View Single Post
Old 09-09-2009, 04:18 PM   #13
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos View Post
you're kinda missing my point here.

I'm saying that the enduring nature of the Beatles fad is in large part due to the culturally hegemonic position of the Baby Boomers today...if they had done the same thing as Gen-X'rs or as so-called Greatest Generationers, they wouldn't be nearly as regarded because there just aren't as many Gen-Xrs and GGers.
- You mentioned N-Sync and Color-Me-Badd, so you are saying something more than that. You're making an argument about the quality of their music (ie, that the boomers could have pumped N-Sync to the level of Beatle-mania). You are ignoring that the 60s had their version of N-Sync. They were called the Monkeys. You are also ignoring that those later generations have had success hyping people like Madonna and Michael Jackson. (and Tom-Kat and Paris Hilton and a whole bunch of other people who have reached obscene levels of fame without the delicate generational timing of the Beatles).

You are also ignoring that the Beatles position as early pop mega-stars has value. The Beatles had to invent how to do it. And they had to have music that could be sold to people who weren't already looking for it. There were plenty of other bands at the time who just didn't have it.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote