View Single Post
Old 08-04-2009, 10:35 AM   #9
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

Nuggets guard J.R. Smith's Twitter page creating controversy
Several recent tweets have been written in a way that gives the impression of an association with a street gang.
By Chris Dempsey
The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_12986511

Nuggets guard J.R. Smith's tweets are raising questions among fans. Several recent posts by Smith on his page — twitter.com/jr_smith1 — are written in a way that is commonly associated with the Bloods street gang.

Words that would have a "C" in them are replaced with "K," or if a word has both in them, the "C" is removed altogether. Smith has nearly 15,000 followers on his Twitter page.

"Those are still little messages that are being transcended back to some of the neighborhoods," said Rev. Leon Kelly, executive director of Open Door Youth Gang Alternatives in Denver. "Not to say in no way is he promoting a gang. But people got to understand that a lot of these kids come from gang neighborhoods. Their friends are still involved in doing what they do. Just because one was able to get out of that lifestyle, many of them don't forget where they come from."

On a post Sunday, Smith exclaimed "Vegas here I kome!" Last week he wrote that he "Kant wait to get bak in the swing of things."

A post last week, upon his release from jail, caused an online debate among Denver Post readers about the topic. Smith, at the time, thanked his fans and wrote, "I just Kame home. . . . I kouldnt have done it with out yall."

Messages to Smith and his agent, Arn Tellem, seeking comment were not returned Monday.

Smith, 23, is aware of what is posted on his account. Monday morning he implored those writing messages to "watch what you say on here it gets me in a lot of trouble!"
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote