View Single Post
Old 08-17-2009, 02:35 PM   #1069
tcat075
Diamond Member

tcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond reputetcat075 has a reputation beyond repute

I think a DH/5th OF who was good, patient hitter (OBP >.380) might be helpful to this club. Kinsler may still be that, and Young gets on base, but besides that, the offense is full of young players, and you need a few vets who will be consistent even if the younger players have trouble adjusting to the majors and slump.

If you say there won't be room for this player, I beg to differ. Borbon and Smoak will likely get the Andrus treatment next year...they'll play a majority of the games, but every four or five games, their backup will take their place (just like Andrus and Vizquel). If this guy is an OF/DH, then he can backup both Borbon and Smoak.

(as in, Smoak starts at 1B, when he's not playing, Davis starts at 1B instead of DH, this guy plays DH. when Borbon isn't playing CF, Josh plays CF and this guy plays RF/LF.)

I'm not sure that player is actually going to get signed this offseason, but it would be an addition worth aiming for.

Besides that, I'd like to point out that no one is mentioning Grilli's name when the 2010 bullpen is discussed, despite the fact he's pitched exceptionally for us. 3 runs and 9 hits in 17.2 innings. We'll see if he can keep it up when he returns in a few days, but if he can, you've got to try to retain him as a MRP.

EDIT: In other words, this OF/DH guy would be a Milton Bradley replacement. Adam Dunn is one guy who comes to mind who can do that. Nick Johnson, too, though he plays 1B. Josh Willingham, perhaps. Those types of players.

Last edited by tcat075; 08-17-2009 at 02:44 PM.
tcat075 is offline   Reply With Quote