.
I think he's an expiring contract, so he could prove to be a decent rental for part of the season, the Mavs could always dump him at the deadline. He is a rebounding machine too, as he pulled down 27 last December. Of the ones in this group, I like him the best.

Janet:
The Clippers own the No. 1 pick of the draft, and are expected to take Blake Griffin. The Clippers can't afford Griffin and stay under Cap. I wouldn't mind if Dallas helped them with their salary problem, for Camby.
Even with declining numbers, Camby looks like the rebounding machine were looking for. Mark Cuban are you reading this?

Lamar Odom: An unrestricted free-agent. His salary last season was worth $14.148 million.

Alex:
One of the most versatile, if not inconsistent players in the game. He can play all five positions, he's got size and speed, and can do things like bring the ball across half-court, to post someone up in a matter of seconds, which not many players can do.

He's not very consistent though, and he makes a lot of money ($14 million), though I think he said he expects to take a pay cut. When he's playing well, his teams are hard to stop.

Janet: According to the Lakers team site, Odom want to re-sign with the Lakers. He is even willing to take a pay-cut to stay. Unless some team makes him a lucrative offer he can't refuse, he's not leaving LA. In this financial climate that is unlikely to happen.

Shelden Williams: An unrestricted free-agent. His last season salary was worth $13.8 million.

Alex:
He was pretty good in college, and he's young (25). He's also undersized though, and I think he's more famous for being married to Candace Parker. He doesn't play much, and only made 15 appearances last season.

Janet:
We might have something here. Williams scored a double-double against Denver's and the Lakers' big men. He is a little pricey though. He could be an impact player, being so young.

Tyson Chandler: An unrestricted free-agent with one season left on his contract. His last season salary was worth $11.4 million.

Alex:
He's only 26, and can finish the alley-oop with the best of them, but his health is a major concern. He's had a series of foot problems, one of which caused that trade to OKC to get nixed.
He's a good defender though, and he's pretty athletic. If there was a good backup behind him (Ryan Hollins perhaps?), he could be a solid contributor.

Janet:
Rumors through the NBA grapevine, says the Hornets organization is hurting for cash. The Hornets might be willing to move Chandler. Chandler will be iffy for the start of training camp. He is recovering from surgery to his left ankle and big toe.

David Lee: A restricted free-agent. His last season salary was worth $1.78 million.

Alex:
Another undersized center/forward. Lee is very athletic, he can shoot and dunk, and he's a monster around the boards.
He's capable of putting up a double-double every night, but it could be tough to put him against seven-footers.

Janet:
Lee is a double-double machine, leading the league with 65 of them. The Knicks want to do a sign and trade for him. The Knicks are looking to clear cap-space for 2010.

Marcin Gortat: A restricted free-agent. His last season salary was worth $711,000.

Alex: His performance backing up Dwight Howard has earned him the shot at a big payday, and he looks to be worth it. He's pretty athletic, and managed good production out of limited time playing behind the best center in the NBA.
But, there is a reason he bounced around a few times, and he could be a classic contract year phenomenon. He'll probably get overpaid by somebody, and I don't think he'll do well as a starting center.

Janet:
He was great to watch in the finals. The Magic are more determined to re-sign Hedo Turkoglu. Even if it breaks the teams salary cap to do it.
Gortat could be a casualty of the Luxury tax. Mavericks better keep an eye on him.

Shaquille O'Neal: An unrestricted free-agent with one season of contract left. Last season salary was worth $20.0 million.

Alex:
Quite a price tag, and at the tail end of his usefulness, but he sells tickets, gets headlines, and seems to be a good locker room guy, although recent reports have indicated the opposite.
Before his stint in Phoenix, he also seemed to bring winning wherever he goes, but he may still have another season left in the tank, the problem is is it worth gambling another year (possibly the last) of Dirk's prime to find out? I don’t think so.

