View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009, 10:20 AM   #1500
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirno2000 View Post
I wouldn't call it the ugly side of basketball. If you do your job scouting and developing a player you should have a chance to keep him if he gets good.

As far as Gortat if he really wanted to control his own destiny he could have signed his qualifying offer and been free to play anywhere he wanted next year.

Both Dallas and Gortat knew the risk they were taking so as much as I hate how it turned out Otis Smith didn't do anything wrong by matching the offer. He's trying to keep his team competitive with the East getting better around him.
I agree Smith didn't do anything illegal or wrong from a business perspective. But when you weigh the pros and cons of re-signing the guy it's not even close imo. It's a surprising move and one that doesn't make much sense. It's also heartless. The NBA is obviously a business but there is a human factor that shouldn't be ignored. Too often ignoring the human factor screws up team chemistry and signals the decline of an organization. The Magic have done the equivalent of an "all in" by signing both Gortat and Bass. If it doesn't end up in a championship in the next year or two, then may very well be headed for a rough road. You go too far in the direction of treating these talented players like property and it will end up biting you in the arse. Just my opinion.