Janet:
The rumors have been flying about O'Neal coming to Dallas since the All-Star break. Partly due to all the Twittering between Mark Cuban and him. I really don't want him here. He is too expensive, but if there is no one else, than maybe.

LaMarcus Aldridge: A restricted free-agent with one season of contract left. His last season salary was worth $4.6 million.

Alex:
Better suited as a power forward, he is a good, small ball center as well. Good on the boards, can shoot from about 15 feet, but he's far from dominant on the glass. If he was a starting center, I don't think he would do well against any seven-footer though, but he might be athletic enough to make up for it.

Janet:
Aldridge is listed as 6'11", so he is big enough. His rebounding is in the neighborhood of Dampier's. This guy would be a good scoring option. We can go that route.

Joel Przybilla: An unrestricted free-agent with one season of contract left. His last season salary was worth $6.3 million.

Alex:
The Vanilla Gorilla? He's a pretty good center, and a tough guy to boot. If he can be platooned with an athletic guy, even if he's smaller, Przybilla could make half of a good center duo.

Janet:
Przybilla is better rebounder than a scorer. The Mavericks could live with that, as long as he puts up big numbers on rebounds.

Drew Gooden: An unrestricted free-agent. His last season salary was worth $7.1 million.

Alex:
A monster physically, he's got an intriguing skill-set, but I don't think he's consistent enough. He's a good counter to big centers defensively, and he can even hit the occasional jumper, but he shouldn't be counted on as the main provider for either of those.

Janet:
Gooden is more consistent as a scorer, than Dampier. I don't know if he would give the Mavericks anymore rebounding than Dampier.

Fabrico Oberto: An unrestricted free-agent with one season of contract left. His last season of salary was worth $3.6 million.

Alex:
He might be available soon, but I think he's had some heart problems as of late. If the price is right, he could be worth it for just the boost on the offensive glass, he is great at tipping out rebounds and giving his team a shot at second half points. With a good enough offense, an extra four or five possessions could be huge for a team.

Janet:
On June 8, Oberto underwent a procedure to correct an atrial fibrillation. He will soon began a conservative cardiovascular exercise program. He has all summer to get back to full speed. A nice backup or tandem center. Don't think he could do starter minutes.

Mehmet Okur: An unrestricted free-agent. His last season salary was worth $9.0 million.

Alex:
I've always been a big fan of his. He's the player Andrea Bargnani has the best hope of playing like. Great shooting stroke, pretty good on the boards, though he's not a defensive world-beater. He has struggled with injury, and might be setter served
playing as a power forward, but he's solid.

Janet:
Okur matches Dampier's rebounding numbers well. Most impressive is his scoring, that would complement the Mavericks core, very well.

Brendan Haywood: An unrestricted free-agent with one season of contract left. Last season salary was worth $5.5 million.

Alex:
Brendan Haywood is one of the most underrated centers in the league, and the secret reason the Wizard were so bad last year was the fact that he was gone. Great defender, monster on the boards, and he shoots a very high percentage.
He's smart about his shots, but he's got a few low-post moves to get him his points. He turns 30 in November, and has proven he can be a good starting center. Don't know his contract situation, but he would be a great find.

Janet:
Haywood's rebounding numbers are close to Dampier's numbers. Looks like if Haywood had decent floor minutes, scoring numbers would be impressive as well.

Let the makeover begin:
As you can see from the list big men are a plenty this summer, but a good big man is so hard to find. It would have easier for me, and less writing, to just list all the hot prospects.
I wanted you the reader, see what a difficult task it is to find the just the right one.
The Mavericks brain-trust have a lot of work to do. It will be extremely hard to makeover the Mavericks center position. For the Mavericks to reach the ultimate prize, they have no choice but to do so.

The Legendary Mavericks:
- Mark Aguirre
- Rolando Blackman
- Tom Cruise
- Jason Kidd
- Mel Gibson
- Michael Finley
- Dirk Nowitzki
- Jason Kidd (again)
- who's next?
TheMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote